Old 07-14-2018, 03:58 AM

What are people listening to when walking around with earphones plugged into their cell phone

I see a lot of people (mostly teenagers and ones in their 20s ) walking/jogging around with earphones plugged into their smart phone.
I am assuming that they are listing to music stored on their smart phone similar to Walkmans in the 80s, portable CD/MP3 players later, then Ipods, are more recently smart phones.

Can't think of anything else ?
Unless they have a microphone attached so they can have a 2 way conversation while being outside.

Last edited by ssgenius; 07-14-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:05 AM

I think you nailed it. Music or phone call or maybe podcasts
Old 07-14-2018, 04:09 AM

Missed the podcasts although

Thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

While I'm not in the demographic asked about, and I use Bluetooth rather than wired headphones, I'm listening to books. I spend about forty hours a month walking for exercise and recently started using Audible as an alternative to my local library's small selection of downloadable books.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
While I'm not in the demographic asked about, and I use Bluetooth rather than wired headphones, I'm listening to books. I spend about forty hours a month walking for exercise and recently started using Audible as an alternative to my local library's small selection of downloadable books.
Good point. I listened to some books on cassettes years ago, so I assume this is similar
Old 07-14-2018, 04:35 AM

What's a "cassette"?
Old 07-14-2018, 04:44 AM

Music for me. I have a 64 GB SD card in my phone, so that holds nearly my entire album collection.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
What's a "cassette"?
It's a miniature cass.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Many of them are listening to the directives of their alien overlords.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 AM

I have mine wired to my cats ...
Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
What's a "cassette"?
It was a vast improvement over the unsuccessful books on eight-track format. You could get Stephen King's The Stand in a 36 eight-track version. The backpack full of tapes you had to carry along hindered wide acceptance.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgenius View Post
I see a lot of people (mostly teenagers and ones in their 20s ) walking/jogging around with earphones plugged into their smart phone.
I am assuming that they are listing to music stored on their smart phone similar to Walkmans in the 80s, portable CD/MP3 players later, then Ipods, are more recently smart phones.

Can't think of anything else ?
Unless they have a microphone attached so they can have a 2 way conversation while being outside.
I'm wondering why this is a puzzle. They're listening to the same stuff that people have been using transistor radios, Sony Walkmans, portable CD players, iPods, etc., for ever since portable media players first became popular in the 1950s. So, yeah, music, news, sports, talk programming (i.e., podcasts), audiobooks, whatever is available in audio form.

And, yes, some people are also having phone conversations. I pretty much always put in an earphone to talk on a mobile phone.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 AM

I listen to podcasts usually, but I also listen to nothing. If I'm at the grocery store, or walking a local trail, and not feeling sociable, I put in my earbuds even if I have nothing I want to listen to.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 AM

I think that modern smartphones have mostly killed off the stand-alone MP3 player market. Why bother with two devices when one will do? (And MicroSD cards come in up to 512 GB sizes now--that's a whole lot of music, even if you chose to store it as WAV files. Compress them and you are talking a hundred thousand songs.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 07-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:38 AM

They aren't listening to anything, they're just pretending to deter people from talking to them.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyard View Post
They aren't listening to anything, they're just pretending to deter people from talking to them.
My daughter does this.

I mainly listen to audioboooks.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:46 AM

Radio?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:08 PM

Since data limits are mostly a thing of the past: Spotify. (Streaming music)

Just drove across Europa, from Holland to Italy and the 4G dropped only for 30 mins on a pass in Austria.

Total data consumption in 13 hours of driving: 400MB
Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM

iTunes, podcasts, phone, pandora...
Old 07-14-2018, 04:12 PM

A friend of mine has an app on her phone that motivates her when she's Jogging. I'm not sure what it's called but the way she describes it is there's a story you listen to about an zombie invasion. Every now and then it says you're being attacked by zombies and you have to jog faster (the app tracks how fast and far you're jogging) to escape them or you take damage. It also tells you to jog a certain distance to collect supplies to heal up and defend your home against the zombies. Sounds like fun if you're a jogger.

I googled and tracked it down. It's called Zombies, Run!.

Last edited by Pixel_Dent; 07-14-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Radio?
In the context of cell phones it depends a lot on where you live. Outside the US this is very common, in the US it isn't. A lot of smart phones have the hardware for listening to radio, but they are not enabled in the US for the financial gain of the phone companies. You don't pay for minutes listening to radio. OTOH, they don't do the same with mp3s.

I still use standalone mp3 players. Just recently replaced the battery in one. I use them in "active" situations where I don't want to risk damaging my cell phone. I also bought a cheap one from China last year I keep on my nightstand with sleep "tapes" on the SD card. (Yes, many of this takes cards so limits are virtually gone, swapping out cards for different purposes is easy, etc.)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
It was a vast improvement over the unsuccessful books on eight-track format. You could get Stephen King's The Stand in a 36 eight-track version. The backpack full of tapes you had to carry along hindered wide acceptance.
Still lighter than the actual book, though.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 PM

• Music, either stored on the phone or streamed
  • Podcasts
  • Radio, either streamed live or catchup service, either whole programs or highlight excerpts - either the digital equivalent of a terrestrial station, or a digital-only station
  • Audiobooks
  • Audio-focused apps like Pixel_Dent's friend using Zombies! Run! or other running apps; there are walking meditation apps too
Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Radio?
I have two smartphones with the FM tuner enabled. They do make them. You do need earbuds plugged in to act as an antenna, but they'll also play through the speaker if you choose. I have unlimited data on the one I'm currently using though, so I just use an app to pick up streaming radio over the internet.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
In the context of cell phones it depends a lot on where you live. Outside the US this is very common, in the US it isn't. A lot of smart phones have the hardware for listening to radio, but they are not enabled in the US for the financial gain of the phone companies. You don't pay for minutes listening to radio. OTOH, they don't do the same with mp3s.

I still use standalone mp3 players. Just recently replaced the battery in one. I use them in "active" situations where I don't want to risk damaging my cell phone. I also bought a cheap one from China last year I keep on my nightstand with sleep "tapes" on the SD card. (Yes, many of this takes cards so limits are virtually gone, swapping out cards for different purposes is easy, etc.)
The apps for radio stations are too numerous to list. So I don't recognize the issue you're talking about. I listen all the time. I have no incentive to load or stream any music. There's too much on the radio.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
The apps for radio stations are too numerous to list. So I don't recognize the issue you're talking about. I listen all the time. I have no incentive to load or stream any music. There's too much on the radio.
"... apps for radio stations". Um, listening to radio doesn't need appS! I am talking about literally over-the-air local stations like you would on a portable radio. For which you need exactly one app if your cell phone has the radio part of the chip enabled.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
"... apps for radio stations". Um, listening to radio doesn't need appS! I am talking about literally over-the-air local stations like you would on a portable radio. For which you need exactly one app if your cell phone has the radio part of the chip enabled.

Just for curiosity,I checked to see if my lowish-end phone (Samsung Galaxy J3) has the chip enablable and was a little surprised that it does. NextRadio works, but the app interface is a little unwieldy. Are there any better apps? (I looked a little, but the problem is that streaming apps are calling themselves "radios" too.)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You don't know that radio stations have apps for iphones and androids? I have about 6 apps for radio stations and NPR. I don't need to have a chip enabled. I have never even heard of that. On apps you can see playlists, comments, the website etc.

Maybe if I just get some chip I can avoid all that convenience? I have no doubt that tuning station to station on that chip will create some new "problem" I didn't want.

What we might need is one app that coordinates all the radio apps under one command.

Last edited by drad dog; 07-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
You don't know that radio stations have apps for iphones and androids? I have about 6 apps for radio stations and NPR. I don't need to have a chip enabled. I have never even heard of that. On apps you can see playlists, comments, the website etc.

The point is that those radio stations are streaming over the internet and being transmitted to your phone from your cell phone provider's cell towers. This chip is an FM radio. No streaming, no passing through your cell phone carrier, works when you have no cell phone signal. An FM tuner, just like found in an FM radio.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
What we might need is one app that coordinates all the radio apps under one command.
TuneIn makes a decent fist of that. I sometimes just browse to a random country, say Uganda, and listen to what their local radio stations are like.

Last edited by Baron Greenback; 07-15-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Just for curiosity,I checked to see if my lowish-end phone (Samsung Galaxy J3) has the chip enablable and was a little surprised that it does. NextRadio works, but the app interface is a little unwieldy. Are there any better apps? (I looked a little, but the problem is that streaming apps are calling themselves "radios" too.)
I think NextRadio might be the only tuner app. My phones don't require that, though. The manufacturers (one's LG, and the other's Alcatel) have their own custom radio tuners built in to the software.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You don't know that radio stations have apps for iphones and androids?
This is one really peculiar misreading of my postS. Really, really peculiar!

Note that with the radio circuitry enabled in a cell phone you use no data, you don't have to be near free wifi, etc.

And some stations do not do streaming. (Yes, if you're listening to a station over a data connection of you phone, that is streaming. Everybody got that?)

There's one "station" that I used to listen to that was streaming only. It was great, lots of obscure oldies. Then they went to lower power FM and the streaming stopped. And I am not remotely near enough to get the signal. Sigh.

Last edited by ftg; 07-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 PM

I am confused why this is even a question? Were you under some idea that smartphones didn’t play music or something?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:16 AM

I listen to ads for useless or even ridiculous products (which are occasionally interrupted by podcasts)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM

I walk an average of 6 miles per day for exercise. If I'm not walking with a friend or my husband, I'm listening to an audiobook. I go listen to at least 2/month. Usually, when I help my husband with lawn mowing (he does the rider and I do the push mower - I look at it as more exercise for me!) I listen to my music on the Amazon app.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
This is one really peculiar misreading of my postS. Really, really peculiar!

Note that with the radio circuitry enabled in a cell phone you use no data, you don't have to be near free wifi, etc.

And some stations do not do streaming. (Yes, if you're listening to a station over a data connection of you phone, that is streaming. Everybody got that?)

There's one "station" that I used to listen to that was streaming only. It was great, lots of obscure oldies. Then they went to lower power FM and the streaming stopped. And I am not remotely near enough to get the signal. Sigh.
OK. I love the idea of radio from all over. But I have enough trouble with the apps that drop out on you. It is getting hard to get non streaming reception even in the real world. Does the phone act as it's own antenna?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I am confused why this is even a question? Were you under some idea that smartphones didn’t play music or something?
No, he knew they played music, he was just asking "what else besides music?"

As for using your phone as an FM radio, it should use your earbud cord as an antenna. That's how my tiny pocket FM radio used to work back in the Before Times.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post

As for using your phone as an FM radio, it should use your earbud cord as an antenna. That's how my tiny pocket FM radio used to work back in the Before Times.
I listen to stations in Ann Arbor, New York, Boston, Seattle, who knows where, on my iphone. If I went to air it sounds like I get only local stations. It would defeat the whole purpose of having the phone for me.

I listen to Marc Marons podcast, but leave it at that. I'm usually listening to radio on my phone.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I listen to stations in Ann Arbor, New York, Boston, Seattle, who knows where, on my iphone. If I went to air it sounds like I get only local stations. It would defeat the whole purpose of having the phone for me.

You seem to have the impression that installing this app instantly deletes all streaming apps from your phone. That isn't so--you can (gulp!) use both.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you do need the earbuds plugged in to act as an antenna if you're using the tuner chip for OTA FM. That's how it works on my two phones with the tuner.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Basically I see it (ear buds) as a signal. It says “don’t bother me”. And I respect that.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonicamoon View Post
Basically I see it (ear buds) as a signal. It says “don’t bother me”. And I respect that.
Thank you!!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I listen to Marc Marons podcast, but leave it at that. I'm usually listening to radio on my phone.
It should be able to do both. Your phone should be able to stream radio stations using its data connection, and also play broadcast FM signals as an FM radio. You could get a radio station from Seattle while you're in Miami via the streaming service, but also get local FM broadcast stations if your data connection fails. I usually have a 4G signal, or wifi, but plenty of times I've been in places without either.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It should be able to do both. Your phone should be able to stream radio stations using its data connection, and also play broadcast FM signals as an FM radio. You could get a radio station from Seattle while you're in Miami via the streaming service, but also get local FM broadcast stations if your data connection fails. I usually have a 4G signal, or wifi, but plenty of times I've been in places without either.
Not all phones have the FM function enabled by the manufacturer. My current phone, a BLU R1 HD, doesn't. I downloaded the NextRadio app, and all I could do was stream music. I could not pick up any over the air stations. Yes, I did plug my earbuds in for an antenna, but there was not even a tuner interface. The stations I picked up were streaming over my data connection.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The stations I listen to all have apps. It's not that I think you can't do both. But streaming makes it archaic. FM is not a going concern. That is unless people start listening on the stream and support college, Public, and freeform radio all over the country. If we don't I have a feeling that FM over the air may fade away.

You understand the difference between hearing streams of stations from the world over and just hearing the local FM holdouts with a lot of static and dropouts I would guess.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

No cite, but my impression is that significant numbers of people still do listen to over-the-air radio. Maybe not so much on their smartphones, but on their car radios, boomboxes, etc. Local radio is still one source for local news, sports, weather, and traffic reports.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
No cite, but my impression is that significant numbers of people still do listen to over-the-air radio. Maybe not so much on their smartphones, but on their car radios, boomboxes, etc. Local radio is still one source for local news, sports, weather, and traffic reports.
I'm a long time FM listener and I feel like it's being threatened. Jazz played by real people is disappearing. I haven't listened to commercial radio in decades though.

When I'm out I have options for news and weather. I could get local NPR on the stream. With spotty reception even locally, esp with college radio stations, it's a no brainer for me to use stream for radio. But in my car I listen to the FM.