Old 11-06-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flurb View Post
... I assume that the Kentucky legislature will follow the example of North Carolina when Roy Cooper was elected Governor and strip his office of as much power as they can.
With compromise the new order of the day, perhaps they'll strip him of just 90% as much power as they can.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
None of that actually contradicts what BobLibDem wrote.
I don't feel so. Trump's base may be loud but I don't feel they control the nuts and bolts of the party organization. Let's face it; most of them aren't smart enough to run a complex organization like a national party.

The people who are running the day-to-day operations of the Republican Party aren't married to Trump. They're in it for the long run; they've been around for thirty years and plan on being around for decades into the future. As far as Trump's people are concerned, the world ends in 2024.

Yes, they're working with Trump now. He's a Republican and he won the election. But they'd be happier working with somebody like Pence or Romney or McConnell or Ryan; one of their own.

So when some mainstream conservative Republican faces a primary challenge from some fire-breathing Trumphead and the GOP leaders think the Trumphead will lose the general election to the Democrat, they'll quietly step in. The Trumphead will be out on the streets screaming about how people need to keep their faith in Beloved Leader. But then suddenly he'll notice he isn't on the primary ballot and the mainstream conservative is running unopposed. And the Republican leadership will say "Oh, gee, did nobody remind you that you needed to have your special eligibility request documentation Form-R1098 submitted ninety business days before the primary? I guess we forgot to mention that and you weren't aware of the proper procedure. That's too bad."
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I don't feel so. Trump's base may be loud but I don't feel they control the nuts and bolts of the party organization. Let's face it; most of them aren't smart enough to run a complex organization like a national party.

The people who are running the day-to-day operations of the Republican Party aren't married to Trump. They're in it for the long run; they've been around for thirty years and plan on being around for decades into the future. As far as Trump's people are concerned, the world ends in 2024.

Yes, they're working with Trump now. He's a Republican and he won the election. But they'd be happier working with somebody like Pence or Romney or McConnell or Ryan; one of their own.

So when some mainstream conservative Republican faces a primary challenge from some fire-breathing Trumphead and the GOP leaders think the Trumphead will lose the general election to the Democrat, they'll quietly step in. The Trumphead will be out on the streets screaming about how people need to keep their faith in Beloved Leader. But then suddenly he'll notice he isn't on the primary ballot and the mainstream conservative is running unopposed. And the Republican leadership will say "Oh, gee, did nobody remind you that you needed to have your special eligibility request documentation Form-R1098 submitted ninety business days before the primary? I guess we forgot to mention that and you weren't aware of the proper procedure. That's too bad."
I hope that you are more right than I am. My fear is that those currently in the Donald Cult are in it for the long run. Long after he has left the stage, they are going to look for the candidate in the primary who exhibits the most white nationalism and the most contempt for the poor. Suppose that a post-presidential Donald decides that he is going to be the kingmaker. He'd still hold his massive rallies of the faithful, instructing them who to support. Even after death, his sons would pick up the torch and continue his mission- not because they believe in it, but because the rubes are easy marks for buying merchandise. The Wall Street Republicans may not like it, but their party may have been permanently taken over by the white nationalists.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
"Stivers said he thought Bevin’s speech declining to concede to Beshear was “appropriate.” He said believes most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about 2% of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner."
Izzat so?
You know what Republicans should do? They should propose an election system where citizens get to rank their choices while voting.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
You know what Republicans should do? They should propose an election system where citizens get to rank their choices while voting.
Yes. There are probably better systems available to us -- and they're almost all better than first past the post -- but RCV is a good first step.

Approval voting, for example, would be a sensible way for a major political party to apply to its primary systems. Now, there are lots of obstacles to doing that, most notably that states control their own processes, but we'll never do anything smart if we don't start trying to at some point.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flurb View Post
Should the result hold up, the impact of Bashear getting elected may be fairly limited. The legislature is still held by Republicans, and I read that the Governor's veto can be overturned by a simply majority of legislators. I assume that the Kentucky legislature will follow the example of North Carolina when Roy Cooper was elected Governor and strip his office of as much power as they can.
In a way, I kinda wouldn't mind seeing the KY legislature steal the election from the Dems. It would be wildly unpopular and put all kinds of attention on the Republican party, which is really what needs to happen instead of fixating outrage on individuals. It's the entire party that's rotten to the core. Pulling that kind of stunt is only going to harden the resolve of Dems to bring more people out to the polls next time.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Help me out, please - how, hypothetically, could the KY Legislature overturn the election results?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post
Help me out, please - how, hypothetically, could the KY Legislature overturn the election results?
From the link above:
Quote:
A candidate can file a formal election contest with the state legislature, but it must be filed within 30 days of the last action by the state board of elections. The state board is scheduled to certify the results of the race for governor on Nov. 25 this year.

Under this contest, the candidate challenging the results must specify the grounds for the action, such as a violation of campaign finance rules or specific problems when it comes to how ballots were cast.

Such an election contest is covered under Section 90 of the state constitution, which addresses a "contest of election for Governor or Lieutenant Governor."

Section 90 states: "Contested elections for Governor and Lieutenant Governor shall be determined by both Houses of the General Assembly, according to such regulations as may be established by law."
Old 11-07-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
So Donald threw a tantrum and held his breath until Kentucky turned blue.

My takeaways:
The suburbs of Cincinnati and Louisville abandoned the Republican in Kentucky, suburban voters in Virginia did as well. I don't see this as anything but good news for Democrats. If urban and suburban areas vote solidly blue, there simply aren't enough rural voters to carry the day in states like OH, PA, MI, WI, and FL to save the day for any Republican nominee. We could be entering the golden age of Democratic rule.
Until we get cocky or overconfident.

Quote:
Mississippi played true to form and it's hard to see that state flipping in the next decade.
I can see Texas and Georgia flipping
Old 11-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Absolutely. And let us further hope Virginia will pass serious, meaningful legislation addressing such issues and gun control, health care, infrastructure building, etc., that will show obvious benefits, that other states will take notice, and that my home state will be a leader in bringing the US into the 21st century. But I'm not overly optimistic.
And THAT is how you lose a thin majority in the Virginia Senate. We won some of those seats by pretty slim margins.

If you want to advance a progressive agenda, wait until after the redistricting passes muster.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
I can see Texas and Georgia flipping
Georgia won't flip until someone with integrity runs their elections.