Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Rants Giving (November mini-rants)

You've heard of "suicide by cop", of course. Well, if you see, in the next few days, that someone got chucked out an open bathroom window in Beijing but there is not a scratch from the window screen on them, you might not lose if you bet that it was "suicide by Monty".

DO NOT LEAVE THE DAMN WINDOW SCREEN OPEN! I like animals as much, if not more, than the next person; however, flies tend to be drawn towards the crime scenes jokingly referred to as public loos here. A fly is a pest! And so are you if you happen to be the dumbass who leaves the fucking screen open.

Good grief.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:42 PM

Ooh, look who lives on the other side of the date line.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 PM

Got a text from the lady who adopted 'Trooper', the solid black cat I fostered for several weeks last year. I named him Trooper because he got me a ticket from a state trooper.
Well, he's missing. He had a screened porch to access through a cat flap. I'm very worried because it's Hallowe'en. She came home and he's no where to be found inside the house. She's now searching the neighborhood.
God, I hope no ignoramus got ahold of him. People do awful things to black cats on Hallowe'en.
He's such a sweet tiny thing. Full of purrs and bright green blinkie eyes.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 PM

I just wanted to post to the November thread a few hours early...

Well, it is freezing and we got dumped on with heavy snow, so hardly any Trick-Or-Treaters. And the ones we did get were bundled up: "Yeah, I'm Captain Marvel... under my dad's massive furry parka."

Beck, so sorry, keep us posted on Trooper. I hope it's something minor like "On All Hallow's Eve, he reverts to his true form of The Gris-Gris Warlock Marv Laveau until dawn."
Old 10-31-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
God, I hope no ignoramus got ahold of him. People do awful things to black cats on Hallowe'en.
Console yourself that this may be just an urban legend/.
From working with the humane society & a cat rescue operation here, our records do not show any actual increase in mistreatment of cats, black or any other color, around Halloween.

So he probably just managed to get outside. Probably still around there, just like any cat lost outdoors. But riskier if he's new to that neighborhood. (If it's close (within a few miles), he might actually come back to your house, as his 'home' -- keep a lookout just in case.

Last edited by Tim@T-Bonham.net; 10-31-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:33 PM

They are far away from me. So no chance he'll come here. I've emailed Troopers mom. No word back yet.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:51 AM

Ogoddammit computer, this is NOT a good time to start making "I'm dying" noises! I mean, it's never really a good time, of course, but fuck! Not now!
Old 11-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Trooper is found. Safe and secure at home. She was having a glass of wine in her kitchen, depressed cause he wasn't found in the neighborhood. She heard a faint sound, opened the back door and he was sitting there taking a bath. Strutted in like he never left.
She secured the cat flap til she figures out where he got out.
Yay!!!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-01-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:40 AM

Average first freeze here is November 22nd. We had our first freeze Halloween morning.

November just started and I'm already sick of winter.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 AM

Me too. We'll have a freeze tonight as well.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:56 AM

So glad Trooper came home. He sounds like my kitty Paris who died last year... solid black with bright blue-green eyes. He was the best I ever had, and he put up a brave fight against cancer. I miss him every day.

When I had adopted him, I had to wait until that November. The shelter would not release any black cats before Halloween.

And yes, every year I dread the coming of winter more and more. I think it's part of getting old.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:05 AM

And now we have fucking snow.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I have several plants in my office; one of them is one of those variety pots you can get from a florist (my mom sent it to me when I started working here). I've only had to repot it once, and everything had been thriving until last week. One of the little plants that looked like an umbrella tree branch -- I've never been able to properly identify it -- started drooping last week. It's done this before, and a nice cup of water always perked it up. That didn't quite work this time; although it did perk up again, it also dropped all but two of its leaves.

This morning, it dropped one of the remaining leaves. :'(
Old 11-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
And now we have fucking snow.
I'm going to try to start that as a tradition with my wife!
"Honey, it's snowing! Get those panties off!"
Old 11-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Also, it's currently 43įF outside, and the A/C is blasting. According to the thermometer I installed in here earlier this week, the office temperature is currently 69.5į and falling.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I have several plants in my office; one of them is one of those variety pots you can get from a florist (my mom sent it to me when I started working here). I've only had to repot it once, and everything had been thriving until last week. One of the little plants that looked like an umbrella tree branch -- I've never been able to properly identify it -- started drooping last week. It's done this before, and a nice cup of water always perked it up. That didn't quite work this time; although it did perk up again, it also dropped all but two of its leaves.

This morning, it dropped one of the remaining leaves. :'(
Hang an ornament on it and it's your Charlie Brown Christmas tree!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
I'm going to try to start that as a tradition with my wife!
"Honey, it's snowing! Get those panties off!"
Fucking snow is the best kind of snow.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

This morning an NPR reporter talked about "California wildfires fueled by Santa Ana winds". Sorry, winds don't fuel fires, they fan them.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

WFLB 96.5 ("Bob FM") in Fayetteville, North Carolina has started playing non-stop xmas music.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I had to ditch one of my Sirius XM stations for that reason. I'll check back with them next year.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:58 PM

The Halloween music is over, on our classical music station. The best was Franz Waxman's soundtrack for "Bride of Frankenstein." Really creepy!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
WFLB 96.5 ("Bob FM") in Fayetteville, North Carolina has started playing non-stop xmas music.
WSPA 98.9 out of Greenville SC just started, too. I found out when I switched over and heard Wham's "Last Christmas."

Lost the roulette seven weeks before Christmas. Good thing I like that song. If it had been "Feliz Navidad" I would have driven into the river.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:09 PM

December will be here before you know it.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Hang an ornament on it and it's your Charlie Brown Christmas tree!
If it lasts that long, I will...I have a few miniature red ones that would be perfect!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
December will be here before you know it.
And Monty will get to start the mini-rants!

(Hope he's thinking up good titles like this one)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
And Monty will get to start the mini-rants!

(Hope he's thinking up good titles like this one)

I'll try, but I don't think I can top my "June, I''m worried about the Peeve".
Old 11-01-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
The Halloween music is over, on our classical music station. The best was Franz Waxman's soundtrack for "Bride of Frankenstein." Really creepy!
I have been unable to find out how Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" has become so strongly associated with horror movies. Does anyone know?
Old 11-01-2019, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Note to self: 1) Wear your glasses. 2) Never trust anything made of plastic.

I stopped by the grocery store to get some shrimp for dinner. They had 4 varieties from which to choose. If I'd been wearing my glasses I'd have been able to tell that I one I picked wasn't so fresh (I trusted the place I stopped at because the quality of their stuff is usually good. I need to stop doing that and check for my damn self. This shit costs money and I should make sure I get what I am paying for).

When I got home I put one of those microwaveable packages of brown rice in the 'wave and then dumped it into a bowl to add some seasonings. I thought lemon pepper would be good. Except the jar I grabbed wasn't lemon pepper. It was a jar of cloves, which I'd absentmindedly put in the wrong place. And it doesn't have a shaker top so I dumped half a jar of cloves into the rice. Since there wasn't any way to save it, I pitched it and 'waved a new bag. You're supposed to tear open the top a couple inches to allow the bag to vent. Except it didn't want to tear, so I kept pulling harder until suddenly the bag ripped open and dumped about a quarter of the rice on the floor.

Glasses. Scissors. I need to use 'em.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I have been unable to find out how Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" has become so strongly associated with horror movies. Does anyone know?
It's on Disney's Fantasia soundtrack, if available. It's certainly the version I'm most familiar with.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansperson View Post
Note to self: 1) Wear your glasses. 2) Never trust anything made of plastic.

I stopped by the grocery store to get some shrimp for dinner. They had 4 varieties from which to choose. If I'd been wearing my glasses I'd have been able to tell that I one I picked wasn't so fresh (I trusted the place I stopped at because the quality of their stuff is usually good. I need to stop doing that and check for my damn self. This shit costs money and I should make sure I get what I am paying for).

When I got home I put one of those microwaveable packages of brown rice in the 'wave and then dumped it into a bowl to add some seasonings. I thought lemon pepper would be good. Except the jar I grabbed wasn't lemon pepper. It was a jar of cloves, which I'd absentmindedly put in the wrong place. And it doesn't have a shaker top so I dumped half a jar of cloves into the rice. Since there wasn't any way to save it, I pitched it and 'waved a new bag. You're supposed to tear open the top a couple inches to allow the bag to vent. Except it didn't want to tear, so I kept pulling harder until suddenly the bag ripped open and dumped about a quarter of the rice on the floor.

Glasses. Scissors. I need to use 'em.
Time to hit The Sonic. Corndogs, baby!!
Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Time to hit The Sonic. Corndogs, baby!!
Ha! Except there's no Sonic within miles of me and I hate corndogs. Regular hot dogs and corn on the cob sound pretty good though Ö
Old 11-01-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
It's on Disney's Fantasia soundtrack, if available. It's certainly the version I'm most familiar with.
I'm familiar with the piece, of course.

I'm just wondering how the linkage to horror movies came to be.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:

Crap! I was hoping no one would notice I didn't read/register past "find".

I suppose it's just a generally spooky sounding bit of music.

Last edited by galen ubal; 11-01-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 PM

No snow here yet but there were cars on the road today covered in it. They must have come from up north somewhere. It's coming! According to some almanac thingy, it's supposed to be a long cold winter with lots of snow and it's supposed to drag on into a late spring. My usual snowplowing service has hiked their rates and I'm trying to decide between getting gouged by them or going for a less reliable cheaper service. With my luck I'll still be thinking about it when the first major blizzard hits. That will probably be when the furnace quits, which has been making odd noises going on three years now.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:

It was used as the opening music to the 1931 Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, and was used a lot during the silent era. That probably started the association, then Fantasia, then it was also used in some versions of Phantom of the Opera.

Itís just a generally creepy sounding piece. I can remember as a child hearing it in the haunted house at our local amusement park.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
I moved to England in mid-October. The biggest supermarket in the area had several aisles dedicated to Halloween and half its housewares section already invaded by Christmas.

I've lived in places where the decorative streetlights were very generic and never got taken down, they'd just be lit or not depending on the date. That's making more and more sense every year.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I moved to England in mid-October. The biggest supermarket in the area had several aisles dedicated to Halloween and half its housewares section already invaded by Christmas.

I've lived in places where the decorative streetlights were very generic and never got taken down, they'd just be lit or not depending on the date. That's making more and more sense every year.
We were in Amsterdam and they had plenty of extra lighting. Makes a lot of sense for a place that's already got chilly weather and longer nights.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

The local news announced that the Biltmore Estate has erected their Christmas tree already: (warning - autoplay video!) That's all fine and dandy, but the segment goes on to mention that this whole display will be torn down and replaced before Christmas.

:|

That's kinda sad, and -- speaking as someone who absolutely HATES putting lights on trees but doesn't trust other people to do it properly -- what a pain in the ass for the employees.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

n/m

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 11-02-2019 at 05:42 AM. Reason: double post??
Old 11-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
The local news announced that the Biltmore Estate has erected their Christmas tree already: (warning - autoplay video!) That's all fine and dandy, but the segment goes on to mention that this whole display will be torn down and replaced before Christmas.

:|

That's kinda sad, and -- speaking as someone who absolutely HATES putting lights on trees but doesn't trust other people to do it properly -- what a pain in the ass for the employees.
They actually replace the big tree a couple of times during the season. It gets dried out and dropping needles doesn't go with the "Biltmore mystique."

I found out about that when I was working in hospitality in Asheville. I was in that job for seven years. I hate Biltmore now. (Note: I did not work for Biltmore.)

Last edited by Catamount; 11-02-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Thatís an orchestral version. For drama, you canít beat it on organ, especially as performed by James Masonís Captain Nemo in 60K Miles At Periscope Depth.
Which, while not a horror movie per se, does have some horrifying squid tentacles.

Personally, I donít associate the Bach with horror movies as much as I do Carmina Burana.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
No snow here yet but there were cars on the road today covered in it. They must have come from up north somewhere. It's coming! According to some almanac thingy, it's supposed to be a long cold winter with lots of snow and it's supposed to drag on into a late spring. My usual snowplowing service has hiked their rates and I'm trying to decide between getting gouged by them or going for a less reliable cheaper service. With my luck I'll still be thinking about it when the first major blizzard hits. That will probably be when the furnace quits, which has been making odd noises going on three years now.
Our plow service, which has been very reliable for the three years since I decided I was too old to be shovelling snow from the driveway, decided that they would no longer plow down-sloping drives like mine without a waiver absolving them of responsibility if they damaged a retaining wall or slid into the garage door. I can see their point, but it's very annoying. (They will do the flat section at the road end and the plowdrift for half price.) I checked with other plow services and they flatly refuse to do any part of a sloping drive. At least the garage end of the drive generally has less snow for me to shovel.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Our plow service, which has been very reliable for the three years since I decided I was too old to be shovelling snow from the driveway, decided that they would no longer plow down-sloping drives like mine without a waiver absolving them of responsibility if they damaged a retaining wall or slid into the garage door. I can see their point, but it's very annoying. (They will do the flat section at the road end and the plowdrift for half price.) I checked with other plow services and they flatly refuse to do any part of a sloping drive. At least the garage end of the drive generally has less snow for me to shovel.
You might check with a street-sweeping company. Their equipment can handle most snowfalls. And they might be less concerned that i heir sweeper would damage retaining walls or garage doors. (Or look at buying a snow blower for the sloping part of the driveway.)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 PM

I don't think I've seen a non-sloping driveway in our city.

Maybe out in the 'burbs, where they bulldozed everything flat before building ticky-tacky housing developments...

ETA: I'd sign the waiver and assume the drivers have been plowing sloped driveways for years without any problems.

Last edited by digs; 11-03-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
I don't think I've seen a non-sloping driveway in our city.
"Down-sloping" - presumably they've gotten requests for repairs when their trucks slid into structures.
Quote:
ETA: I'd sign the waiver and assume the drivers have been plowing sloped driveways for years without any problems.
I'm guessing there is a lot of turnover in that job, and the odds of getting a driver with an particular experience are significantly less than 100%. On the other hand, most snowfalls probably don't represent much risk.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:20 AM

after shopping today I swear if it wasn't for black Friday and possibly thanksgiving the retail world would erase November from the existence of the world...

Hell, most of em here started in October .....
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, it's currently 43įF outside, and the A/C is blasting. According to the thermometer I installed in here earlier this week, the office temperature is currently 69.5į and falling.
We went to Red Robin on Sat for supper and I swear, they had the a/c on plus the ceiling fans were spinning away! And, similarly, it was in the 40s outside. Fortunately, I was wearing a sweatshirt. BRRRRR!!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Personally, I donít associate the Bach with horror movies as much as I do Carmina Burana.
One theme I've experienced to good effect in multiple horror-theme movies is from the "Witches Sabbath" movement of Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique".

From the opening credits of "The Shining".
Old 11-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
One theme I've experienced to good effect in multiple horror-theme movies is from the "Witches Sabbath" movement of Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique".

From the opening credits of "The Shining".
I've always liked the way the opening credits were done in The Shining, but I never gave any thought to what the music was. I assumed it was composed specifically for the movie. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Got a text from the lady who adopted 'Trooper', the solid black cat I fostered for several weeks last year. I named him Trooper because he got me a ticket from a state trooper.
Well, he's missing. He had a screened porch to access through a cat flap. I'm very worried because it's Hallowe'en. She came home and he's no where to be found inside the house. She's now searching the neighborhood.
Gosh, Beck, you nailed the description of my little black cat "Punkin." She's the nicest cat I ever had. We don't let her out; much safer indoors with her "big brother" the large gray tomcat who looks like Tom (of & Jerry).

We call her Punkin because she came to live with us close to Halloween 7 years ago. Wasn't deliberate, we had adopted her for my MIL but it didn't work out so we took her into our house for a trial that soon turned permanent. (She had to get along with the other critters, which she did in great style.)

Glad to hear Trooper made it home safe.

Here's a Punkin story: She likes to curl up in a flat circular shape next to our black roomba. It has a flashing green light; she opens and closes her eyes and LOOKS JUST LIKE THE ROOMBA. I think she does it on purpose...

Last edited by Limmin; 11-04-2019 at 02:11 PM.