Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Total MPSIMS: Cooking Show Waste

Maybe once a month I bust out the food processor to do some bulk grinding (mostly nuts, crackers and cookies for baking purposes). I am not a power-user by any stretch of the imagination. Yet the bowl of the Cuisinart is thoroughly etched with micro-scratches that make it more cloudy than clear.

So it got me to thinking... every cooking show has a SPARKLING CLEAN bowl for their food processor, every time they chop anything. They must keep a stock of fresh bowls on hand. What happens to all of the food processor bowls that are no longer pretty enough for TV? That seems like an insane waste that just never occurred to me before.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:13 PM

If they're not pretty enough for TV, they probably go to work in radio instead.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 PM

I think all the actual food that is wasted on those shows is a bigger tragedy than the bowls.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM

If you pay attention, EVERYTHING is sparkling and new on TV shows- pans, pots, electric appliances, etc...

I suspect that the manufacturers, or maybe major retailers provide them as a sort of product placement, and if I had to guess, I'd bet they're distributed among the cast, crew and producers when they're not quite TV caliber pretty anymore, but still perfectly functional.

That said, I doubt every shot with a skillet on "Good Eats" required a brand new All-Clad skillet. It's likely that they probably did a combination of things, including using the pretty stuff for the prep and initial cooking shots, and the older stuff for the actual cooking needed for later shots of the finished product. And I'm sure that if they could clean it without scratching it, they did.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I think all the actual food that is wasted on those shows is a bigger tragedy than the bowls.
I saw a news story on CBS Sunday Morning about America's Test Kitchen, and it showed a refrigerator containing leftovers from the show production, so those who work there could take the food home.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I saw a news story on CBS Sunday Morning about America's Test Kitchen, and it showed a refrigerator containing leftovers from the show production, so those who work there could take the food home.
Yep. And everything ATK does, Cooks Country does, too, since they're really just the same show.

I seem to remember hearing that Good Eats did something similar.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Scratched food processor bowls would be wasted only if they went directly to a landfill. Since most folks on a cooking show would, I hope, know how to use those items AND would know their approximate relative worth, I'd highly doubt they just get chucked in the dumpster. (And if they did, you know it would get fished out later ..)

At least, I hope the crew knows something about food. Can you imagine if the sound guy for Martha Stewart would burn water if he tried to cook?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
That's pretty cool. I wonder if Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen do the same thing?
Old 04-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

I saw a Master Chef Jr. not too long ago where all the kids had to get into a giant trifle and feel around for game tokens or something, and I was wondering if that was a real trifle, and if so, who had to make all that cake and pudding, knowing a bunch of kids were just going to stomp around in it?

Also, why do people think kids want to be drenched in goo or see it happen to someone else? That would have upset me at any age.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:03 PM

You would not believe the waste that goes in dumpsters. Google, dumpster divers.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
You would not believe the waste that goes in dumpsters. Google, dumpster divers.
My BiL was a grocery store manager for years before moving up. He said that company policy was to pour bleach or ammonia on the dumpsters to prevent folks from diving. Fear of liability of a diver got sick for their "catch of the day".
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
My BiL was a grocery store manager for years before moving up. He said that company policy was to pour bleach or ammonia on the dumpsters to prevent folks from diving. Fear of liability of a diver got sick for their "catch of the day".
There's no liability if someone ate a bleach soaked loaf of bread?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
There's no liability if someone ate a bleach soaked loaf of bread?
If I had to guess, I'd think it would be along the lines of considering it to be a donation or giveaway if they put perfectly edible food in a dumpster with knowledge that local homeless would eat it. Kind of an assumption that it was being done with a wink and a nod.

If they're thought to be doing that, then they'd be considered liable if one of those people got sick, and since homeless people aren't known for hygiene, rational thought or good health, they probably don't want to hang their asses out for every plaintiff's lawyer who found a sick homeless guy who *happened* to eat that thrown out food.

Remember, that even if that homeless guy wasn't actually sickened by their food, they still have to go through all the legal gyrations to prove that in court, or settle out of court.

So by putting bleach on it, they render it inedible, and avoid all that cost and trouble.

I suspect that a court would say that the store wasn't liable for some idiot who would eat the food that was clearly rendered inedible by bleach.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 AM

TV cameras are actually fairly bad compared to your real eyeballs, so what counts as 'sparkling clean' on camera may be somewhat grungy.
And yes, many of those products are donated in exchange for being seen on camera.