Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Is O'Rourke deliberately sabotaging the Dems?

Here he is, giving the Republicans more ammunition for the general election. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if this is intentional.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

When did O'Rourke change his name to Mary Marg Olohan?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Here he is, giving the Republicans more ammunition for the general election. At this point, I'm starting to wonder if this is intentional.
He's certainly entitled to hold that opinion. Since he's very unlikely to get the nomination, I doubt it will get much play in the general election.

One feature of the two-party system is that members of one party will advocate for things that members of the other party may disagree with. It doesn't seem like a huge deal to me.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm not worried. I figure Trump's doing a far better job sabotaging the Republicans than O'Rourke is doing sabotaging the Democrats.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldnít say that he is trying to sabotage his party, my guess is that he has accepted by now that he canít retain a lot of support, let alone win, by sticking to the same platform as the more mainstream Dem candidates who are destroying him in the polls so he is now more focused on simply carving out his own niche within the Democratic Party, which he is betting might benefit his political future. Although I can hardly blame you for wondering that.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
When did O'Rourke change his name to Mary Marg Olohan?
It's only the latest in a series of his "made-up nicknames." Real nicknames are inherited through genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I'm not worried.
But are you concerned?
Old 10-11-2019, 01:10 PM

I don't agree with his viewpoint here. Religious institutions should lose their tax exempt status, assuming they wouldn't have that status if they aren't religiously oriented, regardless of their opinion about same-sex marriage.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

^ This ^
Old 10-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I think it's more likely that he's saying fairly outrageous things in order to stand out from the masses. I mean, if he's not the candidate, then that statement gives the Republicans no ammunition for the general election, right? I mean, it would be tough for them to go with, "failed Senate and presidential candidate said that churches should lose their tax status if they don't agree with him -- this obviously represents the entire Democratic party and you should vote against them."
Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What a great and thoughtful thing to wonder!
Old 10-11-2019, 01:50 PM

1. He has nothing to lose; it's all but certain that he won't be the 2020 nominee.

2. Having nothing to lose, he is much freer to speak his mind than Biden or Warren.

3. He needs to find a way to stand out from the pack.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:52 PM

I don't think he's hurting a sane Dem candidate. He's pretty much signed his political death warrant with that asinine "I'm coming for your guns" remark, but he'll be largely forgotten after Iowa, if he even makes it that far.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
I don't agree with his viewpoint here. Religious institutions should lose their tax exempt status, assuming they wouldn't have that status if they aren't religiously oriented, regardless of their opinion about same-sex marriage.
I and many others agree with you. My guess is Beto is just stupid.

Advocating a political litmus test for church tax status illustrates a lack of knowledge about the subject, and a lack of common sense for answering the question in the first place. Those who approve of tax exempt status for churches may want someone else's church to pay taxes, but usually they figure out the same laws would remove the status from their own church.

The question is political fodder, there is virtually no call for this at the grass roots level, it's the actual 'gotcha' type question*, because only a fool would get involved. As long as so many people are or pretend to be religious in this will not lead to removal of tax exempt status for all churches, it actually reinforces the notion they should not pay taxes as people consider what would happen to their own church.

*"What do you read?" is not a "gotcha" question.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post
Agree. It would have generated less controversy if it were all or none.

Sure, many Christians oppose churches being taxed no matter what. But what Beto said here is akin to a pro-lifer saying, "Abortions for white women, but none for women of color!"
Old 10-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Agree. It would have generated less controversy if it were all or none.
I doubt it. Saying "we should tax churches based on a litmus test" is not significantly more or less controversial than "we should tax churches". Both show a breath-taking combination of ignorance of the First Amendment, and political suicidal tendencies.

Every so often, a politician, especially one with nothing to lose, says what he means. I think that's what Beto did here. Which is why he is not referred to as Senator O'Rourke, and will never be referred to as President O'Rourke.

Reminiscent of the New York Post cover, when the various Dem candidates were asked if they wanted to provide illegal aliens with free health care - Who Wants To Lose The Election?

There's such a thing as shooting yourself in the foot. There is also such a thing as taking a chainsaw to the said appendage.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-11-2019, 03:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post

Reminiscent of the New York Post cover, when the various Dem candidates were asked if they wanted to provide illegal aliens with free health care - Who Wants To Lose The Election?

Jesus fucking Christ and his apostles! What a bunch of unhinged morons...
This is serious, folks. While chances are small, one of these traitors might become our next President. God help us all.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
I doubt it. Saying "we should tax churches based on a litmus test" is not significantly more or less controversial than "we should tax churches". Both show a breath-taking combination of ignorance of the First Amendment, and political suicidal tendencies.
While tax exemptions for religious institutions has been upheld, I don't think anything in the 1st amendment compels tax exempt status. The Congress could pass laws to tax churches like any other organization and not run afoul of the 1st amendment. It's not been the practice since the country's founding, but given that tax exempt status can be revoked based on criteria, it stands to reason that this is an available option.

I'd prefer the entire structure of not for profit entities be eliminated.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM

O'Rourke is polling at around 3% both nationally and in Iowa. He's not exactly gathering a big following among Democrats. Maybe he just needs to rebrand with more distinctive headwear.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee View Post
This is serious, folks. While chances are small, one of these traitors might become our next President. God help us all.
Really!?! Calling on religion to demand the inhumane treatment of others? It is treason to think ethically about giving health care to other human beings?

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org...mented/2008-04
Quote:
Why We Should Care for the Undocumented
Ron J. Anderson, MD

Health care for undocumented workers and their families has become an emotionally charged subject in my community. As the leader of a tax-supported public health system in Texas, I often find myself defending the provision of hospital care for the undocumented—a position that is not only rooted in the health system's legislative mandate but is consistent with its founding vision and mission statement and with federal and state law. Moreover, I believe our approach is economically prudent because it applies public health interventions to a vulnerable population, thereby diminishing the burden of illness and preventing higher costs to the community.

It is my position that our health system should in no way allow the care of someone who is seriously ill or injured to be compromised because of citizenship status. We have a clear mandate to provide medical care to all who enter our health system.
Quote:
Providing health care to undocumented workers and their families also makes good business sense. Consider that every dollar we spend on prenatal care allows us to avoid spending at least four dollars in neonatal intensive care services for low-birth-weight or premature babies. Regardless of parentage, the babies that we deliver in our hospital are American citizens, and it is important that they be healthy children who have the best chance of becoming productive and contributing members of our community.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 10-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee View Post
While the word "traitor" has been on everyone's mind lately given Trump's actions, it's good to remember it is not synonymous with "person with policies I don't support."
Old 10-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
While tax exemptions for religious institutions has been upheld, I don't think anything in the 1st amendment compels tax exempt status. The Congress could pass laws to tax churches like any other organization and not run afoul of the 1st amendment. It's not been the practice since the country's founding, but given that tax exempt status can be revoked based on criteria, it stands to reason that this is an available option.
The First doesn't specifically require tax exemption for churches, true, but it does forbid discriminating against religion. So this -
Quote:
is theoretically possible. You could not eliminate tax-exemption from churches but not other non-profits.

But Beto suggesting removing tax exemption from all charities would piss off everybody, not just religious people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster
Really!?! Calling on religion to demand the inhumane treatment of others? It is treason to think ethically about giving health care to other human beings?
No, it's un-Constitutional to interfere with the free practice of religion and free speech by imposing a litmus test on churches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Refugee
While chances are small, one of these traitors might become our next President.
Given Mr. O'Rourke's current position in the polls, and his unfortunate habit of warning us of his anti-Constitutional views, I think his chances are not so much "small" as "not a snowball's chance in hell".

Maybe somebody will pick him as VP. But I doubt that. He almost didn't lose in Texas. He almost didn't embarrass himself in the Democratic race for the nom. I suspect he has reached the pinnacle. At 3%. Among Democrats.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 10-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it's un-Constitutional to interfere with the free practice of religion and free speech by imposing a litmus test on churches.
We will have to disregard this reply of yours because that is not why I replied to the inhumane point that Northeast Refugee made.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 10-11-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:07 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Who gives a fuck what republicans think? THey are going to say this no matter what.

Also they aren't going to vote for O'Rourke anyway. It isn't like a bunch of angry white people from small towns in love with their guns were ever going to vote democrat anyway.

Also right wingers are not the average voter. The average voter believes in reasonable gun control.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Who gives a fuck what republicans think? THey are going to say this no matter what.

Also they aren't going to vote for O'Rourke anyway. It isn't like a bunch of angry white people from small towns in love with their guns were ever going to vote democrat anyway.

Also right wingers are not the average voter. The average voter believes in reasonable gun control.
It's not about core Republican voters. O'Rourke's stance will alienate moderates and independents, and you should care about what they think.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:22 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
It's not about core Republican voters. O'Rourke's stance will alienate moderates and independents, and you should care about what they think.
When republicans raised taxes on churches you didn't hear conservatives saying these things.

Which again brings up the point, why is it always the democrats who have to be moderate and reach across the aisle? And why do people always assume independents and moderates will recoil from anything remotely controversial if the democrats do it, but they're fine if republicans do the same thing?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ployees-670362

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/...-the-rich.html
Old 10-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
. So this -is theoretically possible. You could not eliminate tax-exemption from churches but not other non-profits.
No, I'm sure you could. You just make the litmus test be the percentage of your activities/spending that are actually charitable work, like every organization that isn't a church. If 80% of your business is giving speeches on the weekend, not tax exempt.

Last edited by CarnalK; 10-11-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
O'Rourke's stance will alienate moderates and independents
No it won't. Nobody cares about O'Rourke.

Fox News and Breitbart might engage in some recreational outrage and gin up some apoplexy among their fans, no doubt. But moderates and independents don't give any more shits about Fox News and Breitbart than they do about O'Rourke.

Nice try, though.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 10-11-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
What do you have against my credit union?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:29 PM

People who vote solely on having their supposed right to own guns aren't going to vote Democratic in a million years. Neither are evangelicals. It doesn't matter what Beto says or does.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Due to the current occupant of the White House, the scandal du jour just gets way less traction now than it used to. Few will remember this three weeks from now. Hell, most people won't hear about it in the first place.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
While the word "traitor" has been on everyone's mind lately given Trump's actions, it's good to remember it is not synonymous with "person with policies I don't support."
Don't worry. I'm sure there will be a number of conservatives who will post in this thread to explain the legal definition of treason and how Northeast Refugee used the word incorrectly. That's been a major cause with conservatives lately. So any second now...
Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Well, that’s it. Some 3rd string Democratic presidential candidate said something kinda dumb and ill-thought. I’m voting for Trump!
Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Few will remember this three weeks from now. Hell, most people won't hear about it in the first place.
That's true for everything connected with the Beto 2020 campaign, including Beto.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
That's true for everything connected with the Beto 2020 campaign, including Beto.
I am not even lying, when I saw the thread title, I was wondering what PJ was up to, and then I thought, maybe there's some other O'Rourke in politics I don't know about? I had to click through the link before I remembered Beto was in the race.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

I figured he meant Beto, but I still haven't heard about this 'sabotage' anywhere besides this thread.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 PM

In all the discussion about "free" health care it does need to be restated that Medicare (and, presumably, Medicare for all) does have a premium. As any recipient of it can attest.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Beto is a piker. If you really want to sabotage your own party, try committing multiple felonies like the guy temporarily occupying the White House.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your concern is duly noted.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Me? I'm not feeling "concern", and nothing I've written in this thread was intended to suggest that I do. Frankly, I'm delighted that asshat is running.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Extrajudicial

Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post

But are you concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
This is neither cute nor clever. Do not accuse other posters of trolling or being a troll in this forum.

[/moderating]
Old 10-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I am not even lying, when I saw the thread title, I was wondering what PJ was up to, and then I thought, maybe there's some other O'Rourke in politics I don't know about? I had to click through the link before I remembered Beto was in the race.
Ha! I thought it was PJ, too! He's definitely more in my consciousness than Beto is -- I've heard him on Wait Wait and I even have a book he wrote way back that I thought was pretty funny at the time, A Parliament of Whores.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:38 AM

I just introduced my 13-year old niece to the original "Poltergeist." I thought at first we were talking about Heather O'Rourke.

God, I need to quit mixing Ambien and Jim Beam.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Me? I'm not feeling "concern", and nothing I've written in this thread was intended to suggest that I do. Frankly, I'm delighted that asshat is running.
Let's suppose you're right. What do you think his motives might be in wanting to sabotage his own party?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 AM

I don’t know what the hell hes thinking but it’s fantastic for the right, so keep it up, Francis.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Let's suppose you're right. What do you think his motives might be in wanting to sabotage his own party?
I don't know, maybe: Make sure they don't win in 2020, so he can try again in 2024, as the darling of the Left.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know, maybe: Make sure they don't win in 2020, so he can try again in 2024, as the darling of the Left.
I hope you remember this moment next time you're tempted to mock liberals for their political fantasies.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I don’t think he’s engaging in deliberate sabotage, but he’s desperate. He doesn’t have his house seat any longer and doesn’t really have a path forward in TX. Buttigieg has picked up a lot of the moderate but not Biden vote that I’m sure Beto was hoping for. He kinda reminds me of this campaign’s Marco Rubio, not able to handle the national spotlight after being a state wide media darling.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I donít think heís engaging in deliberate sabotage, but heís desperate. He doesnít have his house seat any longer and doesnít really have a path forward in TX. Buttigieg has picked up a lot of the moderate but not Biden vote that Iím sure Beto was hoping for. He kinda reminds me of this campaignís Marco Rubio, not able to handle the national spotlight after being a state wide media darling.
I could see maybe a cabinet seat, but Iím not sure heíll get one prestigious enough to help him further his political ambitions.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I hope you remember this moment next time you're tempted to mock liberals for their political fantasies.
Oh, I don't know. This seems a good bit more plausible to me than "President Pelosi". YMMV.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:34 AM

He's young enough that just about any posting in a Dem administration will add a line to his resume and won't really hurt going forward.