Old 10-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Castle Rock S2 - I'm not frightened

Nor even very entertained. Season two dropped on Wednesday on Hulu, starring Lizzie Caplan as the young Annie Wilkes (from Misery). A decent actor, but she's wasted in this, as is most everyone else. I'm in four episodes so far and it's pretty much a mess.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:51 PM

That's too bad. We haven't had a chance to start it yet. Does anyone from the first season repeat in this one?
Old 10-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
That's too bad. We haven't had a chance to start it yet. Does anyone from the first season repeat in this one?
I honestly have no memory of S1.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM

I was going to start a thread about this. I'm really enjoying it. I had no idea they were even making a second season and only happened upon it when watching a replay of SNL.

Lizzie Caplan is doing a bang up job channeling Kathy Bates's Annie. The plot line itself is kind of bizarre. Is there actually a large Somali population in Maine, or anywhere in the US, for that matter? Speaking of which, am I the only one who involuntarily said "I am the captain now" when Barkhad Abdi appeared? The actress that plays his sister is stunning.

Can anyone help me with some of the names / references?

The Imporium Galorium - is that from Needful Things? I know Pop and Ace Merrill are from another story but I can't place from which book. What about Marsten (the name of the mansion where the junkies hang out)?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I was going to start a thread about this. I'm really enjoying it. I had no idea they were even making a second season and only happened upon it when watching a replay of SNL.

Lizzie Caplan is doing a bang up job channeling Kathy Bates's Annie. The plot line itself is kind of bizarre. Is there actually a large Somali population in Maine, or anywhere in the US, for that matter? Speaking of which, am I the only one who involuntarily said "I am the captain now" when Barkhad Abdi appeared? The actress that plays his sister is stunning.

Can anyone help me with some of the names / references?

The Imporium Galorium - is that from Needful Things? I know Pop and Ace Merrill are from another story but I can't place from which book. What about Marsten (the name of the mansion where the junkies hang out)?
Ace pops up in a couple of King books. He was one of the teen thugs in "The Body" novella (Stand By Me) and was mentioned in at least one other novel as an adult. The Marsten House was a major locale in "'Salem's Lot".
Old 10-28-2019, 10:54 AM

I unfortunately couldn't make it through the first season. Nice atmosphere but too slow for me. The Haunting of Hill House was the same way.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
I think the realtor from S1 shows up in S2, but I'd need to re-watch both seasons to be certain.

I don't think Castle Rock is supposed to be frightening so much as troubling, and it is definitely that.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
Is there actually a large Somali population in Maine, or anywhere in the US, for that matter? Speaking of which, am I the only one who involuntarily said "I am the captain now" when Barkhad Abdi appeared? The actress that plays his sister is stunning.
There actually is a bit of a thing in Lewiston. https://apnews.com/7f2b534b80674596875980b9b6e701c9 I haven't lived in Maine for almost 30 years, but that would have been a hell of a change from when I did.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:26 PM

It is so strange how several people I've talked to have no memory of the first season! I honestly cannot remember anything but the vaguest details.

This season has been outstanding so far. The actor who plays younger Annie does a remarkable job but TEEN Annie (Ruby Cruz) should win an award for this episode.