Old 05-03-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Then you will have some dickhead whinging because all the fruit and veg is gone and they needed it for whatever wankery crap they do to try and make themselves feel unique.
Very important uses for vegetables:

https://www.themarysue.com/wp-conten...ingpepper.jpeg

https://mysticalraven.com/art/13688/...ade-of-veggies

https://external-content.duckduckgo....6pid%3DApi&f=1

Old 05-03-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Then you will have some dickhead whinging because all the fruit and veg is gone and they needed it for whatever wankery crap they do to try and make themselves feel unique.
Smoothies, obvs.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
Ya know, before all this I was one of those few who wiped their ass with toilet paper, but now, EVERYONE, is jumping on the bandwagon.
I'm still wiping mine with flour.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:03 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
I'm still wiping mine with flour.
Wonder Bread is best.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
We got about 3 lbs of spaghetti before the lockdown. We're saving it for now in case we need it ... and it's pretty shelf-stable.
Hard wheat pasta is shelf stable -- hard wheat was the basis of the Roman Empire --, and to my eternal irritation, it's what we have on our shelves once the Italian immigrants became sufficiently wealthy and influential. When I first moved out of home, Australian soft-wheat spaghetti was still available, and it cooks in 5-7 minutes instead of 10-15 minutes. Which, IMHO, is nice if you're a single male university student rather than a full-time home maker.

Incidentally, the opposite is true about cornmeal. Italian Polenta is typically made with soft corn meal, which only lasts 3-6 months, instead of American hard corn meal, which typically lasts 1~2 years.

If you are making fresh pasta at home, you can use bread flour instead of semolina/duram.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Wonder Bread is best.
I am sure that Carenís children only use home-baked bread.
I do have pasta at home. It has an expiration date of 2015. Can dry pasta really expire?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Oh, you unimaginative people, buying spaghetti instead of planting spaghetti trees...

That's the BBC's piece from 1957 on the Spaghetti Harvest in Ticino (on the Switzerland/Italy border). Here's some background on it.

Last edited by digs; 05-04-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
I am sure that Carenís children only use home-baked bread.
I do have pasta at home. It has an expiration date of 2015. Can dry pasta really expire?
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that dry pasta doesn't really "expire", as in become unsafe to eat, but it really does have a "best used by" date (about two years if stored in a cool and dry place). Past that, you may start to notice degradation in taste and texture.

If your pasta has an expiration date of 2015, and you're cooking it in 2020, unless you actually see mold or other discoloration or it has a moldy or musty smell (dry pasta can apparently go moldy), it should be perfectly safe to eat, but it may have lost a lot of flavor and it may have an unpleasant texture when cooked.

Cook a small test batch - it if turns out ok, you're good to go with the rest of the box.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Hijack: was it really? I used to sell produce to Park Slope, also years ago, by way of a growers' cooperative. They were one of our best customers.
I was the backup produce buyer 2003-2005. Whatís the name of your cooperative? I dealt with dozens of you guys for everything from eggs to summer tomatoes to chickens.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I was the backup produce buyer 2003-2005. Whatís the name of your cooperative? I dealt with dozens of you guys for everything from eggs to summer tomatoes to chickens.
It was Finger Lakes Organic; and now I think defunct, though not for some time after I left it. Last year I sold anything through FLO was 2003.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 AM

I made banana nut bread for the first time in my life last week. I had a bunch of bananas that were going ripe (I bought them for my nieces and it turned out they didn't need them), so I decided to make some bread for myself and for them and their father. I hardly ever bake, so I had to--gasp!!--buy some flour. This urge to bake wouldn't likely have hit me if it weren't for the rona, since the only reason I've been shopping for my nieces is because their mother has been deployed to fight the rona.

(That bread I made was yummy, if I should say so myself. I had no idea that mayonnaise could be such a magical ingredient!)

To Caren: lots of folks are making sacrifices right now. Some people are sacrificing the time they'd normally spend raising their children on helping the sick (like my sister). Others has been sacrificing their livelihoods to keep themselves and their workers safe. Some people have been sacrificing their leisurely weekends to help out family. You know, doing stuff like baking cookies and bread to make up for some of the other sources of pleasure that aren't available right now. So you're going to have to write better than that if you want people to feel sorry for you that you can't buy all the organic flour you want. The well of sympathy we have just isn't enough to accommodate all the swirling butthurt out there.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Hijack: was it really? I used to sell produce to Park Slope, also years ago, by way of a growers' cooperative. They were one of our best customers.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking annoying.

Actually, that's not true. There's nothing all that annoying about the store itself. But the people who shop/are members there? A surprising percentage of them (not all, of course, but more than you'd think) are annoying. Caren would fit right in.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:04 PM

Now that we're in the Pit, fuck you Caren. You're lucky you live in a time, place and social station where you have the choice to do whatever you like. You think you're too good to feed your precious little princes/princesses store bought bread like the plebeians. You're not. The fact that you're not worrying about how you're going to get anything to feed the precious heirs is something to be glad of in Virus Time. Hell, if none of you are in the hospital it's something to be glad of. Shut your mouth and be content with what you've got. It's a hell of lot more than most people have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I was once in a fairly fancy upper-end supermarket some years back where I was treated to someone having a complete meltdown at the meat counter because they were out of organic, free-range chicken. The regular chicken was clearly unacceptable and the poor counter-worker was getting his ass chewed because of the failure of the supply chain. It was a truly surreal, head-shaking moment.
I hope they had a manager like mine. She takes zero bullshit from customers and it's so satisfying to see.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
What flabbergasts me is that this quote is very similar to what I would have told Caren. "I expected to hear from a lot of entitled privileged people" is irony of the highest order.