Old 10-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Random thoughts

Please feel free to post your own mental detritus here.

What is up with people painting around switchplates? I can't understand why someone would put all the effort into painting a room to make it look nicer, but not take two minutes to remove and replace that little piece of plastic. In almost every place I've ever lived, I've found that someone didn't take the switchplate off. Do people not know that they come off? Are they really just that lazy? Maybe they didn't own any screwdrivers or butter knives.

The other day, I looked down and saw that the hem of my dress was folded up. So I kissed it and folded it back down, because that means I'll get a new dress. Then I started wondering if I'm the only one who knows that old superstition. Possibly, because my new dress hasn't shown up yet.

I think I invented a new way to counter procrastination at work. ["But you're fucking off right now." "Yes, yes, never mind that."] Anyway, the deal is, you do one easy task, then a harder one. Then another easy one, then a hard one, etc. So it's a little easier to get started, and some of that stuff I've been pushing away gets done. Plus it turns out the hard stuff wasn't that bad.

One time my son told me that whenever his kindergarten teacher wanted the class to sit down and pay attention, she'd play the song Celebration by Kool & the Gang. That seems like a really poor choice to me! Now every time I hear that song I picture a kindergarten teacher getting all flustered while a bunch of little kids get down and shake their booties.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:49 AM

My wife is convinced that if I remove that switch plate, the electricity will jump out and bite her. But basically I agree with you.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post

What is up with people painting around switchplates? I can't understand why someone would put all the effort into painting a room to make it look nicer, but not take two minutes to remove and replace that little piece of plastic. In almost every place I've ever lived, I've found that someone didn't take the switchplate off. Do people not know that they come off? Are they really just that lazy? Maybe they didn't own any screwdrivers or butter knives.
Me Ex painted over switches and outlets.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
but not take two minutes to remove and replace that little piece of plastic.
"little piece of plastic"???

Heh, one of my eccentricities involves switch plates. Over the decades I've replaced all the generic plastic switch plate covers with works of art. I have mosaic switch plates, stainless steel switch plates, hand painted switch plates, etc.

Some of the coolest art pieces in our home are covering switches.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:55 AM

I hang out with the kind of people who just paint the switch plate. Once I had a friend help paint the living room of a house I was selling. I took it on myself to remove all the cover plates and she just ran the roller right over the switches.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:16 PM

You want detritus? You got it:

I was just working a Sudoku puzzle and tabulating which numbers I needed for a particular column; let's see--1, 2, 5, and my brain yells out THREE, SIR!
Old 10-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Random thought:
I've never done a Sudoku puzzle. In fact, I do not really know what they are.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Me Ex painted over switches and outlets.
Tis you a Pirate, Be? Arrrgh!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I think that's great! We're nearing the end of our bathroom remodel and I was thinking of replacing those switchplates with the nice kind, but then we're going to have this deluxe lavatory attached to this quotidian house. Obviously that would be simply dreadful.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:49 PM

I was in a crowd. Not my crowd. Just a random group of people walking into the same medical building. It seemed like we'd grow close and become friends on the elevator. Small talk was bantering about.But nope, I went left and every single one if those peeps went right.
Just like highschool. All my friends got the cool teacher for biology and I got the old hag bitch who gave homework every night.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think that's great! We're nearing the end of our bathroom remodel and I was thinking of replacing those switchplates with the nice kind, but then we're going to have this deluxe lavatory attached to this quotidian house. Obviously that would be simply dreadful.
Maybe you could have a quotidian house attached to a deluxe lavatory, instead. Would that work better?
Old 10-24-2019, 02:06 PM

What is the purpose of super-proprietary cord connectors if you are not going to then sell the cords separately? This message brought to you by my Norelco hair clippers with the insane double-tipped charger cord connector and the missing cord.

I mean, I get the whole iPhone scam where people lose the cords and end up spending a fortune to get new ones. But I can't find a place to even buy this ridiculous thing. So what was the point of tooling up a factory to make something completely different than every other connector on the market?

Oh, and switch plates? I am totally with the "paint over it" crowd. If you are not going to use something decorative, then make it match the dang wall. That's why they made it white in the first place. But don't get paint on the switch, that makes it stick.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Why is it that all electrical outdoor tools (mowers, leaf blowers,and tools like drills) now have a two-pronged plug when any extension cord over six feet is always designed for three prongs?

Why is it that when you see a road sign with the "not" symbol -- a red slash in a circle -- the "not" symbol fades away? And yet red stop signs show no sign of fading. And if the red fades, why use it when it make the "not" part of the sign unreadable?
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 10-24-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 PM

It's 12:34!
Old 10-24-2019, 03:38 PM

Never saw the "painted around switch plate" thing. It's always been taken off or (in all the rentals I've lived in) painted over.

Ditto outlets. I wonder how much herd thinning is going on each year of those idiots who paint over live outlets.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Obscure problem with being cheap - I'm just now getting around to watching True Blood, and I have no one with which to discuss it. I've taken to reading the old Cafe Society threads after I watch each episode.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Never saw the "painted around switch plate" thing. It's always been taken off or (in all the rentals I've lived in) painted over.

Ditto outlets. I wonder how much herd thinning is going on each year of those idiots who paint over live outlets.
I didn't realize painting over switch plates and outlets was so common until I read this thread. I thought it was just the people who used to own my house.

My own random thought: In "Jail House Rock" number 47 says to number 3 "You're the cutest jailbird I ever did see." I assume back when Elvis wrote that song prisons were segregated by gender the same as they are now. So I can only conclude that this relationship between 47 and 3 is a same-sex prison relationship.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Why is it that all electrical outdoor tools (mowers, leaf blowers,and tools like drills) now have a two-pronged plug when any extension cord over six feet is always designed for three prongs?
The extension cord is universal; it can accommodate two-prong and tree-prong plugs. So that makes sense.

Many electrical things today are "double insulated." This means they have two levels of insulating materials between the electrical parts (inside the device) and any parts on the outside you touch. It is not necessary for the outer chassis of these devices to be connected to ground.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Heh, one of my eccentricities involves switch plates. Over the decades I've replaced all the generic plastic switch plate covers with works of art. I have mosaic switch plates, stainless steel switch plates, hand painted switch plates, etc.

One of the requirements here is that if a room is going to be painted, all the crappy plastic switch plates go in the trash and are replaced by much nicer ones. Over the years, we've had plates made of wood, metal, ceramic and leather.

We do have one odd one in this house that I couldn't find a replacement for, so all the ones in that room got a makeover with an antique gold hammered finish.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Re: switch plates: I think I did the opposite of all of y'all, and replaced the ornate metal switch and outlet plates for plain plastic
Old 10-25-2019, 02:05 PM

It's 1:05

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 10-25-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: zo
Old 10-25-2019, 03:29 PM

$ echo $RANDOM
Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It's 1:05
You're in the FUTURE!

But only one minute in the future at the time I read your post.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 PM

I picked up a leaf the other day and thought about eating it, and then daydreamed what it would be like to eat leaves with every meal.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:09 PM

How about a Deep Thought?:

"Some people are like Slinkies,
They don't really have a purpose,
But they still bring a smile to your face
When you push them down the stairs." -- Jack Handy
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Just found my dummy Yorkie randomly in a closet upstairs. Why? Just why?
Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
. . .
The other day, I looked down and saw that the hem of my dress was folded up. So I kissed it and folded it back down, because that means I'll get a new dress.
. . .
We used to do this when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
Re: switch plates: I think I did the opposite of all of y'all, and replaced the ornate metal switch and outlet plates for plain plastic

I would have replaced those too.
I mean, y'all see it too, don't you?!?

And if the . . you know . . .were . . . Oh MY!!!

Last edited by TruCelt; 10-25-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
We used to do this when I was a kid.

And if the . . you know . . .were . . . Oh MY!!!
I see, I see. Man that's bad.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:18 PM

Today Akiko (my dog) demonstrated that she can open the front door. I went over to my parents' house to feed their animals (I'm house sitting for them). Akiko opened the front door and took off, with my son's Chihuahua following. My daughter told me the dogs were out. I opened the front door to go after them, and there was Akiko on the porch. Clever girl.

Quote:

Do you have any favorite sources for the covers?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
There are a lot of architectural salvage companies, as well as companies remaking classic hardware. Rejuvenation has a good selection. I'm saving up to replace all my bathroom switch plates with... framed porcelain!
Old 10-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Indeed I do, but they're all pretty obscure. I commissioned an artist on Etsy to make one; it's an abstract mosaic and it is beautiful. But she is no longer on Etsy. One was made by an artist in Barbados who cuts up old oil drums and makes art with the pieces. Several are from Main Exhibit Gallery, a store in Ligonier, PA, right down the street from Joe's Bar.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:48 AM

I'm not superstitious but, at this time of year, I have to catch a falling leaf - whilst riding a bike. The leaf then has to be transported home for display as proof (actually, left on the garage window sill.) If I fail to do this, it has some effect on luck, but I've never been clear about what exactly the effect is. But it's not something you'd want.

On Tuesday I caught one clean - snatched it right out of the air. It's in the garage now, job done. But I always assume that catching more than one is a good thing, and on Thursday I caught another - again, the catch was a thing of beauty. Thing is, when I stuffed it in a pocket, it got caught on my glove, came back out of the pocket and dropped on the ground.

I got it home - but does it count or not? And does it matter anyway, because of Tuesday's successful catch? This has been on my mind for days.

j
Old 10-26-2019, 09:53 AM

I have a friend whose last name rhymes with "angry".
Old 10-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
What is the purpose of super-proprietary cord connectors if you are not going to then sell the cords separately? This message brought to you by my Norelco hair clippers with the insane double-tipped charger cord connector and the missing cord.

Don't know if this is what you need, but I had to replace a Norelco charger once, and this was it:
https://www.amazon.com/Norelco-HQ850.../dp/B001XSRQA0

You might also try
https://norelco.factoryoutletstore.com

Last edited by Lare; 10-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:10 PM

Speaking of detritus, the name used in our family for the unidentifiable fuzzy gunk that accumulates in the pockets of jackets, pants and other garments was "gnurr" (pronounced with a hard 'g', emphasis on the second syllable).

Unlike dryer lint and earwax, gnurr appears through a process of spontaneous generation not yet elucidated by science.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I have a friend whose last name rhymes with "angry".
Did you know that there are only three English words that end with "-gry"?
Old 10-26-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
Speaking of detritus, the name used in our family for the unidentifiable fuzzy gunk that accumulates in the pockets of jackets, pants and other garments was "gnurr" (pronounced with a hard 'g', emphasis on the second syllable).

Unlike dryer lint and earwax, gnurr appears through a process of spontaneous generation not yet elucidated by science.
Francesco Redi was way ahead of you.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:30 PM

Why when I look at my cats do they appear to totally understand what I'm thinking? My dogs look at me with pure love, unconditionally.
When I sing aloud the cats fly to the beams but my dogs run to me and are happy.
My pets are giving me mixed signals.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 AM

Why did I buy the dishwasher?
Why is my oven making that noise?

I don't entertain, don't want people in my home and if taken care of promptly there are never enough dishes to warrant more than a sinkful of hot soapy water. So why did I buy the damn thing?

What would be the effect of legalizing prostitution nationwide? How would the national psyche be affected? What about crime rates, the mental health industry and by extension big pharma? What other ripple effects?

Last edited by DorkVader; 10-27-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:52 AM

I like ripple potato chips.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:35 AM

Ah, my hairdresser told me not to wrap elastic bands around my hair, not even the coated ones (like I would use anything else). Instead he suggested that I hook bobby pins around the elastic on each side, then wrap the elastic around my hair, then secure the bobby pins.

WTF? I still have an elastic band wrapped around my hair! Plus now I have bobby pins that are going to slide out. This is just not going to work and I don't know why anyone would suggest it.

If he had suggested I do this with a nonelastic ribbon, for instance, well, it still wouldn't work--it would slide out--but at least there wouldn't be any elastic, which seems to be the problem. Apparently it heats up with the heat of your skin and cooks your hair and then you get split ends. So it is okay to put a coated elastic band on the end of your braid, because it's not next to your head and won't get that hot.

But wait! My HAIR is next to my head. Like, all the time. If my head's that hot (which I don't believe it is) how is it that I have any hair left at all? And I have quite a bit.

Whoa. Back to the chopsticks. Which actually work very well.

This is not the first really weird thing told to me by a hairdresser. I don't know where they learn it.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 10-27-2019 at 01:36 AM. Reason: overuse of parentheses
Old 10-27-2019, 02:04 AM

Why does my upstairs neighbor vacuum his carpet at 11 pm and again at 2 pm, followed by moving furniture? My complex has a mandatory 10 pm-6 a.m. quiet time. How does anyone think vacuuming is quiet?

Also, I'm trying to figure out this dress-kissing thing. Do I double over or lift the hem to my lips? I'm thinking the latter could get me a new dress or 30 days in the pokey.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:17 AM

You know, I kinda like the orange jumpsuits prison inmates wear. They look comfy. Lots of pockets. Handy.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Why when I look at my cats do they appear to totally understand what I'm thinking? My dogs look at me with pure love, unconditionally.
When I sing aloud the cats fly to the beams but my dogs run to me and are happy.
My pets are giving me mixed signals.
Perhaps the dogs believe you are in pain, and are trying to comfort you.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:12 PM

i burnt the bacon, i burnt thefuckinh bacon noooooooooo
Old 10-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Perhaps the dogs believe you are in pain, and are trying to comfort you.
Yeah, I like to pretend that.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 AM

35?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I totally see it. And I'm glad somebody else knows about the hem-kissing thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Ah, my hairdresser told me not to wrap elastic bands around my hair, not even the coated ones (like I would use anything else).
Yep, I use hairsticks to put my hair up too, but it really doesn't work if you also want to wear a ball cap. And if you take the stick out, you can't wear it on your wrist like the elastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
i burnt the bacon, i burnt thefuckinh bacon noooooooooo
Me too! I mean it was black. And we ate it anyway.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Did you know that there are only three English words that end with "-gry"?
One of them is Stangry, right> My buddy Angry Johnny Stangry.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Should I get some more cheese? How long is going to take to buy Vodka, eggnog and bread? This thread is the exact opposite of meditation. I should see if hats are on sale.