Old 11-04-2019, 08:23 PM

Moving to Wisconsin...tips?

Friends of ours, a hetero couple in their 30s, are moving from Vancouver, BC to Milwaukee for her work. Sheís American, heís Canadian, he has work with a US firm he can do anywhere. Any tips, warnings, helpful hints for them?
Old 11-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I hope you like cheese curds. And beer.

Last edited by Musicat; 11-04-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

And it's political system is broken beyond repair.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Cheese curds, beer, Friday fish fries, Culverís , thermal underwear , snow boots, heated seats in your car, Green Bay Packers, College Basket ball, for the winter. Summer, bug spray, sun screen, brats, Summerfest, (thatís in Milwaukee) Brewers, bicycles, hiking, camping.

We moved back here after 26 years gone. Live in a small town, New Glarus, about 90minutes or so from Milwaukee. Home of The Spotted Cow beer.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Cheese curds, beer, Friday fish fries, Culver’s , thermal underwear , snow boots, heated seats in your car, Green Bay Packers, College Basket ball, for the winter. Summer, bug spray, sun screen, brats, Summerfest, (that’s in Milwaukee) Brewers, bicycles, hiking, camping.

We moved back here after 26 years gone. Live in a small town, New Glarus, about 90minutes or so from Milwaukee. Home of The Spotted Cow beer.

Cheese curds, BEER, Friday fish fries, BEER Culver’s , BEER , thermal underwear, BEER, snow boots, BEER , heated seats in your car, BEER , Green Bay Packers, BEER , College Basket ball, BEER , bug spray, BEER ,sun screen, BEER , brats, BEER , Summerfest, BEER, Brewers, BEER , bicycles, BEER , hiking, BEER , camping, BEER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

If you're a drinker, brandy is also very VERY important in WI.

Cost of living will be super low compared to Vancouver. I just spent 10 days in Vancouver and it cost me what would sustain me in WI for about 6 months or more.

Lakeshore property along Lake Michigan is selling cheap now due to high water levels. A great time to get a bargain!

State or county fairs, pig roasts, sweet corn in season. String cheese. The Wisconsin Dells for water parks, other attractions.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:51 AM

I used to do a lot of work in Milw. Always liked the place. Impressed me as a small big city. Plenty of the advantages of a big city, w/o some of the more extreme hassles.

While traffic (mostly) is not horrendous, I recommend that they carefully plot where they want to live. For example, the airport is just south of town, so if he is going to be travelling a lot for work, that would be a plus. But if she is working on the far N or W sides and commuting normal hours, that might force her into the worst traffic Milw offers. Just obvious stuff.

I know nothing about the Vancouver market, but RE in and around Milw is WAY cheaper than the Chicago area, w/ far shorter commutes.

A LOT of Milwaukeeans have weekend places away from the city. If that is the sort of thing that appeals to them, they might wish to economize on their main residence, to free up funds.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinsdale View Post
A LOT of Milwaukeeans...
Is it Milwaukeeans or Milwaukeeites?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

It's Maw-waukeeans, aina?

Regards,
Shodan, Recovering Cheesehead
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM

If I recall correctly, they have festivals at the waterfront every weekend during the warmer months. So there is always something to do.

Oh, and BEER.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
M'waukeeans.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cheese curds, beer, Friday fish fries, Culverís ,
You spelled Kopps wrong.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Fucking cheeseheads?
Old 11-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cheese curds, beer, Friday fish fries, Culverís , thermal underwear , snow boots, heated seats in your car, Green Bay Packers, College Basket ball, for the winter. Summer, bug spray, sun screen, brats, Summerfest, (thatís in Milwaukee) Brewers, bicycles, hiking, camping.

And don't forget to plug in your car on those cold winter nights.

Practice your nasal long "o" (as in 'no') pronunciation. Practice saying it so the sound resonates in your head cavity. Short o is not the same. That gets flattened to almost a short 'a' sound, like in 'hat'. So Wisconsin becomes Wiscaaansin. Sorta. Takes practice.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:50 AM

The most wonderful aged cheddar I've ever had. Great sausage too. I personally love rural Wisconsin and feel very at home there (my whole maternal line are German and Swiss immigrants who settled near Fond du Lac). You don't need people to tell you it's cold in winter.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Spent the first 25 years of my life there and graduated from UWMilwaukee. I don't live there anymore but plenty of family and friends do so I'm there often.
Plenty of stuff to do during the summer months (Summerfest, Zoo, State Fair, lakefront festivals, ete.) but the winter is going to be a lot of bars and restaurants for your entertainment.
You can also road trip to other places in short order. You can get to downtown Chicago inside of two hours. Madison is an hour away. There's a Six Flags 45 minutes south, Wisconsin Dells 1:45 away.
Sports is limited to the Bucks and the Brewers who both have nice places to play but the Packers are a couple hours north.
Also, it's one of THE most segregated cities in the United States. Something you never realize until you venture out into the world later in life.
Kopp's and Leon's are the bomb! Catholic church lenten fish frys are the bomb!

And water fountains are the things with statues found in parks. The things you drink from are bubblers.

-survivor of the 93' cryptosporidiosis outbreak
Old 11-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Fucking cheeseheads?
Works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
And water fountains are the things with statues found in parks. The things you drink from are bubblers.

-survivor of the 93' cryptosporidiosis outbreak
Could be because you drink from bubblers.

A genuinely beautiful state. I may make fun of fucking cheeseheads but I have to love a place where I can go to a beach or lake, look around, and exclaim, "I'm with my people!" Because , um, beef's cheap.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:42 PM

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
The most wonderful aged cheddar I've ever had. Great sausage too.
I'm actually surprised at the relative paucity of posts praising Wisconsin sausages. I mean, you got all your various Wisconsin bratwursts, but you've also got summer sausage, knackwurst, bockwurst, liverwurst, Polish sausages (both fresh and smoked), great frankfurters, Thuringers, landjaegers, etc. To me, Wisconsin is the land of beer, sausage, and cheese which, frankly, is my idea of Eden.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:05 PM

I grew up in M'waukee, Wisgaaansin. Watched it grow up from a place with "nuthin' ta do so gonna git drunk" to a cultural, quirky, fun town.

For instance, the Historic Third Ward was block after block of deserted warehouses in the late 50s. Now it's a vibrant mix of shops, cafes, an art school, the Public Market, and fun watering holes (the back bar at CAMP is the best place to watch sports).

Oh, speaking of sports, teach that Canuck to enjoy American ones. The Bucks and the Badgers are playing great basketball, the Packers are fun to root for, and it's a blast to go to Brewers games. Last time we did that we ate a huge multi-ethnic brunch at Story Hill then walked across a beautiful park to the stadium....ahhh...

And Story Hill barely beats out Blue Egg and Toast and Lake Park Bistro*... Lots of great breakfasts in Milwaukee. *Any place run by the Bartolottas is wonderful.

And I haven't even started on the music scene, the symphony, theater, or "The Calatrava" (gorgeous art museum on the lake)...
Old 11-05-2019, 04:14 PM

My wife grew up in Milwaukee, and I've visited there several times. I like Dinsdale's "small big city" description. I always found it an interesting city with lots of little places to go and some great cultural attractions. The art museum is very good.

If you don't drink beer, you can have Sprecher's root Beer, which is also quite nice.

Madison, a fairly short drive away, is also beautiful and a really interesting college town.

And for a pretty big city, Chicago is not far away either. If I wasn't bound to St. Louis for family reasons, I'd be happy to live in Milwaukee.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
That's Superior. Lake Michigan, on which western shore Milwaukee resides, steams like a young man's dreams.

But it will try to kill you too.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

If you are a Tolkien fan, Marquette University has a bunch of original manuscripts and notes -- including a time track with moon phases where where each group was aftet the split up -- written on the back of a Oxford menu card.
I live across the river, but I am from Wisconsin and work there and most of my TV stations. Unfortunately I'm not all that familiar with the Milwaukee area.
Speaking of TV, keep in mind that Wisconsin is a battleground state in 2020 and will recieve heavy advertising from candidates, parties, and inteerst groups. DVR and/or keep you finger on the mute button.

Brian
Old 11-05-2019, 05:08 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Kettle Moraine State Park, North and South unit have wonderful hiking trails along the drumlins, kames, eskers, kettles, and terminal moraines. Nice sandy beaches exist in state parks like Kohler Andrae and Harrington. You can see both the Circus Museum and whooping cranes out by Baraboo. Tour Frank Lloyd Wright's studio and school, and also his home (Taliesin) in Spring Green. Get cognitive dissonance out by the House on the Rock dere, too. En so?

See such fine noted academic academies as UCLA (University of Cudahy onna Lake, Aina-hey?)

And wherever you go in Wisconsin, pause a moment to take a deep breath and smell our dairy air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
If you are a Tolkien fan, Marquette University has a bunch of original manuscripts and notes -- including a time track with moon phases where where each group was aftet the split up -- written on the back of a Oxford menu card.

Brian
Yeah, their collection is AMAZING. I remember seeing one exhibit; a single page displayed there, blank save for the words "The Magic Ring" written in JRRT's spidery hand, then crossed out. Below it, in the same handwriting was written "The Lord of the Rings". <<frisson>>

Last edited by Qadgop the Mercotan; 11-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
But it's important to know that Lake Ontario doesn't take anything in from Lake Erie. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
But it's important to know that Lake Ontario doesn't take anything in from Lake Erie. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Clarify? Where do you think most of Lake Ontario's water comes from, if not Lake Erie?
Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 PM

I get there seems to be lots of beer, but is it good beer? Or just tons of ďthe beer that made Bill Famey walk us?Ē Itís a pitcher joke, try to keep up!

They are both huge US sports fans, so thatís a plus. As long as thereís beer. Is bbq a thing? Donít want to start a feud here, just asking for a friend.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM

I do know of one good BBQ place downtown (name?*), right around the corner from a wonderful Belgian Ale House (Benelux) and a fun brew pub (Angry Hop).

Damn, I need to visit my mom and take her out to dinner (she still lives in MKE... think she'll suspect my ulterior motives?).

*Ahhh, found it. Smoke Shack.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
and a fun brew pub (Angry Hop).
Wicked Hop?
Old 11-05-2019, 07:40 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
I get there seems to be lots of beer, but is it good beer? Or just tons of ďthe beer that made Bill Famey walk us?Ē Itís a pitcher joke, try to keep up!
You mean Mel Famey.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM

The Milwaukee Brewers play in a pretty nice stadium.

Just make sure you remember where you parked your car, otherwise you could roam the lot for hours.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I've seen cheese curds mentioned a few times now, for those that don't know, cheese curds aren't those breaded deep fried pieces of cheese as everyone else seems to think of them. Cheese curds look like this. They have a very light airy texture and when they're fresh and/or room temp, they squeak when you bite them. It's similar to what you'd imagine a styrofoam packing peanut would feel and sound like if you chewed it.
They are good though.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Clarify? Where do you think most of Lake Ontario's water comes from, if not Lake Erie?
My bad. That's what I get for listening to my wife, who's actually from freaking Buffalo and should know better!
Old 11-06-2019, 02:10 AM

Milwaukee area:
The Zoo
Whitnal Park, which is where Boerner Botanical Gardens is. It's in Hales Corner.
The excellent public museum

Outside of Milwaukee:
House on the Rock
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin
American Players Theater
The International Crane Foundation
Devil's Lake
The Circus World Museum
Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Milwaukee area:
The Zoo
Whitnal Park, which is where Boerner Botanical Gardens is. It's in Hales Corner.
The excellent public museum

Outside of Milwaukee:
House on the Rock
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin
American Players Theater
The International Crane Foundation
Devil's Lake
The Circus World Museum
And...it's possible (and easy, actually) to do House on the Rock and Taliesin East on the same day. In fact, you can easily do those two one weekend while if you go up to the The Dells. Then, while you're in the Dells (staying at Great Wolf or Kalahari, naturally), you can go to Noah's Ark and one of the 800 Go Kart Places*.

Taliesin is fun in an interesting/educational way. FLW spent a lot of time in the midwest and after a tour of Taliesin, you'll quickly be able to spot his work (or replicas) all over the place.

House on the rock, on the other hand, is fun like wandering around in your grandparent's basement on acid is fun. It's more of an experience than anything else.

*well, maybe not 800, but they do have a lot of them, Big Chief and Mt Olympus are probably the ones you should hit.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
You mean Mel Famey.
Damn - weird to encounter fans of the same horrible humor!

It was a couple of decades ago that I considered possibly accepting a job in Milw, but at the time I was astounded at the value of homes you could get in lakeside towns immediately N of - and a very short commute from - Milw. But, would likely be less attractive if you worked in West Allis or S of the city.

OTOH, I've thought that the area immediately S of Milw was kind of a sweet spot. If you could figure out a commute that kept you off of 94 in rush hour, you would have all the benefits of a quick commute into a small big city, as well as a pretty big city just about an hour to the south.

Same principle would exist placing yourself between Milw and Madison, or between Milw and "up north".
Old 11-06-2019, 10:09 AM

Fun fact: the South Side, or as it is known., da sout side, der hey, has its own accent.

After you've lived there a while, you'll understand "you must be from Cudahy."

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 11-06-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM

DON'T move during the winter. Just. Don't.

People will try to convince you that Lake Michigan is "just as good as" the ocean. Change the subject immediately.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 11-06-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
People will try to convince you that Lake Michigan is "just as good as" the ocean. Change the subject immediately.
Ah, but since you can't see across it, you can imagine you're at the ocean. As a kid, we used to drive an hour north and rent a cheap house on the sand dunes near Kohler/Andrae State Park. Only an hour away and it felt like a deserted stretch of Cape Cod (minus the salt).
Old 11-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you don't want to correct them by pointing out that Lake Michigan is actually BETTER, due to the lack of salt and critters that will kill you...

That's what you meant, right?
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM

A couple state parks have been mentioned, but really the whole state park/trail system is extensive and amazing if you enjoy the outdoors: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/findapark.html If your friends do, a 2020 annual park pass would make a nice gift.

Beer, you ask? Not just Miller: https://www.milwaukeemag.com/brewery...kee-breweries/
Old 11-06-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you don't want to correct them by pointing out that Lake Michigan is actually BETTER, due to the lack of salt and critters that will kill you...

That's what you meant, right?

No.

I'm not a "beach" person. I've known people who consider "the beach" a holy place, to which they must make many pilgrimages each year. To LIVE at the beach would be Nirvana.

Ugh. I hate the sand, the salt residue, the rude people, the sunburn, all of it.

BUT, the smell of the fresh salt air is intoxicating, and you can encounter that fragrance at quite a distance from actual ocean. Lake Michigan ain't got that.

I have chronic sinus problems, and when I get within "smelling distance" of the ocean, my head magically clears, and I delight is open, free breathing without decongestants, neo-synepherine, or any other chemical assistance.

Lake Michigan can't do that, either.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 11-06-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No.

I'm not a "beach" person. I've known people who consider "the beach" a holy place, to which they must make many pilgrimages each year. To LIVE at the beach would be Nirvana.

Ugh. I hate the sand, the salt residue, the rude people, the sunburn, all of it.

BUT, the smell of the fresh salt air is intoxicating, and you can encounter that fragrance at quite a distance from actual ocean. Lake Michigan ain't got that.

I have chronic sinus problems, and when I get within "smelling distance" of the ocean, my head magically clears, and I delight is open, free breathing without decongestants, neo-synepherine, or any other chemical assistance.

Lake Michigan can't do that, either.

~VOW
You can most certainly get within smelling distance of the lake. Smelling distance often extends out a mile or so from the shore. However, it's not salt air that you'll smell.

Either way, Milwaukee really isn't a beach place. Yes, we have beaches, but other than Bradford Beach, you'll really never see it unless you're specifically going to the beach. In most of Milwaukee, or at least the north half of it, you need to walk down about 200 feet to get to it, you don't see it from the road. And even with how packed the lakefront is in summer, it's still not really a beach community.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
DON'T move during the winter. Just. Don't.

~VOW
We moved in July..OMG.hot and humid. But I would take that over the snow and cold.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Friends of ours, a hetero couple in their 30s, are moving from Vancouver, BC to Milwaukee for her work. She’s American, he’s Canadian, he has work with a US firm he can do anywhere. Any tips, warnings, helpful hints for them?
Are they moving to the City of Milwaukee proper or just the Milwaukee area? There is a difference.

For instance, I wouldn’t live in West Allis east of 108th Street. And I wouldn’t live in about 80% of Milwaukee itself. And I’ve been here since ‘82 transplanted from West Bend. Fox Point and River Hills are ok.

There are events at State Fair Park every weekend of the year. Combined with the zillion other things there is always something to do here.

The state beer tax is tied to be the lowest in the nation. So staying in on a cold day and blowing ones brain cells out doesn’t cost a fortune.

Tell them to make sure they have a garage and a remote starter on their cars. We don’t have a spring or an autumn. Just pre-winter, winter, winter lite, then a short summer.

Did anyone mention that you can actually get a correctly made Old Fashioned Cocktail here?

Last edited by pkbites; 11-06-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM

The Land of Milk and Cheese is just a marketing spiel from the dairy industry. Wisconsin is more properly The Land of Brats and Beer. And there is plenty of good beer, not just the mega brewer stuff.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
You spelled Kopps wrong.
This. Go to Kopps, not Culver's (which is Madison based).
Old 11-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Culver's HQ is in Prairie du Sac (First restaurant was in nearby Sauk City)

Brian
Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 PM

Last time through we found MACS Macaroni & Cheese Shop. I think there are several locations. Pretty good for casual/fast.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
We moved in July..OMG.hot and humid. But I would take that over the snow and cold.

The moving van was late because of record cold--windchill of -65 degrees F. The driver made a previous stop in Green Bay, and his batteries froze.

When we FINALLY got our household goods, all the canned foods were frozen, the cans actually rocked. The pickle jars were frozen. They didn't break, but the juice squeezed past the lid, and there was sticky pickle juice over everything.

There was a layer of frost over the TV screen (stone age picture tube) and we had to wait at least 24 hours before plugging it in.

Wisconsin is one of the reasons I hate snow.

~VOW