Old 09-27-2019, 06:08 AM

The Good Place season 4

Link to previous thread

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=805272

Episode 1: A Girl from Arizona part 1

Not bad. The scenes with Simone were the stand-out best parts of the episode, but the increasing Jason-Derek rivalry and douchebag Brent both seem to have a lot of potential. It's a pity we didn't get someone specifically for Jason though, (although I expect Derek will fulfill that role), and maybe Brent is not here for Eleanor, but to test the limits of Janet.

laa laa laa I'm in a coma laaa laaa laa

Last edited by Calavera; 09-27-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:41 AM

1-877-cars-for-kids!
Old 09-27-2019, 09:59 AM

I’m really curious to see where this goes. Eleanor began her journey of improvement by realizing she didn’t belong in the good place, and the new crop seem to totally lack any incentive to change. Maintaining balance while adding three new major characters -four if you count Derek-is going to be difficult. I’d really love to see the new group slowly evolve into team cockroach 2.0, but that means putting the main cast in the background. Whatever they have in store, I’m looking forward to it.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

They didn't show any of the intake interviews with the humans, where Eleanor would go over all the wonderful things they did(n't) do before they died. Of course, in the original group, neither Chidi nor Tahani needed a different backstory. But it would be amusing to see what she came up with for Brent.

I'm looking forward to this final season.

StG
Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 AM

I like knowing this is the last season. They either make something of it or don't, but whatever it will be will happen now, no cliff hanger to end it, nobody having a baby, and a show like this doesn't need to be wrapped up in any logical or fulfilling manner.

So as long as Jason is stupid, as long as Janet has stealthy snark and is occasionally evil, as long as the rest keep doing what they've been doing, then I'll enjoy the rest of this show.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I like knowing this is the last season. They either make something of it or don't, but whatever it will be will happen now, no cliff hanger to end it, nobody having a baby, and a show like this doesn't need to be wrapped up in any logical or fulfilling manner.
Stonehenge was a sex thing!
Old 09-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Some good laughs in the season premiere, but as a whole, it felt kind of... scattershot. Previously, the writers have done an excellent job of making this high-concept and increasingly complex premise coherent and comprehensible. This episode seemed to lack some of that focus.

One question: Why doesn't Simone recognize anybody from when she was alive? I'm sure they explained it last season, but I don't remember.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
One question: Why doesn't Simone recognize anybody from when she was alive? I'm sure they explained it last season, but I don't remember.
Judge Gen insisted her memories be selectively deleted to make it fair.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 PM

It’s been pointed out elsewhere on the internet- I’m not going to take credit for the theory- that Michael went into the train- but was it Michael who came out? The recap helpfully reminded us that the bad place has a Michael suit, and the whole fake human gambit was a bit clumsy... maybe deliberately so...
Old 09-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ecks View Post
Itís been pointed out elsewhere on the internet- Iím not going to take credit for the theory- that Michael went into the train- but was it Michael who came out? The recap helpfully reminded us that the bad place has a Michael suit, and the whole fake human gambit was a bit clumsy... maybe deliberately so...
Something definitely happened there. Why show us such an inconsequential scene if it wasn't secretly consequential?
Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Itís been pointed out elsewhere on the internet- Iím not going to take credit for the theory- that Michael went into the train- but was it Michael who came out? The recap helpfully reminded us that the bad place has a Michael suit, and the whole fake human gambit was a bit clumsy... maybe deliberately so...
Michael went on the train with Janet, so a switch would have had to fool Janet as well. Not sure the Bad Place is up to that.

On the podcast it was pointed out that the only thing that boring Linda asked was if there was a fitness center - a hint that Linda was really demon Chris, who was always ripping off his shirt and heading to the gym in the first reboot (kind of like how he can only think of asking for a peppermint while acting as Linda).
Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

The show has stopped being funny.

That's not a criticism. The look on Eleanor's face when she left Chidi in his study was heartbreaking (and great acting). It reminds me of the evolution of Terry Pratchett, who moved to deal with more serious issues beyond the jokes.

There were still amusing bits and very funny lines, but the show has evolved and gained even more depth.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 09-28-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Is it just me, or was there something odd about the appearance of the show. Can't really describe it well, but it looked more like the lighting/colors/whatever of a sit-com from the 80s/90s than from modern cameras.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Is it just me, or was there something odd about the appearance of the show. Can't really describe it well, but it looked more like the lighting/colors/whatever of a sit-com from the 80s/90s than from modern cameras.
I think that's intentional.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Michael went on the train with Janet, so a switch would have had to fool Janet as well. Not sure the Bad Place is up to that.
They have access to plenty of Janets.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Bad Janet was terrible at impersonating Good Janet. However, it's possible that the Bad Place have learned, and killed a Bad Janet over and over again in order to get it to evolve into something better.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Would need to be a sufficiently evolved Janet to be able to run the test neighborhood. Don't think that one fresh from the warehouse would work. Plus it would need to be a Bad Janet to keep the secret, and those have a tendency to literally melt down if they try to be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Bad Janet was terrible at impersonating Good Janet. However, it's possible that the Bad Place have learned, and killed a Bad Janet over and over again in order to get it to evolve into something better.
I bet a Bad Janet does a lot more than just beg for her life when faced with a reboot...

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 09-30-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Judge Gen insisted her memories be selectively deleted to make it fair.
Well she remembers Chidi, but only as another lecturer at the university so it seems that all of Simone's memories after Eleanor arrived were wiped. Which means it's possible she lived for several decades afterwards thanks to Jeremy Bearimy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Something definitely happened there. Why show us such an inconsequential scene if it wasn't secretly consequential?
It could just be a red herring.

Quote:
Would need to be a sufficiently evolved Janet to be able to run the test neighborhood...
Speaking of Janet running the neighborhood, is it just me or is she getting overwhelmed? Janets are designed to run neighborhoods filled with hundreds of humans and simultaneously fulfill their requests so given that there are only 7 humans one would think this neighborhood would be easier to run. Of course managing the fake humans (who hopefully we'll see interact with the real humans instead of just running around in the background), some of whom were created by Derek might be draining her. Or it could just be that now that she's evolved self-awareness and emotions she's experiencing stress for the first time.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post

Speaking of Janet running the neighborhood, is it just me or is she getting overwhelmed? Janets are designed to run neighborhoods filled with hundreds of humans and simultaneously fulfill their requests so given that there are only 7 humans one would think this neighborhood would be easier to run. Of course managing the fake humans (who hopefully we'll see interact with the real humans instead of just running around in the background), some of whom were created by Derek might be draining her. Or it could just be that now that she's evolved self-awareness and emotions she's experiencing stress for the first time.
We still really don't know how the Good Place works or what it's actually like. It's possible that every Good Place resident has their own Janet. And yeah, she did say that running all the fake humans is a huge stress to her system.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Well she remembers Chidi, but only as another lecturer at the university so it seems that all of Simone's memories after Eleanor arrived were wiped. Which means it's possible she lived for several decades afterwards thanks to Jeremy Bearimy.
I'm not going back to watch the episode so am just spitballing, but I'm guessing she may have seen the name "Chidi Abagonye"(sp?) in lists of professors etc. Her actual interactions with that man are removed, but things like casually seeing his name in lists are not.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 AM

I continue to be super impressed and love this show so much.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not going back to watch the episode so am just spitballing, but I'm guessing she may have seen the name "Chidi Abagonye"(sp?) in lists of professors etc. Her actual interactions with that man are removed, but things like casually seeing his name in lists are not.
Yeah, that's what she said. She doesn't remember Chidi, just the name.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:33 PM

There was a digital only release, The Selection, of six 2-3 minute parts. It's the story of how Shawn and his minions selected the bad place candidates for this seasons main arc. I thought it was really funny.

All six episodes are available on The Good Place's Youtube channel for those that want to check it out.

Last edited by DinoR; 10-01-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
All six episodes are available on The Good Place's Youtube channel for those that want to check it out.
And of course they were uploaded in the wrong order. Because demons.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

In one of the street scenes there was a restaurant in the background, it looked like Lasagne something but I couldn't read the entire name. Did anyone catch it? I assume it was another one of their joke restaurant names.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
In one of the street scenes there was a restaurant in the background, it looked like Lasagne something but I couldn't read the entire name. Did anyone catch it? I assume it was another one of their joke restaurant names.
IIRC, Lasagne Come Out Tomorrow. That one took me a moment to unpick, but I did laugh.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
IIRC, Lasagne Come Out Tomorrow. That one took me a moment to unpick, but I did laugh.
Much better if you sing it
Old 10-04-2019, 02:34 PM

There is something that I need to get off my chest: you're all ungrateful ash-faces who can shove your fat grumps all the way up your snork-box.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Episode 2: A Girl from Arizona part 2

They got Brent to start acting better with the idea of The Best Place, but doesn't that invalidate any improvement based on the concept of "moral dessert"? The same problem that got the Soul Squad disqualified for the Good Place themselves?

Also, I think we can assume we still have the real Michael - no way Vicki in a Michael skin suit is that good an actor.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Yes and discussed. Idea is that like her he can fake it til he makes it. That she began just pretending but then began doing to to good for real.

This one seemed a bit lacking to me. Iím hoping it ramps up some more.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:15 AM

Brand name on the giant golf balls during the chaos sequence: Entitleist
Old 10-06-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
There was a digital only release, The Selection, of six 2-3 minute parts. It's the story of how Shawn and his minions selected the bad place candidates for this seasons main arc. I thought it was really funny.

I watched it yesterday via Apple TV -- I bought a season pass for S4, and it's included -- and agree. Worth seeing. The whole thing is about 14 minutes long.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Brand name on the giant golf balls during the chaos sequence: Entitleist
Ooh, that's good.

The next question is: how do they get the other two (or even the other three) to believe that they need to engage in a course of self-improvement?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
The next question is: how do they get the other two (or even the other three) to believe that they need to engage in a course of self-improvement?
I'm not sure they are going to get there. Right now the show seems set on a predictable, straightforward course - which means that we are due for a massive shift in direction. The only thing predictable about this show is that it is unpredictable.

Although I did see that the book Chidi summoned was going to bop him in the head from a mile away - which is more than Chidi saw.

I am thinking that the neighborhood setup will turn out to not be the right environment for improvement. Three of the original four showed only marginal improvement, at least in the final reboot of the old neighborhood - remember that three of them failed the comically simple tests the judge set up (while Eleanor passed her much more difficult test). They all made much more progress when back on earth having confronted their near-death experiences - to the point when they agreed to try to save others when they were doomed to the bad place by discovering the "moral dessert".

After all, the root cause of the dysfunctional afterlife is the exponential increase in unintended consequences from otherwise well-intentioned actions. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" turns out to be true.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:28 PM

My opinion was that the season got off to a rocky start with an episode that was kind of all over the place.
But they got their mojo back in a big way with episode 2. Much better focus, with clear stakes and consequences, forward-moving plot, great laughs balanced with poignancy, and some excellent character moments.

If the rest of the final season continues this strong, it's going to be a fantastic finish!
Old 10-09-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I agree. I immediately thought Michael was switched when he went on the train. Otherwise that whole scene with the fake human was of no use. I have watched the Michael scenes closely, but there does not seem to be any hint he is switched, and he seems much more thoughtful than a switched Michael would be. So no prediction, but something is up.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

It also struck me as funny that Michael would go into "enemy territory", which is the train from the bad place, to deliver the prisoner. I would just expect that people from the train would come out to escort the prisoner onto the train.

Last edited by Mikemike2; 10-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 PM

How about this scenario: Michael was switched, Vicki in a Michael suit is taking Michaels place, using her love of acting(remember that playing a bigger part was her main motivation in season one) and hundreds of years observing Michael to blend in perfectly. Ultimately, by imitating him she has the same moral epiphany he did, and ultimately saves humanity by demonstrating to the judge that anyone can change.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about this scenario: Michael was switched, Vicki in a Michael suit is taking Michaels place, using her love of acting(remember that playing a bigger part was her main motivation in season one) and hundreds of years observing Michael to blend in perfectly. Ultimately, by imitating him she has the same moral epiphany he did, and ultimately saves humanity by demonstrating to the judge that anyone can change.
Could be, as I said something is up. But Vicki observed the bad Michael for 800 years, and was not really there to see him become good. Plus her mannerisms where exaggerated when she was in the Michael suit. So if she is pulling it off, she is doing great, lol.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Episode 3: Chillaxing

Right on cue, some deathlike guy coming to presumably upend the plot and start it in a new direction. Eleanor getting to like torturing Chidi isn't looking good for the results of the original group. I loved Jason being "useness"

John+Tahini was not fun at all, I didn't enjoy any of their interaction, I get they're going for "enjoyable annoying" but John is just "annoying annoying"
Old 10-12-2019, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Still feels like set-up, which is the usual MO with each season. They're starting to explore how the main cast is struggling, like they're the ones who are really being tortured again.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Still feels like set-up, which is the usual MO with each season. They're starting to explore how the main cast is struggling, like they're the ones who are really being tortured again.
There's so much emphasis being placed on the main cast's personal growth that I'm a little worried they'll go for a "psych, really we were just testing the main cast for salvation qualities!" twist.

But that would be lame, and none of the twists so far have been lame, so I shouldn't worry.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
There's so much emphasis being placed on the main cast's personal growth that I'm a little worried they'll go for a "psych, really we were just testing the main cast for salvation qualities!" twist.

But that would be lame, and none of the twists so far have been lame, so I shouldn't worry.
It seems obvious to me that the "test" is really how Eleanor deals with the stress of being Architect without compromising her moral growth. Or at least that's the direction I see this going. The new humans, even Jason, Chidi and Tahani are just distractions.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:53 AM

Episode 4: Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy.

Didn't see that one coming, even though it was already discussed upthread
Old 10-18-2019, 06:59 AM

It's always fun when Jason is the one to pick up the important detail.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:16 PM

I am pleased with myself - I immediately went "hey, where's the 'not a girl' - waitaminute....."

Last edited by singular1; 10-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
It's always fun when Jason is the one to pick up the important detail.
That's what ran through my head too.

And the little out-of-character surprises that actually are in-character if you think about it just really elevate the show for me.

Plus continuity. Didn't need to see windchimes.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Episode 4: Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy.

Didn't see that one coming, even though it was already discussed upthread
Assuming this really is the real Michael why did Shawn create a Michael suit only to switch Janet's? Was it just to mess with Michael's head (which would be completely in character for Shawn)?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Assuming this really is the real Michael why did Shawn create a Michael suit only to switch Janet's? Was it just to mess with Michael's head (which would be completely in character for Shawn)?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Vicky's just not that good an actress, no way she'd fool Eleanor for long. A hyperevolved Bad Janet nearly got away with it though. I imagine Vicky will have some use against Jason in a future episode though.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Why would the sex handcuff reveal the real Bad Janet? What do they normally do? And why did the sex diaper not have a rear?