Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM

While in the office, where do you keep your smartphone?

I've always kept it in my purse, under my desk. This is because, even though we have some security in this office, it's not perfect. If I keep the phone in view on my desk, there's always a chance it will be stolen. However, if I keep it in my purse, I'm not reminded to keep looking at it for notifications and texts after I return from walking around the office. This is becoming an issue because my boss sometimes texts me about work when she's at home.

So I guess I'll keep it somewhere on my desktop, contriving to keep it somewhat hidden from general view but visible to me. I just know I'm going to forget it when I go home, though.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Theft is a non-issue in my office, there are only 15 of us here. I keep it on my desk next to my laptop and it's plugged in and charging for a portion of every day.

People will really steal your phone off your desk?

Last edited by corkboard; 04-16-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

On my desk. It's the most convenient second factor for the two-factor authentication for the myriad systems and servers I have to access throughout the day.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:30 PM

I work in a very small office and no one here wants, or is going to steal, my phone. I keep it on a stack of letterhead since it's both conveniently close and also lessens the vibration should anyone call versus it rattling across my desk.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
Theft is a non-issue in my office, there are only 15 of us here. I keep it on my desk next to my laptop and it's plugged in and charging for a portion of every day.

We have visitors, workmen, clients, etc. frequently in our office. Before we took greater security precautions, we'd have issues with people coming in from the street dressed like an office worker (tie and jacket), and they'd steal purses and laptops. It's a lot better now, but I am still uneasy about leaving my phone out.

My husband works for a major corporation and security is very tight at his office. His phone is always on his desk in plain sight, and he's miffed that I miss his texts due to my phone being stashed in my purse.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

I don't have a smart phone and my cheapie flip phone doesn't work in this building anyway, but many of my coworkers keep their phones on their desks, usually with headphones so they can listen to music while working. On the rare occasions when they get personal calls, they leave the office and head into the parking lot. I've never heard of any theft issues.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:23 PM

I don't understand the fear of theft. I keep my phone on my desk right next to me. When I get up and leave my desk, I take it with me. Doesn't everybody do that?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:46 PM

When I'm at my desk it's on a little stand like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....yL._SY550_.jpg
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM

I always cary mine in the front left pocket of my pants.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
On my desk. It's the most convenient second factor for the two-factor authentication for the myriad systems and servers I have to access throughout the day.
Not "most convenient" for me, it's actually the only one. A couple of years ago they made us all switch from RSA hard tokens to the phone app. I've had a few mornings where I got to work and realized I left my phone at home, and had to drive back home to get it. Otherwise I'm not getting logged in! (Good thing work and home are only about five minutes apart.)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
This. It's sitting on my desk and charging it. I need to access it too frequently throughout the day for anything else to make sense for me.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

It's either on my desk (it also doubles as my work phone, so it's in use a lot), or in the "dad holster" on my belt.

We have pretty good security in our offices (due to the need for data security), and I'm in a private office, so the odds of a rando swiping my phone off my desk when I'm sitting right there are very low. If I leave my desk, my phone comes with me.
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Either on my desk or plugged into the multi-port charging station at the front of the classroom.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post

Pretty much the same for me. Small place, not too many employees, my phone is on my desk (between me and the keyboard right now). I'm up and moving a lot. During those times it's in my hand or my back pocket.

I'm surprised at how often phones are stolen as well. They have to be one of the easiest items to track that most people have. If you walk off with my phone, I can pull it up on a map and figure out exactly where it is, within what, 20 feet or so.
One thing I'd like to see done is if your phone is stolen and you never find it, that the carrier would turn it off permanently. That way even if someone manages to do a factory reset before you can track it, it's still of no use to them.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I don't understand the fear of theft. I keep my phone on my desk right next to me. When I get up and leave my desk, I take it with me. Doesn't everybody do that?
When I leave my desk, it's generally to take files and documents (yes, we're in a stone-age paper office) to one of my bosses, so my hands are full. Most of my slacks, like a lot of women's slacks, have no pockets, and I don't have a dad holster or even a mom holster.

I'm not techie enough to suddenly know how to track my phone if it's stolen. I suppose I'd immediately call my husband, who knows how to do this, and have him track it.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 PM

I get work orders via email, so my phone is always with me. It's either on my desk or in my pocket when I leave the office.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:18 PM

While I'm sitting at my desk, it's on the desktop in front of me. When I get up (to go to a meeting, the bathroom, lunch, whatever), I put in in my pocket. In meetings, I either set it on the table in front of me, or have it in my hands so I can browse the web, depending on how interesting the meeting is
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
When I leave my desk, it's generally to take files and documents (yes, we're in a stone-age paper office) to one of my bosses, so my hands are full. Most of my slacks, like a lot of women's slacks, have no pockets, and I don't have a dad holster or even a mom holster.
Yeah, I forgot about the "no pockets" thing. They still do that? I mean, no clothing manufacturer has come out with "our pants have POCKETS!"
Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Pocket. 99 percent of the time.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:25 PM

I can trust everyone in my office.

My wife doesn’t want to spend money on replacing the phone and my kids would be missing desserts until they are 35 if they took it, so we are all good.

In my previous job, I had pants pockets or could leave in on my desk.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

In my hand, usually. There's nothing much to do in the office except play on my phone.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 AM

Thankfully, I dont gotta worry about theft. I keep it right beside my computer. If I'm busy, I just flip it over such that the backside of the phone faces me/up. That way, I can ignore notifications even when the phone is on silent.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 AM

I found a cute leather phone holder on a long shoulder strap. I wear that.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

In one of the phone lockers* scattered around the outside of secure areas, or outside in my truck. If taken into a secure area (even accidentally) it will be taken from me, unlocked, and all texts, pictures, etc downloaded for later examination by security personnel. I'm very nervous about taking it through the wrong door, so I often just leave it in the truck. If working in the white-world, I can keep it at my desk.

*Like lockers in a bus station, only smaller. You put your phone/pad inside, lock it and keep the key with you until the end of the day.

Last edited by pullin; 04-17-2019 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

There are hundreds of people where I work. My phone is in my pocket unless I plug it into my PC to charge. When I do that I just leave it on my desk, often for hours. Sometimes I go out for lunch and leave it charging. Phones on desks are a pretty common sight at work and I have never heard of one being stolen. Quite the opposite, once in a while an email will go out trying to find an owner for a phone left in a kitchen or bathroom. You do require a security pass to get in the building.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Not "most convenient" for me, it's actually the only one. A couple of years ago they made us all switch from RSA hard tokens to the phone app. I've had a few mornings where I got to work and realized I left my phone at home, and had to drive back home to get it. Otherwise I'm not getting logged in! (Good thing work and home are only about five minutes apart.)
We still have the option of hard token, mobile push, mobile passcodes, certs (for select systems while you're on campus) and a frustrating voice verification option that I've never really figured out.

The mobile push is the easiest for me. And since I have to have my phone to get back to my desk after visiting the bathroom, it's really never left alone to be stolen. (it's my ID card which is in my phone case I need, not the actual phone, but still)

ETA - it's pretty impossible for me to forget my phone at home, because my ID card, which lives in my phone case, is also my subway pass, so I have to back track if I don't have my phone. I've only gotten as far as the subway a handful of times in 15 years.

Last edited by Motorgirl; 04-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

In my backpack in my locker. I don't use it for company business. If anyone at work wants to talk to me, they can come to my desk.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 PM

I leave it on my desk when I'm at my desk. When I leave my desk, it goes with me. Even (or especially) when I go to the bathroom.

It would not even occur to me for it to be stolen though.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 AM

There are only a few staff in my company and I get my own office with a door, so theft isn't really a problem. I usually dump my pockets (phone, keys, wallet, epinephrine) on top of a waist-height filing cabinet when I come in for the day and pick it all up when I leave.

I feel for you ladies without pockets but my coworkers seem to get by with purses under their desks. Then again, we try to minimize personal phone usage here at work.

~Max
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I am a store cashier, and one of the strictest rules is "No cell phones at the registers." I keep it in my purse, which is in the plastic box with my name on it.

The aisle workers are required to carry their cell phones and to call 911 immediately if any disturbance breaks out at the registers.