Old 11-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Is Cal-Stanford's "The Play" the greatest play in college football history?....

I was recently watching ESPN150, a panel discussing this play and other plays. I think this is the best play ever for a myriad of reasons, both before the play, during the play, and after the play. Here's some raw footage of the play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNmt0iSlRk

Here's the final minute of the game with Joe Starkey's call, the Cal radio guy (who was hilarious):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGl107O5r94

Here's a good write-up about it in Sports Illustrated.

https://www.si.com/vault/1983/09/01/...y-of-a-miracle

Before the play:

1) Great game. Back and forth. Elway overcomes 4th and 17 from his own 13-yardline with 53 seconds left, with a long pass about 30 yards downfield. He drives the ball into position for a FG.

2) Stanford 35-yard FG is good with 0:04 left (Mark Harmon, very good kicker). They go up 20-19. They called a timeout with 8 seconds left, and then kicked it. A big mistake by Elway in retrospect is not letting the clock run down so that the FG is a walk-off. By leaving 4 seconds, it gave Cal an opportunity to return a kickoff.

3) Stanford celebrates, and gets a penalty, backing their kickoff up to the 25, which put Cal 15 yards closer to the end zone when they were to receive the kick.

4) Prior to The Play, the other 59:56 of the game is enough already to be a classic in this heated rivalry. It would go down in local annals as a classic. But not a national classic. It took The Play for that to happen.

5) Cal's Richard Rodgers tells his teammates, "Don't go down with the ball in your hands. Don't let the ball die", as they get read to receive the kickoff from Stanford.

The Play:

1) Stanford squibs it so that Cal can't do a normal return.

2) Cal has a hard time getting a full 11 guys on the field. Their #3 runs on at the last minute, and hasn't even buckled his chin-strap. Their front wall, which is supposed to be 5 guys, is just 4 guys. But the squib bounces straight to Kevin Moen.

3) Moen, a former high school QB, throws a lateral overhanded to Richard Rodgers, who is a good 10-15 yards away and slightly behind Moen. #3 is between them, but gets out of the way so that Rodgers can receive the lateral-pass from Moen.

4) Rodgers turns upfield but quickly laterals, as #3 throws a block to keep Stanford off of Rodgers. His lateral is to Dwight Garner.

5) Garner gets surrounded and tackled, but he barely manages to get the ball away again to Richard Rodgers. It takes a number of Stanford players to bring him down, maybe 4 or so. And it appears his knee is down prior to the lateral. But no whistle is blown, and Rodgers springs out of the pile with the football to his right. A bunch of Stanford guys in tackling Garner have taken themselves away from the action. This will forever be the most controversial aspect of The Play. And if replay had been instituted, it might have been overturned. But in 1982, there was no replay. And even if there had been, I'm not sure the angle is enough to know for sure that his knee was down.

6) Mark Harmon thinks that Garner is down and that the play is over. He immediately jumps up and starts to celebrate. But he sees Rodgers squirt out of the pile, and realizes he has to get back into the play.

7) Rodgers shoots right and has a more open field, as so many Stanford guys are now not in position. Stanford closes in on him, and he laterials to Mariet Ford at about the 45 yardline of Stanford. Ford gets the lateral, and is now streaking down the field.

8) Multiple Stanford players, who thought the play had ended earlier are now on the field. A random Stanford player, who has run out of the field, realizes his mistake and falls down at the 35 yardline, as The Play runs right by him. Other Stanford players see their mistake, and run back to their sideline. It's been reported that some Cal players also stepped onto the field, although I've never seen a camera angle that showed it.

9) Ford gets trapped by Stanford players at around the 25, including Harmon, and gives himself up. He dives into the Stanford defenders and simultaneously does a completely blind lateral that actually ricochets off a Stanford helmet. The ball appears to go forward, but that's only because it bounced off a helmet. This is the second controversy, as Stanford thinks is a forward lateral. It's likely not, as the ricochet takes care of that.

10) Kevin Moen, who has been trailing the play, receives the incredible blind lateral, and is now in open field at the 25, except for one thing. The Stanford Band is all over the field.

11) The Band stretches from the back of the end zone out to about the 30. They're now unwitting blockers for Cal players, as The Play has progressed into this area of the field.

12) Not only is the Band on the field. But Stanford's Axe Committee is running around at about the 20, displaying the Axe that they think they've won. Photographers are also on the field, including a guy in the end zone who is about to get some of the most iconic photographs in the history of college football. The Play has devolved into complete chaos as Moen is now streaking into the crowd of band folks.

13) A Cal player blocks a Stanford player out of the way, clearing a path for Moen. The Band people start to flee, as they see Moen coming at them. A Stanford player is right behind Moen, and has a chance to tackle him at about the 10. But he seems to give up on the play. He slows down, and let's Moen go. Will this guy ever get over that decision? He probably thinks the play was over, and figured Moen was going on beyond the whistle.

14) Moen goes into the End Zone, jumps up into the air with exuberance, and comes crashing down on Gary Tyrrell, a Stanford Trombonist, who isn't even aware of what's happening. Tyrrell has his clock cleaned, and is lying supine on the astroturf in the end zone. The Play is over. Moen has scored a TD, and there is now no time left on the clock. But many people in the stadium, particularly Stanford people, don't realize it or don't think it will stand.

After the Play:

1) Moen peels off toward the goal post and starts to celebrate with his teammates, who pile into the end zone to celebrate with him.

2) A random guy in brown appears to steal the blue & gold padding off the goal post. As he runs away with it, he's tackled, and appears to be fighting another guy for the padding. Yards away, Cal players mob each other in celebration.

3) Stanford players stand on their sideline with their coaches. No one knows what the officials have decided.

4) The officials huddle at midfield. Cal and Stanford players crowd around them, and also random fans. Flags were thrown during the play. But none were on Cal. No whistles were blown. Garner was not called down. No illegal laterals were seen by the officials. They confer, and decide that The Play stands. Cal wins 25-20. There's absolute pandemonium that erupts from the players and random people who are standing by the Huddle.

5) A random guy in brown jumps up and down with his hands in the air, as the officials rule in Cal's favor. He turns toward the Stanford sideline and gets in the players' faces. One Stanford player confronts him and starts to push him, and other players intervene.

6) The Cal crowd pours out onto the field to celebrate. Stanford players and coaches are in shock on their sidelines and don't immediately leave. Some of them start to complain to the refs.

7) The Cal Axe committee tracks down the Axe, and takes it from the Stanford Axe Committee. They start to parade the Axe around the field.

8) Elway starts to leave, and has a run-in with a random Cal fan, who does a face-palm in front of him. Elway appears to either flip a bird at him, or point at him. His head coach, Paul Wiggin, reaches out to intervene. He is also walking off the field. See link:
https://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...e-the-play-axe

9) Pure Pandemonium ensues after the most shocking and chaotic ending in college football history.

10) 4 days after The Play, Stanford plays a prank on Cal, hijacking their student newspaper with a fake version that claims that the NCAA has overturned The Play and awarded the game to Stanford. Some Cal folks fall for it.

11) Gary Tyrrell and Kevin Moen are now locked together in history, and will be interviewed about this over and over for the rest of their lives. They are now friends and have given talks/interviews together.

12) John Elway goes on to a great professional career, as one of the greatest QB's ever in the history of the game, including 2 Super Bowl Championships. But his college career is wrecked by Cal, not just in 1982, but in some previous years as well.

13) Joe Kapp, the Cal coach, stays around through 1986. In 1982, he was a first-year coach and Cal alum. Paul Wiggin, a Stanford alum, is fired in 1983 during a 1-10 Stanford season. It takes him many years to get over The Play. To this day, he still has a flat-top haircut, circa 1959.

The Play: The Greatest ending in college football history.

Last edited by survinga; 11-09-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 AM

reported for forum change
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Please do, if it needs to be moved.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:26 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by survinga View Post
Please do, if it needs to be moved.
Cal fans want it in The Game Room, Stanford fans want The Pit.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

Understood.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:50 AM

I watched it live, with my Dad, a Cal grad. It was nuts.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I don't think we'll ever see a game end this way again. It's not just that it was a wild lateral play. It's the band, the axe committee, photographers, and random players all coming onto the field. It's random fans taunting Stanford players. It official huddles with players and fans standing there listening to all of it. It's Elway missing a bowl game (again) due to Cal. It's a radio call, where the announcer doesn't even do the slightest to describe the play itself, as even he is confused.

More than anything, it's absolute chaos and affirmation of Murphy's Law.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:58 PM

It really pissed off Elway (for many years), so yeah, it was great.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM

I remember as a student there ten years later people still talking about it like some kind of Second Coming, and I remember every fall that fight-song in the OP video, but most of all I remember that the Stanford band were never as clever as they thought they were, and that moment really proved it.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I listened to it on the radio.

And yes, best football play ever. Go Bears.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post

Cal fans win this one.

Moving thread from IMHO to the Game Room.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:41 PM

I think it was definitely the wildest ending, but the best play I've ever seen was the Statue of Liberty play that Boise St ran on OU to win the Fiesta Bowl. And Boise State's hook-and-ladder to close the game in regulation was a very, very close second, IMO.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickerman View Post
It really pissed off Elway (for many years), so yeah, it was great.
Heh, heh, heh.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
I remember as a student there ten years later people still talking about it like some kind of Second Coming, and I remember every fall that fight-song in the OP video, but most of all I remember that the Stanford band were never as clever as they thought they were, and that moment really proved it.
If I remember correctly the next year members of the Stanford band wore helmets to that game.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:33 PM

That ending was certainly nuts. To this day every time I see that play I crack up (in particular at Joe Starkey's "the band is out on the field!") and I have to rewind it and play it several times (if I can) to get it out of my system.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:47 PM

Then there's this

Very unfortunate: https://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroich...er-2763807.php
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
1) I always liked them, even if the jokes weren't always that great. 2) My husband was a 'bone player, so that's my story

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
If I remember correctly the next year members of the Stanford band wore helmets to that game.
Hell - years later Cal fans were throwing frozen oranges at Stanford fans when I was there. The Cal game is not for wimps.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I think it was definitely the wildest ending, but the best play I've ever seen was the Statue of Liberty play that Boise St ran on OU to win the Fiesta Bowl. And Boise State's hook-and-ladder to close the game in regulation was a very, very close second, IMO.
Thanks for mentioning that. Wow, that is some game: Boise State Upsets Oklahoma: A Game to Remember

Quote:
They're going to go for two guys. I'm telling you they are tired, but listen, if you are Cinderella at a certain point you don't keep slugging with the big guy. They're going to try and win the game right now.
And one of those moments you wouldn't dare put in a movie script - the guy that made the last reception proposes to the head cheerleader during his post match interview.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

If this isn't the greatest play in college football history, it's certainly the runner-up. Miami-Boston College: Doug Flutie's last-second "Hail Mary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ykWbu2Gl0).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
If this isn't the greatest play in college football history, it's certainly the runner-up. Miami-Boston College: Doug Flutie's last-second "Hail Mary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ykWbu2Gl0).
Fantastic play -- no doubt about it. I remember watching that game as a kid.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 PM

The best play ever? No cameras caught Alley Oop's header and grab of an entire brontosaur in the Muvian vs Atlantean '06 classic.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
John Elway goes on to a great professional career, as one of the greatest QB's ever in the history of the game, including 2 Super Bowl Championships.
And Mark Harmon goes on to brutally murder some 30 young women in a TV movie.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:12 AM

You forgot a few things:

Before the play 2.5 - a representative from the Hall of Fame Bowl tells the Stanford coach that they're pretty much got an invitation to the game

After the play 0.5 - the same representative pretty much shrugs his shoulders at the Stanford coach. The bowl spot went to Air Force. Stanford never went to a bowl game in John Elway's four years. Then again, neither did Cal.

After, 14 - whenever Stanford wins The Axe back from Cal, pretty much the first thing it does is to change the score of that game that is on the plaque The Axe is on to "Stanford 20, Cal 19." When Cal wins it back, it is changed back to Cal 25, Stanford 20.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You forgot a few things:

Before the play 2.5 - a representative from the Hall of Fame Bowl tells the Stanford coach that they're pretty much got an invitation to the game

After the play 0.5 - the same representative pretty much shrugs his shoulders at the Stanford coach. The bowl spot went to Air Force. Stanford never went to a bowl game in John Elway's four years. Then again, neither did Cal.

After, 14 - whenever Stanford wins The Axe back from Cal, pretty much the first thing it does is to change the score of that game that is on the plaque The Axe is on to "Stanford 20, Cal 19." When Cal wins it back, it is changed back to Cal 25, Stanford 20.
Yes, how could I not mention that Stanford changes that score whenever they get the Axe? Thanks for mentioning that.

I did mention that Elway was denied a bowl, but thanks for the extra info. It just adds more description to the chaos.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
During The Play, they were wearing those white hard hats to protect against fruit being thrown at them.

Check out this angle. This is a picture apparently taken from the stands during the climax of the play. Can you imagine a live football play that is about to collide with this mass of humanity? If you look closely, it appears the ball is in mid-air from being lateraled during this picture.

http://www.theplaymovie.com/

There was a movie made about The Play a few years ago, which is from the link above.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

One thing I've never understood: Everyone says that the Stanford band hurt their team, by "acting as extra blockers", i.e., they were interfering with the Stanford athletes' movements.

But wouldn't they have been interfering with both teams' movements? How can we be sure that their presence wasn't, on net, a benefit to their team?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
One thing I've never understood: Everyone says that the Stanford band hurt their team, by "acting as extra blockers", i.e., they were interfering with the Stanford athletes' movements.

But wouldn't they have been interfering with both teams' movements? How can we be sure that their presence wasn't, on net, a benefit to their team?
Well, let's start with this. Cal scored a touchdown. That doesn't prove that the Band acted as blockers by itself. But it's evidence to that effect.

And if you look at the third link I provided in the original post, here's a quote from Stanford player Mike Noble, the guy who probably could've tackled Moen at the 10 yardline....

"The only player with a reasonably unobstructed view of the proceedings was Noble, running in futile pursuit of Moen through his own school band. "I didn't know what was going on," says Noble. "At one point I may have had a shot at him, but it was a madhouse out there. Once I hit the band I slowed down. I didn't know where the end zone was, but I figured the band must be in it.""

To me, that's an admission that Noble stopped because of the band. Their presence ended his pursuit....unwitting blockers....
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 AM

Definitely related to The Play is the following question. Suppose a player running full tilt at his 40 yard line tosses the ball to a teammate at the 39 also running full tilt. But with the forward momentum of the players and the ball the ball is caught when the receiver is at the 41. Is that a legitimate lateral pass? I have watched the play many times and, while I am not certain about this, I think some of those laterals were of that nature.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Dave Wyman is a former NFL linebacker (mostly for the Seahawks but he also played a couple of years with the Broncos). He’s currently a sports radio host in the Seattle area and also does radio analysis for Seahawks games. He was on that Stanford team for that game and maintains that “The Play” was still the worst moment in his football career and still stings. He also maintains a grudge against the Stanford band (though apparently that started before that game).
Old 11-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I did mention that Elway was denied a bowl, but thanks for the extra info. It just adds more description to the chaos.
Also note that, two years earlier, there was a Peach Bowl representative at the game, and Stanford was considered pretty much a lock for it if it beat Cal - and it had first and goal late in the game (and needed a touchdown), but got stuffed; Elway was a much better long passer at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
Definitely related to The Play is the following question. Suppose a player running full tilt at his 40 yard line tosses the ball to a teammate at the 39 also running full tilt. But with the forward momentum of the players and the ball the ball is caught when the receiver is at the 41. Is that a legitimate lateral pass? I have watched the play many times and, while I am not certain about this, I think some of those laterals were of that nature.
If the ball went forward, then it's a forward pass, regardless of where (a) the thrower aimed it, or (b) the receiver was located when the ball was released.

What some people forget is, in college, the game cannot end on a penalty against the offense, so if an illegal forward pass would have been called, Stanford would have accepted it (otherwise, the touchdown counts, and Cal wins), and Cal would get one more play - and if it was close enough, could kick a field goal to win 22-20.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:17 PM

I can't disagree with OP, but I'm putting up the Kick 6 Alabama vs Auburn game.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

What some people forget is, in college, the game cannot end on a penalty against the offense, so if an illegal forward pass would have been called, Stanford would have accepted it (otherwise, the touchdown counts, and Cal wins), and Cal would get one more play - and if it was close enough, could kick a field goal to win 22-20.
If you go to my 2nd link in the original post, you can see at least one Cal player step onto the field during the play - something I had read but had never noticed until today. It seems that when Garner was corraled, players on the sidelines from both teams thought the play was over. Stanford also has a player laying on the field, who came on illegally around their own 35, plus their band.

Perhaps the textbook correct call would've been offsetting penalties on both teams for illegal participation, and therefore, a rekick?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
It deserves discussion. I think the Kick Six had a bigger national impact obviously. And it was a unique ending when it occurred (not the first ever kick six, but maybe the first ever game-ending walk-off kick six).

I think the thing that makes The Play my choice is the overall chaos during the play and after the play. To me, it's not something that can ever be repeated. Lateral plays have occurred since and will occur again - although this might have been the first.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
And Mark Harmon goes on to brutally murder some 30 young women in a TV movie.
Different Mark Harmon. That Mark Harmon was QB for UCLA. This Mark Harmon was kicker for Cal (Berkley). And that Mark Harmon played in the 70's.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Different Mark Harmon. That Mark Harmon was QB for UCLA. This Mark Harmon was kicker for Cal (Berkley). And that Mark Harmon played in the 70's.
Yes, different Mark Harmon...Stanford Kicker. Not Cal kicker, and not UCLA QB.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:02 AM

As a Michigan State alum, I have to go with the 2015 game-ending punt fumble by Michigan. That one had it all, last play of the game, big rivalry, improbable miscue and scoring a TD as time expires.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
As a Michigan State alum, I have to go with the 2015 game-ending punt fumble by Michigan. That one had it all, last play of the game, big rivalry, improbable miscue and scoring a TD as time expires.
OmG - that was fantastic. Any time I see that highlight on T.V. I have to play it over and over.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
That was an amazing play. Not only did he fumble the snap, but then he threw it right to an MSU guy. Simply amazing way to finish a game.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
9) Ford gets trapped by Stanford players at around the 25, including Harmon, and gives himself up. He dives into the Stanford defenders and simultaneously does a completely blind lateral that actually ricochets off a Stanford helmet. The ball appears to go forward, but that's only because it bounced off a helmet. This is the second controversy, as Stanford thinks is a forward lateral. It's likely not, as the ricochet takes care of that.
I'm not buying that. The ball appears to travel unimpeded from the 27-yard-line to the 25-yard-line. It was an illegal forward pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy
What some people forget is, in college, the game cannot end on a penalty against the offense . . .
That rule makes an exception, however, for penalties against the offense that entail loss of down. Illegal forward pass is one such penalty.

For weird plays, I've always been a fan of the Flea Kicker, just for the random accidental weirdness of it. And the fact that when you first see it at live speed, you have no idea what happened.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Guys....its the announcing that makes it the greatest play ever.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

I was in the stands at that game, as a Cal student. My friends and I were part of a very large group of Cal fans (maybe the majority among students?) who did not really care much about the football, but went to every home game to enjoy the snacks, sun and substances. Because of the intervening years and maybe the substances, I rarely think about that play or that game, but I can tell you that at the time it was a total blast to be there. None of us were sure what had happened, but we knew it was crazy, and we flooded the field and the streets afterwards in a joyous celebration. It's probably important, too, to understand the bitterness of that rivalry. Even beyond football, Stanford and Stanford students were thoroughly detested by everyone I knew. It was an elite, expensive private school (still is, of course), while Berkeley was public and inexpensive. Even though Berkeley was considered the flagship of the UC system, it was still a UC school, and at that time in-state tuition was only a few hundred dollars a semester, and if you had a certain high school GPA and test scores, you were guaranteed admission to one of the UC schools, and usually your first or second choice. A large proportion of Berkeley students were at Berkeley either because they were rejected at Stanford, or couldn't afford it. Or both. We were all very sure that Berkeley gave the equivalent (or superior) education, but Stanford students absolutely were NOT in agreement with that. They treated us with condescending pity, and we treated them with angry resentment.

So it wasn't just a football rivalry, but a much deeper and wider rivalry. All that made this unusual victory all the sweeter. T-shirts with the play diagrammed on them appeared on campus within a week.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Not a college game, but my favourite for weirdest game-ender is still the CFL game between the Montreal Alouettes and the Toronto Argos back in 2010, where a missed field goal by Montreal on the last play of the game ends with a Montreal touchdown.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

Last edited by Northern Piper; 11-11-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy the Pig View Post
I'm not buying that. The ball appears to travel unimpeded from the 27-yard-line to the 25-yard-line. It was an illegal forward pass.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/...-in-palo-alto/

quoting from the link:

Many insist the final lateral that came from Cal’s Mariet Ford appeared to be a forward lateral, which called for a penalty.

When Vogt interviewed Kapp, a couple of Cal players from that ’82 season were present.

“They had some game tapes on 16-millimeter from the ’82 Big Game there,” Vogt said. “They had never seen the tapes before. I asked if I could use them. I blew the film up and you can see Ford’s lateral glancing off a helmet. That’s why it looks forward.”
Old 11-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I came in here to mention this one. It gets my vote. The stakes were much higher, it was on a bigger stage, and the rivalry and absurdity of the whole thing is about the same as the Cal-Stanford play.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeu View Post
I was in the stands at that game, as a Cal student. My friends and I were part of a very large group of Cal fans (maybe the majority among students?) who did not really care much about the football, but went to every home game to enjoy the snacks, sun and substances. Because of the intervening years and maybe the substances, I rarely think about that play or that game, but I can tell you that at the time it was a total blast to be there. None of us were sure what had happened, but we knew it was crazy, and we flooded the field and the streets afterwards in a joyous celebration. It's probably important, too, to understand the bitterness of that rivalry. Even beyond football, Stanford and Stanford students were thoroughly detested by everyone I knew. It was an elite, expensive private school (still is, of course), while Berkeley was public and inexpensive. Even though Berkeley was considered the flagship of the UC system, it was still a UC school, and at that time in-state tuition was only a few hundred dollars a semester, and if you had a certain high school GPA and test scores, you were guaranteed admission to one of the UC schools, and usually your first or second choice. A large proportion of Berkeley students were at Berkeley either because they were rejected at Stanford, or couldn't afford it. Or both. We were all very sure that Berkeley gave the equivalent (or superior) education, but Stanford students absolutely were NOT in agreement with that. They treated us with condescending pity, and we treated them with angry resentment.

So it wasn't just a football rivalry, but a much deeper and wider rivalry. All that made this unusual victory all the sweeter. T-shirts with the play diagrammed on them appeared on campus within a week.
I thought so. I've been telling my wife that Cal students are convinced that their education is every bit as good as those who go to Stanford and that they very much resent Stanford people's attitude towards them.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I came in here to mention this one. It gets my vote. The stakes were much higher, it was on a bigger stage, and the rivalry and absurdity of the whole thing is about the same as the Cal-Stanford play.
That was a crazy play in its own right (all the better that it beat 'bama) but I still take "The Play," mostly because of "the band is out on the field!"
Old 11-11-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, different Mark Harmon...Stanford Kicker. Not Cal kicker, and not UCLA QB.
Yeah, I meant to put Stanford Kicker in my post, not Cal.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I immediately thought of this play as #1.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:30 PM

Can I throw in the last play of the 2007 Appalacian State v. Michigan game where App
State blocks a 37 yard field goal try with 6 seconds left for one of the biggest upsets of all time in college football.

Hell, the radio call is enough to lift my spirits.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
That was an amazing play. Not only did he fumble the snap, but then he threw it right to an MSU guy. Simply amazing way to finish a game.
For me the best part was the look on Harbaugh’s face.