Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Had my first Impossible Burger

It was... a lot like a regular burger. Indistinguishable, probably. If someone had given it to me unaware, I doubt I would have known the difference.

A little on the expensive side, $7.33 at BK (sandwich only), but I’m guessing scale will bring that down before long.

Overall, I welcome this development. It came along much sooner than I expected.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
It was... a lot like a regular burger. Indistinguishable, probably. If someone had given it to me unaware, I doubt I would have known the difference.

A little on the expensive side, $7.33 at BK (sandwich only), but I’m guessing scale will bring that down before long.

Overall, I welcome this development. It came along much sooner than I expected.
I agree. I've had them a few times; the first one was at a place which over-cooked it a bit; the exterior was too crispy which gave it away. The next couple of times they were cooked right and if I didn't know what it was beforehand they'd have fooled me.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:39 PM

When will it be colloquially called the Impostor Bull Burger?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Good to know. I don't care what it's made of as long as it's delicious. Soy burgers aren't. Faux Gras (soy-based foie gras substitute) really isn't.
Come up with an Impossible Bacon and an Impossible Saucisson and you'll make a vegan out of me yet.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:30 PM

Cool! I'd like to try one. I have no plans to become vegan but I would like to reduce my meat intake, both for health and environment reaasons.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:40 PM

I like the impossibles I've had in restaurants. Nice burger experience. We bought a couple beyond burgers to cook at home, and my wife didn't cook them long enough, so they had a weird texture. My wife and daughter couldn't finish theirs. I tossed mine in the pan for longer and it was delicious. I tried talking them into doing the same, but they were already dead-set against finishing them.

ETA: We've gone vegan this year, and I do know these processed non-meat burgers aren't any healthier than meat, but it's nice to have a burger option once in a while that keeps me on the vegan path.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 08-06-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
ETA: We've gone vegan this year, and I do know these processed non-meat burgers aren't any healthier than meat, but it's nice to have a burger option once in a while that keeps me on the vegan path.
"Healthy" is for losers and weaklings who can't deal with coronary disease by the time they're 30. Feh ! Eat congealed grease on your feet instead of masticating soy granola on your knees, is what Stalin would have said. If he'd been an idiot. I mean more of an.

Last edited by Kobal2; 08-06-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:24 PM

I tried the Impossible Whopper (w/cheese; I'm not a savage) ASAP here in Las Vegas and have now made it my go-to fast food choice. I haven't eaten meat in about 30 years and have had to look at a few of them pretty critically because I have no reference point; for all I know it's a ground beef patty.
Quote:
Veggie burgers have fewer cholesters* than meat burgers; there's that.

*That's how we measure cholesterol, right? In cholesters?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-06-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Cool! I'd like to try one. I have no plans to become vegan but I would like to reduce my meat intake, both for health and environment reaasons.
I expect these things might be kinder to the environment, but they're not really any healthier than beef.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancephalic View Post
When will it be colloquially called the Impostor Bull Burger?
In keeping with their theme, Burger King should call it the Pretender.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I expect these things might be kinder to the environment, but they're not really any healthier than beef.
The target market isn't vegetarians, it's meat eaters who would like to reduce their environmental footprint. The vegetarians are already acclimated to eating a roasted piece of sliced beet on a bun - this is for people who really enjoy the flavor and mouth feel of ground beef. We're fine if it isn't any worse for us than ground beef.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

There is also the matter of the GMO soy, and exposure to glyphosates from Roundup...
https://www.momsacrossamerica.com/gm...nic_glyphosate

Last edited by DaveRaver; 08-06-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Had my first one on Sunday. Put it on the grill and made sure it got a good dose of smoke, cooked it 3 minutes on each side per the package instructions, and served fresh off the grill, nice and hot.

I was unimpressed. It made a decent seat for cheese and mustard, but unadorned it was so bland it was nearly tasteless, and the texture was closer to mystery meat hot dogs than real meat. I gave one to my daughter without telling her what it was and she was neither impressed nor revolted.

Not only that, but it left residue on the grill that I had to scrape off. At least that part was like a real hamburger.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM

I had an Impossible Burger at Red Robin a couple of months ago. It was somewhat underwhelming actually, IMO. It was close to the real thing but also just something kind of odd about it. Maybe it was mental on my part, I don't know. I got it with the melted Swiss and mushrooms, which I have always loved on a regular burger.

IMO the Beyond Burger is better. It doesn't taste like a real burger but also doesn't taste like one of those mushy soy burgers that have been around for years, either.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Had my first one on Sunday.
Your first one what? Beyond, right? Because AFAIK Impossible Burgers still aren't sold in stores.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-06-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Your first one what? Beyond, right? Because AFAIK Impossible Burgers still aren't sold in stores.
Not yet, but they just got cleared by the FDA for direct-to-consumer sales, so should be soon!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

(I’m not as impressed by the Beyond — it has an odd scent to it that I don’t like, but I haven’t noticed anything like that with the Impossible.)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:24 PM

I'm a vegetarian*, and I like both the Beyond Meat burgers and Impossible Burgers. I think they're both a good approximation of the taste and texture of burgers. Not quite like the real thing, but pretty close. The Impossible Burger has a bit of a peanut taste to me, which is a little unusual, though not bad. I also didn't have great success grilling my Beyond Burger, but I'll be giving that another shot.

TGI Fridays does a pretty good Beyond Burger. There's a medium-sized chain called Houlihan's that does a good Impossible Burger. I'm happy to have either.

I also recently tasted the Beyond Meat bratwurst. The texture was just a little off -- they didn't quite snap when I bit into them the way a nice firm brat should, but the taste was really remarkable. Of all the meat alternatives I've had, I think they're the most likely to fool a meat eater.

Oh, and I don't care how healthy they are. I'm a vegetarian for animal compassion, environmental, and other reasons. As I'm eating my Impossible Burger with a mound of fries, downing a few beers, and considering whether I'm going to have a dessert and maybe smoke a cigar later, my health isn't the main thing on my mind.

*Mostly. I succumb to temptation once in a while. I really should go vegan for the animal compassion reasons, but my poor willpower and growing kids are my excuses for keeping eggs, milk, and cheese in the diet.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 08-06-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 AM

I tried a Beyond Burger a couple of weeks ago. The taste on the surface is really good and would have fooled me. Its texture is still a little too light and doesn't quite have the bite of actual beef. Also, it leaves an aftertaste of burnt cereal.

Still, I consider it definitely edible -- in notable contrast to tofu products.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRaver View Post
There is also the matter of the GMO soy, and exposure to glyphosates from Roundup...
Who, exactly, are “Moms Across America,” and why should I listen to them?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:22 AM

Man I'm really torn. I avoid red meat for purposes of polyp-avoidance and discipline. If it's not that much healthier than beef then there's not much discipline in eating a non-meat cheeseburger that tastes just like a meat cheeseburger.

But goddamn do I miss cheeseburgers. Now they need to make an impossible-bacon worth a shit. Turkey bacon is an abomination.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is there more glyphosate than in any other vegetable products? Are the levels high enough to be of concern?

If meat is unhealthy and vegetables are full of poison, should we all just starve?

And what exactly is the problem with GMO soy?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 AM

My daughter and her fiancé are vegetarians and gave both fake meats five stars.

I'm an ominivore. If they cost less than real beef I'd be happy to try them, but at current prices they offer nothing I'm looking for.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Moms Across America is a National Coalition of Unstoppable Moms. You'd better listen... or else!!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Moms Across America is a National Coalition of Unstoppable Moms. You'd better listen... or else!!
Wait till Father's Across America gets home!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
They were started by Zen Honeycutt. She has an entry at the Encyclopedia of American Loons.

Some prime bits:
- She completely cured her son's autism symptoms in six weeks by switching him to a GMO free and organic diet.
- She pronounced that cure on Dr Oz's show.
- She pushes "molecular hydrogen" as another cure for autism.
Quote:
Molecular hydrogen is a tiny form of hydrogen that enters your cells and turns the bad free radicals (not the good ones) into water
- A tweet she sent to Barak Obama - “@BarackObama Teen pregnancies are at an all time low because our people are being sterilized by glyphosate in our food and water‼!”

I can think of one good reason to listen to her. I have a really dark sense of humor, though.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Dunkin Donut's has been testing their egg McMuffin equivalent with Beyond meet at some locations. I thought it was as good as the real-meat version and had a good mouth-feel.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

I expect to see cultured meat at some point, at least as ground meat. Steaks and such might be more difficult.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM

I hear tell grass-fed Impossible burgers are the best
Old 08-08-2019, 11:08 AM

This is making me want to try one.

I'm not a vegetarian by a long shot, but I am looking forward to the day when there are indistinguishable animal substitutes (steak will probably not be in my lifetime but who knows).
Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 AM

I'd try one, but not at the current high price. (Yes, I consider $5.00 or more for a burger expensive--I'm a McD's Dollar Menu type.) Maybe I can wait for the Improbable Burger or Unlikely Burger.
(BTW, if you are a vegetarian, the BK version is still the Unbuyable Burger.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Daughter and I just had our first Impossible Whoppers... damn. Good stuff. I hope the price comes down a bit, but they were great!
Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
Daughter and I just had our first Impossible Whoppers... damn. Good stuff. I hope the price comes down a bit, but they were great!
Hopefully the Burger King deal will allow them to scale up enough that they can lower the wholesale price to reach parity with beef. And given the reasons this company was founded, I can't imagine that isn't their plan.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Hopefully the Burger King deal will allow them to scale up enough that they can lower the wholesale price to reach parity with beef. And given the reasons this company was founded, I can't imagine that isn't their plan.
Right now they can’t replicate unminced meat, right, meaning that mass acceptance will drive down the cost of ground meat, too. Assuming that Impossible Foods can keep up with the race downward, there will a point where real and impossible kind of balance each other out. Unless they can eliminate unground meat from the competition, the meat industry will have to do something with all of those leftover bits and pieces from the best cuts. Lowering prices seems obvious.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM

I enjoy meat and my health has improved greatly with increased meat consumption. I tried the Impossible Whopper because I was curious. First BK was "out of all Whoppers due to broken broiler." Stopped on the road and found the meal for $8.09. Not bad. I may have liked it more without the BK char cooking method but not sure. Whoppers are very thin and the way they are prepared makes it difficult to really taste the "meat," IMHO. So it's not that impressive to me to get away with the "you can't tell the difference" thing. However, I removed some from a sandwich and broke off a chunk to eat on its own. Examining the inside and the texture it did resemble beef to me.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:57 PM

Had my first Impossible burger today at a local restaurant (Carson's, for anyone who knows their way around Ann Arbor). Not bad, better than any other veggie burger I've tried - though I doubt anyone could ever confuse it with real meat. The patty seemed more like a meatball, i.e. it tasted like meat mixed with bread crumbs and spices, especially salt.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Had my first Impossible burger today at a local restaurant (Carson's, for anyone who knows their way around Ann Arbor).
Actually, yeah, and I'm surprised they have it there. It's a pretty good steakhouse without having to go into town, and has a parking lot.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
The target market isn't vegetarians, it's meat eaters who would like to reduce their environmental footprint. The vegetarians are already acclimated to eating a roasted piece of sliced beet on a bun - this is for people who really enjoy the flavor and mouth feel of ground beef. We're fine if it isn't any worse for us than ground beef.
Sure, but that means it's only hitting one of two targets in meat eaters: the ones concerned about the environmental impact. But there are also plenty of meat eaters who want to eat more healthily, and would love a healthier burger that tasted like real meat.

Still, the main point, I presume, was just to let iiandyiiii know that one of the goals he stated, of eating healthier, would not be fulfilled by eating an Impossible Burger.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Too bad they have so much sodium. But I guess that's one reason why they taste so good.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM

My moral niche: Meat-eater who makes some effort to locally and humanely* source where the meat comes from but doesn't fall into existential crisis if I go out to a new restaurant.

I've had a couple of Impossible burgers. I really like having the option for grab-and-go food choices where I'm not looking for a high quality meal, it could become my go-to choice for fast food over other basic burgers. That said, it is rather bland and undistinctive and functions as a platter for the rest of the goo that gets piled on it. A great burger will carry its flavor and texture past the rest of the toppings and enhance the whole experience. This isn't great, it's merely a blank canvas, but that's better than every other veggie burger I've tried.

*Yeah yeah, too many opinions to debate, I've grown up on farms...I think livestock animals are for eating, just don't torture them in intensive high-density pens for their whole life.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Just had my first Impossible Whopper at Burger King while reading this thread.

It was all but indistinguishable from a regular Whopper. It was perhaps a tiny bit drier and not quite as juicy, but I couldn't tell it wasn't BK's regular ground beef patty even when nibbling a bit of plain not-meat.

With that said, I wasn't thrilled with the $5.99 price tag, but did feel good about not eating meat for humanitarian/environmental reasons. I understand it's about as unhealthy as a regular Whopper.

FWIW, I had actually planned to get a Whopper Junior with light mayo like I usually do, but decided to try the new Impossible Whopper when I saw it on the menu, and it apparently only comes in the full Whopper size.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:00 PM

I had an impossible Whopper yesterday too and loved it. Also tried the impossible sliders at White Castle last week and enjoyed them. They were a little thicker than I'd like them to have been, but they still tasted like White Castles.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:15 PM

I haven't had White Castle in eons. I've been wanting to try their impossible sliders
Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had an impossible Whopper yesterday too and loved it. Also tried the impossible sliders at White Castle last week and enjoyed them. They were a little thicker than I'd like them to have been, but they still tasted like White Castles.
I've had the WC Impossible sliders a few times. The newer ones are a bit closer to the classic sliders, but they taste more like actual hamburgers than White Castle sliders to me, if that makes any sense. They're still a bit too thick and the cooking method doesn't imbue them with the oniony steam the classic sliders do (or at least the ones I've had haven't). They're good, but they're not sliders, IMHO.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-15-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 PM

Impossible scrapple and you’ve got me.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 AM
Elephant Whisperer

When I was working for the newspapers in Bangkok, one of my managers was a strict Hindu from India. We were talking about vegetarian food made up to look like real meat dishes. He said he could not eat that, because just the fact that it looked like meat made him want to puke. I think many in India are like that. If so, I doubt Burger King will make many inroads into India.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Too bad they have so much sodium. But I guess that's one reason why they taste so good.
"Salt" and "Gluten" are Sumerian and Latin (respectively) for "Delicious".

I agree that the best benefits of these things will be environmental rather than personal health. As the tech develops I wonder how willing/able cattle ranchers would be to change their traditional enterprises over to farming soy. There'd still be demand for steaks tho. I can't see an artificial steak being at all convincing.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
If so, I doubt Burger King will make many inroads into India.
BK's already in India. So is McDonald's, Pizza Hut, etc. Their menus are different, and although they don't have beef, they offer both "veg" and "non-veg."
Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM

The price scared me off from buying the BK one, but I've loved the half textured soy protein (but not labeled as such) burgers you can sometimes find at gas stations.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-16-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
The price scared me off from buying the BK one, but I've loved the half textured soy protein (but not labeled as such) burgers you can sometimes find at gas stations.
Try a White Castle one. It's like two bucks, I think.