Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
One of the leaders of the Rebellion had the hots for him.

Also, Biggs vouches for him.

Also, I think we're overlooking the fact that if Luke really wanted to pilot an X-Wing, people were probably going to let him for ... mysterious reasons *waves hand* Probably unconsciously. Probably.
Well, the first one is important. The second less so but still there.

But don't forget he comes with the greatest endorsement in the galaxy. Obi-Wan Kenobi essentially sent the kid to the Alliance with a 'Grade A' sticker on his forehead. It don't get better than that.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The proof of that would be if we ever see a star through Artoo. Anyone got a screen cap we could check?
I don't think the original trilogy used chroma keying. I remember seeing a documentary where they discussed some other method, but I can't recall what it was. It showed some examples of bleed through in the cockpits of the fighters on Hoth.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Maybe Obi-Wan was [...] popping around the galaxy with some really showy piloting and announcing "Yes Siree, I sure am Luke Skywalker's father
<conspiracy theory>...which was The TRUTH! </ct>
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Chroma key is a video technique. It usually used green because video cameras pick up green better than the other colors, but it could also use blue.

Star Wars was on film, so it used the blue screen traveling matte process.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
But don't forget he comes with the greatest endorsement in the galaxy. Obi-Wan Kenobi essentially sent the kid to the Alliance with a 'Grade A' sticker on his forehead. It don't get better than that.
How so? For all Leia knew, Luke was just some kid Obi-Wan picked up on the planet he was living on. He got force-ghosted by Vader before he could tell any lies about Luke's origin or destiny. For all the Rebel Alliance knew, Luke was Obi-Wan's twink-of-the-week. The only info they had on his piloting abilities came from Wedge and Biggs.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Chroma key is a video technique. It usually used green because video cameras pick up green better than the other colors, but it could also use blue.

I just rewatched the Death Star battle. R2 could have had his panels done in black for filming, or it could just have been the lighting making them look black.

I did notice the special edition footage had been "enhanced". There was a tracking shot where you could see the Yavin sun reflecting off the windows of one X wing. I know the models didn't have glass.

I also caught one thing they missed - there is a shot of the Red 5 X-wing going down the trench when Luke is flying above. They obviously used the wrong model. Now that I know to look at the number of stripes, it sticks out. And when Luke lands after the battle, that isn't Red 5 he's climbing down from. The fuselage red stripe is wrong.

George, (or Disney), you have more work to do.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-19-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Luke is just maintaining the fine tradition established by movies like Midway, which has one of the Good Guys taking off in one kind of plane, attacking the target in a second kind of plane, and crashing upon his return in a third type. That goes well beyond the usual "tail numbers don't match" type of error that Luke commits.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
As some photographic proof for this: here's a photograph of ILM's John Dykstra sitting in front of a blue screen, along with a TIE fighter model, from the shoot of A New Hope (full article is here, with some interesting information on how they developed and shot the opening crawl).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I did notice the special edition footage had been "enhanced". There was a tracking shot where you could see the Yavin sun reflecting off the windows of one X wing. I know the models didn't have glass.
Not just enhanced, but in a number of cases, the original effects shots (using models) were completely replaced with CGI shots; I suspect that this is the one that you're referring to. Here's a comparison of the original shot (top), compared to the CGI shot (bottom).
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Not just enhanced, but in a number of cases, the original effects shots (using models) were completely replaced with CGI shots; I suspect that this is the one that you're referring to. Here's a comparison of the original shot (top), compared to the CGI shot (bottom).
You are very close. the flash is a few seconds past that.

In glorious 1080p flash at 1:40

There sure were a lot of changes!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM

This is where they used the wrong model. That's Red 5 (five stripes, gap in nose side stripe, two guns with barber pole stripes) but the scene is Reds 1, 2 and 3 making their attack run.

Slightly earlier, this is Red 2, foreground, with 1 and 3, starting to enter the trench. Red 2 has two stripes on wing, no gap in nose side stripe, red forward section on engine nacelle.

After the battle, Luke's fighter has no gap in the nose stripe, no yellow on the upper nose panels. That's not Red 5! I'll give them that one, because they probably only had one full size craft.

No, I am not comic book guy! I was just doing research for building the model kit.

But I never noticed it in Midway. I don't know my WWII Navy planes as well as i do my bombers and USAAC fighters.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 06-19-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
One of the leaders of the Rebellion had the hots for him.
Was General Dodonna even involved in pilot rosters?

Real answer they had more ships than pilots at the time, and he could target womp rats in his crappy backwater flight ship in beggars canyon, so why not see what this kid that brought us the secret plans our whole mission is based on could do, he's probably just going to die anyway.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:18 AM

Yeah, that puts him in an X-wing, but doesn't get him leading the attack run. Biggs and Wedge deferring to him because he claimed he could do it just gets muster, but not why Red Leader assigned Luke the lead.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 AM

The reason Luke was Red 5, despite never having flown a combat mission (or an X-wing) before, is because the whole movie is a holodeck fantasy. It's the only thing that makes sense. It explains away all the problems in the movies! Only four Tie Fighters chasing The MF. Storm Troopers that can't shoot straight. Giant space slugs.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum God View Post
If I remember correctly, Red 5 gets blown up in Rogue One. So, the rebels had an opening in that position.
That's right. The spot was open. The trench run scene at the death star is my favorite seen in Star Wars.

Rebel radio man: Luke, you switched off your targeting computer! What's wrong?

Luke: Nothing, I'm all right.

Han Solo after shooting down a tie fighter from behind, causing another to crash and spinning Vader into space. " You're all clear, kid, now let's blow this thing and go home! "

Luke: Uses the force, the torpedo's go in.

Seconds before the Death Star is about to destroy the moon that houses the rebel base ( BOOM the Death Star explodes )

Han Solo: Great shot kid, that was one in a million!

>> Indeed, I'm not sure how many Jedi could have made the same shot under the same amount of pressure.

Last edited by Silver lining; 06-29-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 PM
BANNED

Once we get this solved, maybe we can figure out how Lando Calrissian got to be a general in “Return of the Jedi”.