Old 11-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

The new 'Thin the herd' Democratic primary thread

I’m starting a new thread because things are starting to get a bit more serious now.

Breaking news says that Beto is ending his campaign today. I assume it’s because October fundraising came in too low to continue on. It’s a really odd day to do so, however since it’s the Liberty and Justice dinner tonight, a huge Democratic event in Iowa. The announcement came when Pete Buttigieg and probably other candidates were giving warm up speeches in front of their crowds of supporters in Des Moines.

I expect we will see a few more campaigns fold. You’ve got to front load your Q4 fundraising in October since
November and December get crowded out by holidays as well as charitable tax deductible contributions.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

There are only five candidates (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, and Harris) who are clearly drawing more support than Beto, and another two (Yang, Klobuchar) who are at about the same place in the polling averages as Beto is, or rather was.

Everyone else should follow his example and GTFO of this race.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
There are only five candidates (Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, and Harris) who are clearly drawing more support than Beto, and another two (Yang, Klobuchar) who are at about the same place in the polling averages as Beto is, or rather was.

Everyone else should follow his example and GTFO of this race.
I agree. I think the ideal scenario would be for about seven to go to Iowa, and the ones you name sound good. From there I think the ideal scenario would be for one or two to drop our after Iowa and NH, then another two after Nevada and SC. I think four candidates going into Super Tuesday would be ideal. Hopefully Bernie is not one of them.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:59 PM

Just FYI, Harris shuttered her NH offices today. She's abandoning the state in favor of going all-in in Iowa.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Just FYI, Harris shuttered her NH offices today. She's abandoning the state in favor of going all-in in Iowa.
And she's cutting staff at her HQ in Baltimore.

Definitely a desperation play. Kinda wondering if she'll even make it to Iowa, if her Q4 fundraising sucks.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

It's official: Beto is out.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

I imagine Beto realized he probably couldn’t make payroll, assuming he pays his staff on the 1st and 15th. He probably paid them today and decided to end it rather than the embarrassment of not being able to pay them next pay cycle.

Closing New Hampshire offices to go all in on Iowa is a desperation sign from Harris. She may be out by Thanksgiving. Unlike Beto, she started off strong and it just didn’t work.

If Harris and Beto get out, that gives the DNC a lot muscle to kick out the rest of the fringe candidates. The Yang Gang will scream on Twitter, but they’re a cult, not Democrats.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
And meanwhile she's managed to claw her way down to being in a tie for 6th place in Iowa. At this point I'm guessing she'll probably drop out before the Iowa caucuses, rather than enduring the embarrassment of running out of money and finishing in the low single digits.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:45 PM

At this point, if you can't raise money, you either drop out or run a campaign because you want to live off of other people's cash and travel around the country just talking shit for the next 6-12 months.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Let's not go too far overboard. At this point in the 2008 campaign, John McCain was so broke he had to cut staff, park his plane, and fill up his Straight Talk Express bus on credit cards.

Having pointed that out, I'll predict that unless Klobuchar gets at least 15% in Iowa, she'll drop out.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:52 PM

I’d be happy with a final four of Biden, Buttigieg, Sanders, and Warren.

I’ve been a Warren supporter, but lately I’m starting to lose faith that her proposals would be palatable to the electorate.

Buttigieg struggles with trying to leap from mayor of a town he has only done a middling job running, but damn If I don’t keep coming back to him as the most polished and impressive leader. Dude just has presence.

Last edited by Moriarty; 11-01-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Let's not go too far overboard. At this point in the 2008 campaign, John McCain was so broke he had to cut staff, park his plane, and fill up his Straight Talk Express bus on credit cards.

Having pointed that out, I'll predict that unless Klobuchar gets at least 15% in Iowa, she'll drop out.
True, but McCain still had almost 100% name recognition and had run a strong campaign against Bush in 2000. Until McCain got too ill, I don’t think there was a Sunday which didn’t have McCain on one of the Sunday news shows from 1988 onward.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I’d be happy with a final four of Biden, Buttigieg, Sanders, and Warren.
Three old farts and a toddler. Yay.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
...I’ve been a Warren supporter, but lately I’m starting to lose faith that her proposals would be palatable to the electorate.
Unless the Dems keep the House and retake the Senate, none of the (I hope) Democratic President's proposals will count for shit. McConnell will block everything as the Hamster Wheel of Fortune begins its inexorable rotation.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:18 AM

What’s Booker up to? I could see him hang on, despite low polling and fundraising numbers. My dream is that Sanders drops out now and that somehow boosts Booker. Not that I’d necessarily want Booker to be the final candidate (though that wouldn’t be bad), but I do want the public to give him another look.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:54 AM

(Partly a propos if my question about Booker, a nice little NY Times article from a few days ago, about how candidates of color aren’t in the top tier now.)
Old 11-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Huh.

All apologies if this is a hijack, but since the thread just mentioned McCain and a guy dropping out, I wonder: say Biden eventually drops out, and it’s Trump against Warren; can we expect to hear a lot of ‘reluctant’ Trump voters say, “y’know, I could’ve voted for Joe Biden: Trump isn’t perfect, I’m no Trump supporter; but Warren would be worse for the country. Biden, though? I really could’ve gotten behind Biden.”

(I’m not asking if they’ll mean it; I’m asking if they’ll say it, a lot.)
Old 11-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Huh.

All apologies if this is a hijack, but since the thread just mentioned McCain and a guy dropping out, I wonder: say Biden eventually drops out, and it’s Trump against Warren; can we expect to hear a lot of ‘reluctant’ Trump voters say, “y’know, I could’ve voted for Joe Biden: Trump isn’t perfect, I’m no Trump supporter; but Warren would be worse for the country. Biden, though? I really could’ve gotten behind Biden.”

I can definitely see that happening.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
What’s Booker up to? I could see him hang on, despite low polling and fundraising numbers. My dream is that Sanders drops out now and that somehow boosts Booker. Not that I’d necessarily want Booker to be the final candidate (though that wouldn’t be bad), but I do want the public to give him another look.
That would be odd. Bernie Bros don’t like Booker in particular, they claim he’s too Wall Street and is bad on pharma.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM

It's looking like the final four might consist of Biden, Sanders, Warren, and Buttigieg. Harris and Booker are long-shot candidates at this point, as is Klobuchar.

Of all the 'possibles' remaining, I'd like to see Klobuchar gain some traction, but I think people are addicted to personality and 'memery' in this God forsaken land.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Huh.

Yes. Because Biden is a somewhat reasonable and sort of creepy alternative to Trump. Warren and Sanders are nuts.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Huh.

If you're a moderate democrat, you'd be put in the position of voting for serious policy changes that go well beyond your range of comfort if it's a choice between Trump and Warren/Sanders. Thus, the question in the minds of these voters isn't as simple as a lesser of two evils. If you really believe she might take away your health insurance that you think you like (whether it's actually worth a flip when it matters most is moot), then you have a reason not to participate in the election. Moreover, if you're earning six figures and fear getting hit with higher income taxes, then you have another reason not to participate. You have reason to share your dissatisfaction across social media and the like. And that's the danger here. Not that people who despise Trump would actually be convinced to vote for him in spite of their dislike toward him; it's the possibility that moderate dems and independents sit this one out.

I personally think that, if it came down to it, Warren would ultimately be a pragmatist and cobble up a better version of Obamacare (I'm less certain that Sanders is that pragmatic), but she isn't going to campaign as a compromiser and that's something that's going to be deeply seared into the consciousness of wishy-washy moderate voters.

Last edited by asahi; 11-02-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Hell No!, francis, you *WON'T* be President!

Good, this opens up the dem race for less delusional candidates.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Democrats are about to blow this election.

Biden is too old and aging fast (but has the best platform by far), Warren has whacky stupid plans and is the uber lying politician not named Trump, and Sanders is unelectable.

In the old days of smoke filled backrooms Dems would put up a Michael Bennet or Amy K in for the win.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Ralph Wiggum/Inanimate Carbon Rod 2020
Pick a Winner!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
If you're a moderate democrat, you'd be put in the position of voting for serious policy changes that go well beyond your range of comfort if it's a choice between Trump and Warren/Sanders...
I'm a libertarian-turned-moderate-democrat, and I wouldn't hesitate to vote for Warren, Sanders, or ANY of the Dems over Trump. Got a medicare plan that needs work? Gee, that might be better than handing state secrets to our enemies.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Even if the choice were between a much more moderate GOP candidate like Jeb Bush versus a Sanders or Warren, I'd have to think a second about who to vote for -- if the Democrats also stood to gain full control of Congress and could pass anything they wanted.

So since neither party can push through their most extreme legislation, but the GOP stands to widen their control of the courts with a win, even with a fairy-tale non-existent moderate, I'd vote for literally any democrat in the upcoming election. Even if Warren or Sanders were as bad as they're claimed to be, they won't pass their radical plans.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:13 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITR champion View Post
And meanwhile she's managed to claw her way down to being in a tie for 6th place in Iowa. At this point I'm guessing she'll probably drop out before the Iowa caucuses, rather than enduring the embarrassment of running out of money and finishing in the low single digits.
Jesus, Biden is in 4th place according to that.

Warren - 22%
Sanders - 19%
Buttigeig - 18%
Biden - 17%
Old 11-02-2019, 11:15 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden Arden View Post
Democrats are about to blow this election.

Biden is too old and aging fast (but has the best platform by far), Warren has whacky stupid plans and is the uber lying politician not named Trump, and Sanders is unelectable.

In the old days of smoke filled backrooms Dems would put up a Michael Bennet or Amy K in for the win.
Aren't you a conservative? I don't agree with any of this.

How is Bidens platform the best? Why are Warrens plans stupid and why is Sanders unelectable? And why are smoke filled backrooms better than primaries?

Liberals make up 25% of all voters, and about 50% of democratic voters. They probably make up a slight majority of democratic primary voters. They aren't a fringe group by any means.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 11-02-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Aren't you a conservative? I don't agree with any of this.

How is Bidens platform the best? Why are Warrens plans stupid and why is Sanders unelectable? And why are smoke filled backrooms better than primaries?

Liberals make up 25% of all voters, and about 50% of democratic voters. They probably make up a slight majority of democratic primary voters. They aren't a fringe group by any means.
I am an old-fashioned free trade liberal that thinks Obama was the best president of my lifetime.

LIBERAL again - not a progressive.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:28 AM

What happened to Booker? I feel like he was talked about a lot as a candidate immediately after Hilary lost. But he never seemed to gain any traction. No ones even talking about him doing poorly. He's just... there.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
What happened to Booker? I feel like he was talked about a lot as a candidate immediately after Hilary lost. But he never seemed to gain any traction. No ones even talking about him doing poorly. He's just... there.
And likely not for long ...
Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
And likely not for long ...
To quote John Mulaney - "It won't even be on the news, or it will be but real quick, just like 'Cory Booker quit today, obviously.'"
Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Booker's just one of those new and young faces who comes along in DC impressing enough of the right people inside the system who declare he could be one to watch for in the future. The average voter however has yet to get to know him. Every cycle has a few candidates who overestimate their popularity.

Last edited by Boycott; 11-04-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:59 AM

So which candidate(s) pick up the Beto supporters and whom does Beto endorse?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba Fred View Post
What Beto supporters? That's why he quit.

More seriously, I don't think he had enough supporters to poll on second choices, but they usually mirror the first choices pretty closely, so they'd mostly go to Biden, Warren, and Sanders.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 11-05-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Buttigieg is the obvious choice but Beto voters may resent him for stealing Beto's oxygen. My theory on Buttigieg remains that this campaign is primarily focused on building a brand, not going full-out for the job right now. If he flukes into the nomination he'll take it, but he won't do anything to jeopardize a future run.

As for the rest: Harris's inability to keep her momentum going is not a good sign; I thought she was going to be a contender but she's currently floundering. I suppose she could still catch a break, though. I'd like to see Klobuchar hang in there at least long enough to gain some more exposure, if only to give her another chance to make her case without the background noise of two dozen opponents. I've found Booker to be a bit of a damp squib thus far, to be honest. And I'm genuinely surprised Yang is still in the running.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
<snip> And I'm genuinely surprised Yang is still in the running.
So is everyone else. Including Yang.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
So is everyone else. Including Yang.
Nope. Yang has said he's not surprised in every interview I've seen, including this recent one with his wife, Evelyn.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Castro is circling the drain as well, laying off NH and SC staff.
I assume October fundraising didn’t come in looking very promising and November and December are going to be worse.
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...arolina-065797

Doesn’t look like he’ll make the next debate
Old 11-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Nope. Yang has said he's not surprised in every interview I've seen, including this recent one with his wife, Evelyn.
I don’t think Yang is stupid: he knows he’s got a cult and that’s it. But, it worked for Ron Paul. I don’t see Yang hawking gold on infomercials, but he will find a way to turn his ‘campaign’ into $$$
Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hard question because it’s hard to identify who is a Beto supporter. Twitter isn’t the real world but yesterday there were a lot of ‘former Beto supporters’ viciously trolling Pete. I’m not sure they were actual Beto supporters though. The intensity of their attacks, similar posts, and coordination leads me to believe that they’re actually supporters of another candidate, just wanted an ‘innocent’ way to attack Pete. I didn’t bother going through their timelines, I just blocked and moved on.

Obviously, his October fundraising fell off a cliff now that the El Paso shooting is in the past and his increasingly bizarre behavior wore thin. The number one domestic issue in this primary is health care and not guns. Any Democrat that wins the nomination is going to be called a gun grabber anyway.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Of course he says that in public. Can you imagine if he said something like "honestly, we're just as surprised as you all are. I didn't think we'd make it this far?"
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Any Democrat that wins the nomination is going to be called a gun grabber anyway.
That's why I figure there's nothing to lose from advocating banning assault weapons altogether. What are they going to say - "the Dems are gun-grabbers, and we really mean it this time!" ?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Buttigieg struggles with trying to leap from mayor of a town he has only done a middling job running, but damn If I don’t keep coming back to him as the most polished and impressive leader. Dude just has presence.
Yep. As long as you have "it" basic technical competence is more than enough. And Pete has "it". The rest? Fantastic in various offices of an administration, but The Oval is no place for a one trick pony. That job requires the ability to direct the ponies while selling tickets to the show.

And really, who doesn't want to see a "debate" between Pete & Donald?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 11-05-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Given that Beto was polling at about 2% which is smaller than the MOE of most polls, whatever bump any other candidates get from Beto dropping out would likely be indistinguishable from (a) other poll movements, and (b) statistical noise.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
And really, who doesn't want to see a "debate" between Pete & Donald?
To see which one has the better bullshit? Lordy.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
To see which one has the better bullshit? Lordy.
Dude, you slay me!
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

There may be some voters for whom vaguely-defined "presence" is enough, and Buttigieg might well win a sizeable fraction of those voters. But I'm not one of them. To me, experience matters, and Buttigieg has none worth mentioning.

Wait a few years, let him win office as a governor or a senator, or at least as a representative, and I'll take another look at him. And don't tell me that he can't win those offices: If he doesn't have enough of "it", whatever "it" is, to win a House seat, then he certainly doesn't have enough of "it" to run for President.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Hard question because it’s hard to identify who is a Beto supporter. Twitter isn’t the real world but yesterday there were a lot of ‘former Beto supporters’ viciously trolling Pete. I’m not sure they were actual Beto supporters though. The intensity of their attacks, similar posts, and coordination leads me to believe that they’re actually supporters of another candidate, just wanted an ‘innocent’ way to attack Pete. I didn’t bother going through their timelines, I just blocked and moved on.
They may be trolls but based on the Beto supporters I know they could be genuine. They've been absolutely vicious about Pete all along ("NO ONE IS GOING TO VOTE FOR A GAY MAYOR!!!") and it does seem to stem from the fact that Pete has drawn a sizable portion of the people looking for a young populist outsider candidate, which was Beto's base. They blame him (and the media) specifically for the failure of Beto's campaign.