Old 11-07-2019, 08:49 PM

OK Boomer!

Sooner!

I'm not the only one who thinks like this, am I?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Nah, I think of petulant children.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

While visiting her brother in Boston, my 21 year old niece (an OU graduate) was asked to leave a bar because she was too rowdy. (Too rowdy for a bar in Boston?) She downed the last half of her beer in one gulp, slammed the glass down, shouted "BOOMER SOONER!", and walked out.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Y'all have seen something I ain't seen yet?
Old 11-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Y'all have seen something I ain't seen yet?
Yes.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Nah, I think of petulant children.
OK boomer
Old 11-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Oh. Telling us old folks that we're old.

Samantha Stevens (aka Elizabeth Montgomery) once stared at Darrin, who had attempted to make cutting comments about Endora—references to her riding a broomstick, having a pointy hat, etc. She informed her husband "You can't insult a witch by implying that she's a witch!"
Old 11-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
That is possibly the least self-aware thing I've ever read.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
OK boomer
Okay Boxey.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Samantha Stevens (aka Elizabeth Montgomery) once stared at Darrin, who had attempted to make cutting comments about Endora—references to her riding a broomstick, having a pointy hat, etc. She informed her husband "You can't insult a witch by implying that she's a witch!"
No, not telling you that you're old. Dismissing boomers who have placed their fingers in their ears and refuse to accept facts, but nevertheless want to chide younger generations on how immature/naive they are.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Ok Boomer...
Old 11-07-2019, 11:54 PM

Lmao, thats ok kid, you'll get it one day.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

I think this is just an inevitable backlash to all of the complaints that have been directed at millennials for several years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
That is possibly the least self-aware thing I've ever read.
I agree. I'm a boomer and as I read that article I was thinking "I can see why younger people get mad at us when there are people saying stupid shit like this."
Old 11-08-2019, 12:00 AM

A boomer is a kangaroo in Strine.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 AM

I'm old and I think it's hysterical. I mean, I don't take offense to anything that doesn't apply to me and man, I've had basically exactly that reaction to some of my fellow olds, stubborn wrongheaded fucks, a lot of them. Can I use it if I'm a boomer too? Cuz I get it. Go, kids, go!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:11 AM

Yeah, should have put this in The Game Room.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:17 AM

Six white boomers,
snow white boomers.....
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

An equivalent reply to "OK Boomer" is "You so woke"
Old 11-08-2019, 12:47 AM

Y'all ought to call us Doomers, we've done such a miserable job of taking care of the planet.

I've argued against the anti-millennial BS from my generation so many times, I've got my rant down pat. Ticks me off, it does. "OK, Boomer" seems pretty mild to me.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think this is just an inevitable backlash to all of the complaints that have been directed at millennials for several years now.
It's the best possible response to any headline that starts with "Millennials Are Killing _________".
Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 AM

Us Gen X-ers have been struggling against the Boomers for decades. If the kids want to join the fray, who are we to object?

It won't be easy, though. As Soviet and Chinese dissidents discovered, it's almost impossible to start a revolution against an establishment that's convinced they're the revolutionaries.

Last edited by Alessan; 11-08-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 AM

Nah, we got a lot of things started, half assed it and got Reagan years comfortable while never noticing the dismantling of the world all around us. We got tired and a lot of that was due to intentional tactics to keep us distracted and we fell for it like the dog looking at your finger instead of what you're pointing at. Doesn't mean there aren't a lot of us still here who're still pissed off over having our generation's energy dissipated into mindless consumerism and pointless greed. If the younguns can find their voice and energy and get this party started I'm not gonna get all pissy because the "wrong" people accomplished the feat--the important thing is that shit gets fixed and I have no problem with those who have to live with the fallout being the ones who decide how they want things to go. That's fair.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:05 AM

(still mystified by why 'Sooner' is a clever reply)

I guess we GenX's get to go hey lets you and him fight???
Old 11-08-2019, 02:09 AM

Is "Boomer Sooner" some new Millennial meme? Google just links me to this jivey Albanian song.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:47 AM

It is just another faddy phrase. An ultimate ad hominem, shorthand for "you are old and therefore your opinion can be discounted", a handy catch-all to avoid having to defend what you actually say or do. It does have a use in that it identifies the user as the type of person who would use such a phrase. That's handy to know.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
It is just another faddy phrase. An ultimate ad hominem, shorthand for "you are old and therefore your opinion can be discounted", a handy catch-all to avoid having to defend what you actually say or do. It does have a use in that it identifies the user as the type of person who would use such a phrase. That's handy to know.
Ok, boomer.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
The origin story I read had it more likely to be wielded against millennials by the younger generation.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 11-08-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Ok, boomer.
It is handy isn't it? I can understand the attraction.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Boomers are responsible for President Trump. That in and of itself should be “‘nuff said.”

Last edited by jz78817; 11-08-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Boomers are responsible for President Trump. That in and of itself should be “‘nuff said.”
Not so fast. Among White male voters aged 18-49 (14% of the electorate) 34% voted for Clinton, 55% voted for Trump. (Among white women in the same age cohort, the percentages are almost exactly reversed!)

Would you like that stat better with a narrower age cohort than 18-49? Don't blame me: this is what you get after going to the bother of downloading Pew Report's "DetailedTables.zip."

(While at that site, I also downloaded 8-9-2018-Validated-voters-release-with-10-2-19-and-10-17-18-corrections.pdf and learned that only 6% of Trump voters had warm views of him in April 2016 but cold or neutral views in March 2018.)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Oh good, a new catch-phrase to promote divisiveness, anger and hostility. Because we don't fight among ourselves enough these days.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:45 AM

I wonder if Mr. Esiason's kids say it to him.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 11-08-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:

I agree. I'm a boomer and as I read that article I was thinking "I can see why younger people get mad at us when there are people saying stupid shit like this."
This. After a decade of watching Boomers dismissing the younger generation's campaigns to fight global warming, promote gun control, etc with "Hur hur they all eat Tide pods", frankly I consider a few similarly puerile and dismissive shots in the other direction well-deserved.

But then I'm a Gen-Xer so it's not my ox being gored either way.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's the best possible response to any headline that starts with "Millennials Are Killing _________".
Yeppers.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
This. After a decade of watching Boomers dismissing the younger generation's campaigns to fight global warming, promote gun control, etc with "Hur hur they all eat Tide pods", frankly I consider a few similarly puerile and dismissive shots in the other direction well-deserved.

But then I'm a Gen-Xer so it's not my ox being gored either way.
Being gen x is weird. Boomers call us “millennials,” millennials call us “boomers.” So we get to fling crap at everyone.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 AM

Over here I see Brexit as a huge big "fuck you" from the old to the young. Add in the issues with climate change and I have no problem at all with young people finally starting to realise that their "elders and betters" aren't going to help them.

I'm nearly in my forties and those Gen X/Boomers terms never really applied over here anyway but the principles are all the same. I suspect "respect your elders" is starting to be replaced by "gee, they really fucked us over didn't they".
Old 11-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Yeppers.
It was the NY Post, mind, but the funniest one was when they published “Millennials Are Killing the Manhattan Power Lunch.”
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I suspect "respect your elders" is starting to be replaced by "gee, they really fucked us over didn't they".
And of course the boomers were able to point at the generation before them for fucking them over regarding the cold war, the wartime generation did the same for their predecessors for dragging them into WW2, the generation before that for WW1 and the great depression and so on and so on. Each generation conveniently ignoring the technological, medical and political miracles brought about by their particular figures of hate.

The perception is that the world has gone to hell. I don't think it has. The world is a pretty good place right now. Could be better but unfortunately the myriad bad shit that has always happened can now be played instantly, at a higher volume to a bigger audience.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:47 AM

There you go, dismiss everything and then wonder why kids are turning away.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
There you go, dismiss everything and then wonder why kids are turning away.
'twas ever thus. I'm not saying they are wrong, just that they are no more right than any other previous generation was at their age.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The perception is that the world has gone to hell. I don't think it has. The world is a pretty good place right now.
I don't think you realise how much the young think about things like climate change, the Sixth Extinction and rising income inequality, and are not in agreement with your Rosling-tinted glasses view of the world.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Boomer in this context is only roughly an age group. It refers more to a set of attitudes, specifically right/center-right (including many "liberal") people who hold obstinate views about politics. It's not necessarily outright damaging views, but a particular set of views hostile to more fundamental systemic change, defending bad things as "just the way things are", or stating exhaustion with things like queer politics (e.g. nonbinary people is a common one). Not all Boomers fall under "ok boomer" and some millenials will sling it at other millenials (or zoomers at other zoomers/millenials), rarely, if they're viewed as having "boomery" attitudes.

It is definitely somewhat "the olds are bad and ruining/ruined things", but it more heavily refers to the set of attitude and norms generally most prevalent among boomers (and many Gen Xers) that created those conditions.

It's also meant to be snide and dismissive, it's basically a tame form of agitprop. The purpose to to rile people up by being somewhat innacurate and firing it from the hip and things that vaguely look like a correct target. It helps spread the political message. Reasoned debate is important at all, but other forms of communication have their place esp wrt motivation, fostering solidarity among the likeminded, mobilization, and message spreading. Like it's possible to both have nuanced views that you're capable of defending and snidely dismiss the same argument you've heard 300 times and are sick of.

One of my favorite illustrations of the mindset being targeted is this tweet:
https://twitter.com/seej500/status/1191369044336742400

Last edited by Jragon; 11-08-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:13 AM

OP: I'm not a college sports fan, so Boomer Sooner doesn't ping. I don't live in a box, so I get the reference, it's just not an immediate connection.

Quote:
Ok, boomer.
Noice!
Quote:
It is handy isn't it? I can understand the attraction.
Did you guys stage this? I'm LOLing myself purple! I read an article about the exchange in question. My old inner GenX thought, "uppidy little punk", but then my younger GenX chimed in with, "No, no...get his throat, girl! This is your world now, put that waster in a corner and get to it!" Boomers have jumped their shark.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I don't think you realise how much the young think about things like climate change, the Sixth Extinction and rising income inequality, and are not in agreement with your Rosling-tinted glasses view of the world.
The issues change, the youthful railing against the previous generation stays the same.

If you are referring to Hans Rosling then yeah, I'm pretty optimistic in general but not blind to the problems. Like he said.

Quote:
"People often call me an optimist, because I show them the enormous progress they didn't know about. That makes me angry. I'm not an optimist. That makes me sound naive. I'm a very serious “possibilist”. That’s something I made up. It means someone who neither hopes without reason, nor fears without reason, someone who constantly resists the overdramatic worldview. As a possibilist, I see all this progress, and it fills me with conviction and hope that further progress is possible. This is not optimistic. It is having a clear and reasonable idea about how things are. It is having a worldview that is constructive and useful.”
The talks I've heard from him were never about things being brilliant, nor of disaster being impossible. Just a view of how things have progressed and how they could continue to do so if we put our minds to it. Seems a reasonable overall view to take.

Last edited by Novelty Bobble; 11-08-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Being gen x is weird. Boomers call us “millennials,” millennials call us “boomers.” So we get to fling crap at everyone.
You guys really got caught in between, gotta grant it.

And never mind how I've seen debate about whether lumping current actual youths born after the turn of the millennium with the "millennials" label is fair or accurate.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 AM

honestly my view of the backlash against the Boomers is that it comes partly from the political climate ever, since, oh, maybe the Clinton presidency and the "Contract With America." All leading up to where we are now. My crack about Trump above wasn't strictly about who voted for him, but who does and still ardently supports him and think he's "making America great again."

because the Boomers seem to think THEY are what made America great. Not that we were uniquely fortunate to take advantage of the fact we came out of WWII relatively unscathed. Not that our economic competitors were in ruins to varying degrees. Not that we had years of pent up demand for manufactured goods and now had the money and people (Boomers' parents) to make them. Nope, it's because the Boomers were just so star-spangled awesome that they feel entitled to force this country to stay the way they (incorrectly) think it was when they were kids. They were born on third base, brag to everyone how they hit a triple, and won't go away. And appear to believe that if they can't force this country to stay the way they want it to be, they're damn sure going to fuck it up as thoroughly as they can for future generations.

Last edited by jz78817; 11-08-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
The author of that article is not a boomer. He was born in 1962; that's way too late. That's Obama's generation: the one that doesn't have an agreed-upon name.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
The author of that article is not a boomer. He was born in 1962; that's way too late. That's Obama's generation: the one that doesn't have an agreed-upon name.
Eh. That's late Boomer. Baby Boomers are usually defined as being born between 1946 and 1964, and Generation X from 1965-1980. It's not a perfect system and, funnily enough, puts my sisters and me in different generations. But it's close enough for government work.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Nah, we got a lot of things started, half assed it and got Reagan years comfortable while never noticing the dismantling of the world all around us. We got tired and a lot of that was due to intentional tactics to keep us distracted and we fell for it like the dog looking at your finger instead of what you're pointing at. Doesn't mean there aren't a lot of us still here who're still pissed off over having our generation's energy dissipated into mindless consumerism and pointless greed. If the younguns can find their voice and energy and get this party started I'm not gonna get all pissy because the "wrong" people accomplished the feat--the important thing is that shit gets fixed and I have no problem with those who have to live with the fallout being the ones who decide how they want things to go. That's fair.
+1
Old 11-08-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Nope, boomers go thru '64.