Old 10-19-2019, 02:06 AM

People you may not know have an Oscar:

These you probably know:

Michael Douglas's first was as a producer on One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Brad Pitt as a producer, George Clooney (2) one as a producer.

Here's an obscure one, Lisa Blount...the redhead in "Prince of Darkness" who goes through the mirror at the end. She had one for a short film she produced.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:57 AM

Peter Capaldi, the twelfth Doctor, and top swearer Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It has an Oscar.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Here's an obscure one, Lisa Blount...the redhead in "Prince of Darkness" who goes through the mirror at the end. She had one for a short film she produced.
That scene of her and the mirror still chills me to the bone. When she appears in the dream sequence, brrrr
Old 10-19-2019, 03:04 AM

That short film also had her husband, one of my favorite Hollywood "that guys," Ray McKinnon.

Oscar nominee Melissa McCarthy (for "Bridesmaids") had a bit part in "The Life of David Gale," which featured Oscar winners Kevin Spacey and Kate Winslet. She was the goth girl who turned Oscar nominee Laura Linney's house into a tourist attraction.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

And oddly, although not listed as an Oscar winner, Walton Goggins received the Oscar with McKinnon and Blount and even gave a speech: The Accountant Wins Live Action Short: 2002 Oscars. So maybe he has one of the two they received.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Homer Simpson has one.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:48 AM

Brett McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords has one for best original song.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 AM

Dean Pelton, from COMMUNITY — “Would That This Desk Were A Time Desk!” — was played by Jim Rash, who’s got one. (Uh, an Oscar, not a time desk.)
Old 10-19-2019, 07:38 AM

It always surprised me that the X-Men movies had two Oscar laureates, neither of whom was Ian McKellan nor Patrick Stewart. (They were Anna Paquin and Halle Berry.)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Actor Keith Carradine has an Oscar (and Golden Globe) for best original song.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Ditto Tim Rice Andrew Lloyd Webber for You Must Love Me from Evita, written for the movie.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Mel Brooks

He won for best original screenplay (The Producers) in 1969
Old 10-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

People probably know Charlie Chaplin has honorary Oscars, but he also won a competitive Oscar for Best Original Score for Limelight in 1972 -- twenty years after the film was originally released.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Old 10-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Phil Collins has an Oscar. *choke*
Old 10-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

George Bernard Shaw has one for best adapted screenplay. For a long time, he was the only person with both a Nobel Prize and an Academy Award.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Movies these days often show several people as "producer." 12 Years a Slave had seven producers including Brad Pitt. Do all of them get credit for an Oscar if the film wins Best Picture?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Movies these days often show several people as "producer." 12 Years a Slave had seven producers including Brad Pitt. Do all of them get credit for an Oscar if the film wins Best Picture?
Wikipedia says:
Quote:
As of 2014, the "Special Rules for the Best Picture of the Year Award" limit recipients to those who meet two main requirements:[11]

Those with screen credit of "producer" or "produced by"
those three or fewer producers who have performed the major portion of the producing functions

The rules allow "bona fide team[s] of not more than two people to be considered to be a single 'producer' if the two individuals have had an established producing partnership for at least the previous five years and as a producing team have produced a minimum of five theatrically released feature motion pictures during that time.[11]
Old 10-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Phil Collins has an Oscar. *choke*
Not only is "You'll Be In My Heart" a good song, the entire Tarzan soundtrack is great. Phil has two other nominations, "Two Hearts," and "Against All Odds."
Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Eminem, of course, has an Oscar. Best Original Song is a fountain of odd Oscar winners: Lionel Richie, Annie Lennox, Juicy J, Isaac Hayes, Bob Dylan.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Bruce Springsteen damn well deserved his best original song Oscar for Streets of Philadelphia.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
Eminem, of course, has an Oscar. Best Original Song is a fountain of odd Oscar winners: Lionel Richie, Annie Lennox, Juicy J, Isaac Hayes, Bob Dylan.
Alas, only a nomination, and not a win, but Seth MacFarlane and Walter Murphy (best known for his 1970s disco song "A Fifth of Beethoven") were nominated for the song "Everybody Needs a Best Friend," from Ted.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
It also seems to be the best path to an EGOT.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Kobe Bryant won for Best Animated Short last year.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:02 PM

I just learned that Taikia Waititi (sorry I probably butchered that) of Thor Ragnarok fame has one for a short he did.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Brett McKenzie from Flight of the Conchords has one for best original song.
This I did not know. How cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodalicious View Post
Not only is "You'll Be In My Heart" a good song, the entire Tarzan soundtrack is great. Phil has two other nominations, "Two Hearts," and "Against All Odds."
It's true. I have to give credit to Phil Collins, he did a great job on that movie. Better than the movie, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
Kobe Bryant won for Best Animated Short last year.
True and kind of amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I just learned that Taikia Waititi (sorry I probably butchered that) of Thor Ragnarok fame has one for a short he did.
I knew about this and came in here to point it out. You beat me to it!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
It also seems to be the best path to an EGOT.
The hard one for the grand slam is the Tony.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Actually, I think the Grammy is the one that makes it tough, particularly for a non-musical actor. Helen Hayes and John Gielgud received their Grammy awards for spoken word recordings. And then you have non-acting types like the choreographer Bob Fosse or the set designer Tony Walton, who have won the Tony, Emmy and Oscar but have no clear path to a Grammy.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Alas, only a nomination, and not a win, but Seth MacFarlane and Walter Murphy (best known for his 1970s disco song "A Fifth of Beethoven") were nominated for the song "Everybody Needs a Best Friend," from Ted.
Another "alas," but Adam Duritz and Counting Crows were nominated for "Best Original Song" for Shrek 2 tune "Accidentally In Love," quite possibly the most upbeat and against-type song they've ever written, since Duritz is the most depressing son of a bitch on the face of the Earth. Johnny Cash would have told the man to lighten up.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How many times have we seen somebody win a Nobel, a Hugo, and a Superbowl Ring and then fall short on the Tony? It's practically become a cliche.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Three Six Mafia for the song "It's hard out here for a pimp"
Old 10-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
George Bernard Shaw has one for best adapted screenplay. For a long time, he was the only person with both a Nobel Prize and an Academy Award.
My first reaction was that Shaw must have been pissed, because the award was clearly for Pygmalion, for which they notably did NOT use the version he had written for the screen, and because THEY CHANGED THE ENDING!!!

It turns out that he was pissed, but for other reasons (although it was, indeed, for Pygmalion)

Quote:
Best Writing, Screenplay
Pygmalion (1938)
Shared with:
Ian Dalrymple
Cecil Lewis
W.P. Lipscomb
George Bernard Shaw was not present at the ceremony. When presenter Lloyd C. Douglas announced that Pygmalion has won the Oscar he joked "Mr. Shaw's story now is as original as it was three thousand years ago". Shaw's reaction to the award was not enthusiastic as he is quoted as saying "It's an insult for them to offer me any honour, as if they had never heard of me before - and it's very likely they never have. They might as well send some honour to George for being King of England". Although popular legend says Shaw never received the Oscar, when Mary Pickford visited him she reported that he was on his mantle. When Shaw died in 1950 his home at Ayot St Lawrence became a museum. By this time his Oscar statuette was so tarnished, the curator believed it had no value and used it as a door stop. It has since been repaired and is now on displayed at the museum.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0789737/awards

Quote:
Despite his contempt for Hollywood and its aesthetic values, Shaw was enthusiastic about cinema, and in the middle of the decade wrote screenplays for prospective film versions of Pygmalion and Saint Joan.[188][189] The latter was never made, but Shaw entrusted the rights to the former to the unknown Gabriel Pascal, who produced it at Pinewood Studios in 1938. Shaw was determined that Hollywood should have nothing to do with the film, but was powerless to prevent it from winning one Academy Award ("Oscar"); he described his award for "best-written screenplay" as an insult, coming from such a source.[190][n 23]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Bernard_Shaw

Last edited by CalMeacham; 10-20-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:44 PM

Clint Eastwood has won two Oscars - both for directing and neither for acting.
The films were "Unforgiven" (1992) and "Million Dollar Baby" (2004)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_meister View Post
Clint Eastwood has won two Oscars - both for directing and neither for acting.
The films were "Unforgiven" (1992) and "Million Dollar Baby" (2004)
He has four Oscars. But the other two are for producing the movies he won the directing awards for.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

I was at a concert by Buffy Sainte Marie, a Saskatchewan First Nations singer-songwriter. As she was tuning her guitar she said:

"Writing music is funny. It's sort of like raising a little bird and letting it go into the world. You never know where it will end up."

"This one came home one day with an Oscar."

Then she sang "Up Where We Belong" from An Officer and a Gentleman.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
I was at a concert by Buffy Sainte Marie, a Saskatchewan First Nations singer-songwriter. As she was tuning her guitar she said:

"Writing music is funny. It's sort of like raising a little bird and letting it go into the world. You never know where it will end up."

"This one came home one day with an Oscar."

Then she sang "Up Where We Belong" from An Officer and a Gentleman.
I was unaware that Jack Nitzsche ....who wrote with The Stones and did the soundtrack for The Razors Edge and Village of the Giants also won an AA for that same song.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
You'd think Bacharach would have one, but he only has the grammy and three Oscars.

Guess 'Promises Promises' didn't win enough awards.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 PM

If we're mentioning nominations as well, try this one:

What two regular cast members of All in the Family have been nominated for Academy Awards?

SPOILER:
Rob Reiner, nominated as a producer for A Few Good Men, and Danielle Brisebois (who played Edith's niece Stephanie in AitF's last season), nominated for Best Original Song from Begin Again.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
He has four Oscars. But the other two are for producing the movies he won the directing awards for.
Wow I was totally unaware of that.
I stand corrected - and thank you Mahaloth.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Peter Capaldi, the twelfth Doctor, and top swearer Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It has an Oscar.
I enjoyed the story he tells about being on the plane back to England and passing the Oscar around to all the passengers.

Another Oscar winner for best short is Christine Lahti. She was nominated for Swing Shift but her win came from her short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Bruce Springsteen damn well deserved his best original song Oscar for Streets of Philadelphia.
You will never convince me that the more deserving song was by Neil Young from the same movie.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:23 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

William Zabka was nominated but did not win.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:18 AM

The deadpan comedian, Steven Wright, was awarded an Oscar in 1989 for Best Short Live-Action Film for The Appointments of Dennis Jennings, which he co-wrote (with Michael Armstrong) and starred in. (Most of that is a quote from wiki.)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Fisher Stevens, best known for his part in Short Circuit and Short Circuit 2 won for Best Documentary Feature in 2009
Old 10-21-2019, 10:38 PM

Add Trey Parker and Matt Stone to the list of odd nominees for one of their songs from the South Park Movie. I think it was "What would Brian Boitano'd Do?" Also, because I'm too lazy to look it up and confirm, I think they're only an Oscar away from an EGOT.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Add Trey Parker and Matt Stone to the list of odd nominees for one of their songs from the South Park Movie. I think it was "What would Brian Boitano'd Do?"
Without looking it up, I think it was "Blame Canada"; I remember Robin Williams singing it on the Oscar telecast. He had to turn away rather than say "fuck" on the air.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
William Zabka was nominated but did not win.
This is what I came to say, because I thought he won. I came across another '80s actor turned producer the other day but I can't remember who.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Actually, I think the Grammy is the one that makes it tough, particularly for a non-musical actor. Helen Hayes and John Gielgud received their Grammy awards for spoken word recordings. And then you have non-acting types like the choreographer Bob Fosse or the set designer Tony Walton, who have won the Tony, Emmy and Oscar but have no clear path to a Grammy.
Tell this to Lin-Manuel Miranda. He's got three Tony awards, three Grammies, and an Emmy. He's also got a Pulitzer, a MacArthur grant, and two Olivier awards. But still no Oscar.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Without looking it up, I think it was "Blame Canada"; I remember Robin Williams singing it on the Oscar telecast. He had to turn away rather than say "fuck" on the air.
They only lost because the Academy refused to nominate "Uncle Fucka," which was the standout song of that movie.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Tell this to Lin-Manuel Miranda. He's got three Tony awards, three Grammies, and an Emmy. He's also got a Pulitzer, a MacArthur grant, and two Olivier awards. But still no Oscar.
Blame Robert Lopez, who blocked him and has a double EGOT (at least two of each award).
Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Funnily enough he contributes nothing (I think thats what he said) to Mary Poppins Returns music writing, so thats a non-starter.

He'll just have to wait for the inevitable boatload of Oscars Hamilton will get. I'm sure he'll at least get it as a producer on Best Picture.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
He'll just have to wait for the inevitable boatload of Oscars Hamilton will get. I'm sure he'll at least get it as a producer on Best Picture.
I’m not so sure. From what I understand the Hamilton movie is just the stage show that was once filmed. I have my doubts that it would be nominated for anything. Any song would have to be written for the movie and not from the stage show. It has to be an original song.

Maybe more likely is the movie coming out next year based on his earlier musical In the Heights