Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #14901  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,604
Dear Mr. Dog-

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, that people are afraid because they are hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves with cherry-picked statistics and self-deception is something we already knew.

Regards,
The TOA Shodan
  #14902  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 34,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Dear Mr. Dog-

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, that people are afraid because they are hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves with cherry-picked statistics and self-deception is something we already knew.

Regards,
The TOA Shodan
This meshes quite well with your other posts about black people. Would you characterize those ~50% of black people who report that they personally have been mistreated by law enforcement as the n-word, in addition to being "hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves..."?
  #14903  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:03 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Dear Mr. Dog-

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, that people are afraid because they are hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves with cherry-picked statistics and self-deception is something we already knew.

Regards,
The TOA Shodan
Why would he be talking about people who carry guns in public?
  #14904  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Shodan is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 39,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Why would he be talking about people who carry guns in public?
He wouldn't be. He would be talking more about people who are afraid of the police because they are hysterical nutbags.

He even cited it.

Regards,
Shodan
  #14905  
Old 07-10-2019, 03:21 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
He wouldn't be. He would be talking more about people who are afraid of the police because they are hysterical nutbags.

He even cited it.

Regards,
Shodan
Huh, that's weird. Because what you described is exactly the type of people who carry guns in public. "people [who] are afraid because they are hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves with cherry-picked statistics and self-deception"
  #14906  
Old 07-10-2019, 07:46 PM
mistymage's Avatar
mistymage is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 911
So this controversial encounter happened in 2017 but video from the cop car cam is just now being released. https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/dash...n-cedar-county

Iowa State Patrol trooper chases down speeding biker and just lays into him right off the bat. Trooper is now employed by the city of Durant, Iowa.

Why has this come to light? A local county Sheriff is refusing to book "criminals" if they have been arrested in the city of Durant, Iowa. Why? Because of "this is just one example of his concerns about police judgement by smith and the Durant Police Department." Smith being the former Iowa State Patrol trooper in the above linked video/article. Smith is married to "Dawn Smith, chairwoman of the Cedar County Board of Supervisors". https://cbs2iowa.com/news/local/ceda...ice-department
  #14907  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,638
“Using what some call excessive force “. Some?
  #14908  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,874
Florida cop is arrested after he planted methamphetamine on random drivers after traffic stops. 120 defendants had their charges thrown out.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-florid...180952213.html
  #14909  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 AM
kayaker's Avatar
kayaker is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 32,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Florida cop is arrested after he planted methamphetamine on random drivers after traffic stops. 120 defendants had their charges thrown out.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-florid...180952213.html
Quote:
More than a dozen people who were arrested by Wester have filed lawsuits or notices of their intent to sue the Sheriff's Office over the former deputy's alleged misconduct.
Wouldn't a civil suit be pretty much a gimme here? Why only a dozen?
  #14910  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Orwell is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wouldn't a civil suit be pretty much a gimme here? Why only a dozen?
It does say "more" than a dozen.

The story just broke, so I expect that many, many more will be filing suit. Which is probably why the police are pursuing this case so hard. They can say, "look, we're doing everything we can". I would think this should cost the police department/community/insurance company a lot of money. Unless there is some kind of loophole protecting the police department from paying out.
  #14911  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Florida cop is arrested after he planted methamphetamine on random drivers after traffic stops. 120 defendants had their charges thrown out.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-florid...180952213.html
263 cases still under review. This guy is a monster.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14912  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
This guy is a monster.
Oh please. He's a cop.
__________________
Y'all are just too damned serious. Lighten up.
  #14913  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM
Euphonious Polemic is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Wouldn't a civil suit be pretty much a gimme here? Why only a dozen?
Meh, these people were probably all guilty anyway. The officer would have known this by their "looks". And they are only suing because they are hysterical nutbags who are only afraid of police because they are hysterical nutbags who are just looking at their own cherry-picked situation.

</sarcasm alert>
  #14914  
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Before you criticize him, try walking a mile in the shoes of a policeman who plants drugs on people and then arrests them. Then you'll feel different!
  #14915  
Old 07-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Inigo Montoya's Avatar
Inigo Montoya is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: On the level, if inclined
Posts: 15,958
Not so sure, I'm already an asshole.
__________________
Y'all are just too damned serious. Lighten up.
  #14916  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
263 cases still under review. This guy is a monster.
The victims of every single conviction that motherfucker ever had his hands in should be compensated by Fla.and have their convictions expunged. One of his victims lost custody of a child as a result.

Last edited by bobot; 07-11-2019 at 04:13 PM.
  #14917  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,874
Arizona cop is getting $2,500 a month because killing an unarmed man in a hotel hallway gave him PTSD:
Quote:
An Arizona cop acquitted of murder in 2017 for killing a man crawling on his knees, begging for his life, in a hotel hallway, was temporarily rehired by the city he worked for so that he could claim a disability pension and file for a medical retirement that will pay him more than $2,500 a month for the rest of his life.

...

Brailsford shot Shaver in a confrontation in a hotel hallway in 2016 after police were called there by somebody who had seen Shaver holding a gun in his room.

The gun turned out to be a pellet gun, but police apparently didn't know that. During the response, police ordered Shaver, who was unarmed, out into the hallway on his knees and ordered him to crawl in their direction while keeping his hands up, and they continued to bark confusing orders at him. As Shaver, clearly terrified, attempted to comply, at one point he gestured behind himself, possibly to pull up his pants, and Brailsford immediately opened fire, killing him.
https://reason.com/2019/07/11/this-c...mpression=true
  #14918  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 AM
wguy123 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Kenneth French's parents, Russell and Paola, are both awake and aware their son was killed. That's about all the new information I found tho.



https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...624-story.html

From this bit:Okay; I'm very skeptical of this story. There better be video that shows him being beaten while he was unconscious or something similar because this does not make any sense.
It's been a month and I cannot find any update on this story. As far as I know, this murdered is still walking free. Can anyone find an update on this? Have they even released the killer's name?
  #14919  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Georgia deputy charged with sexual exploitation of children after investigation

Quote:
A south Georgia deputy has been arrested on charges of sexual exploitation of children and possession of child porn.

Former Bulloch County Deputy Travis Tuenge was arrested on Thursday after the sheriff requested state agents to investigate disturbing charges against him.
At least it looks like the department took appropriate action.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14920  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Chicago Police Commander Under Investigation After Leading Indiana State Police On High Speed Chase

Quote:
According to ISP records, Wodnicki identified himself as a Chicago Police Officer and told the responding troopers that he was heading to his office in Chicago.
And, of course, they went easy on him.

Quote:
Indiana State Police issued Wodnicki a felony citation for resisting law enforcement with a vehicle. However, he was allowed to leave the scene.

Despite being clocked by ISP Troopers at 114 mph, the citation says that Wodnicki was traveling at 80 mph.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14921  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:58 AM
UCBearcats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Wow, most if not all of us would wind up with injuries and a night in jail.
  #14922  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Wow, most if not all of us would wind up with injuries and a night in jail.
Without reading the article, I'm going to take a wild guess that Wodnicki is white.
  #14923  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:36 AM
mhendo is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 25,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
It's been a month and I cannot find any update on this story. As far as I know, this murdered is still walking free. Can anyone find an update on this? Have they even released the killer's name?
The cop's name is Salvador Sanchez. According to this story, he's on administrative leave while the LAPD conducts an internal investigation.
  #14924  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:52 AM
SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
263 cases still under review. This guy is a monster.
Just popping in to see which pieces of shit defend this piece of shit ... I already kinda know.
  #14925  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Bam Boo Gut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,607

Security guard pulls gun on cop


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPACug79bGM

and calls 911 to say there's a guy with a gun.
  #14926  
Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 PM
manson1972's Avatar
manson1972 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,655
Holy crap! I don't even know what to be outraged about regarding that story.
  #14927  
Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 PM
Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,569
That does not surprise me at all. I had the misfortune to have to teach some courses in a college law-and-security program. Most of the students were dumber than dog shit and did not have a hope in hell of getting into the provincial police college, and many of them were maladjusted. One of them did not show for any classes, did not do any assignments, and did not write any tests, so at the end of term when he learned that he had flunked, he stormed in and launched at me from across my desk.

Unfortunately for him, he also was clueless as to what a well used rugby jersey signified.

Unrelated to this, my S.O. at the time said that her son got a job as a security guard. I replied that he would end up getting arrested. I should have been more sensitive by either keeping my mouth shut or making supportive noises. Fortunately, I learned my lesson and made supportive noises to her when her son was arrested for assault against a woman about a year later.

Here in Ontario, the police are pretty good at weeding out the the power and control assholes during Ontario Police College and during the hiring process, so for the most part, they are professionals whom I respect, but a significant proportion of the the security guards -- the wanna be cops for all the wrong reasons -- are not.
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.
  #14928  
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Boo Gut View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPACug79bGM

and calls 911 to say there's a guy with a gun.
Not surprising, the guy who had the gun pulled on him was black.
  #14929  
Old 07-16-2019, 10:57 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Florida cop is arrested after he planted methamphetamine on random drivers after traffic stops. 120 defendants had their charges thrown out.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-florid...180952213.html
I found some new information about this case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NBMYVY5rZ0

The relevant stuff is in the first 2:57 of this 5:51 video; the rest is commentary.

TL;DW: Christine Pumphrey received explicit instructions from higher up the chain to NOT drop any of the cases involving arrests by now-former-officer Zach Wester, being told "just let them sit in jail." She also says that chief assistant state attorney Larry Bamford chastised her, screaming at her about "why did you look into this? why did you watch the Teresa Odom video?" etc.

It's not just a few bad apples. It's a bad tree.

The video notes that Christine Pumphrey quit her job after this; I assume she did so because she has honor and integrity.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-16-2019 at 10:58 PM.
  #14930  
Old 07-17-2019, 01:01 AM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,371
Deutsch Welle reports that nypd officer Daniel Pantaleo will not be charged in the strangling “I can't breathe” death of Eric Garner because willful intent cannot be proven.

(Hmm. So, manslaughter is not an option?)
  #14931  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
He was serving life in prison for a murder. Prosecutors had evidence that he was 'likely innocent' for 27 years

Quote:
The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office recently said prosecutors and police had credible evidence linking at least three other people, including a person who was driving the suspects' SUV, to the crime for years.
They noted that an anonymous caller told police the name of the driver less than 24 hours after the crime, but that tip was never shared with defense attorneys, prosecutors said in a recent court filing.

Assistant District Attorney Patricia Cummings, head of the office's conviction integrity unit, told reporters Monday that it was "pretty clear" that Hollman might never have stood trial if police and prosecutors working on the case had disclosed some of the evidence they had to the defense.
Black guy, of course. Convicted for being in the area and having a 'similar' license plate. I guess finding the actual killer would have been too much trouble.

Holy Jesus, how were these people able to sleep or look in a mirror???
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14932  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Loach's Avatar
Loach is offline
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 25,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Deutsch Welle reports that nypd officer Daniel Pantaleo will not be charged in the strangling “I can't breathe” death of Eric Garner because willful intent cannot be proven.

(Hmm. So, manslaughter is not an option?)
The federal government has no jurisdiction over manslaughter charges. The feds were investigating the possibility of federal civil rights violations. Years ago state grand jury heard the case and they declined to return an indictment on manslaughter or any other charges.
  #14933  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
LAPD Officer Charged With Raping 2 Victims, Was Linked to Earlier Sexual Assault After DNA Match

Quote:
A 10-year veteran with the Los Angeles Police Department was charged with two counts of rape Wednesday after a DNA match linked him to a second sexual assault case, authorities announced.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14934  
Old 07-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
from the linked article:
Quote:
Rodriguez allegedly sexually assaulted a female acquaintance at his home on Nov. 1, 2018.

Officials entered his DNA into the state's database and received a "cold hit" notification, which linked him to another rape case in August 2015, according to police.

That assault involved a second female victim and happened "under similar circumstances," the L.A. County District Attorney's Office said.
So he raped an acquaintance in 2015 and was not arrested? He raped an acquaintance in 2015 and somehow was still working as a cop? How the fuck did this happen???
  #14935  
Old 07-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Mesa officers recount sexual harassment by Officer Jeffrey Neese
Quote:
Initially, Neese was going to be moved to a sergeant position in the patrol department in addition to receiving a 50-hour unpaid suspension as discipline. He was pulled from SWAT, but the suspension was postponed after another victim came forward.

Amanda Cook received similar graphic messages to her personal phone, according to the legal documents. He even including emojis insinuating he was masturbating.
6 people have complained about him. Including one male officer who's wife was being harassed. They think there will probably more coming.

Quote:
Cook's allegations were also sustained by HR. However, the city ultimately decided Neese would keep his job, but be demoted to an officer within the patrol division. Gibbs said city officials told her they were limited by policy and prior precedent.
Why would he keep his job??? His behavior is unprofessional, unethical, damaging to the morale of the department, actionable....oh, and criminal.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca

Last edited by Typo Negative; 07-19-2019 at 01:12 PM.
  #14936  
Old 07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Alaska's Police Crisis: Every Cop in This Village Has Been Convicted of Domestic Violence
Quote:
Issues related to understaffing and lack of funding has forced the town to relax their hiring standards for police officers in order to recruit enough staff to ensure the safety of roughly 565 residents. Due to the remote location of the village and the $14 an hour salary, applicants willing to take the role are often limited to ex-convicts.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14937  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Your link goes to a story about Mesa, AZ Officer Jeffrey Neese, who sexually harassed other cops. I googled using the quote you posted, tho and found the Newsweek story here.

And hey, speaking of Alaska: Report: At least 14 Alaska cities have officers with records
Quote:
At least 14 cities in Alaska have employed police officers whose criminal records should have prevented them from being hired under state law, the Anchorage Daily News and ProPublica reported Saturday.

The news organizations said they found more than 34 officers who should have been ineligible for these jobs. In all but three cases, the police hires were never reported by the city governments to the state’s Department of Public Safety, as required, the Daily News and ProPublica reported.

In eight additional communities, local tribal governments have hired tribal police officers convicted of domestic violence or sex crimes, the news organizations reported.

All 42 of these tribal and city police officers have rap sheets that would prevent them from being hired by the Anchorage Police Department and its urban peers, as Alaska state troopers or even as private security guards most anywhere else in the United States, the news organizations said. Many remain on the job.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-20-2019 at 09:10 PM.
  #14938  
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,638
Not sure AOC qualifies as a civilian, and whether a facebook post counts as an encounter, but how the fuck does this guy still have a badge? https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-pol...133040139.html ? I guess they’re not sure if he really means it. That explains it. I mean, if they were really, really sure he means it, maybe they’d call it regrettable, or something.
How about any police officer who calls for the extrajudicial killing of anyone loses his badge. That shouldn’t be too hard to get behind, should it?

Last edited by Isosleepy; 07-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
  #14939  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Isosleepy's Avatar
Isosleepy is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Not sure AOC qualifies as a civilian, and whether a facebook post counts as an encounter, but how the fuck does this guy still have a badge? https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-pol...133040139.html ? I guess they’re not sure if he really means it. That explains it. I mean, if they were really, really sure he means it, maybe they’d call it regrettable, or something.
How about any police officer who calls for the extrajudicial killing of anyone loses his badge. That shouldn’t be too hard to get behind, should it?
Well, whaddaya know: https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-pol...230856950.html. He got fired. Swift, appropriate action - sad how it seems an exception, but very happy with tecoutcome.
  #14940  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isosleepy View Post
Well, whaddaya know: https://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-pol...230856950.html. He got fired. Swift, appropriate action - sad how it seems an exception, but very happy with tecoutcome.
He was probably more likely to get fired for that Facebook post than he was for shooting an unarmed black man.
  #14941  
Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Don't do stupid things, folks:
Quote:
Police on Tuesday were looking into two recent instances captured on video clips widely circulated on social media that show four on-duty officers getting soaked during a recent heat wave as onlookers jeer.

In the first video to surface, one of two officers making an arrest in Harlem appears to get hit in the head with a red plastic bucket as both are splashed with water. The other shows two officers getting repeatedly doused as they walk down a Brooklyn street looking sheepish as a woman’s voice in the background is heard saying, “Oh, they violated them.”

It appears in both cases that the officers never took action against pranksters who showed little sign they feared reprisal. That has fueled accusations against Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio and other liberal politicians that their police reform policies have fostered a climate of disrespect for officers on the beat.
Let them do their jobs. If they look hot, offer them water or lemonade or something. Don't soak ANYONE without getting consent; it's jerkish. Don't be a jerk.
  #14942  
Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,371
video of police in nyc being doused with water and pelted with small objects while making an arrest.

On the one hand, one might laud them for showing due restraint. Except, of course, that it was due restraint, not especially laudatory (beyond “you did your job properly, good”).

And it really changes nothing anywhere else. All the other police who have recklessly killed minorities, or failed to repudiate blue-brothers/sisters who have, are not now suddenly vindicated/exhonerated because a few officers got wet/bruised.
  #14943  
Old 07-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
ICE releases US citizen, 18, wrongfully detained near border
Quote:
A U.S.-born 18-year-old was released from immigration custody Tuesday after wrongfully being detained for more than three weeks.

Francisco Erwin Galicia left a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in Pearsall, Texas, on Tuesday. His lawyer, Claudia Galan, confirmed he had been released, less than a day after The Dallas Morning News’ reporting about his case drew national attention.

ICE did not immediately comment. Nor did U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which oversees the Border Patrol, the agency that first detained Galicia.

Galicia lives in the border city of Edinburg, Texas, and was traveling north with a group of friends when they were stopped at a Border Patrol inland checkpoint. According to Galan and the Morning News, agents apprehended Galicia on suspicion that he was in the U.S. illegally even though he had a Texas state ID.
3 fucking weeks.
  #14944  
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
There's way too much gray area when it comes to border's ability to detain. They can essentially detain a person indefinitely until they have evidence to their satisfaction that you are who you say you are and that you're here legally. Customs and Border Patrol officials are probably the last officers anyone would want to be a wise ass to - and for the record not saying that's what happened here. Seems like a gross miscarriage of justice

Last edited by asahi; 07-23-2019 at 06:36 PM.
  #14945  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Dear Mr. Dog-

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, that people are afraid because they are hysterical nutbags flagellating themselves with cherry-picked statistics and self-deception is something we already knew.

Regards,
The TOA Shodan
Back from a road trip. Still no reply, presumably as a (sneer) member of the public, I am beneath notice.
  #14946  
Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Unlike most of the people that CBP detains and releases, this one lives in the US and is readily available for interviews: US citizen accuses CBP of 'inhumane' treatment while in custody
Quote:
Francisco Erwin Galicia, an 18-year-old American citizen, on Wednesday described "inhumane" conditions he said he experienced while being held in immigration agency detention for 23 days.

“It was inhumane how they treated us," Galicia told the Dallas Morning News in an interview. "It got to the point where I was ready to sign a deportation paper just to not be suffering there anymore. I just needed to get out of there."

Galicia said he lost 26 pounds because Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents did not give him enough food.

The Dallas-born teen described being crammed into an overcrowded holding area with 60 other men, where they slept on the floor and were given only aluminum-foil blankets.

Some of the men were very sick but were afraid to ask to go to the doctor because officers told them their stay would start over if they did, Galicia said.

CBP and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE), who also held Galicia, did not immediately respond to requests for comment on his description of the conditions.
They fucking well better respond sooner rather than later. The regular citizens of both this country and our southern neighbor need to see some accountability in our public servants; fucking responding shouldn't be a high bar to clear.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-24-2019 at 11:27 PM.
  #14947  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
Former LAPD officer gets probation in child pornography case

Quote:
A former Los Angeles police officer was sentenced to five years of probation on Thursday after pleading no contest to possessing child pornography.
Why would he get probation??? 20 years in the LAPD wasn't enough to teach him that kiddie porn was wrong?
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14948  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,634
To win a murder conviction, police and prosecutors made up evidence and secretly paid a witness, St. Louis DA finds

Quote:
And authorities did all of this, investigators found, in the face of “overwhelming” evidence that Johnson was an innocent man. He has insisted on his innocence the entire time he has been behind bars.
Quote:
The investigation into Johnson’s case found that a single homicide detective, Joseph Nickerson, authored four false police reports describing possible motives for Johnson to kill Boyd, such as that Johnson had a drug beef with Boyd. Years later, all four witnesses would review the reports and swear under oath that they never said what Nickerson attributed to them. The only eyewitness, Greg Elking, failed to identify Johnson several times before pointing to him at trial. He would be paid more than $4,000 for his cooperation — payments not discovered until the CIU’s investigation in 2019.
Quote:
The men actually responsible for killing Boyd in a botched robbery would reveal themselves much sooner. They confessed as early as 1996 and 2002, saying in sworn affidavits that Johnson was not involved. Johnson continued to languish in prison anyway.
That's right. The guys that actually did it confessed, not once but twice.

Cops and Prosecutors are just as likely to be evil sumbitches and criminals as the general public.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #14949  
Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 PM
bordelond's Avatar
bordelond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: La Rive Ouest
Posts: 10,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
video of police in nyc being doused with water and pelted with small objects while making an arrest.

On the one hand, one might laud them for showing due restraint. Except, of course, that it was due restraint, not especially laudatory (beyond “you did your job properly, good”).

And it really changes nothing anywhere else. All the other police who have recklessly killed minorities, or failed to repudiate blue-brothers/sisters who have, are not now suddenly vindicated/exhonerated because a few officers got wet/bruised.
Sorry, that video is sickening in isolation. Don't care about whataboutism of other cops in other places did other things ... walking up and throwing buckets of water on anyone without consent, ever, is incorrect.

No way that's legal, either. I'm sure it's a misdemeanor, but still illegal. Unsure of why the cops didn't react -- they probably assumed the perps were aiming to make a viral cop-assaulted-me! video.
  #14950  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Kinthalis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 8,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond View Post
Sorry, that video is sickening in isolation. Don't care about whataboutism of other cops in other places did other things ... walking up and throwing buckets of water on anyone without consent, ever, is incorrect.

No way that's legal, either. I'm sure it's a misdemeanor, but still illegal. Unsure of why the cops didn't react -- they probably assumed the perps were aiming to make a viral cop-assaulted-me! video.
Lol all the horrible, life destroying shit cops do shown in this thread, but you pick the water throwing as the thing that goes too far.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017