Old 08-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Is there more glyphosate than in any other vegetable products? Are the levels high enough to be of concern?

If meat is unhealthy and vegetables are full of poison, should we all just starve?

And what exactly is the problem with GMO soy?
1. The moms reported 11 times more glyphosate in the Impossible burger than in the Beyond Meat burger.
2. Don't starve! Eat organic veggies!
3. GMO soy is sprayed with Roundup herbicide.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:57 PM

I had one last night. Idunno. I think more than anything I kind of got that BK grilled flavor nostalgia. As I said, I haven't eaten red meat in five years or so, and it's been even longer since I've had a burger at Burger King and I've never had a Whopper before.

It didn't gross me out but it didn't really do much for me either after the fact - probably mostly because it was friggin' ice cold by the time I got it home.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

St Louis has been one of the test markets. I have had them a couple times, a bit pricey. Good news: Impossible Whopper tastes just like a regular Whopper; bad news: Impossible Whopper tastes just like a regular Whopper.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 PM

I made Beyond Meat burgers at home a few days ago. This was the second time I've tried making them myself. Last time I made them on the grill, and I thought the results were just OK. This time I made them on a griddle with a bit of oil, and they were much better. They were nice and juicy, and the taste was excellent.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 time champ View Post
St Louis has been one of the test markets. I have had them a couple times, a bit pricey. Good news: Impossible Whopper tastes just like a regular Whopper; bad news: Impossible Whopper tastes just like a regular Whopper.
Yeah, I was never a big fan of BK, even when I ate meat. But as someone who's trying to remain as meat-free as possible, it's nice to have an option other than Taco Bell when travelling. The Impossible Whopper won't be my first choice, but it's nice to be able to eat a "burger" while out and about once in a while. There's a local fast food burger joint that I used to love, and I've been lobbying them via email and facebook to add an Impossible Burger to their menu. Nothing yet.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 time champ View Post
Had one on a meal break of a 14 hour drive. We did drive through. I had an Impossible Whopper, number two son a regular one. I taste tested side by side with a side of fries and a Diet Coke.

Underwhelming. No it does not taste like a regular Whopper which actually tasted pretty good. Meh. A bit more meat-like than a Boca Burger but not by much. I’d rather have a veggie burger that isn’t trying to pose as meat but embraces its veggieness.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
A bit more meat-like than a Boca Burger but not by much.
Really?!? I find that surprising. I haven't had the Whopper version yet, but I've had others, and it's orders of magnitude better than a Boca Burger and pretty darned close to just a generic hamburger. Maybe yours wasn't prepared as well as the ones I've had (and the ones I've had did vary in their meatiness), but I found them to be pretty miraculous as to how closely they mimicked meat, and I am a consummate carnivore (well, yes, omnivore, but I eat way too much meat.) My brother who is a bit more discerning than me even commented that he never would have guessed it wasn't a meat Whopper. Maybe if you have them side-by-side the difference is more obvious, but there is just no way it is only a little bit more meat-like than a Boca Burger. There is nothing meat-like about a Boca at all, unless they've improved in the last five years. Impossible is on the level of Beyond, which is also magnitudes better than Boca, and definitely "meat-like," but it's got a funky smell when cooking and doesn't quite convince me.I'll get around to tasting BK's version soon enough, but I don't trust my nearest BK to make it well, so I'll go a little farther out for it.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-19-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I find the Impossible burger to have a weird, unpleasant aftertaste that reminds of something industrial, like a petroleum product. I find it very off-putting, but the level of this aftertaste seems to depend on the cooking method: overcooking and/or burning seems to make it worse.

I had had several Impossible sliders from White Castle before trying two Impossible Whoppers on the day they debuted nationally. I think the sliders are better than the Impossible Whopper, inasmuch as the the proportion of bread and the type of condiments in the former seems to go with the "meat" better. Also, why didn't Burger King have vegan mayo ready for the Impossible rollout? I think the mayo is key to Whopper's flavor.

I'm probably also in the minority here in that my recent experience with White Castle has taught me that I really, really like their regular ol' beef sliders. They are also IMO one of the best fast-food deals out there, and they fill you up without overcalorizing you.

Finally, I think I'm in the minority here in that I think the Boca Burger and Morningstar's Grillers Prime (not vegan) and Meat Lovers (vegan) are really great! They are not really good as beef imitations, but they are good in their own way whereas the Impossible strikes me as being merely a beef imitation without its own virtues. Dr. Prager's pea protein burger also is good.

I certainly think the plant-based protein trend is a good one, but my guess is that the Impossible burger will soon be overshadowed by market entrants that not only imitate what's good about beef but provide flavor that is desirable in its own right.

Last edited by Aeschines; 08-19-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Mrs. FtG had her first the other day at a "pub". It was priced around the same as other dishes so no veggie penalty. She liked it except for one thing: the pink color. To her (and me) pink is off-putting.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
There's a medium-sized chain called Houlihan's that does a good Impossible Burger.
I just had the Houlihan's Impossible Burger at lunch yesterday. It wasn't as salty as the last one I had there, which was good. I wonder if either Impossible or Houlihan's changed the recipe a skosh or if I just wasn't noticing it as much. In any case, it was a damn fine sandwich.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:14 AM

A&w in Canada has the beyond sausage patty breakfast sandwich a bit spicier than a regular sausage patty but to me that's a good thing.

The A&W beond meat burger had a good burger like texture,and flavour was not as good as regular but not noticeably unpleasant.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Try a White Castle one. It's like two bucks, I think.
But White Castle hasn't put real meat in their burgers in like 60 years!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 PM

Went to BK and tried two whoppers, one regular and one Impossible. The Impossible was somewhat less greasy, less flavorful and also had something of a nutty or canola taste to it, but otherwise, quite passable for the real thing.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Has anyone had the Aldi version version? They're brand is Earth-Grown Vegan and it's just "meatless ground plant protein" in that charmingly matter-of-fact manner of Aldi. I ask because it's half price at Aldi and I'm willing to take tthe bullet for the rest of you.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Man I'm really torn. I avoid red meat for purposes of polyp-avoidance and discipline. If it's not that much healthier than beef then there's not much discipline in eating a non-meat cheeseburger that tastes just like a meat cheeseburger.

But goddamn do I miss cheeseburgers.
But at night I'd have these wonderful dreams...
Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 PM

The South Park episode “Let then eat Goo” had a pretty good take on the whole plant-based “Meaternatives” or “Advanced Meat Substitute” (taste almost, but not quite, entirely unlike meat)

Cartman’s speech at the end of the episode;

“I thought you guys were all trying to force me to eat healthy, but I've learned that a lot of this stuff is made in a factory and processed with tons of salt just like all my favorite foods! SpaghettiOs, Rice-A-Roni Here I was thinking what you wanted was stuff from a farmers market.

I just didn't want my food to change.

School cafeteria meat is just processed crap that comes in a box, and this is just processed crap that comes in a box.
I don't have a problem with it.

All I wanted was to be able to eat the same garbage I always have, and this is definitely garbage.
And hey, if it happens to be more ethical and sustainable, well, I guess I'm fine with that, too”
Old 11-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
The South Park episode “Let then eat Goo” had a pretty good take on the whole plant-based “Meaternatives” or “Advanced Meat Substitute” (taste almost, but not quite, entirely unlike meat)

Cartman’s speech at the end of the episode;

“I thought you guys were all trying to force me to eat healthy, but I've learned that a lot of this stuff is made in a factory and processed with tons of salt just like all my favorite foods! SpaghettiOs, Rice-A-Roni Here I was thinking what you wanted was stuff from a farmers market.

I just didn't want my food to change.

School cafeteria meat is just processed crap that comes in a box, and this is just processed crap that comes in a box.
I don't have a problem with it.

All I wanted was to be able to eat the same garbage I always have, and this is definitely garbage.
And hey, if it happens to be more ethical and sustainable, well, I guess I'm fine with that, too”
If only Tegridy Farms burgers existed in real life.

"They taste like shit, but you won't care."
Old 11-03-2019, 10:58 PM

I'd rather eat Scott Tenorman's parents.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Has anyone had the Aldi version version? They're brand is Earth-Grown Vegan and it's just "meatless ground plant protein" in that charmingly matter-of-fact manner of Aldi. I ask because it's half price at Aldi and I'm willing to take tthe bullet for the rest of you.
I bought some but ended up using it in chili, so not really a good measure on how it would be as a burger.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Cool! I'd like to try one. I have no plans to become vegan but I would like to reduce my meat intake, both for health and environment reaasons.
Me, too. I hope these catch on. They're better for the climate, too.

I've already significantly cut my meat intake, especially red meat. It was helped along by the fact that the last two times we had red meat it was (a) marinated rib steaks from an upscale butcher, done on an outdoor grill, and (b) Angus prime rib roast -- both quite expensive and from very reputable sources and should have been delicious, and for whatever reason I thought neither turned out particularly well, at least for my taste. I think I'm getting more and more averse to red meat in particular. There was enough leftover tender and well-marbled prime rib for three or four meals, and it just got chucked in the garbage.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:49 PM

I had my second Impossible Burger. I think I'm qualified to give an informed opinion at this point. After my first IB, I was spectacularly unimpressed. It was by no means bad but for one, it did *not* taste like a Whopper and two, it sorta tasted like a burger flavored mush patty. I thought i may have just had a poorly prepared or not superbly prepared burger.

Fast forward to my second Impossible Burger. Annnnnnd....yeah, this thing is cute! All burgered up like a hamburger! It looked just like a delicious burger! Smelled like one. The sauce on it tasted like sauce you'd find on a burger.
But the burger. The burger, man. It was just this burger shaped hunk of edible mass that took on the flavor of whatever it was cooked with. Bland. Easy to eat, had a distinct burger flavor but not a beef flavor (if that makes any sense). I could easily eat them regularly no problem. They're easy on my stomach and taste good. But if i crave a whopper, im buying a Whopper.
Not a potato burger.

Btw, i like how they carefully call it a "plant-based" burger, hoping for people to think of "vegetables" when they hear "plants". Tubers and legumes are the plants in the IB. Soybeans and potatoes. Plants and i guess *technically* veggies but cmon. People arent thinking "potatoes" when they think of edible plants lol.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 11-04-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
I bought some but ended up using it in chili, so not really a good measure on how it would be as a burger.
I tried frying it as a burger...

No. Just no. Took one bite and tossed it in the trash. It smelled and tasted like dog food. If I had put it into chili or something that had a strong flavor, I can see it. But on it's own it was miserable.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:48 PM

Count me out of this experiment.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Btw, i like how they carefully call it a "plant-based" burger, hoping for people to think of "vegetables" when they hear "plants". Tubers and legumes are the plants in the IB. Soybeans and potatoes. Plants and i guess *technically* veggies but cmon. People arent thinking "potatoes" when they think of edible plants lol.
I've actually never thought of it that way. To me, potatoes and soy are, of course, plant-based. What the hell else are they going to make the burger from? I guess wheat is another possibility. But that's what I think of when I think of "plant-based" meat substitutes. Am I supposed to think of carrots and broccoli or something? I'm not sure they're banking on people thinking of green vegetables, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I finally had an Impossible Whopper and, honestly, without something to compare it to, I wouldn't have known it's a meatless burger. Then again, the last Whopper I've had was probably about five or six years ago, as I'm not a fan of BK's burgers. If I ate the things regularly, I may have noticed more of an obvious difference. But, to me, it's uncanny how close it is to a real burger.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-05-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Hmm... I actually am literally at the BK right now to try another one, and this one is definitely less meat like than the first. This one is like a dried out Whopper. These Impossible Burgers are quite finicky, I’ve decided. Sometimes great, sometimes in uncanny valley, sometimes a pale imitation.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I've actually never thought of it that way. To me, potatoes and soy are, of course, plant-based. What the hell else are they going to make the burger from? I guess wheat is another possibility. But that's what I think of when I think of "plant-based" meat substitutes. Am I supposed to think of carrots and broccoli or something? I'm not sure they're banking on people thinking of green vegetables, but I suppose I could be wrong.
Hey, I definitely could be wrong too. It just stands out to me, given the actual ingredients. They don't refer to Pringles as "plant-based" snack chips. I just think there is a reason it's being pushed as "plant-based" rather than "meatless". And that reason is to make it seem healthier than it really is.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:00 PM

Inspired by this thread, I've been ordering my favorite burger with a veggie patty. And since "my" burger* is drowning in a brown mustard/garlic sauce and grilled onions with tomato and lettuce, I can barely tell the difference! Helps that the veggie burger is a black bean/soy/tasty one.

*If you want one, order the Brewmaster at the Laurel Tavern, Madison, WI
Old 11-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Inspired by this thread, I've been ordering my favorite burger with a veggie patty. And since "my" burger* is drowning in a brown mustard/garlic sauce and grilled onions with tomato and lettuce, I can barely tell the difference! Helps that the veggie burger is a black bean/soy/tasty one.

*If you want one, order the Brewmaster at the Laurel Tavern, Madison, WI
I think I've had that one (traditional, not veggie, though). Laurel does some good burgers.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Soylent Green was set in 2022, which is pretty close to now.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellMyWort View Post
Laurel does some good burgers.
Better than Yanni?
Old 11-09-2019, 03:42 PM

I've had the Impossible Whopper three times. Tastes all right, but anything slathered with that much mayonnaise and ketchup should be at least passable. Don't think I'll be getting it again; just don't see the point in paying more for a sandwich that isn't any healthier.

Mainly, I don't understand what niche this fills. Because they're cooked in the same vats as regular beef patties, they're off-limits to vegans (plus the fact that mayonnaise contains eggs), and they have pretty much the same amount of fat and even more sodium. I suppose they're possibly more environmentally friendly, but the fact remains that buying one supports a company that does sell a tremendous amount of meat every day. Bottom line, you don't renew your driver's license at a library, you don't shop for a wedding dress at a hardware store, and you don't look for healthy or environmentally friendly eating at a fast food joint. If you want plants, eat PLANTS...fresh, whole, unprocessed.

I remember Costco had a few veggie burger options, including Morningstar Farms. Haven't seen them in a long time. They were okay on their own, but I'd never consider any of them a meat substitute in a million years. Don't think I'd like an Impossible Burger without the trimmings.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:10 PM

It's amusing that these "Advanced Meat Substitutes" are being marketed as "healthier" than beef, when the IB patty has more saturated fat (coconut oil) and sodium than the standard "Space Meat" Whopper, it's basically "Green Slime" vs. "Pink Slime"

they're both basically junk food, one is made from plants, one is made from animals...

Heck, you could probably get McDonalds to make an "Impossible McRib" sandwich that'd be less repellent than the "pork" based one they sell for a limited time, and that's coming from an omnivore who leans more to the carnivore side, the McRib is just utterly repellent.

if you have the IW made with no mayo, but add mustard, wonder how it'd taste

when I do get a fast food burger, I generally prefer the Wendy's single, lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, ketchup, no mayo, no cheese, no buttered bun, just toasted, it's the closest approximation to their old style version, eliminating the mayo, cheese and butter reduces a good amount of fat and empty calories, it's no health food, but it's less evil than normal
Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
It's amusing that these "Advanced Meat Substitutes" are being marketed as "healthier" than beef ...
HUh. I've not heard anything other than straight up recognition that they have no health advantage over what they purport to replace. The sales pitch is more greenwashing than that. Less land use, fewer emissions, less water use ... so on.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Mainly, I don't understand what niche this fills.
It's for my friends who don't eat beef because of the environmental cost. Which is most of our tavern's Monday Night Football crowd. They love beef, they miss beef, but they care about deforestation and how much food and water it takes to create a pound of beef.

My scruples, on the other hand, are helpless in the face of a good burger.

And, no, none of The Guys, or anyone else I've heard, have said they're healthier.
Quote:
It's amusing that these "Advanced Meat Substitutes" are being marketed as "healthier" than beef.
No, Burger King went out their way to say they're not (even the guy behind the counter warned me of that). Just that they're plant-based.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
HUh. I've not heard anything other than straight up recognition that they have no health advantage over what they purport to replace. The sales pitch is more greenwashing than that. Less land use, fewer emissions, less water use ... so on.
It's slick but it's in there. No, there is no *direct* mention of any health advantages of the Impossible Whopper over it's beef counterpart. But the use of the term "plant-based" over and over is something new in the world of marketing meatless burgers, and it's obviously intentional. Its to make people associate eating an Impossible Whopper with eating plants, (veggies, etc) a much healthier image and concept, rather than eating a junk food burger no healthier than the original whopper.

Last edited by Ambivalid; 11-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.