Old 11-04-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Do you buy magazines? Did you ever?

I was watching a YouTube video where an adult was talking to a couple of teenagers (I believe they were both 19) about his views of what he thought about modern teenagers were like and how accurate or inaccurate the teenagers felt they were.

One thing he mentioned was his belief that teenagers never bought magazines. And both teenagers conceded that they had never bought a magazine.

I know magazine sales have declined. But I was surprised to hear about two average young people who have never bought a magazine in their lifetime.

I'm not setting up a formal poll but I would like to do an informal survey.

Do you buy magazines? On a frequent basis? Occasionally? Rarely? Never?

Have you bought magazines in the past?

Are there specific situations when you buy a magazine; like when you're going on a flight?

Do you subscribe to any magazines? Have you subscribed to any magazines in the past?

What's your age?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

My own personal responses:

I buy magazines occasionally.

I used to buy them frequently but my magazine reading declined when I retired. (I worked a lot of night shifts and reading was an easy way to kill time while staying alert.)

I do not subscribe to any magazines now. I have had several magazine subscriptions in the past.

I'm in my late fifties.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 PM

I rarely buy magazines anymore.
But, in the 80’s I had subscriptions to at least 15 magazines.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 PM

I still buy a few but I don't have any more subscriptions. I would add - if this is relevant - that I have not bought a physical newspaper in a long time either.
I read the majority of my "magazines" online in the form of about 1,000 loosely completely unconnected/connected articles.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:38 PM

I think that the last magazine I bought an issue of was this one, and it was canceled 11 years ago. In the years before that, I used to buy lots of them--maybe 10 or 12 per month? All of them science, computer, and science fiction titles. Age almost 47.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 PM

Not so much anymore, unless I see an article I really want to read. But back when I was growing up, my grandparents would always get us a subscription to National Geographic every year for Xmas. That was pretty cool. (And it definitely helped with homework!)

I also had a subscription to Seventeen when I was in high school. I used to read that and YM a lot, and the usual teeny-bopper mags. And then in college I liked the Star Wars Insider.

Magazines have just gotten so expensive, it's easier to read them online, or at the library.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

We used to subscribe to a number of them: National Geographic, Alaska Magazine, Smithsonian, Sunset, and some others.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:48 PM

I had subscriptions for Byte and PC Mag for over 10 years.

My only subscription now is Consumer Reports.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:55 PM

I may have subscribed to one or two. Used to buy some.
I collect old (70s or older) Southern Living magazine.
My kids had a couple of gift subscriptions from grandparents, for kids mags.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:10 AM

Don't know how long it's been since I bought a magazine. Probably at an airport. I had subscriptions to a few different magazines, probably nothing in this century.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 AM

Just remembered, my brother gave me a subscription to Mad Magazine a few years ago. And I had a subscription to Dr. Dobbs around 2008.

Last edited by TriPolar; 11-05-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Late fifties here.

I'll typically buy one or two if I'm at an airport. Usually, such purchases will be magazines that deal with sports, and current affairs and opinion.

I still subscribe to Time, and I had a subscription to Sports Illustrated for years.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 AM

At our family's peak in the 90's we had maybe subscriptions to maybe 10 magazines at one time. That ended after the realization, while looking at the 2 ft high stack next to both the sides of our bed, that we did not have nearly the time to read them all. I felt like if I paid for it I had to read it cover to cover, but I never had the time to do that, perpetual guilt ensued.

A couple years ago I found "Texture" which has since become Apple News. We couldn't be happier. We pay $13/month and get about 130 magazine subscriptions / month, (they're basically pdf's, so you get the full issue including advertising etc), plus a year or two of back issues, plus countless newspapers daily. Zero guilt - I read the single article I want and move on. No big stack beside the bed, no paper wasted or recycled either.

That said, my son's 18 and has never bought a single magazine for himself and has no use for them. He gets all the news and stories he's interested in online everyday. He says magazines are outdated and the stories are months old by the time you get them.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:50 AM
Charter Member

I've had two subscriptions for some 40 years now: Science News and Sky and Telescope. Don't plan on giving them up. A former landlord and I jointly subscribed to the local newspaper. When I moved earlier this year, I stopped that, but found I miss it. So I'm thinking of resubscribing.

ETA: I donate the magazines to a local (very small) library that doesn't have a budget for magazines. Surprisingly, a number of other people also donate magazines, so the library actually has a reasonable selection.

Last edited by dtilque; 11-05-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
At present I would say no, I do not buy magazines. Once in a very, very great while I might buy one, less than once a year.

Quote:
Yes. I used to have multiple simultaneous subscriptions. I now read things on the internet instead, or borrow the library's copy while I'm there.

Quote:
Are there specific situations when you buy a magazine; like when you're going on a flight?
No, I'm the weirdo that watches out the window on a flight.

I would not say there is a specific occasion. It would be when I'm in a situation where I have zero entertainment, OR the magazine has an article I'm extremely interested in.

Quote:
Do you subscribe to any magazines? Have you subscribed to any magazines in the past?
As I said - not now, but yes very much in the past.

Quote:
What's your age?
Mid-50's
Old 11-05-2019, 05:40 AM

Back in the day I used to have 10+ subscriptions going at a time. I loved magazines.

I can't remember the last time I purchased one over the counter. I do still subscribe to The New Yorker, and, off and on, National Geographic.

Coincidentally I was in a supermarket the other day. I had time to kill waiting for a return text on what type of chicken to buy so I wandered over to the (huge) display of magazines. As I browsed I wondered to myself how many of them were actually sold in a month. Some of the titles were pretty obscure.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If "buy" means physically select from a magazine rack, then No. Never.

Quote:
Yes, but rarely

Quote:
More likely when visiting a new town/state. Either something to pass the time, or something local to the area.

Quote:
What's your age?
Yes, Texas Monthly, and Texas Highways are the only print magazines I currently subscribe to.
I get a Yachting magazine somehow (I didn't sign up). I rarely read it, since the articles are about boats in excess of $10 million. I have no idea why it arrives at my house, but this is the second year.

In the past: American Rifleman, National Geographic, and The Economist. The only ones I've saved are my collection of Mad magazines from the late 60s and early 70s. I still reread those occasionally -- much of it is still funny to me.

Last edited by pullin; 11-05-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I was watching a YouTube video where an adult was talking to a couple of teenagers (I believe they were both 19) about his views of what he thought about modern teenagers were like and how accurate or inaccurate the teenagers felt they were.

One thing he mentioned was his belief that teenagers never bought magazines. And both teenagers conceded that they had never bought a magazine.

I know magazine sales have declined. But I was surprised to hear about two average young people who have never bought a magazine in their lifetime.

I'm not setting up a formal poll but I would like to do an informal survey.

What's your age?
I'm 43. I used to buy magazines, but I don't think I've actually done so in years*. Maybe even over a decade.

when I read/see stuff about people like that guy in the YT vid you mention, more and more I understand the "OK Boomer" thing.

(* as in "I've not gone to the magazine rack of a store and bought anything in years." I'm not counting stuff that's mailed to me as part of something else e.g. "Costco Connection." That usually just goes in the bin anyway.)

Last edited by jz78817; 11-05-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:02 AM

Back when I cared about new music and "young people stuff" I used to get Rolling Stone.

Now I just get National Geographic and MAD. They both go directly on the back of the toilet.

The previous owner(s) of our house apparently never switched her magazine subscriptions so we occasionally get Decor and something else that sucks. Those go directly into the recycling.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:22 AM

I'm 61. We've had a Cooks Illustrated subscription for a long time. Other than that, I'd have to reach back twenty or thirty years to when I used to buy High Times at the "book store" (there used to be stores that sold books, magazines, and sometimes coffee!).

A friend was just telling me about his Apple News subscription; for X.99 a month (9?) he gets to choose from a huge list of magazine subscriptions in digital format.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 AM

My favourite Xmas present every year is a subscription to Private Eye (British poltical satire magazine) - it's a great antidote to hysterical internet nonsense, so its paper format just helps with that (I'm 42).
Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 AM

I'm 65.

My first subscription was Mad, when I was 10 or 11. That lasted until high school. During high school I began subscribing to Rolling Stone, probably in 1970. That lasted into the 90s. During the 90s, I subscribed to New Republic and National Review.

My only current subscription is to the New Yorker, electronic edition.

My wife subscribes to a couple of magazines. The only one I can think of is Southern Living.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:52 AM

I've bought magazines fairly regularly throughout my life and still buy a few titles regularly. My bookcases are about a quarter full of old copies of Evo and Octane magazine. I'll say that on the various enthusiasts forums I follow, the most common argument against buying magazines (paper or digital) is that there's all sorts of content on the internet "for free."

I hate that mindset, as it dismisses the very concept of quality writing. No one would say they don't consume music or movies anymore because there's tons of free amateur stuff on the internet. But people have no problem putting a rant on Jalopnik up there with David E. Davis or Chris Harris.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I subscribe to a bunch of professional magazines. I still subscribe to American Scientist

I regularly buy several

Mad (They claim that they're not going away -- they're now selling subscriptions)

Weird N.J.

Writing Magazines, occasionally

News magazines, occasionally (we used to subscribe to Newsweek, until it died. It came back, but we haven't re-upped

Playboy, now and then.

The Skeptic sometimes

Skeptical Inquirer sometimes

My wife subscribes to

Consumer Reports

TV Guide (Yes!)

My daughter subscribes to Cosmo.

I used to regularly buy or subscribe to a lot of other magazines, many of which have disappeared

Cinefantastique

American Heritage Science and Invention

Time

Newsweek

Skeptical Inquirer

Scientific American
Old 11-05-2019, 08:05 AM

I used to buy Guitar for the Practicing Musician. I literally learned to play guitar almost entirely by reading that magazine.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I have, at various times in my life, bought/subscribed to a wide variety of magazines, from MAD to puzzle magazines to fiction magazines to news magazines to general interest magazines (e.g. The Atlantic, Reader's Digest) to, yes, the kind that had pictures of boobies.

Almost everything I used to get from magazines, I now get from The Internet. That, I think, is the big reason why people don't buy magazines anymore.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 AM

I had subscriptions to a ton of magazines over the years, but none recently. I think the last one expired about 10 years ago. I don't buy them anymore.

I still have the first issue of Omni, in mint condition.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:23 AM

We have two magazine subscriptions. Games World of Puzzles for me and Sports Illustrated for the kids (15 and 16). The kids read SI nearly every day (they reread older issues). If there's better writing in an American magazine I've yet to find it. Unfortunately the people who own it seem bound to destroy it.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:32 AM

I can only recall buying a magazine from a store once - my wife asked me to pick up a copy of the Playboy w/ Vanna White in it.

We have several magazines delivered. The only one I read is the Atlantic. My wife subscribes to several violin, woodworking, and gardening mags.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

I'm 54. I've subscribed to a ton of magazines in the past, but at this point, I've let them all lapse (or, in a few cases, the magazines have gone out of business). Off the top of my head, magazines that I'd subscribed to in the past:
Newsweek
Discover
Rolling Stone (I dropped it this year; it'd gone from weekly, to biweekly, to monthly)
Guitar Player
Runner's World
Omni
Model Railroader
Sports Illiustrated
Packer Report
Smithsonian
The Atlantic
Entertainment Weekly
Dragon
Car and Driver

My wife still has a subscription to Archeology.

I'll still occasionally buy one when I'm at the airport, but even that has become infrequent. I spend my time on planes either playing word games on my phone, or reading a book.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-05-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM

I currently have a subscription to The Atlantic that should have ended a year ago but they keep mailing them to me.

I used to have a subscription to Playboy a few years ago. "For the articles" jokes aside, I actually did get it because it was five bucks through some promotion and I always heard stories of great articles and interviews and writing. Figured, for five dollars, why not. It was okay, but once the subscription lapsed, I felt no desire to renew it. Plus, you might not know this, but they have nudie pics on the internet these days.

The last time I bought a magazine at the counter was perhaps six or seven years ago when I wanted some reading material over lunch. It was some computer enthusiast magazine, cost a surprising eight dollars and had maybe 15-20min worth of reading content in it between the ads.

Other magazines I had subs to in the past included Popular Science, Rolling Stone, Dragon, Omni, National Wildlife, Smithsonian and my childhood subscription to Ranger Rick.

Last edited by Jophiel; 11-05-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I've had a subscription to Analog Science Fiction since the 60's. Still have it and they come every month. They don't always get read right away, but eventually they do.

Used to subscribe to Popular Science, Popular Mechanic, Photography and several others I can't recall.

It's my opinion that the internet has killed magazine subscriptions, and newspapers too.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 AM

Like most here, I've had subscriptions on-and-off for most of my life (National Geographic, Time, Sports Illustrated), but dropped the last one a couple years ago and have no particular interest in getting any new ones. Mid-60's here.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I read a bunch of magazines regularly - some are subscriptions and some I get at the local Barnes & Noble. We subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, Cook's Country, Taste of the South, Entertainment Weekly, Food Network Magazine, Milk Street, and a few others. I store-buy random issues of Whisky Advocate, Zymurgy, Military Vehicle Collector, Rachael Ray Every Day, Bon Appetit, Uncut, and a few more.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Being an older person, yes, I grew up with many magazine subscriptions and currently subscribe or receive as part of memberships. For now, The Economist, Time, Sunset, Westways (AAA membership), AARP (membership). My spouse gets every high-end travel magazine imaginable and other home type magazines that I can't be bothered to keep track of.

We used to get National Geographic, which I started as a young person. But I suffered from the delusion that it was good thing to keep them, because that's what one was supposed to do, and everyone in my family did. As a child I enjoyed reading old issues that my grandparents had on the shelf. However, in our last move I donated them all to a library (I was happy to find someone who would take them, else I would have just tossed them in the bin.) And we also ended the subscription, partly because my tastes changed and I got tired of the implicit colonialism (oooh, look at the dark people in their colorful costumes), and climate catastrophe, viewpoints.

As for purchasing over the counter, yes, I will pick up the odd New Yorker or The Atlantic for airplane reading.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:48 AM

Great question - I actually had to think about this.

I haven't bought a magazine at a newsstand in decades. I used to buy many, and then I realized that was stupid, and I should just subscribe to the ones I wanted.

I currently subscribe to The New Yorker and the Atlantic. Also Commonweal and America (Catholics will likely know these ones). Also the New York Times print edition. I don't know if that counts as a magazine, although I supposed the Sunday magazine does.

Also (in the past) Fantasy & Science Fiction, and Analog. I seem to have lost my taste for SF, so I don't anymore.

I used to subscribed to all the motorcycle magazines. Stopped when I gave up motorcycles, since there was grave danger of me running out and buying a new bike every time I read the latest issues, and that would inevitably lead to divorce.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM

I'M in my late 50s. I buy a few, used to buy more.

Mostly I cut back because the magazines have changed, not me.

I buy old magazines (late 60s-early 80s) on ebay and read them. Those are still worth reading. As long as they aren't current events magazines, you don't notice.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:11 AM

I'm in my mid-60's. As a kid I bought Mad and comic books. In the 70's I bought Time, Newsweek, National Geographic and comic books. In the 80's I had a family and stopped buying magazines.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM

I had a subscription to Glamour for a year or two in high school (1990s). Might have had subscription to Highlights as a child, but that would've been something decided by parent/grandparent, and not sure if it counts as a magazine.

Did comic books for 10+ years before abandoning with One More Day. Have read DC more recently, but chiefly digital copies of older comics. Mostly 1970s-early 2000s, but some more recent stuff.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'm 40, I still subscribe to Wired magazine. I had a subscription to Rolling Stone that I loved but whatever deal I had ran out and it was $90 to sign up again and I said no way. I found cheaper subscription rates on Amazon (and they've since sent me some discount rates) but I'm trying to be lean in my budget this year and I don't get around to reading it as much so I declined for now. I'll probably go back.

I also get Governing magazine because I have an interest in local politics. Sadly, they printed their last issue in September.

I get magazines from the Humane Society and from my college, and I actually read them. But they are free.

Speaking of college, I was a magazine journalism major so I really love magazines.

I used to get Spin as a kid. For a bit I subscribed to Cook's Illustrated as an adult. Every so often I'd buy a magazine if someone I like was on the cover or had a feature inside. I haven't bought one off the newsstands in a long while...they seem to have gotten super expensive.

If I'm in a waiting room with magazines I love reading them, even on topics I don't give a shit about. Like Better Homes & Gardens and Family Circle.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
I've had a subscription to Analog Science Fiction since the 60's. Still have it and they come every month.
Analog went to six thicker issues a year years ago, a year or two after Fantasy & Science Fiction did.

Speaking of which, I subscribe to both as well as National Geographic and Scientific American, all of them started somewhere between 1970 and 1975. I've had subscriptions to others but let them all lapse long ago, Mother Earth News, Model Railroader, Proceedings, and Astronomy come to mind immediately, but there were others. I occasionally read an article in my brother's issue of Aviation Weekly. I do not recall the last time I bought one off the rack. I'm 69.

Last edited by DesertDog; 11-05-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 AM

I'm in my late 40's. I get Sports Illustrated (we'll see how long that continues with the changes there), and Cook's Country.

I also had a sub to Golf Digest the I didn't renew, but they are still sending it to me.
Same with Milk Street.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:04 AM

The only magazine we subscribe to is Texas Monthly, which contains occasionally excellent articles including investigative pieces, plus invaluable advice about where to find the best Tex-Mex and barbecue for local dining or mail order.

I used to subscribe to a couple of gardening magazines (Fine Gardening and American Horticulture), but they got repetitive over time, so at best I might pick up a gardening magazine or two a couple times a year for reading on a vacation trip.

We still have two newspaper subscriptions (online and weekend physical delivery for the local paper, and full subscription to one national newspaper). Once or twice a week it's fun to read the Cleveland Plain Dealer to sample incredibly inane letters to the editor and moans and groans about the Cleveland Browns.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Rarely. I don't remember the last time I bought one.

Quote:
Yes, and I'm old enough to append that with "of course I did, we didn't all grow up in the era of Internet porn."

Quote:
There would have to be an article that I wanted to have in hard copy and original formatting.

Quote:
I have magazines subscribed to on my behalf as Christmas presents from my mother, if that counts.

Quote:
What's your age?
Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM

Back in my early 20s, I used to get People off the rack. Until I wised up. A little later, I subscribed to National Lampoon for a few years. Magazines nowadays smell so badly that I can't read them.

Oh, one year of Guitar Player. I wasn't that type of guitarist, so I let it lapse.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 11-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I subscribe to plenty. I’ve never found electronic magazines to be a good substitute unlike Kindle ebooks.

Also, I feel no guilt about throwing them out unlike the painful process of thinning out books.

I always get offers to redeem air miles for magazines and I take advantage of it if it’s an airline I seldom fly. There’s no frequent flyer program that makes it easier to redeem miles for flights, so I’ll use miles for magazines or WiFi. I don’t fly on business so I rarely rack up enough to qualify and I haven’t decided on an air miles card yet.

Magazines I get:
The Economist
The New Yorker
New York
The Atlantic
Smithsonian history
Sports Illustrated
GQ
Out
National Geographic Travel
Conde Naste Travel
Travel and Leisure
Chicago

I’m sure I’m forgetting some and I’m not including my college alumni magazine or the Art Institute of Chicago magazine.

I’ll often buy a couple of magazines abroad. Don’t often buy them in the USA. As you can see, I’ve got plenty
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Shit, dale - that's A LOT of reading material! Just the Economist and New Yorker landing in my mailbox weekly would be more than I could handle!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:49 PM

I'm 39. When I was a kid, I'd always pester my parents to let me buy a magazine at the store. Eventually, I started buying my own.

I've always subscribed to at least a few at any given time over the years. Even now in the dying age of magazines, I still subscribe to a handful, probably 4-5 car magazines, Popular Mechanics, stuff like that.

I buy a lot less at the newsstand these days, mostly because they are so expensive. You can get a year's subscription delivered to your house for around the same price as a single issue...but if I'm at the airport and staring down the barrel of a long international flight, I'll usually pick up a couple. If I have time to kill at Barnes & Noble (one of the few that are left) I'll read a stack of magazines and put them back on the shelf.

I'm a graphic designer and appreciate the entire process of designing and printing, and there's something about a physical copy that I like better than reading the stories online. It's sad for me to see them dying out.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Are we counting magazines that are just included with membership in an organization? I get Sierra and AAA's Via, but that's just because I'm a member of the Sierra Club and AAA and they're included with the membership. I don't actually want their magazines and they always just get thrown into the recycling without being read. I don't believe I've ever actually purchased a magazine on its own as an adult.

As a kid I had subscriptions to Boy's Life and the official Star Trek fan club magazine.

I'm 39.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:55 PM

I used to buy the odd Mad Magazine for kicks, but I haven't done that in at least a decade.