Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Yes, the campaign goes on for a long time, and the leader of the party is expected to campaign for congresscritters because they can't advance their legislative agenda without support in congress. And 132 campaign fundraisers is a lot, but again, was he unable to perform his presidential duties as a result?
Messrs Boehner and McConnell did their part to ensure that, even if he hadnít attended any fundraisers at all...
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan
Why not limit the amount of money they can spend TOTAL ... limit the amount of time to 6 months prior to the primary in SEPTEMBER for the NOVEMBER election ̶ ̶A̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶i̶r̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶e̶r̶t̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶7̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶a̶x̶ ̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶u̶s̶i̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶d̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶r̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶m̶e̶d̶i̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶l̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶r̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶N̶O̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶r̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶v̶e̶r̶n̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶p̶a̶c̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶j̶o̶b̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶i̶d̶e̶n̶c̶y̶.̶
I like the general idea. I don't like the other things, primarily because of the precedent it would set, that any time a president comes along that does something you don't like, or do like for that matter, that it becomes a requirement. For example, I understand the desire of people to see Trump's tax returns. And I get the idea that if tax returns are required to be shown, and you don't want to do it, then don't run. But I don't see this as a necessity, because some things should be left private, and presumably, if some shenaningans are going on that might be revealed in tax returns, that the other ways these things are investigated should continue to be used.
A) ARE there other ways?

B) I’d REALLY like to see how you coded the parts of aruvqan’s post that have strikeover applied...

C) Are you familiar with the reasons that tax return disclosure became an expected thing?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-05-2019 at 10:40 PM.