1984: Great Movie!

1991: Great Movie!

2003: This Movie Certainly Exists

2009: Aborted Start of a New Trilogy

2015: Aborted Start of a New Trilogy

2019 (Aborted?) Start of a New Trilogy

Only time will tell....
Old 08-31-2019, 11:42 AM

An excellent, succinct and extraordinarily accurate summation, Quimby. I see nothing to quibble over.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:49 AM

Well, that's certainly one history. Or is it? We don't know how badly those cyborgs have messed up the space-time contiuobhdgsviyghnguriuo
Old 08-31-2019, 12:26 PM

those are certainly some detailed files
Old 08-31-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I think this movie is supposed to be the end of the old trilogy, or at least the third part. It's gonna ignore everything but the first two movies.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

The TV series established that there are multiple time lines because of all the time travel... but then, I expect even more people ignore the TV series than ignore some of the movies.

In which case, going back to timeline #1 and resuming the story from there can work in my head.

I must be easily amused - I enjoyed all the movies (and the TV series) although yes, the first two movies were better than the others.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:13 PM

I can't understand why they haven't merged the Terminator franchise in with the already-merged Predator and Alien franchises. They've got Arnold in both. Shouldn't be that hard!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
I can't understand why they haven't merged the Terminator franchise in with the already-merged Predator and Alien franchises. They've got Arnold in both. Shouldn't be that hard!
They kinda already merged Terminator and RoboCop. Well, it was a four-issue comic and one video game, but it's as much a merger as AvP, the A seldom even acknowledging the P.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
I think this movie is supposed to be the end of the old trilogy, or at least the third part. It's gonna ignore everything but the first two movies.
For a movie that is supposed to ignore T3-5, they sure aren't ignoring:

Skynet sending the most advanced Terminator after someone other than John Connor (T3)
A liquid metal over endoskeleton Terminator (T3)
An aged T-800 model 100 helping out (Genisys)
A human-Terminator hybrid that thinks it is human (Salvation)
The hero character shooting the Terminator's face off (deleted Salvation scene)
Terminators own the seas too (T4, The Sarah Connor Chronicles)
The jets colliding was supposed to be in T3 as well but was deemed too expensive.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Cameron's talked about watching all Terminator media for ideas. Nevertheless, the movie only acknowledges the first two flicks.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:07 AM

Now that it's out I thought I'd give this a bump. Anyone see the new one?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Now that it's out I thought I'd give this a bump. Anyone see the new one?
I'm going in about 6 hours.

I'm cautiously optimistic that it is going to be good.

Of course, given my username I tend to cheer for the machines. <beep>

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 11-01-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:58 PM

I've always thought that T3 was a bit underappreciated.

Its major crime (and it IS a major crime) is rendering the ending of the vastly-superior T2 pointless. T2 is a classic, and T3 doesn't have the stature to presume to mess with a classic.

But, that aside, it's an above average action blockbuster, highlighted particularly by the performance of Claire Danes as a young woman who gets sucked into this action maelstrom, unbelieving and unwilling. It also has some genuinely exciting stunts and setpieces. And the bleak ending would be pretty cool... if not, again, for the metaphorical middle finger it extends to its predecessor.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I like Terminator 3. In fact, it's really good.

Brace yourselves, though. I actually saw Terminator Genysis just the once and really liked it as well. Having said that, my memory of it is not that great.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:32 PM

I greatly enjoyed it. The action sequences were great, and the story elements were very good. I liked how they tied everything together overall both internally within the movie and to the greater trilogy. To be clear, this movie didn't need to exist. T1 and T2 were just fine as they were, and in fact it would be probably have been strictly better if no further Terminator movies had ever been made. However, if a sequel had to be made this was overall a pretty good choice. My only real complaint is the new lead. Dani just didn't work for me. I'm not quite sure why, but her character never quite clicked with me the way Sarah Connor did. And it isn't the sameness, it is something else. I don't know.

Anyway, overall I'll give it an 8 out of 10.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepKillBeep View Post
To be clear, this movie didn't need to exist. T1 and T2 were just fine as they were, and in fact it would be probably have been strictly better if no further Terminator movies had ever been made.
I felt the same way, and throughout the movie I couldn't ignore the nagging feeling I was watching some sort of remake of the original. Later I read the BBC review, which sums it up well:
Quote:
At this stage, it looks as if making further Terminator sequels is as much of a doomed endeavour as making further Alien sequels. In both cases, there were two sublime opening episodes (the second Alien episode was directed by Cameron), followed by a succession of sequels, prequels and spin-offs which couldn’t recapture that early magic. And in both cases, there was a devilishly simple science-fiction / horror movie premise. Keep that simplicity in the later sequels and what you get is essentially an inferior remake. Complicate the mythology and you lose the first films’ white-knuckle intensity. The makers of Terminator Dark Fate went for the former option – the inferior remake – and the results aren’t bad. But if that’s the best they can come up with, then why bother? This franchise needs to be terminated.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 PM

I saw it tonight. I thought it was really good. The story wasn't bad and the action was incredible. I put it solidly at 3rd best.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:06 PM

I'm definitely not complaining about any explosions, you understand.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post

Its major crime (and it IS a major crime) is rendering the ending of the vastly-superior T2 pointless. T2 is a classic, and T3 doesn't have the stature to presume to mess with a classic.

But, that aside, it's an above average action blockbuster, highlighted particularly by the performance of Claire Danes as a young woman who gets sucked into this action maelstrom, unbelieving and unwilling. It also has some genuinely exciting stunts and setpieces. And the bleak ending would be pretty cool... if not, again, for the metaphorical middle finger it extends to its predecessor.
I would agree that T3 is a bit underrated. But I would argue that it's ending is inevitable, otherwise the first two films wouldn't exist.

Really the problem with all the films is that the time travel element creates a couple of problems:
1) If it's true that "there is no fate but what we make" and the timeline is flexible, then that sort of diminishes the importance of everything. They can always send someone/something back in time to alter the story whenever they want. Heck, why even send a terminator back in time? Why not just send a 10 megaton nuke stuffed into a cow carcass and blow up Los Angeles?

2) The timeline can't be altered. This is hinted at in T1 with the "bootstrap paradox" where Kyle Reece turns out to be John Conner's dad. But it also renders the Terminators mission moot. Skynet is destined to come online, John Conner is destined to be born, Sarah can basically just sit in her living room because no matter what the Terminator does, it won't alter the future.

Anyhow, I don't think I hated any of the Terminator films or the Sarah Conner Show. It just think most of it after T2 never had to be made. Most of it never added more to the story besides "cyborg chasing the Conner family through time".
Old 11-01-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you would do that. Predator and Alien exist in a future universe where mankind has advanced to the point where they can explore the stars and AI serves humans. Terminator exists in a future universe where humans have nearly been wiped out by AI.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:20 AM

In my view, the most logical sequel would be the future war. If Judgement day is inevitable, then no matter what humans will always make an AI that rises to challenge humanity. This has been the one consistent message across all the movies, so why not use that. So to me, the best way to end the series is to show a movie about winning after Judgement Day. The plot should revolve around ending time travel once and for all. You could even have multiple timelines converging (or cooperating across the dimensions). I.e. a John Connor timeline and a Dani timeline working towards ending time travel. I mean I'm just spit balling here, but that would be a way to end the franchise. Humanity wins*, no more time travel** so we will have won forever.

* - Wins being pretty relative here since we're talking about victory after the deaths of billions of people.
** - There would need to be some technobabble about how all the past timelines have been clipped. I.e. all Terminators ever sent to the past are definitively dead. That this is our chance to end it once and for all.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
I'm not sure how you would do that. Predator and Alien exist in a future universe where mankind has advanced to the point where they can explore the stars and AI serves humans. Terminator exists in a future universe where humans have nearly been wiped out by AI.
An even larger problem is that the Predator and Alien franchises contain no time travel. Whereas, as many have noted in the thread, the Terminator use of time travel as a plot device creates many problems on its own---let alone for any proposed crossover.

My suggestion was basically a facetious comment on the Hollywood propensity to try to milk franchises to death with unlikely combo-projects. A screenplay using all three franchises could be constructed, of course, but no one would expect it to be any good.

It would be easier to do a crossover of Terminator with some other time-travel franchise. So far* we don't know a lot about how the human resistance came up with the capacity, after all. Could it have been Doc Brown who showed up one day, some time after Skynet took over, and set the entire Terminator plot into motion????

*I haven't seen this newest movie.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
So far* we don't know a lot about how the human resistance came up with the capacity, after all. Could it have been Doc Brown who showed up one day, some time after Skynet took over, and set the entire Terminator plot into motion????
We know all about it: they captured the Skynet lab, used the time-displacement equipment to send back Reese (plus Sumner in at least one of Cameron's drafts, but he/she "didn't make it"), and zeroed the whole place so that nobody else come through.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
My main complaint was that some of the special effects looked kind of fake, compared to the amazing special effects from T2. I particularly remember a scene of the lady terminator getting blasted through a tombstone (around 2:20 of this clip) as looking like obvious CGI in the theatre.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I saw the movie yesterday and really liked it. The callbacks to the previous films were amusing. (Like when Sarah Connors said, "I'll be back.") The first film ended in a mostly automated factory and then the second film ended in a steel mill. It almost seemed deliberate, as the steel mill seemed to represent the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, while the automated factory represented the Robotics Revolution. So I was amused that the action in this film started in an auto plant in which humans were being replaced by robots. And then it ended in a hydroelectric dam. No idea how that figures into my theory, though.

I thought that they'd somehow use the vast amount of electricity in the hydro plant to overwhelm and short out the Rev-9. I also expected the Rev-9 to disguise himself as one of the other characters at the end, as the T-1000 did in the second movie.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
We know all about it: they captured the Skynet lab, used the time-displacement equipment to send back Reese (plus Sumner in at least one of Cameron's drafts, but he/she "didn't make it"), and zeroed the whole place so that nobody else come through.
I meant 'how was time travel made possible?'--I didn't recall that Skynet invented it, for some reason, mistakenly thinking that it had been a human invention.

But my point is, how did Skynet achieve time travel? Hence the idea of Doc Brown bringing the technology.

(The 'humans destroyed the installation so that no one would get through after Reese' idea was certainly vital to the plot of the first movie---otherwise there would have been 50,000+ Terminators after the protagonists, which would have been rather boring. But that plot development was pretty contrived: why would Skynet have been unable to rebuild? It's not as though the plans would have been lost, given that Skynet was essentially one big brain.

(No doubt the installation was built with the one and only supply of unobtainium that could ever exist, or something along those lines. Which would have made the 2015 Genisys movie plot unworkable, of course.)
Old 11-03-2019, 07:30 PM

(At some point we are thinking about it more than the writers did--- time travel inherently does not make sense.)

The relevant point in the first movie is that at that point in the future the humans had beaten Skynet. The war was all but over. The time-travel stuff was a last-ditch effort, there may not have been 50,000 Terminators left at all nor the resources to construct a second lab, and either way it barely had enough time to send one before the humans raided the place.

But, sure, if Skynet was clever enough to come up with the whole scheme and construct a time machine from scratch like Doc Brown, who knows, maybe it had the foresight to construct a second (and third...) installation while it still had the time and equipment (as Cameron implies in the first few seconds of Terminator 2.). Also, it's only "one possible future" according to Reese, so maybe there are 50000 others, which could certainly account for all the extra Terminators running around in all the sequels, including the latest one, unobtanium or no.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM

I think Kyle Reece explained the time travel technology best: "I DIDN'T BUILD THE FUCKING THING!!"
Old 11-03-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
why would Skynet have been unable to rebuild? It's not as though the plans would have been lost, given that Skynet was essentially one big brain.
I just watched the first one yesterday. In the words of Reese "Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won"

The original still holds up as a great movie. The only thing I didn't like, watching it yesterday, was at the end. Perhaps my opinion has been jaded by watching the morons on The Walking Dead, but after Sarah and Kyle blow up the semi, the Terminator is dragging a leg and walking slow.

Now, they could just walk a little faster down the street until police and other government people arrive. Instead, they try to hide in a factory.

Tip - if somebody chasing you walks slowly, just walk a little faster into a heavily populated area.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

The Hollywood Reporter says that the movie made only $29 million domestically, at 4000+ screens. That's considered a bomb and means that any future sequels are on hold.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

A pity. I really enjoyed it.

But... the action leads are female, the big female star is over 60, and Arnold is in his 70's and no longer looks sexy. Middle age to elderly actors don't bring in the crowds.

And given Arnold's age I didn't expect him to be in any sequels to this, and the Terminator movies without him tend to attract even fewer viewers.

Last edited by Broomstick; 11-03-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 PM

How much did they have to pay William H. Macy to play Linda Hamilton in the most recent one?
Old 11-04-2019, 12:00 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Here is a list of the terminator movies from best to worst

T2, T1, T5, T6, T3, T4.

You're welcome.

Also the deep fake video from 1998 in the new terminator movie was really good.

Why do these people never learn that small arms are useless against terminators? Why not just throw nerf balls at them.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 11-04-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 AM

Can we either keep this thread spoiler free for the current movie, or retitle it to be the "seen it, spoilers" thread?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

T2, T1, T5, T6, T3, T4.

You're welcome.
I'd put T1 ahead of T2. A bigger budget and better special effects do not fully compensate for the presence of annoying tweens.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
I'd put T1 ahead of T2. A bigger budget and better special effects do not fully compensate for the presence of annoying tweens.
T2 isn't really a movie so much as it's a 2 1/2 hour chase.

While it is a very good chase, it isn't better than T1.

The other films just keep rearranging the bones of a dead franchise into somewhat pleasing shapes, but there's still no meat.

I hope the new one is good.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Can we either keep this thread spoiler free for the current movie, or retitle it to be the "seen it, spoilers" thread?
FWIW I would rather it not be renamed but I agree spoilers here should be hidden. Another "Seen it" thread is a good idea for spoiler discussions of the new movie but spoiler free reviews (and discussions of the franchise in general) are what I was looking for here when I bumped it. .
Old 11-04-2019, 12:35 PM

Saw it at the weekend. Agree with the general concencus that it's pretty good. Mackenzie Davis is the best thing in it. In fact I enjoyed the first half more before the inevitable arrival of Linda Hamilton and Arnie. I think cutting them out would have made for a better movie. Even so, some great action scenes and if you don't see it in the cinema, definitely worth a rental/buying later. Best Terminator film since 2.

Last edited by DeptfordX; 11-04-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

I saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm surprised at some of the more negative reviews. I mean, it was no masterpiece of cinema, but it was a fun ride.

Unlike DeptfordX, I liked seeing Arnie and Linda and liked both how
SPOILER:
Sarah was wrong about Dani's importance and the way that turned the story around a bit
and how Arnold's
SPOILER:
terminator sought purpose after it ran out of mission.
. I've had a lot of fun thinking about
SPOILER:
the idea that a single minded killing machine out of T1, given time, could turn into the gracious host we meet later.
. And I got a giant laugh out of the moment we got the rug yanked out from under us when we realize that
SPOILER:
Arnold's not discussing ambush tactics, but the appropriate choice of fabrics for the window treatments for a little girl's bedroom.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

T2, T1, T5, T6, T3, T4.
I agree with this ranking, although I think T5 and T6 are very close, and there's a big gap between 3 and 4. T4 is really the only very bad one of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972
Now, they could just walk a little faster down the street until police and other government people arrive. Instead, they try to hide in a factory.

Tip - if somebody chasing you walks slowly, just walk a little faster into a heavily populated area.
I find it hard to square this idea with the text of any of the Terminator movies. Going to a heavily populated area just means more people dying, and cops don't stop Terminators, but they do arrest our heroes and keep them in cages for the Terminator to come kill. Literally every Terminator movie requires the heroes to escape from the cages that authority figures have put them in while trying to establish order.

Also wasn't Sarah helping Reese to walk at that point after he'd been shot? They're not going to outrun even a slowly-walking Terminator unless Sarah leaves Reese behind, which she's not willing to do.

I liked the new one a lot.

SPOILER:
Mackenzie Davis is the best thing in just about everything she's in. The action sequences were great, and the plot moved along well with reasonable purpose and without any characters having to do anything really stupid. Her need for drugs and a refractory period worked well and was much better than having two robots fighting the whole time.

The reveal was well-foreshadowed, but it still worked well.

The Terminator was legitimately cooler and more dangerous than the one in T2, which I think T3 sort of failed at. Liquid metal plus a hard skeleton, capable of acting independently was awesome.

Feels like having open turbines spinning on that floor has to be an OSHA violation.

None of the time loop inconsistency inherent in the franchise bothers me. I see each movie as being a scene out of a separate iteration of the loop. Each movie, in my opinion, merely has to be internally consistent, not 100% consistent with other movies.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 11-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I find it hard to square this idea with the text of any of the Terminator movies. Going to a heavily populated area just means more people dying, and cops don't stop Terminators, but they do arrest our heroes and keep them in cages for the Terminator to come kill. Literally every Terminator movie requires the heroes to escape from the cages that authority figures have put them in while trying to establish order.
Like I said, at the end of T1, the Terminator has been injured, and can only walk slowly towards Sarah and Reese. It has no weapons left. Instead of just walking quickly away, they decide to hide instead. That part doesn't make any sense.

At least if they stay on the street walking away just ahead of the Terminator, eventually cops will show up, and see an futuristic robot walking around, verifying Reese's story.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Like I said, at the end of T1, the Terminator has been injured, and can only walk slowly towards Sarah and Reese. It has no weapons left. Instead of just walking quickly away, they decide to hide instead. That part doesn't make any sense.

At least if they stay on the street walking away just ahead of the Terminator, eventually cops will show up, and see an futuristic robot walking around, verifying Reese's story.
But what if the Terminator starts killing passers-by?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:36 PM

I just watched that scene again, and I disagree with your interpretation.

The Terminator and burning wreckage are on one side of them, and there's a brief reverse-shot where it shows Reese's reaction to the Terminator rising up out of the flames that shows loading docks behind him. Their surroundings, and the streets shown on the chase coming in look like a vaguely industrial office-park kind of area. The camera never shows us that the road they're on actually continues and those kinds of areas often have lots of dead-end roads that lead to industrial facilities. They run directly away from the Terminator when they see it get up, and directly away is toward a building. So I don't think there's anywhere else for them to go.

And they don't hide. They keep moving. They're clearly trying to go through the building and out the other side, not hunker down. But they get stuck.

Reese is definitely seriously wounded and only makes it ~100 feet before falling down. It's not clear that they're moving much faster than the Terminator is. Even if the road did continue, how long until they make it to a public place? How long until the police get there? How long until the police come up with an effective method of interacting with the Terminator (I mean, six movies in, they haven't figured it out yet)?

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 11-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post

If I had a murderous, scary-as-shit-looking skeleton lurching at me, I'm sure I'd be composed and collected and able to debate the relative merits of survival options...
"Lawsy, mama, dey's a robo-skellyton a'shufflin' after me! Gits out da way, ah gots to find me a hidey hole in dat fack-to-reee!"
Old 11-04-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
But what if the Terminator starts killing passers-by?
How? By slowly limping up to them and killing them for no reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I just watched that scene again, and I disagree with your interpretation.

The Terminator and burning wreckage are on one side of them, and there's a brief reverse-shot where it shows Reese's reaction to the Terminator rising up out of the flames that shows loading docks behind him. Their surroundings, and the streets shown on the chase coming in look like a vaguely industrial office-park kind of area. The camera never shows us that the road they're on actually continues and those kinds of areas often have lots of dead-end roads that lead to industrial facilities. They run directly away from the Terminator when they see it get up, and directly away is toward a building. So I don't think there's anywhere else for them to go.

And they don't hide. They keep moving. They're clearly trying to go through the building and out the other side, not hunker down. But they get stuck
They get stuck because they act stupidly. At this point they could just be on one side of a large lathe or whatever is there, and the Terminator can be on the other side and it couldn't get them. Instead, they slowly go up stairs, and then Sarah just continues to stay on the stairs needlessly staring until the Terminator is right upon her.

Quote:
Reese is definitely seriously wounded and only makes it ~100 feet before falling down. It's not clear that they're moving much faster than the Terminator is. Even if the road did continue, how long until they make it to a public place? How long until the police get there? How long until the police come up with an effective method of interacting with the Terminator (I mean, six movies in, they haven't figured it out yet)?
Who knows how long it will take? Throw Reese back into the dumpster and then just jog away.

And i LIKE the movie, one of my favorites. I think I mentioned, maybe I'm jaded now by watching years of The Walking Dead where they can't even outrun slow, shuffling zombies on friggin' horseback.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Since it seems like discussion in this thread inherently depends on spoilers, I've added a spoiler warning to the title.

[Not moderating]
I think I may be the only person who thinks that T2 was bad, and that T3 was the movie that 2 should have been.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I think I may be the only person who thinks that T2 was bad, and that T3 was the movie that 2 should have been.
Why do you think it was bad?

I will admit that I disliked T3 a lot on initial viewing but rewatching it a few years ago thought it was pretty good.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Basically, I thought it leaned too heavily on the golly-gee-whiz special effects, which aged poorly: By the time the movie actually hit theaters, they were using the same effect on Star Trek every week.

When a movie is based on "Come check out these awesome special effects that you can't see anywhere else", those special effects had better not be anywhere else.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I half agree with you.

T2's faults for me were, as I noted above, it's just a long chase. And even more, it doesn't know when to stop. The T000, and the movie, should have ended with the liquid nitrogen bath. but NO! we need another ending! Let's make it hot instead! Yeah, that's the ticket.

The T1000 not only is centuries beyond regular mechanical T800. but one should theoretically be unbeatable. For example, the small piece left behind in the car should immediately go under its own control and flow into John's head. Mission accomplished.

T2 missed an obvious bit by not having a central control computer inside the T1000. If every nano-bit of the machine is capable of independent action, then the thing is unstoppable. One drop can get inside you and destroy you from within.

T3 on the other hand I agree, was really the next step after T1. But the trouble with it as a movie, is its inherent fatalism. It gives all that action, all that destruction, for 3/4 of the movie, and at the end, it means nothing. Guns, bombs, more guns, random deaths that we should care about, but it is all in service of the inevitable Judgement Day. Who cares who lives or dies in the first 3/4 of the movie, because everyone dies at the end. This is your last day alive, and you spend it cleaning up after a crane went through your office. That's depressing. T3 is bomb porn, nothing more.

And really, anybody that creates an all controlling militarized AI should be forced to watch Colossus: The Forbin Project. Never make anything you can't turn off! Sheesh.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
For example, the small piece left behind in the car should immediately go under its own control and flow into John's head. Mission accomplished.
It's pretty strongly implied that individual bits of the T1000 do not possess independent intelligence. If they did, it should have just taken the form of 10,000 individual wasps and the good guys would have never had a chance.

Presumably its intelligence comes from some neural net that requires sufficient processing power, and it has a certain amount per bit of nanotech, or whatever.