Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Cary, North Carolina, population of approximately 170,000, is consistently rated as one of the safest communities of its size in the U.S. As far As I can tell, the "bad part of town" is that neighborhood where they are lazy about keeping the lawns mowed.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:28 PM

The new Family Dollar store immediately became the bad part of this remote mountain village. Previously the bad part was the biker bar across the road and the trailer park behind it. But the main danger here is cars speeding to and from the ski resort upcountry. We call this the Kirkwood 500.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 PM

In one of my two jobs, I routinely go into the homeless camps alone. This occurs three days a week.

Does that count?
Old 11-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Do you ever go to your city's "bad part of town"?

Go? I'm soaking in it.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Used to work in the Bad Area. The school was fenced in with security at the gates. My commute took me directly thru the intersection that was the geographic reference point for the whole zone.

It was really scary after the Rodney King verdict. A bit scary a few other times. But generally just a normal, everyday poor part of town.

In grad school, I spent two nights a week at the college's adult extension branch. Also located at the nominal intersection for the area. There were two murders and a third body found within a block of the place while I worked there. All of us went there in one car as a group and stuck together going in and out. Got offered smack from time to time. But the students we worked with were just flat out great people.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

I've lived in a couple places here in Missoula, MT. I currently live in a nice little apartment building right by some train tracks (a spur line) but I used to live in a townhouse across the street from a trailer park, which wouldn't have been so bad except that right after I left, there was a police standoff with a methhead in that trailer park. Nothing before or since, really, so I guess that trailer park isn't bad after all. Funnily enough, that trailer park is also right by a rather upscale bistro attached to a members-only grocery co-op, one of the more yuppified places in the city.

But Missoula's just kinda like that: You'll get a rather nice section right by a poor one, and plenty of sections of just plain boring residential areas. The worst place is probably the drug den of a cheap motel right across from the Poverello Center, the city's homeless shelter, which is very close to a literal island in the Clark Fork river known for being a vagrant campground, with all of the drug- and psychosis-fueled violence that entails. That's not far from one of the city's hospitals, St. Patrick's, which makes a certain kind of sense. Of course, I used to walk right through that part of town at 3 AM because I used to walk at 3 AM and I never had any problems.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:35 AM

In 1975, I moved to Chicago to attend the University of Chicago graduate school. I had student housing at 1369 East Hyde Park. Two days after I arrived, I had to fly to DC for an interview. I got back to ORD about 11:00P and, being unfamiliar with the city, decided to take the Green Line to 51st Street (which becomes East Hyde Park) and walk home. It was incident-free, though I got quite a few stares because I was in a business suit and carrying a briefcase. (I'm a very white boy.) My friends were appalled to learn that I had walked from the station at that time of night. I hadn't given it a minute's thought, though I would never have done it again after I got familiar with the area.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:34 AM

When I was a small boy, I lived with my parents for four years in Toronto's Jane and Finch neighborhood which, while there are worse neighborhoods, does have a reputation for a higher rate of crime and poverty. There is a lot of public housing there (though we lived in a good privately owned apartment) and it is considered to be something of a ghetto. When we lived there, though (1981-1985), it had more better-off people living there, and was, all things considered, quite a nice area to live in. Even today, there are, for example, a good public library, a lot of wonderful parkland, and a large university in close proximity. I spent some of the most carefree years of my life there, and have on many occasions gone for sentimental walks there in my adult life. On one such walk in 2011, I was stopped by two police officers in the parking lot of a strip mall and given a very thorough questioning (they even had a sergeant come and question me a second time), because apparently they thought I resembled someone who had gotten angry on a bus and kicked the door or something.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Lived there in various towns until I moved to DC. Sometimes actually bad (drug dealer next door, shooting in, per police, "known drug house.", etc.) And sometimes "bad" as in it's fine but some people are scared of brown people .

In the actually bad neighborhood, it was the white people doing sketchy shit.

And in one town my neighborhood was meh but the grocery store had police all over because it was a bad area. But that was the closest grocery so I went there all the time.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:22 PM

My grad school was in the bad part of town, and I go back semi-regularly to give lectures and attend alumni functions.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Checking crimes maps for my actual town, I guess I live in/adjacent to the bad part of town, but that an incredibly low bar and almost certainly means a handful of frat bros throwing punches outside a bar.

If you mean the nearest adjacent city, no, I don't go to the bad parts of DC.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Your city's "bad part of town" has deer and ducks?
Ashland, Oregon doesn't really have a "bad part." But there have been a few times when gangs of hooved hoodlums on the street made me a bit nervous...
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Here's another one: The neighborhood I grew up in!

At the time it was just a regular 50s-60s subdivision boom area. But later on it went downhill and became a high crime area. It is the reference point for Bad Stuff within the city. Since my mother still lived there, I stayed there often. I'd walk around to see what stuff was still standing. Felt reasonably safe. So relatively, but not absolutely bad.

She finally sold and moved out a few years ago and I've only driven thru the area a couple times since.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 PM

The bad part of my town is where there's a cluster of a McDonald's, a 99 cent store, and 6 gas stations all on the same block. Every single homeless person in this part of the state seems to cluster there for whatever reason despite it not being the busiest part of the city. The McDonalds has two armed security guards at all times and the 99 cent store is similar, while each gas station has a security guard also positioned inside. It's one of those places where you don't even look in the general direction of someone or else they and their friends will bum-rush you asking for money and will get quite aggressive with you if you refuse. No murders yet but people get robbed all the time and I had an incident where I in my car waiting at an exit about to get back on the road when a person walked up to my drivers side window with a large knife in their hands and motioned for me to roll down my window. I don't know what exactly his plan was but he had his knife to the window when he motioned for me to roll it down so he wasn't trying to conceal it. I just ignored him and drove away.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
Ashland, Oregon doesn't really have a "bad part." But there have been a few times when gangs of hooved hoodlums on the street made me a bit nervous...
Ashland's bad part was where the mudflows wiped out real estate.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:48 AM

What is the "bad part" of a city? Looking at my city, the crime statistics don't necessarily match up with the neighborhoods people consider bad or dangerous. Specific neighborhoods or parts of the city are said to be bad, but most of the crime happens downtown, where people are around at night, often having been drinking. It seems like mostly a simple matter of where the targets of the crimes can be found.

Where I live, there are gang tags, and I sometimes hear gunshots. In the ~10 years I've been here, there was a drive by shooting a block away once. Maybe they are really good shots . . . I haven't heard of any bystanders being shot since I've been here. But, it is also just a diverse working to middle class neighborhood. I have never been afraid to walk around, even late at night. We did have a burglary once while we were out walking the dog, but we knew who did it. It felt bad, but it didn't feel like the neighborhood's doing. I consider it a great neighborhood.

A person I carpool with lives in a much wealthier part of town. But she can't have packages delivered to her house because people steal them off her porch, and she has gotten warnings from neighbors about a person who was assaulting people on the sidewalk. But no one calls that part of town bad. It's also a very white part of town.

So, I'm not sure what my answer to the question is, because I don't know what part of town you would consider the "bad part."
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

When I lived in a city with a bad part of town (Springfield, IL), I oft had to go there for my job. I also went there voluntarily from time to time, there was a BBQ place that was to die for.

Never got so much as a dirty look.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:04 PM

In the bad part of my town, the ice cream truck plays Helter Skelter.

Not really. We don't have a really bad part of town. I've been in some fairly sketchy areas of other towns, but usually during the day.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post

I’d suspect that one could become positively frightened by encountering people smoking pot with some seeds and stems mixed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Yes. I live there.

There's actually almost zero crime in my neighborhood, and most of the crime in the immediate vicinity occurs on the "good" side of town. According to my cynical father, it's because "the crooks gotta live somewhere," and "they don't rob from each other." Thanks, Dad.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Yes, whenever I need to visit Leroy Brown.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I don't think either the city I live in, or the city I work in, even have bad sides. Both about as vanilla as can be.

The city I used to live in had somebody kidnap a woman, sexually assault her roommate, then stole a car and kidnapped a family of four. When the cops caught up with him, they exchanged gunfire but he committed suicide. But nobody involved except the cops actually lived in the city.

I used to work in a building where upstairs was the IT department, and downstairs was the adolescent detox center. Periodically I saw some drugged-out teenagers being dragged in handcuffs, and sometimes his friends would try to break into the wrong part of the building and free him. Or vandalize cars. Eventually IT took over the whole building, but we still needed security guards because there were a good number of alcoholics and druggies wandering the neighborhood panhandling and/or headed for the homeless shelter a couple of blocks down the road.

I haven't been back there in years.

The church I grew up in was pretty much in the middle of a ghetto, but on Sunday morning all the criminals were still in bed, so it only affected us when we went there during the week. Eventually it got bad enough that my folks went to a different church, and now it is closed.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-07-2019, 06:18 PM

I live in St Louis (30 years) and yes...I have been in every sketchy area in this metropolis. I also used to appraise real estate in East St Louis and Centerville IL...so Yes to the OP.

And HeyHomie I have previously lived in Springfield for a LONG time. My mom and brother are still there, appraising real estate. Where is the nefarious area you speak of?? the east side??
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 PM

I could claim to be the bad part of my remote village.

I'm reminded of an ancient MAD look at small towns. A briefcase-toting suited guy tells a little girl at a homemade lemonade stand, "I'm looking for the business district." She replies, "Speaking."

In the bad part of the forest, the bucks have sharpened antlers.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpbass View Post
In the bad part of my town, the ice cream truck plays Helter Skelter.

Not really. We don't have a really bad part of town. I've been in some fairly sketchy areas of other towns, but usually during the day.
We actually had an ice-cream truck cruise through that played Black Sabbath, Beatles, Grateful Dead -- all that. The owner/operator was an old burn-out and there were constant rumors about him selling dope out of it. In actual fact he was probably the only ice-cream truck NOT selling dope. The dude was a fixture of our summers and is greatly missed but he would have been pleased with the turn-out for his funeral.

(Natural causes in case you wondered. And around here we always wonder.)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSpaceForRent View Post

And HeyHomie I have previously lived in Springfield for a LONG time. My mom and brother are still there, appraising real estate. Where is the nefarious area you speak of?? the east side??
A lot of my work was in about a six-block radius of 11th & Cook (near east side). The BBQ place I spoke of was near MLK & South Grand.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 PM

In Japan the bad parts of town are bad because they are poor not because they are dangerous. So yeah, I go all the time.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM

where I live there's no real "good part" any more just some places worse than others
Old 11-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
Cary, North Carolina, population of approximately 170,000, is consistently rated as one of the safest communities of its size in the U.S. As far As I can tell, the "bad part of town" is that neighborhood where they are lazy about keeping the lawns mowed.
Or the ones who hang flags out front that aren't municipal in nature, the ones that have too many lights on the front window, or the businesses that use colors that aren't from the approved palette. I used to live in Swift Creek, and Cary was annexing its way around it. Glad I moved.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
We actually had an ice-cream truck cruise through that played Black Sabbath, Beatles, Grateful Dead -- all that. The owner/operator was an old burn-out and there were constant rumors about him selling dope out of it. In actual fact he was probably the only ice-cream truck NOT selling dope. The dude was a fixture of our summers and is greatly missed but he would have been pleased with the turn-out for his funeral.

(Natural causes in case you wondered. And around here we always wonder.)
That's an ice cream truck I can dig. Sweet story.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm in San Antonio Texas, and the bad parts of town would be lower middle class in Atlanta. It's diametrically opposite of where I am in the city, but other than being obviously economically disadvantaged (there's quite a bank desert there, for example), it's nothing like some of the ATL.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

My husband and I help gentrify a bad part of town.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
I had to look up crime stats to figure out what the "bad part of town" might be. Looks like by most metrics (I think 'serious assault rates' is the best one) it's the one in between my house, University, and my kids school, that I cycle through every day.Kambukta's former stomping ground (I believe?) of Fitzroy - one of those places you have to mortgage your firstborn to be able to afford to buy a house there.

The suburbs that have a reputation for being 'rough' these days are mostly on the city fringe, and I don't have reason to get out there usually (also, there's a hell of a lot of fringe, and only really tiny pockets of 'rough')
I tell people that visiting Melbourne is like visiting the suburbs. Even the bad parts of our town are still suburban... I've lived in Fitzroy (burglary), Carlton (burglary), West Melbourne (burglary), North Melbourne (burglary), all inner-city areas, and had to put up with residents complaining about the provision of social services (attracts bad people!), but the house breaking was always when no one was home. When I talk to people, it's the people who live in Pakenham and Frankston (outer suburbs) who worry about home invasions.