Old 05-25-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Just on a personal note, I need to correct Wesley Clark. The seventies were a terrible financial decade. There was a recession from 1973-1975 after the first round of oil price hikes. The second round made it worse, with inflation spiking over 20 percent. Jobs were impossible to find. It was so bad that Nixon signed the The Comprehensive Employment and Training Act (CETA) to fund jobs, and CETA benefits had to keep lengthening because even after a year people still couldn't get a job. I took a couple of CETA jobs myself and I had been on food stamps for a few months in that blasted 1973. It was my worst decade as an adult and I would have laughed in your face if you told me the boomers had it easy.
Yeah, I had to live in my car for about 18 months until I had enough money to finish college. Worked on farms for food for a bit.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
The Pill also led to feminism via a backlash: In the 1960s men had optimistically presumed (hoped?) that freedom from fear of pregnancy would lead to women joining men in unrestricted swinging promiscuity- which most women did not in fact want. The crassness with which the "Sexual Revolution" often treated women led to women in the 1970s demanding to be taken seriously and not as walking party favors.
Coming back to this:

It did indeed have some impact; some men seemed to think that the only reason absolutely every woman they wanted to have sex with had had to turn them down was fear of pregnancy or of social sanctions. The idea that no, some women just didn't want to have sex with them in particular, didn't go down well with everybody (and still doesn't go down well with some.)

However, this didn't "lead to feminism", though it may well have encouraged a resurgence of it. There's been feminism in the United States, and women demanding to be taken seriously, at least since Abigail Adams told her husband that the laws of the new nation ought to "remember the ladies".
Old 05-26-2020, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

However, this didn't "lead to feminism", though it may well have encouraged a resurgence of it. There's been feminism in the United States, and women demanding to be taken seriously, at least since Abigail Adams told her husband that the laws of the new nation ought to "remember the ladies".
I think what counted was that it was a bit harder for sexist bosses to refuse to hire women because either they'd get married and have kids or they were already married and were of course going to have kids. I'm not saying this doesn't happen now - just that it made things slightly easier.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:34 AM

Posters have largely touched on it, but I see two main issues:

1) College. Prior to the 1960s, college was largely for rich people. Even with the GI bill, very few people went to college. You largely were born, lived, and died in your homogenous local community. So if you were taught to marry your high school sweetheart, get a job and start a family at 18, that women should stay home, and that blacks should eat at a different area of the restaurant, or if the government told you to go fight in Korea, then you had no frame of reference to question any of these things.

The post war prosperity allowed many middle class families to send their children to college. Many of my parents' friends bragged that they were the "first in the family to go to college." Then, as now, this opens you up to a diversity of viewpoints. You mean there are a lot of women who will have casual sex? You don't think you need to start a family until you are 30? You think it is okay for women to work outside the house? In your community blacks and whites eat together? You think the government should have to justify going to war? Let's sit down, smoke some weed and talk about these radical ideas.

2) The Vietnam War. As a backdrop to the above, the Boomers were the first generation not to experience any real hardship or sacrifice. The postwar prosperity allowed them to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle and they were going to college, on their way to great jobs and careers, even better than they had it growing up. Now the government is doing to draft them and tell this 19 year old kid that he has to go fight halfway across the world against people who haven't done anything to us, but are "spreading communism."

Yeah, well, fuck that. I have a life to live. I have no doubt that the Boomers were just as brave as any other generation and would have volunteered if an enemy had invaded the California coast. But, no, I'm a liberal arts major that has never fired a gun. I am not going over to kill or be killed by these people who have never done anything to me. And I'm pissed about it so "One, Two, Three, Four, We don't want your fucking war!"

Those two things together caused a tipping point which changed society forever.