Old 10-31-2019, 07:44 PM

Arianna Grande's Halloween Costume

Twilight Zone theme.
I vaguely remember that episode.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Latex, I guess? I suppose that's how you do Halloween, when you have access to Hollywood makeup tech.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Twilight Zone theme.
It's from one of the iconic episodes of the series.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:00 PM

Good for her. That's one of my favorite TZ eps.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:05 PM

Yeah, Halloween parties in Hollywood can be.....intimidating?...unfair?

"So, you are wearing an actual Star Wars storm trooper outfit? Nice."

"So, you got 7 times Oscar winner Rick Baker to do your Halloween make-up? Nice."
Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM

That's disgustlngly great.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Twilight Zone theme.
Hot!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 PM

She's so beautiful!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:38 PM

Her smoking in the picture makes it even better.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Good for her. That's one of my favorite TZ eps.
Wasn't the hideous monster Donna Douglas/Ellie Mae Clampett? She was astonishingly beautiful.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Wasn't the hideous monster Donna Douglas/Ellie Mae Clampett? She was astonishingly beautiful.
Yes, it was, and the name of the episode was "Eye of the Beholder".
Quote:
Janet Tyler is in hospital having undergone treatment to make her look normal. It's her 11th trip to the hospital for treatment and she is desperate to look like everyone else. Some of her earliest childhood memories are of people looking away, horrified by her appearance. Her bandages will soon come off and she can only hope that this, her last treatment, will have done the trick. If not, her doctor has told she will be segregated with a colony of similar looking people. All that to say that truth is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by galen ubal; 10-31-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Right.

At first I thought it might be from The Masks.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-31-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Yes, it was, and the name of the episode was "Eye of the Beholder".
Thank you for the link. I hadn’t watched that in years.

Miss Tyler...hubba hubba.

“Ugly Guy” in the last few minutes? Hubba hubba. Wouldn’t kick HIM out of bed.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
“Ugly Guy” in the last few minutes? Hubba hubba. Wouldn’t kick HIM out of bed.
Neither would I, and his name was Edson Stroll. He was also in Snow White and the Three Stooges.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but a different actress, Maxine Stuart, provided her voice for all but the final line.
Quote:
The director, Douglas Heyes, wanted the show to feature actors with sympathetic voices. To achieve this, he cast the episode with his back to the performers.[2] Heyes had planned to have Maxine Stuart, who spoke all the lines of the main character Janet Tyler, when her head is entirely covered by bandages, dub the single line spoken by Tyler when she is revealed (as portrayed by the actress Donna Douglas). However, Douglas had been listening to Stuart's voice as she recorded her part, and was able to imitate her so successfully that she was allowed to speak the line on camera.
I happened to watch it within the last year or two, and I realized in the first few minutes, "that's not Ellie Mae's voice!"
Old 11-01-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
Yes, but a different actress, Maxine Stuart, provided her voice for all but the final line.

I happened to watch it within the last year or two, and I realized in the first few minutes, "that's not Ellie Mae's voice!"
I always loved that ep but got to the point where I hated the dramatic soliloquy. That hammy voice "I just want to be normal! Why can't I be normal?" Yeah yeah yeah, just get to the part with the ugly pig faces

I'm no AG fan, but I highly endorse her costume. Next time, maybe she could lose the ponytail.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Before clicking this link, I would have bet $20 that the thread would be about Grande wearing a costume that was racist or appropriation or something similar. Not to imply anything about Grande, but that seems to be the usual annual celebrity costume scandal. Nice to see it was about a well done and original costume! (Well, "original" as in not a current pop-culture thing)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Latex, I guess? I suppose that's how you do Halloween, when you have access to Hollywood makeup tech.
Years ago when the Beauty and the Beach TV series was running, a couple entered the masquerade a Catherine and Vincent and Vincent's makeup was totally convincing. It lasted about two days -- he had to sleep very carefully on his back with a couple restraining pillows on either side -- then the latex began to crack around the mouth.

CostumeCon is held every year in the Spring on alternate coasts. Mostly they're 'just' costumes but there is a lot of prosthetic makeup as well.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:07 AM

That is one of the episodes of TZ that sticks in my mind.

I'm wondering if Ms Grande has ever seen TZ or knows what her costume is from!?
Old 11-01-2019, 11:14 AM

That is apt in so many ways. She seems to in-body a character similar to those in that episode. If she realizes that, then it's brilliant. If not, then it's just really cool.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:49 PM

That's awesome!
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 PM

She kinda looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moe_Szyslak Moe Szyslaks daughter.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I'm wondering if Ms Grande has ever seen TZ or knows what her costume is from!?
Do you have any reason to think she doesn't?

I'd say the fact that she decorated her whole house TZ themed, and also tweeted out about watching the show, would indicate that she knows.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Honestly, I was expecting more after I saw this picture of Heidi Klum's Halloween costume.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
That is apt in so many ways. She seems to in-body a character similar to those in that episode. If she realizes that, then it's brilliant. If not, then it's just really cool.
I believe the word you were looking for is "embody," not "in-body."

Quote:
To be an expression of or give a tangible or visible form to (an idea, quality, or feeling).
"a team that embodies competitive spirit and skill"
Old 11-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Ariana should have teamed up with this cosplayer. Heck, they could have had Japanese BBQ together.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:30 PM

SNL did a great sketch on that TZ episode, with Pamela Anderson in the role played by Donna Douglas.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:58 PM

Damn. My opinion of Arianna Grande just went up.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
Honestly, I was expecting more after I saw this picture of Heidi Klum's Halloween costume.
I don't think it's fair to expect more just because Klum is nutso over the top. She's probably already got teams working on 2020 & 2021 costume ideas, both with and without current boyfriend.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
SNL did a great sketch on that TZ episode, with Pamela Anderson in the role played by Donna Douglas.
"Shut up pig-face! She's hot!"
Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 PM

Nice vintage hair and dress, but she could have gone out like that any time. I don't see anything Halloweenish.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I figured that episode was the one, but I thought that to make it work she’d have to forego the makeup and surround herself with a gaggle of attendants wearing it.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Do you have any reason to think she doesn't?

I'd say the fact that she decorated her whole house TZ themed, and also tweeted out about watching the show, would indicate that she knows.
Sorry! I didn't realize she had TZ themed house decorations. The only reason I wondered is that most people of that generation have never seen an episode of The Twilight Zone.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Neither would I, and his name was Edson Stroll. He was also in Snow White and the Three Stooges.
Oh. MY.

<fans self>
Old 11-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry! I didn't realize she had TZ themed house decorations. The only reason I wondered is that most people of that generation have never seen an episode of The Twilight Zone.
Some cable channels (mostly SyFy) run Twilight Zone regularly, and show marathons on some holidays, and the theme is still recognizable. I don't know why you think most people of any generation have never seen the show.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Some cable channels (mostly SyFy) run Twilight Zone regularly, and show marathons on some holidays, and the theme is still recognizable. I don't know why you think most people of any generation have never seen the show.
I don't know how old she is, but the young to mid twenty-somethings in my office, while having heard of Twilight Zone and knowing what kind of show it is, haven't watched it. Heck, many of if not most of my contemporaries over the years weren't fans. The show is iconic, but is it as widely watched as that would imply?
Old 11-05-2019, 12:12 AM

There's a current revival that's reasonably popular, so I think more people might be looking into it.

From what I've heard Ariana Grande is a bit of an odd bird. I could see her watching old TZ the same way Michael Jackson was into that kind of thing.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Heck, I'm forty-something, and while I'm certainly aware of The Twilight Zone, I've seen very few episodes.

But then, in this era of streaming and media-on-demand, when anyone can find anything, it's no longer possible to make any assumptions at all about what "kids these days" will be into.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Heck, I'm forty-something, and while I'm certainly aware of The Twilight Zone, I've seen very few episodes.

But then, in this era of streaming and media-on-demand, when anyone can find anything, it's no longer possible to make any assumptions at all about what "kids these days" will be into.
That's true, of course, and it's always been quite possible to be interested in things that happened before you were born. I've always been a huge fan of the Universal horror films of the '30s and '40s, for example, even though I was born in 1967.

But I do know an awful lot of people of Ariana Grande's age, and even older, who absolutely will not watch anything that's black and white. Just refuse, and wonder why anyone would want to. Heck, I think there have been people on this very board who claim that they "just can't" watch black and white movies.

So while it's unfair to assume any particular young person might not be interested in The Twilight Zone, it's not a completely unreasonable thing to wonder about, either.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefton View Post
Damn. My opinion of Arianna Grande just went up.
I remember watching Victorious with the kids and thinking she had to be a brilliant actress to play a ditz so well. I was glad to see she was able to shake off the Disney work without making too much of a mess (lookin' at you Miley). She had a phenomenal voice even then, scary good.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
That's true, of course, and it's always been quite possible to be interested in things that happened before you were born. I've always been a huge fan of the Universal horror films of the '30s and '40s, for example, even though I was born in 1967.

But I do know an awful lot of people of Ariana Grande's age, and even older, who absolutely will not watch anything that's black and white. Just refuse, and wonder why anyone would want to. Heck, I think there have been people on this very board who claim that they "just can't" watch black and white movies.

So while it's unfair to assume any particular young person might not be interested in The Twilight Zone, it's not a completely unreasonable thing to wonder about, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I don't know how old she is, but the young to mid twenty-somethings in my office, while having heard of Twilight Zone and knowing what kind of show it is, haven't watched it. Heck, many of if not most of my contemporaries over the years weren't fans. The show is iconic, but is it as widely watched as that would imply?
Quote:

Thanks! I'm not sure why I'm being called out on assuming younger adults have not seen The Twilight Zone. I too have been told by more than one person younger than me that they would never watch anything in black & white. I've been asked, "how can you watch black & white movies?" Do you think many 20-somethings would know who or have ever watched Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, Boris Karloff in Frankenstein, Lon Chaney as the Werewolf? When I was a kid we only had 4 channels so we didn't have many options. I watched these old movies when they played them on the 3:30 afternoon movie. After school was when they'd show reruns of Father Knows Best and Ozzie & Harriet. There was nothing else on so we watched it.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth MrAtoz:

The difference is that you probably only ever got the chance to watch any of those when they happened to be on your local UHF station's Saturday afternoon fill-the-airwaves-with-a-cheap-movie special, and if the station happened to not have copies of a couple, you'd never get the chance to see those at all. Nowadays, though, if someone happens across a clip of Lon Cheney on YouTube, and says "Wow, that guy was great", they can binge his entire body of work with just a few clicks, if they want. Not everyone will, of course, but then, not everyone watched the Universal Studios monster movies back in the 40s, either.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I remember watching Victorious with the kids and thinking she had to be a brilliant actress to play a ditz so well. I was glad to see she was able to shake off the Disney work without making too much of a mess (lookin' at you Miley). She had a phenomenal voice even then, scary good.
Victorious is from Nickelodeon, so a better comparison would be someone like Amanda Bynes.

Nickelodeon, while similar to Disney, seems to allow more freedom, and thus it seems they usually have fewer problems.

Then again, Dan Sneider ran her show and was sexually inappropriate with her. Did Disney Channel have that problem?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
When I was a kid we only had 4 channels so we didn't have many options.... After school was when they'd show reruns of Father Knows Best and Ozzie & Harriet. There was nothing else on so we watched it.
When I was a kid we only had 3 channels, and we watched Father Knows Best and Ozzie & Harriet in their first runs. One night a week we rushed home to watch Twilight Zone. We didn't know about reruns, and thought it was our only chance to ever see it.

I pity people who won't watch black and white. Someday there'll be people who won't watch 2D. Or people who won't just watch.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

This.

My kid alone kicked off a Celtic music thing with her 7th-grade class by sharing YouTube videos, then a year later the 8th-grade went on a Sinatra revival (complete with record players and phonographs!)... and then, that same year, in my car the kids started singing along to Chicago's Hard to Say I'm Sorry, a song 32 years old at the time (the 10th most popular song of 1982, according to Billboard), the equivalent of me just belting out Kaye Keysers 1948 hit "On a Slow Boat to China" at the same age.

While it's a fair thing to say that the kids haven't watched every episode - there's only so much time in one's life, after all - you can be sure that many, many of them are aware enough of the Twilight Zone to recognize Ariana's costume.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I heard a story on the radio this morning that Victorious and Sam and Cat are now available on Netflix, and are among the top most-binged series. So your kids will see it again someday, somehow (and probably their kids too).