Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 PM

Endless wait for driving lessons. This is pathetic.

Two ads on the local craigslist elicited zero response. All the driving schools are overbooked and busy until at least end of May. Two further ads in the local community classifieds received null response, too. Finally a lady whose contact I obtained through a friend agreed to coach me but pulled out a day before the first lesson, citing family issues.

A couple others did not even return calls.

An ad in my apartment community's forums did not get me nothing.

My friends are chary of letting me touch their stinking cars. I certainly need better friends

So here I am with my shiny new learner's permit, issued two weeks ago, waiting, waiting...

I cant believe it. Is this the US or Timbuktu? I am so disappointed.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Not that you asked, and my apologies if you were absolutely NOT looking for suggestions, but if you live in the US chances are there's a chapter of the SCCA in your state. They all have Facebook groups and I think if you piped up that you're looking to practice road driving in a safe environment, not racing, a driving enthusiast may reach out.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 PM

Your town most likely has its own Facebook group. Try that, and the FiveMiles app. Both are good ways to find locals.

Pro tip: join, but don't immediately post. Give it a day, poke around, interact with others 1st. Anyone with 2 brain cells to keep each other company will be wary of a "New Member!!" who immediately wants to borrow a car. (I know that's not precisely what you're asking, but that's how many will skim it.)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 PM

Get your butt out to AZ, and my patient, sweet husband will teach you. He's taught 4 teenagers how to drive a standard transmission!

One of the aforementioned teenagers was our daughter. She took the DMV drive test with a standard, and got 100%!

But his biggest achievement when we were newlyweds. He taught ME to drive a standard,

In Germany.

Over cobblestones!

And we're still married. 45 years end of June.

~VOW
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 PM

I wonder what the legal liabilities are? It's one thing for me to teach my daughter to drive.

What if I agree to teach a neighbor for $30 a lesson? It's ok if there's no collision.

I'm not sure about the legal liabilities if anything went wrong during the lesson?

I wouldn't be a certified instructor and I wouldn't have a car with dual controls.

Last edited by aceplace57; 04-15-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandala View Post
All the driving schools are overbooked and busy until at least end of May.
I mean, that's only a month and a half. Wouldn't it be better to wait rather than be taught by some rando from Craigslist?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I wonder what the legal liabilities are? It's one thing for me to teach my daughter to drive.

What if I agree to teach a neighbor for $30 a lesson? It's ok if there's no collision.

I'm not sure about the legal liabilities if anything went wrong during the lesson?

I wouldn't be a certified instructor and I wouldn't have a car with dual controls.
I expect it depends on state laws and the terms of your insurance.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I mean, that's only a month and a half. Wouldn't it be better to wait rather than be taught by some rando from Craigslist?
Says a rando on a message board. Some randos are more equal than others, huh?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawth Chucka View Post
Says a rando on a message board. Some randos are more equal than others, huh?
I am a message board rando who happens to be a driving instructor for a large driving school. In PA, instructors who are associated with schools have extensive background checks and clearances. We are certified as instructors through both the state DMV and the state Dept. of Education. We, and our training vehicles, are insured through the schools that employ us. We typically use dash cams that record events inside the vehicle as well as outside. We are bonafide.
Craigslist randos? They are just that.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Forgot to mention that the next few months are busy for driving schools. The high schools are at the end of their sports seasons and will be breaking for Summer soon. All the high school kids whose schedules were too busy during the school year are scheduling daytime lessons.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Where are you? The USA is diverse. Here, you wouldn't have the permit until you were already done with drivers' education. What's the next step that you're trying to accomplish?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Where are you? The USA is diverse. Here, you wouldn't have the permit until you were already done with drivers' education. What's the next step that you're trying to accomplish?
I gave the computer-based exam and vision test for the Learners permit. The next step would be to get behind the wheel and practice driving around as much as possible. With a Learners permit I cannot rent a vehicle on my own and have to rely on someone agreeing to sit beside me and watch over me. Ohio law does not require that the other person be a certified driving instructor, just an adult with a valid driving license. (I have driven in the US before; but since I went back to India where we drive on the left, I want to practice here again.)