Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I haven't been stopped for speeding in a long time. My tricks:
  • I naturally seem to drive just a shade over the speed limit on most roads.
Doing this alone, or on the case of driving in Texas and areas further west*, going actually below the limit and sticking to the right lane except for passing only as permitted by law, seems to be enough for me. Even without knowing where the speed traps are, and even driving cross country many times over many years because I just hate flying and Amtrak sucks, Iíve somehow never been pulled over or e-ticketed (if thatís even a thing) for speeding. And Iíve lived/driven in a wide variety of locales too.

Somehow, it seems that just driving reasonably, sticking with the flow of traffic up to maybe five miles an hour over the limit but no more (subject to local conditions: if everyone is going the speed limit and no more, than maybe thatís a clue five over could get you noticed), not zipping in and out of lanes like an idiot, and not just cruising in the left hand lane 'cuz Iím so special is enough for me. People who are chronically pulled over and cited for speeding, but insist theyíre not doing anything out of the ordinary, I really wonder about just how they define "ordinary".

*I mean, itís cool to have the option to go 85 for long stretches from Texas to San Diego, but damn does the mpg drop like crazy on my car going that speed. For speed limits anywhere above 70, Iím unlikely to even want to go the limit, much less appreciably beyond the limit.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
In Pennsylvania we have signs that make me wonder. "DRUNK DRIVING" with the red slash through it and under that "YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT".

To me it sounds like a challenge, and, honestly, most people can afford their first DUI.
Or not. If you're in the military and even sniff a DUI, you're through. Currently my idiot grandson (who has a wife and two children) is awaiting separation from the Coast Guard because of a DUI while on temporary duty near New Orleans. He's got a lawyer in the DUI case (maybe get it reduce to driving too fast for conditions); his commander doesn't care.

Past case overseas. Our best ammunition sergeant was drunk, knew it, crawled into the back seat of his car to sleep it off. MPs investigated the car. He got tossed from the service (12 years in). Drunk, in the car, had the keys, DUI. Didn't matter that he was in the back seat sleeping.

tldr: If in the armed forces, you can't afford a DUI.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post

Laser detectors are more useless than radar detectors. Most officers point the beam at a vehicles license plate. Even while your own car is being clocked there is a good chance your detector sitting on the dash or visor will remain silent as it can't see the beam from it's position.
A long time ago I had a BEL radar/laser detector that was fantastic at detecting laser. In fact, it detected laser just about everywhere. Hell, it even detected laser inside my closed garage. POS would probably detect laser if it was smashed to pieces and dumped in a deep abandoned well. Yeah, I got my money back and haven't bothered with a detector since then.

I've had two tickets in the past ten years. The first one was ten years ago, 65 in a 55 zone. $60 ticket. The second one was two months ago. 44 in a 30 zone. $60 ticket. Pleasantly surprised with the lack of inflation with tickets in my area.

As for the OP, take it to traffic court. You will either be entertained listening to other people using the dumbest arguments and reasoning to fight a ticket, or you'll be providing entertainment for others.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Except thatís not calibration. [...] Calibration and field testing are terms that people mistakenly use interchangibly.
You, sir, are preaching to the choir.

Iím an engineer; Iíve done more than my share of scientific instrument design. But telling this ADA that she had no clue about metrology ran counter to my goal of getting the fine and points reduced. She cut them down a lot.

If I had pushed, maybe I would have eventually gotten the ticket dismissed. But I was delighted to have the fine and points reduced so much for 20 minutes of minimal effort. And if I pressed the calibration angle, I risked paying the full fine. A bird in the hand, et cetera.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 PM

SPEED CHECKED BY RADAR
(signed) Sam Radar, Chief Constable

I can't verify this but I've been told that seeing a roadside radar unit here in California means that stretch of road is NOT patrolled by speedgun-wielding troopers. But I try to stay within 5 mph of the limit anyway.

This discussion is almost obsolete. Future vehicles will wirelessly communicate with the central traffic control system. Every illegal velocity, turn, or other move will be instantly reported and fined. Illicit brainwave hackers will promise to let us control the signals. Ha. And being nice to our AI overlords will be of no avail - they'll get us anyway.

Ubiquitous surveillance means we can't get away with ANYTHING.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

We seem to have exhausted the facts of the topic. The topic reminds me of a story, possibly apocryphal, of a woman who, after many complaints about speeding in her neighborhood took matters into her own hands. She dressed in a safety vest, attached a hair dryer to a brief case, and started pointing it at passing vehicles. In the story, it worked.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:24 PM

The town I live near parks one of the town's 2 police cars, empty, on the road near painted VASCAR lines. People slow down. When people begin ignoring the empty car, they put a cop in the car and catch speeders.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:31 PM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
Or not. If you're in the military and even sniff a DUI, you're through. Currently my idiot grandson (who has a wife and two children) is awaiting separation from the Coast Guard because of a DUI while on temporary duty near New Orleans. He's got a lawyer in the DUI case (maybe get it reduce to driving too fast for conditions); his commander doesn't care.

Past case overseas. Our best ammunition sergeant was drunk, knew it, crawled into the back seat of his car to sleep it off. MPs investigated the car. He got tossed from the service (12 years in). Drunk, in the car, had the keys, DUI. Didn't matter that he was in the back seat sleeping.

tldr: If in the armed forces, you can't afford a DUI.
Also, if your livelihood depends upon your CDL, your first DUI means you'll need to find a new livelihood. Truck drivers, bus drivers, etc.: no CDL = no job.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post

"Checked by Radar"

Col. Blake says to pay the ticket.
Quote:
Except all of those cases, like Honeycutt, were all at state levels.

I guess BJ didn't take Col. Blake's advice.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:16 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
We seem to have exhausted the facts of the topic. The topic reminds me of a story, possibly apocryphal, of a woman who, after many complaints about speeding in her neighborhood took matters into her own hands. She dressed in a safety vest, attached a hair dryer to a brief case, and started pointing it at passing vehicles. In the story, it worked.
This is not apocryphal at all since it happened recently and I saw it. Someone put up a sign that said ďspeed camera ahead.Ē Speed cameras are not legal in my state. Itís on his property, is not a proper DOT sign and itís not causing a hazard. Covered by the 1st amendment. I hope it causes people to drive safer by his house.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Legal???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Fighting a Radar Ticket

I would like to remind you that, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." If, like me, you believe that most posted speed limits are bullshit and want to consistently travel faster, getting a quality radar detector can save your hide on a consistent basis.

Better yet, get an anti-radar detector. Mine can disrupt radar long enough for me to slow down but not so long that the police can detect that their radar is being interfered with. That is actually an FCC violation and a federal offense, so you don't want an actual scrambler.
Are those things legal? Most countries in Europe bust you you just for possession. By "most countries" I mean that I don't know one that doesn't.

And what about laser equipment? No warning there.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Need for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL v2.0 View Post
*I mean, itís cool to have the option to go 85 for long stretches from Texas to San Diego, but damn does the mpg drop like crazy on my car going that speed. For speed limits anywhere above 70, Iím unlikely to even want to go the limit, much less appreciably beyond the limit.
Experience from Germany, the only country in Europe that has some Autobahn sections with no speed limit (but the majority restricted is restricted to 120 or 130 kph, 75/81 mph).I find 140 kph / 87 mph is the sweet spot on a relatively clear road for going somewhere fast without using too much fuel and without needing intense concentration. Doing 100 mph is nice for the journey times, but uses more fuel, and requires extra concentration when approaching a slower vehicle. More than 100 mph? Only if the road is clear, things happen fast.

I you want to save fuel, drop back to 70 mph, which is the UK limit - and strictly enforced on many motorways. The result tends to be one lane of trucks at 60 mph and two lines of 70 mph, so you can't overtake. (More than three lanes is very rate in the UK.)
Old 11-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In Pennsylvania we have signs that make me wonder. "DRUNK DRIVING" with the red slash through it and under that "YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT".

To me it sounds like a challenge, and, honestly, most people can afford their first DUI.
Been driving for nearly 30 years (and boy am I tired... ; ) ) and have *NEVER* had a DUI, and I never will, just not worth the risk.

On the rare occasion I do have a drink, it's at home, and so late in the evening that I *KNOW* i'm not going to be going out anyway, I have *simulated* OUI in my racing games (Gran Turismo/Forza series) and have scientifically determined that I get impaired at around 1.5 16 oz beers, i'm clearly unable to hold my liquor.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Increased enforcement of speed limits does increase compliance, but it doesn't last when enforcement is lowered, and its localized to where the enforcement is taking place. You can look at the paper Speed Enforcement and Speed Choice as a starting point if you want to know more. There's other research out there as well.
We had a standard-speed road here (50mph, and everyone goes at about that speed). They added some road-works speed limits (30mph), and everyone slowed down to that speed. For the first few weeks. Then after a while, everyone noticed that there weren't actually any road works, and returned to 50mph. The police did nothing about it, because enforcing road-works signs where there are no road-works is not their highest priority. Then, after a while, everyone noticed that they were going 50mph in a 30mph zone, breaking the law anyway, going 20mph over the speed limit anyway, not getting ticketed anyway.... and the speed crept up to 60~65 mph.

When they actually started road works a year later, the road workers were scared s--less by the cars going past at 60~65 mph, and the local papers were putting up warnings that road-works had started and speed limits would be enforced.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Are those things legal? Most countries in Europe bust you you just for possession. By "most countries" I mean that I don't know one that doesn't.
Heck, any detectors are illegal in Virginia and DC (you'll see the road sign advising of that shortly behind (or right below/beside) the "Welcome to Virginia" one after you cross the Potomac).

Last edited by JRDelirious; 11-10-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
If you mean radar detectors, they are legal for private passenger vehicles in all states except Virginia and the District of Columbia. Under FCC rule they should be legal there too as they are nothing more than a radio receiver, but nobody wants to be a test case. They are illegal in commercial vehicles via federal law.

As far as the "anti-radar detector" Jasmine spoke of, they weren't specific as to what they meant. Generally it is illegal to have an active, broadcasting radar jammer. There is a company named Rocky Mountain Radar that sells a passive radar jammer. Every single test over the last 20 years has shown that none of RMR devices have any effect on police radar whatsoever at any speed or distance. You would get the same effect driving with a brick on your dash or visor. RMR continues to sell these devices with their false claims even though they have consistently been shown to be completely worthless. The company even has been fined for false claims and continues to sell their crap.

I wish Jasmine would come back and explain what device they are using that they claim works.

Quote:
https://www.radarbusters.com/Rocky-M...iew-s/2521.htm

Because of the publicity generated by Radar Roy’s $50,000 reward other national news outlets did their own investigations on Michael Churchman and his company Rocky Mountain Radar such as:

20/20 Investigation – Completely useless at jamming police radar.

Extra Investigation – RMR products were ineffective against any police radar.

American Journal Investigation – Failed at having any effect in jamming police radar.

CBS Good Morning - Totally useless in jamming radar.

Last edited by pkbites; 11-11-2019 at 12:37 AM.