Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Trump fans don't mind at all that he cheats on his wives, is a jerk, curses, bashes people , etc. They like that stuff because most of it he does to Dems/liberals.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:16 PM

NPD does sound like it fits Trump. I also see signs of mental deterioration. If you listen to clips of him 10 or 20 years ago, he speaks coherently, and he can hold onto a thought for more than a few seconds. Big change now, where we all have to try to guess what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Where can one still find even a small cup of coffee for $1.00 (and some loose pennies) anymore? And is it drinkable (certainly not expecting it to be good).
Gas station is normally where I see it. It's not Starbucks or Peet's, but it's about average for a diner or similar.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelby View Post
FWIW, I've been a practicing psychologist for over 30 years, about to retire. I'm pretty sure a few others who've posted in this thread have professional expertise as well.
And I'm sure you all agree that you can't diagnose mental illness without actually seeing the patient.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
How the FUCK has he gotten away with everything for as long as he has and ended up being rewarded for his demonstrable incompetence?
He is a useful fool. He will say and do anything and his opponents will devote their lives to picking it apart. He will never fully understand how he got to where he is or who put him there, so he will never accidentally give them away. Unfortunately, Trump, like Beeblebrox, does not wield power. He draws attention away from it.

Quote:
What is wrong with the American public that allowed for this to even be a remote possibility let alone this absurd reality?
Trump is a troll's troll. Many Americans are trolls, or at least maladjusted childlike adults who enjoy schadenfreude perhaps too much. They lack empathy and enjoy testicular trauma humor as long as they're only watching. If you get hurt, it's because you were not paying attention/asking for it.

Quote:
Where are the checks and balances we've all been assured exist to prevent this kind of corrupt and wholly unqualified individual from becoming POTUS?
The Founding Fathers were pretty smart, but they didn't have a good appreciation for team sports. If you approach DC as a team, over time you can skew the Judicial Branch to favor your team, you can get loyal and disciplined team members to dominate the Legislative Branch, and you can install loyal team members in other key positions. the positions all complement each other, so as long as everyone toes the line, everyone wins.

Quote:
Will anyone take American politics and democratic institutions of government seriously again? How can they?
As long as we have nukes and a military that can operate with an open checkbook the world will take us seriously enough. We’re getting good at hegemony. And while they are taking us seriously, America might just pull its head out of its ass and do something cool for the rest of the world to counter some of the uncool stuff we’ve gotten up to recently. If Trump has taught us anything, it is that people have short memories when something shiny is placed in front of them.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
And I'm sure you all agree that you can't diagnose mental illness without actually seeing the patient.
We see him every day. Much to our dismay.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
We see him every day. Much to our dismay.
How does one diagnose it, from an interview? Is there a test, something like the MMPI?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I like the theory that a co-worker opined a couple of months ago- basically that he's had too much money all his life, and that it's insulated him from the consequences of his actions.
Too much money and as a kid he was biggger, stronger and more aggressive than his classmates in that military school he attended. What's the best way to avoid being the target of the class bully? Being the class bully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Trump fans don't mind at all that he cheats on his wives, is a jerk, curses, bashes people , etc. They like that stuff because most of it he does to Dems/liberals.
Hence that famous complaint, "he's doing it to the wrong people!"

Last edited by Nava; 05-19-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:25 AM

also Clinton was a bad candidate . People hated her going back to 92
Old 05-20-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
also Clinton was a bad candidate . People hated her going back to 92

Yeah, they hated her enough for her to win the popular vote by more than three million votes.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
Yeah, they hated her enough for her to win the popular vote by more than three million votes.
Well to be fair, a vote "for" does not necessarily mean "approval of" in a presidential election. It only means she was slightly more appealing than an overprivileged bag of festering shit. That she wasn't able to soundly defeat Trump is a pretty clear indication she didn't do a good job of convincing anyone that she was much different from an overprivileged bag of festering shit. Of course, it also stands that about half of us enjoy proximity to an overprivileged bag of festering shit.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Personality disorders are identified based on observable behaviors not explained by some other condition/disorder.

Because Trump's been a public figure for decades we've been able to track his pathology for years. There is no other reasonable explanation for his behavior. His is a textbook example of NPD.

It isn't necessary to sit down with someone like Charles Mansion to know he's a psychopath if you are familiar with his history.

The APA requirement that individuals be personally evaluated before any diagnosis can be rendered was well-intentioned, and I am not "officially" diagnosing Trump with anything.

But I'd stake my professional reputation on it.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Old 05-20-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well, it's technically not contradictory. Had she not been hated, she would have beaten Trump by far more. Anyone should have been able to utterly wipe the floor with Trump.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Well, it's technically not contradictory. Had she not been hated, she would have beaten Trump by far more. Anyone should have been able to utterly wipe the floor with Trump.
He's an even bet to win again even though matched against a respected opponent who was part of an extremely popular administration. The problems with the nation's electorate run very deep.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:36 PM

He may be close to an even bet, but that's not what the polls show. He's losing by 9 points or more. There are some interesting articles out there about why the public perception is that Trump is winning. Overall, I think it has the most to do with our collective fear that he might win again.

Remember to vote people.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Vote early and often.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
He may be close to an even bet, but that's not what the polls show. He's losing by 9 points or more. There are some interesting articles out there about why the public perception is that Trump is winning. Overall, I think it has the most to do with our collective fear that he might win again.

Remember to vote people.
Fivethirtyeight had a really interesting chat about the psychology behind the perception. It's at least partially because of Trump's narrow upset win in '16, which certainly fuels my personal continuing fears. But while there is indeed good reason for optimism in November, close watchers of national elections have also shown us in detail why this is shaping up to be another nailbiter.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Vote early and often.

Huh? I get the early part, but what's with "vote often"? I'm hoping you mean "vote once in each election for which you are eligible to vote". "Vote often" sounds a little too much like "cast as many votes as you personally can".

Sorry if I mis-parsed your post.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:35 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Huh? I get the early part, but what's with "vote often"? I'm hoping you mean "vote once in each election for which you are eligible to vote". "Vote often" sounds a little too much like "cast as many votes as you personally can".

That's a meme. "Vote early and vote often." Used ironically these days, it's very old. You've never heard that?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 AM

Nope. Never heard it before. Most of the voting advertisements I get is when I'm on holiday in Korea. Of course I visit the US military bases there and a few of the AFN radio and TV "spots" are about absentee voting. You know, the stuff the damny dirty lying sack of dung hypocrite uses himself but doesn't want anyone else to use.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Vote early and often.
Well, that free $1200 dollars that my friend Trump gave me certainly buys MY vote!

And if my man Don gives me another $1200 every month from now through October, I'll be sure to vote for him seven more times too!
Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
That's a meme. "Vote early and vote often." Used ironically these days, it's very old. You've never heard that?
Quote:
Nope. Never heard it before. Most of the voting advertisements I get is when I'm on holiday in Korea. Of course I visit the US military bases there and a few of the AFN radio and TV "spots" are about absentee voting. You know, the stuff the damny dirty lying sack of dung hypocrite uses himself but doesn't want anyone else to use.
The phrase seems to have a pretty long history, going back as far as 1858 (or earlier).

Quote:
In his Political Dictionary, columnist William Safire attributes "vote early and often" to a New Yorker: attorney John Van Buren, second son of 8th US President Martin. He supposedly said it sometime in the 1840s, according to a Victorian book called "The Bench and the Bar: a Complete Digest of the Wit, Humor, Asperities and Amenites of the Law." Sadly it's out of print. But the phrase seems to have been common by 1858, when it pops up in the New York Times and the Chicago Press and Tribune. Four years earlier, it had a more sinister application. In 1854, according to Civil War historians, a group of pro-slavery settlers from Missouri, called Border Ruffians, crossed into Kansas territory on election day "to vote early and often" on behalf of Kansas for slavery.
Serious-minded commenters acknowledge that it's pretty much always intended in a self-deprecatingly jocular vein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Safire
vote early and often A self-mocking Election Day greeting by politicians.
Republicans (IME) seem to be more willing to insist that Democrats use the exhortation in deadly earnest.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 AM

when Trump was on TV if he said the stupid stuff he does now they would edit that out . So viewers never saw the real Trump
Old 05-24-2020, 07:31 AM

The problem is that he's editing stuff out and the idiots who support him buy that.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:24 AM

Trump getting worse now as he sees he might not win in Nov.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

May as well burn it all down if you can't take it with you.....
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
May as well burn it all down if you can't take it with you.....
Now that is a depressing thought.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:38 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Trump getting worse now as he sees he might not win in Nov.
Especially with this mail-in voting bullshit, Chump is setting the stage to call "voter fraud" once he loses.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Especially with this mail-in voting bullshit, Chump is setting the stage to call "voter fraud" once he loses.
Of course. "The biggest mail fraud in history! Else I couldn't have lost!"
Old 05-25-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Don't really wonder who is whispering in his ear (there are a few). Trump is way, way too stupid to think that far ahead.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:51 PM

If he does lose and mail-in voting had been banned, dollars to donuts he'd say that the military vote was denied and since the military loves him that means he lost unfairly for that reason.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:16 AM

If he's behind in polls in October I would not be surprised if there is an invasion of Iran or at least bombing them.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
If he's behind in polls in October I would not be surprised if there is an invasion of Iran or at least bombing them.
Oh, hell.
That would stir up his minions.
dammit.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
If he does lose and mail-in voting had been banned, dollars to donuts he'd say that the military vote was denied and since the military loves him that means he lost unfairly for that reason.
There is very little chance that Trump will not win the election in November, unless someone else much more formidable is found to run against him.