Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,005

Mark Zuckerberg is a fucking sociopath - seriously, just delete that shit already!


If you have Facecrook, you're a fucking stooge. Srsly!

https://www.businessinsider.com/eu-c...al-ads-2019-11

I'm so fucking sick of this smug piece of shit showing up and just asserting his right to be a politically disruptive c*nt.

Are people so addicted to their own selfies that they can't see how they're being stripped of every ounce of their privacy, even if they barely use the damn site?

"We want to connect people!"

No, Mark, if Facebook had an app that stuffed a cotton swab in the user's mouth and nabbed their DNA, you'd be all over that.

Please, folks, just delete that shit. Don't look back. Go back to group email.
  #2  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:36 PM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,761
not that i care for facebook much myself but yeah good luck with that .......
  #3  
Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 9,399
I think that Mark Zuckerberg is a brave hero who strives to provide a platform to deliver fake news and untruthful, provocative memes to the masses! Share this if you're not some yellow bellied socialist commie coward. DO IT FOR OUR TROOPS!!
  #4  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,927
asahi goes into a rage about bad people. Must be a day ending in y.
  #5  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,605
Do we, in fact, already have rules that political ads can't lie? No. So what is he doing differently? Nothing.
  #6  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,287
I think Facebook is great! Can post funny pictures, memes, and news to friends and family scattered around the world.

I think Zuck should tell everyone government to go fuck themselves, he'll put whatever he wants on his platform.
  #7  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
If you have Facecrook, you're a fucking stooge. Srsly!

https://www.businessinsider.com/eu-c...al-ads-2019-11

I'm so fucking sick of this smug piece of shit showing up and just asserting his right to be a politically disruptive c*nt.

Are people so addicted to their own selfies that they can't see how they're being stripped of every ounce of their privacy, even if they barely use the damn site?

"We want to connect people!"

No, Mark, if Facebook had an app that stuffed a cotton swab in the user's mouth and nabbed their DNA, you'd be all over that.

Please, folks, just delete that shit. Don't look back. Go back to group email.
What stops misleading ads in other media?
  #8  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:10 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Do we, in fact, already have rules that political ads can't lie? No. So what is he doing differently? Nothing.
Why would that matter? The point is that, since 2016, Facebook has been trying to push this idea of fighting misinformation on their platform. But now they're making excuses for political ads. Zuckerberg is trying to argue that it harms freedom of speech to provide refutation for false statements.

They've also decided to suspend the rules about not being allowed to make maliciously false statements about others if you are a politician.

A targeted disinformation campaign from another resulted in the election of a con man as president of the United States. If you don't support Trump, then you should be on board with this.

Just because something doesn't break the law doesn't mean it's okay. You're on a board about fighting ignorance--you should not want it to spread.
  #9  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:17 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 11,005
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
  #10  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:26 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Why would that matter? The point is that, since 2016, Facebook has been trying to push this idea of fighting misinformation on their platform. But now they're making excuses for political ads. Zuckerberg is trying to argue that it harms freedom of speech to provide refutation for false statements.

They've also decided to suspend the rules about not being allowed to make maliciously false statements about others if you are a politician.

A targeted disinformation campaign from another resulted in the election of a con man as president of the United States. If you don't support Trump, then you should be on board with this.

Just because something doesn't break the law doesn't mean it's okay. You're on a board about fighting ignorance--you should not want it to spread.
In the other thread about AOC, there was this comment:

Quote:
For example, in a tweet in December last year, "$21 TRILLION of Pentagon financial transactions ‘could not be traced, documented, or explained.’ $21T in Pentagon accounting errors. Medicare for All costs ~$32T. That means 66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon. And that’s before our premiums." The fact-checking website politifact.com rated this statement as False, noting that it was based on a misreading of the source material and a misunderstanding of the data. In an interview, you said "Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family." Politifact.com rated this statement as Pants on Fire. Do you think that it would be reasonable for Facebook to censor this comment as factually incorrect, or do you believe that the point you were trying to make, about the difficulty that many people face in getting by on low wages, is sufficiently clear that the statement should be allowed to stand?
Would you say that Facebook should delete any posts from AOC that Politifact.com rates as "Pants on Fire"?
  #11  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Why would that matter? The point is that, since 2016, Facebook has been trying to push this idea of fighting misinformation on their platform. But now they're making excuses for political ads. Zuckerberg is trying to argue that it harms freedom of speech to provide refutation for false statements.

They've also decided to suspend the rules about not being allowed to make maliciously false statements about others if you are a politician.

A targeted disinformation campaign from another resulted in the election of a con man as president of the United States. If you don't support Trump, then you should be on board with this.

Just because something doesn't break the law doesn't mean it's okay. You're on a board about fighting ignorance--you should not want it to spread.
Alright I see now. I don't use facebook and haven't been following the news, all I did was read the OP link. It seems facebook now has a double standard? OK. That sucks.
  #12  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:38 PM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
asahi goes into a rage about bad people. Must be a day ending in y.
Anger is the emotion one feels when they see something wrong, something that shouldn't be. It is what motivates us to try and change those things.

So what the fuck is wrong with being angry about "bad people"? If the guy is doing something bad, why shouldn't he be angry?

Oh, and asahi's flaw is getting too despaired and hopeless about things. Getting angry is an improvement.
  #13  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:41 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,287
Who are the "bad people" in the OP?
  #14  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
He's back! Tell me - will we all kneel while you laugh?
  #15  
Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 PM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
Aren't you late for your next OP about how you and you alone were right all along, we're all doomed, and there's nothing anyone can do about it?
  #16  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,529
Asahi is like the verbal equivalent of a mass shooter in the mall, firing rants at random people.
  #17  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 PM
pool is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 4,607
I deleted Facebook years ago as I believe social media is a vacuous waste of time. That said I don't see how it's Zuckerberg's responsibility to search through and validate political ads.
__________________
"You can do anything you set your mind to...But money helps"
  #18  
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Why would that matter? The point is that, since 2016, Facebook has been trying to push this idea of fighting misinformation on their platform. But now they're making excuses for political ads. Zuckerberg is trying to argue that it harms freedom of speech to provide refutation for false statements.

They've also decided to suspend the rules about not being allowed to make maliciously false statements about others if you are a politician.

A targeted disinformation campaign from another resulted in the election of a con man as president of the United States. If you don't support Trump, then you should be on board with this.

Just because something doesn't break the law doesn't mean it's okay. You're on a board about fighting ignorance--you should not want it to spread.
Promising something that they'd fail miserably at providing and pleasing no one in the process and would cost them tremendous amounts of time and money is very counterproductive. If people are getting their so-called facts from Facebook memes the problem is with the people not the platform.

Last edited by octopus; 11-07-2019 at 11:48 PM.
  #19  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I think that Mark Zuckerberg is a brave hero who strives to provide a platform to deliver fake news and untruthful, provocative memes to the masses! Share this if you're not some yellow bellied socialist commie coward. DO IT FOR OUR TROOPS!!
Yay! Go!! Zucky isn't even the richest man in the world yet; who can blame him for wanting to raise a few pennies helping Russia if it brings him closer to his goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Do we, in fact, already have rules that political ads can't lie? No. So what is he doing differently? Nothing.
If something isn't criminal, then it is mandatory. Got it. You fit in real well in post-rational America.
  #20  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
You're still here? Shouldn't you have flounced by now?
  #21  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:04 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Promising something that they'd fail miserably at providing and pleasing no one in the process and would cost them tremendous amounts of time and money is very counterproductive. If people are getting their so-called facts from Facebook memes the problem is with the people not the platform.
Howja like that World Series, Octy?
  #22  
Old 11-08-2019, 12:14 AM
Isamu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Osaka
Posts: 6,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Yay! Go!! Zucky isn't even the richest man in the world yet; who can blame him for wanting to raise a few pennies helping Russia if it brings him closer to his goal.



If something isn't criminal, then it is mandatory. Got it. You fit in real well in post-rational America.
I don't really. Don't even live there. Although I have contemplated moving to Colorado to start a weed plantation. But I'm probably too old for that now. I'm flouncing as we speak.

Last edited by Isamu; 11-08-2019 at 12:15 AM.
  #23  
Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 AM
Gary Kumquat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
If people are getting their so-called facts from Facebook memes the problem is with the people not the platform.
The day's just started, and here I am finding myself in agreement with octopus. Fuck.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room. With a bottle of malt.
  #24  
Old 11-08-2019, 02:02 AM
nightshadea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: a condo in hell 10th lvl
Posts: 5,761
I remember when Facebook was nothing but college kids posting their drunken frat parties and amateur wet t-shirt contests .....
  #25  
Old 11-08-2019, 02:19 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
The day's just started, and here I am finding myself in agreement with octopus. Fuck.
In another thread we learn that six-year olds are taking guns to school in response to seeing their drunk dads point the guns, in jest, at mom. Do you blame the six-year old, or the drunk dad? Or the multi-million dollar Lie Machine that preaches that keeping a gun handy is cheaper than Viagra?

Now, apply that same thought experiment changing "six year-old" to "average redneck voter" and "taking guns to school" to "voting for criminals."

Oh? Typical Trump voters are smarter than the average six-year old? OK, change it to "eight-year old" for the thought experiment.
  #26  
Old 11-08-2019, 03:32 AM
I Love Me, Vol. I's Avatar
I Love Me, Vol. I is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Promising something that they'd fail miserably at providing and pleasing no one in the process and would cost them tremendous amounts of time and money is very counterproductive. If people are getting their so-called facts from Facebook memes the problem is with the people not the platform.
[Bumper Sticker]

Facebook Doesn't Kill Facts, People Do!

[/Bumper Sticker]


Note: I do not disagree with the notion that Americans' lack of critical-thinking skills and idiocy in general are bigger problems then Facefuck is.

Last edited by I Love Me, Vol. I; 11-08-2019 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Editing is Fun! Editing is Healthy!
  #27  
Old 11-08-2019, 04:00 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Land of Smiles
Posts: 19,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Me, Vol. I View Post
Note: I do not disagree with the notion that Americans' lack of critical-thinking skills and idiocy in general are bigger problems then Facefuck is.
If patients were running amok in a looney-bin, would you blame the inmates? Or the care-providers?

The United States has been turned over to the nuttiest nut-cases; and Zuckyface is egging them all on just to put some more pieces of silver in his purse.
  #28  
Old 11-08-2019, 04:25 AM
Unreconstructed Man is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 367
I don’t blame Facebook at all for the Fake News epidemic. I blame the stupid motherfuckers who believe everything they read online. If you see an article from a site called NEWSMAGEDDON saying Hillary sacrifices Christian babies to George Soros, and your first reaction is “I GOTTA SHARE THIS!!!!” then you’re a weapons grade moron and you deserve everything you get. Fuck these people.
  #29  
Old 11-08-2019, 06:17 AM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,034
I knew there was a reason I don't post on Facebook.

Actually, I just never got into it. I have a page because some online courses demanded I open one, but I never really used it. I don't see the appeal.

Yeah, Zuckerberg sucks. Most billionaires do.
  #30  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
This loses something in print. I'll try to finesse it:

"You can all go to HELL;" <gluglugluglug> "never complain again, dumb b<hic!>bitch fuckersh! You people are fucking SHLAVESH." <BELCH> <vomit> <blackout>
  #31  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I don't really. Don't even live there. Although I have contemplated moving to Colorado to start a weed plantation. But I'm probably too old for that now. I'm flouncing as we speak.
Good decision. Look at what it did to Randy Marsh.
  #32  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:30 AM
saje is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 2,275
I like FB, I find it useful for certain things.

I also have all the ads blocked, I take every "news" item posted with a giant handful of salt, and take into consideration the source. If something piques my interest/worry/outrage I will go and research whatever it is. I'm not a slave or a sheep, TYVM. I'm a reasonably educated consumer taking marginal risks with my private info in return for an online platform I like.

Get over yourself, asahi.
  #33  
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
In another thread we learn that six-year olds are taking guns to school in response to seeing their drunk dads point the guns, in jest, at mom. Do you blame the six-year old, or the drunk dad? Or the multi-million dollar Lie Machine that preaches that keeping a gun handy is cheaper than Viagra?

Now, apply that same thought experiment changing "six year-old" to "average redneck voter" and "taking guns to school" to "voting for criminals."

Oh? Typical Trump voters are smarter than the average six-year old? OK, change it to "eight-year old" for the thought experiment.
There's a disconnect here somewhere.
If a six year old brought a gun to school because they got the idea from their dad, that would be, at least in part, the dad's fault and I know that's the answer your looking for. But 6 year olds aren't voting based on political ads shown on facebook's platform. Adults that can, and should, be allowed to make their own decisions are.
If your post had been '30 year olds are bringing guns to their workplace because someone told them it would be a good idea.', then who would you blame? The person that showed up to work with a gun or the person who told them it would be a good idea?

Comparing voters and political ads to a six year old with a gun and a drunk dad hardly seems fair.
A father clearly shouldn't be doing anything that could make his 6 year old think bringing a gun to school is a good idea, but that's not what's happening here.
  #34  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 26,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Anger is the emotion one feels when they see something wrong, something that shouldn't be. It is what motivates us to try and change those things.

So what the fuck is wrong with being angry about "bad people"? If the guy is doing something bad, why shouldn't he be angry?

Oh, and asahi's flaw is getting too despaired and hopeless about things. Getting angry is an improvement.
He's a rageaholic, and he needs to be kept away from the rageahol.
  #35  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:20 AM
MeanJoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,329
I use Facebook, have it open in a tab on my personal computer all day. Also check it on my mobile phone many times per day. It is how my friends and family communicate. I think it is great but like anything it can and is abused.

Personally, instead of trying to decide if political ads are true or not and then take action to remove them I would prefer that Facebook simply bans all political ads. I realize that will never happen, ever, but life would be just the slightest bit less noisy.
__________________
Father to sassy girls. Husband to a mad wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  #36  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
You forgot to use "sheeple", -5 points.
  #37  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 9,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Howja like that World Series, Octy?
I get my entertainment from reading your descriptions of space geometry.
  #38  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Joey P is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 29,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
I use Facebook, have it open in a tab on my personal computer all day. Also check it on my mobile phone many times per day. It is how my friends and family communicate. I think it is great but like anything it can and is abused.

Personally, instead of trying to decide if political ads are true or not and then take action to remove them I would prefer that Facebook simply bans all political ads. I realize that will never happen, ever, but life would be just the slightest bit less noisy.
I agree it probably won't happen, at least not in the near future (or before the election), but it should be noted that Twitter just did exactly that a few days ago.
  #39  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
It is exhilarating to know you have so many things all figured out. And it is encouraging that you are willing to share with us your findings and conclusions. I can only apologize for our collective inability or unwillingness to follow your simple (so, so simple!) directives. No doubt you will address this too in the post-revolution flying tribunals, to make the world right again.
  #40  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rural Western PA
Posts: 33,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
I like FB, I find it useful for certain things.
I love Facebook. I just became a grandpa and was able to participate in things happening 1,000 miles away. I'll be looking at Facebook daily for a few weeks now, then I might stay away for a month.
  #41  
Old 11-08-2019, 09:44 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 19,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
I can look past you being angry with us, but how dare you insult our wives. I demand a full and unequivocal retraction.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #42  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:06 AM
digs's Avatar
digs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
Ahh, this place will be so much quieter now. Because of course asahi will be taking his own advice and never complaining again.


Though I do agree that someone should be fact-checking political ads. Especially on Facebook, where people who are swayed by lies hang out.
  #43  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 AM
kaylasdad99 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 32,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
I like FB, I find it useful for certain things.

I also have all the ads blocked, I take every "news" item posted with a giant handful of salt, and take into consideration the source. If something piques my interest/worry/outrage I will go and research whatever it is. I'm not a slave or a sheep, TYVM. I'm a reasonably educated consumer taking marginal risks with my private info in return for an online platform I like.

Get over yourself, asahi.
You DO? That's awesome that that can be done. Could you teach me how?

I started I Can Do Without Seeing Any Ad Pages At All, Thankyouverymuch six and a half years ago, but it isn't getting much traction.

Probably because people already know how to block all ads, like you. I'd really prefer to do it your way. So, yeah, can you teach me?
  #44  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 82,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Anger is the emotion one feels when they see something wrong, something that shouldn't be. It is what motivates us to try and change those things.

So what the fuck is wrong with being angry about "bad people"? If the guy is doing something bad, why shouldn't he be angry?

Oh, and asahi's flaw is getting too despaired and hopeless about things. Getting angry is an improvement.
Asahi isn't changing anything. He's just yelling on the internet about something he heard on the internet. He's an echo.

Asahi is part of the problem.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 11-08-2019 at 10:33 AM.
  #45  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:48 AM
Jackmannii's Avatar
Jackmannii is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: the extreme center
Posts: 32,288
"Deceit" in political ads is like holding or pass interference in football (happens on virtually every play/in every ad).

I get a boot out of the weekly (or more than weekly) roundup of Pinocchios/pants-on-fire media evaluations of politicians' claims in the paper, or read them online.

Maybe Facebook could offer to run stuff like that at a markedly reduced rate or free of charge, and let semi-independent organizations be responsible for fact-checking.* I'm more comfortable with that than having faceless Facebook drones censor political ad content.

*there would still be screaming about that from political groups, mostly right of center. But no system is going to be perfect.
  #46  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:52 AM
cochrane is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Nekkid Pueblo
Posts: 22,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You all can go to hell; never complain again, dumb bitch fuckers! You people are fucking slaves.
How you doin'?
  #47  
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM
bump is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Yeah, Zuckerberg sucks. Most billionaires do.
I half wonder if the guy's probably high functioning autistic and in over his head; I mean, he did develop Facebook, but he's also shown that he's astoundingly clueless in a lot of ways for someone in charge of such a colossal business, and says and does very weird stuff (the same exact clothes all the time?)

Usually being the head of such a lucrative business is a lot like being a general in the military- you are as much politician as you are guy in charge/plotter of strategy. But Zuckerberg just seems like he flat out doesn't get a lot of this stuff- like he doesn't understand in some fundamental sense why someone would have a problem with the privacy issues, or that everyone can tell the difference between deceptive political ads, etc...

To me, he just seems so... off, that I have a hard time attributing it to any kind of malice or greed; it just seems like utter weirdness or some kind of condition.

If it was coming from Jeff Bezos, Larry Ellison, or even Bill Gates, I'd assume they were being colossal assholes. But Zuckerberg just seems too "special" to me to feel that way about what he says/does.
  #48  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Gary Kumquat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 4,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
In another thread we learn that six-year olds are taking guns to school in response to seeing their drunk dads point the guns, in jest, at mom. Do you blame the six-year old, or the drunk dad? Or the multi-million dollar Lie Machine that preaches that keeping a gun handy is cheaper than Viagra?
Fuck me, are you even pretending that this is somehow comparable?

On the one hand, you have the proposal that adults should be expected to check claims made on the internet.

On the other, we have...fuck it, I've no idea what point you're even trying to make. That if we expect adults to check internet facts for themselves, that we should hold children to account for taking guns to school. Or something? Fuck knows.

I know a lot of people have said this to you of late, but you really need to consider some time away from the internet.
  #49  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:11 AM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,630
I don't have a facebook. Wouldn't even know where to buy one. Who reads books these days???
  #50  
Old 11-08-2019, 11:41 AM
D_Odds is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queens
Posts: 12,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
You DO? That's awesome that that can be done. Could you teach me how?

I started I Can Do Without Seeing Any Ad Pages At All, Thankyouverymuch six and a half years ago, but it isn't getting much traction.

Probably because people already know how to block all ads, like you. I'd really prefer to do it your way. So, yeah, can you teach me?
Cute page. What I found funniest on the page was this:
Quote:
Related Pages

Like
Pakistani Cute Girls
Arts & Entertainment

Like
SMBC Comics
Entertainment Website

Like
Love Not Found
Book Series
Pakistani Cute Girls is a related page?

As for blocking ads, I use uBlock Origin and Ghostery on Chrome. Can't remember if it blocks the sponsored ads that look like regular posts, because I check FB maybe twice or thrice a week.

Also, while I don't want to seem a Zuckerberg apologist, why are we blaming the medium rather than the people creating and posting the lies? Are we really expecting FB to accurately vet every political ad at every level and become the arbiter between truth/non-truth/maybe-truthful-if-you-look-at-it-from-this-angle?
__________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017