Old 07-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Unoriginal Douchebag that is Gordon Ramsey.

Derivative fucking douche bag Gordon Ramsey has a new 6 episode series called: Uncharted. In which he visits exotic places around the world to explore local food and culture.

How the fuck does that complete wanker even look at himself in the mirror?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:42 PM

I can't wait! I love Gordon Ramsey! Not sure why this show puts you in such a foul mood.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Hey, Tony Bourdain made the same series like three different times. It's a popular kind of show. Why shouldn't they make more of them?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
Hey, Tony Bourdain made the same series like three different times. It's a popular kind of show. Why shouldn't they make more of them?
[Disclaimer: I watch GR shows]

Maybe because Tony was cool and Gordon is a douche?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM

Gordon acts differently depending on the show. I liked him on The F Word. He had interesting guests and the cooking segments were informative.

Hells Kitchen shows Gordon's worst behavior. I quit watching after the 3rd season. Primarily because it seemed like Gordon exaggerated his anger and profanity for ratings.

Uncharted looks interesting. I'll watch and see how it goes. It does sound similar to Bourdain's shows.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-14-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM

I might suggest that if you hate someone, then promoting their show seems unwise.

And if you don't, then you should reveal that you're not acting honestly rather than wooshing everyone.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I can't wait! I love Gordon Ramsey! Not sure why this show puts you in such a foul mood.
I just think GR is a huge jackass. This is just another example of that fact.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
I might suggest that if you hate someone, then promoting their show seems unwise.
You're right. Critics should only write positive reviews.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
I just think GR is a huge jackass. This is just another example of that fact.
Can you perhaps trace out how going to different countries and highlighting the food there contributes to the "jackassedness" of the host?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 PM

It's not where he's going, it's who he is.

Hey, you like the guy? Enjoy the show.

Me, I think he's a jackass and doing this show on the heels of the tragic death of a guy who is roundly loved and who made this show format iconic and uniquely his own only proves to me the kind of douchebag that GR really is.

And don't ask me if anybody is ever permitted to do a show with the same format. I don't know. I just hoped it wouldn't be that guy.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Hells Kitchen shows Gordon's worst behavior. I quit watching after the 3rd season. Primarily because it seemed like Gordon exaggerated his anger and profanity for ratings.
Exactly. On Hell's Kitchen and the American version of Kitchen Nightmares, he played up the shouty, angry personality because that's what Fox wanted. If you want to see him act differently, watch the original UK version of Kitchen Nightmares. He's much more calm and contemplative about the problems with the restaurant. And he did two seasons/series of another show called Gordon's Great Escape. In the first he traveled around India while in the second he traveled around Southeast Asia, learning local recipes and spending time with local chefs. It sounds a bit like this new show is going to be.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:34 PM
BANNED

GR isnt Mr. Rogers but his persona is mostly for the TV shows (US market anyway)- do you think as many people would watch if he were was meek and kind? What would get more views, a benign GQ about cherry pie, or an insult filled pit thread about it?

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
GR isnt Mr. Rogers but his persona is mostly for the TV shows (US market anyway)- do you think as many people would watch if he were was meek and kind? What would get more views, a benign GQ about cherry pie, or an insult filled pit thread about it?
Shall I go down the list of names of very watchable TV chefs who don't come across as douchebags?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Shall I go down the list of names of very watchable TV chefs who don't come across as douchebags?
Come on! GR put two pieces of bread on a Hell's Kitchen contestant and made her say she was an "idiot sandwich". How can you NOT like that?
Old 07-14-2019, 07:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Plenty of them- so how does a newcomer distinguish himself? being different in a way the audience enjoys.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Exactly. On Hell's Kitchen and the American version of Kitchen Nightmares, he played up the shouty, angry personality because that's what Fox wanted. If you want to see him act differently, watch the original UK version of Kitchen Nightmares. He's much more calm and contemplative about the problems with the restaurant. And he did two seasons/series of another show called Gordon's Great Escape. In the first he traveled around India while in the second he traveled around Southeast Asia, learning local recipes and spending time with local chefs. It sounds a bit like this new show is going to be.
Yes, the UK version is available on Amazon Prime. He's much more toned down, and genuinely helpful.

Not surprisingly, American audiences want to see him yell and swear at morons.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
You're right. Critics should only write positive reviews.
Critics lose a paycheck if they decide to skip out promoting the product.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Critics lose a paycheck if they decide to skip out promoting the product.
I'm sure that sentence makes perfect sense, in your head.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:31 PM

I don't like Gordon either. The first thing I thought of when I saw the ad for this new show, someone's gonna knife him on one of those episodes. He ain't no Tony.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I'm sure that sentence makes perfect sense, in your head.
They're getting paid to write the reviews. You'll almost certainly find that movies that get reviews sell more than ones which get none - and that includes negative reviews.

There is no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
Come on! GR put two pieces of bread on a Hell's Kitchen contestant and made her say she was an "idiot sandwich". How can you NOT like that?
That was a part of a skit on the late late show, not Hells Kitchen.

Gordon Ramsey is a much better chef than Bourdain was, and will probably be a better travel show host.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Me, I think he's a jackass and doing this show on the heels of the tragic death of a guy who is roundly loved and who made this show format iconic and uniquely his own only proves to me the kind of douchebag that GR really is.

...I've been enjoying watching Gordon Ramsey travel to exotic places around the world to explore local food and cultures for years. He was doing that while Tony Bourdain was alive. What Ramsey does and what Bourdain did were really two different things. They always have been, and I don't imagine that Ramsey will start doing things any differently. This whole thread is just bizzare.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...I've been enjoying watching Gordon Ramsey travel to exotic places around the world to explore local food and cultures for years. He was doing that while Tony Bourdain was alive. What Ramsey does and what Bourdain did were really two different things. They always have been, and I don't imagine that Ramsey will start doing things any differently. This whole thread is just bizzare.
Plus the concept is nowhere near original to Bourdain- Andrew Zimmern did it seven years before Bourdain, and there were many others before him.

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-14-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Generically, you could call these shows "food travelogues" and they've been around a long time. Probably there were print versions before the age of television.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
That's what I was thinking. Fox has done a disservice to Ramsey, in my opinion, by insisting on aggressive and over-the-top behavior from Ramsey on their TV shows. While Ramsey can always be harsh, he's always seemed much more real on any BBC programming as opposed to Fox. His food travelogues were always interesting and I hope that this show is like his previous ones and not like the other Fox shows.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I don't like Gordon either. The first thing I thought of when I saw the ad for this new show, someone's gonna knife him on one of those episodes. He ain't no Tony.
Gordon is actually quite subdued on the shows where the directors don't have him really amp up the screaming asshole personality. Nobody is going to knife him; he will be respectful.

Last edited by pulykamell; 07-14-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Ramsay, Ramsay, Ramsay...

Who’s Gordon Ramsey?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:34 PM

It seems like for a while in the early 2000s, there was this trend of TV shows about British assholes coming to the US and being assholes to Americans. Wasn't there some show where a woman from the UK got paid to tell people they were terrible parents or something? And maybe some others? I always associate Ramsay with that trend. I've been living under a rock for the past decade or so, so I have no idea if his public persona has shifted since then.

Anyway, that trend always confused me. I'm sure there are assholes in the UK, but British people in general seem more polite and unassuming than most Americans. I did a year of study there, and almost everyone I ran into was very pleasant. I don't know why American entertainment companies suddenly decided we wanted to see British douchebags.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Starting with Graham Kerr.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:22 AM

...a scene from the new series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmD5HC06q0A

Typical Gordon Ramsey (albeit with lower production standards than normal IMHO) doing a typical Gordon Ramsey segment. Nothing like a Bourdain segment at all.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 AM

I thought Gordon Ramsey had dropped out of favour/retired from doing awful TV shows. Turns out he just moved to the US.

Could you take back Piers Morgan too? And Boris. We don't need Boris.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
If he didn't get shivved in Gordon Behind Bars, he's not getting knifed travelling around the world. He was great working with some pretty tough hardcases.

I don't think people have seen the normal side of Ramsay. His home cooking show (with his family) was utterly fucking delightful.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-15-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Anyway, that trend always confused me. I'm sure there are assholes in the UK, but British people in general seem more polite and unassuming than most Americans. I did a year of study there, and almost everyone I ran into was very pleasant. I don't know why American entertainment companies suddenly decided we wanted to see British douchebags.
It's probably connected with the Hollywood habit of casting English guys as the bad guys.

That, or it's a sneaky effort by the UK to export its assholes. We have plenty more, if you'd like?
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 AM

I don't mind Ramsay because I believe his assholery is just an act.

If you want to hate on a genuine asshole, direct your ire toward Andrew Zimmern (from what I've read).

mmm
Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 AM

Do you not have any other TV chefs/cookshow presenters who've done that sort of programme? I can think of several in the UK, going back 20 years or so

Mind you, I can't stand Gordon Ramsay or his shtick, either. It's just that this particular programme concept is hardly anyone's private property.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 AM

It sounds like some love him, some hate him. Fair enough. I'll seethe in silence and change the channel whenever I see him on TV going forward.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

It's slightly interesting that this show is going to be on the National Geographic Channel. I think all of his US shows have been on the Fox broadcast network. I assumed they had an exclusive arrangement but perhaps not?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
It's slightly interesting that this show is going to be on the National Geographic Channel. I think all of his US shows have been on the Fox broadcast network. I assumed they had an exclusive arrangement but perhaps not?
Murdoch/Fox owns NatGeo now. https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...nal-geographic
Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
It's probably connected with the Hollywood habit of casting English guys as the bad guys.

That, or it's a sneaky effort by the UK to export its assholes. We have plenty more, if you'd like?
Personally, I blame Simon Cowell. He was the OG English Arsehole in America.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
It's not where he's going, it's who he is.

Hey, you like the guy? Enjoy the show.

And don't ask me if anybody is ever permitted to do a show with the same format. I don't know. I just hoped it wouldn't be that guy.
IIRC Bourdain could be quite the pompous ass too. as for Ramsay, as has been said his persona is "tailored" for the specific show. apparently the US loves these kinds of shows to amp up the conflict to over 9000, so he played up the shouty stuff.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
IIRC Bourdain could be quite the pompous ass too. as for Ramsay, as has been said his persona is "tailored" for the specific show. apparently the US loves these kinds of shows to amp up the conflict to over 9000, so he played up the shouty stuff.
Borudain definitely was a pompous ass- his first foray in the public eye was via his book Kitchen Confidential, where he wanted to come off as the true "bad boy" of cooking, ala Donnie Walhberg of NKOTB. The book was to basically to let us know how "wild" he was during his cook phase- drinking, taking drugs, etc- IOW, no different than every other late night establishment in the world. He would even sign his name with a logo- a skull with a kitchen knife in its mouth

He's also one of the cooking assholes who believes you are a shitty lowlife American tourist if you go to Vietnam and eat at well known restaurants instead of going into the jungles and befriending a secret sect who can cook you wild porcupine- Bourdain apparently didn't realize most tourists don't travel with armed bodyguards and a camera crew and an unlimited money supply to be able to do this, I guess.

Really he was relatively low on the cooking show totem pole until he wrote that "poignant" piece about being five miles from where a bomb went off in Beirut (something thousands of other Beiruters experienced dozens of times), and then he became sort of a cult figure.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Personally, I blame Simon Cowell. He was the OG English Arsehole in America.
Oh yeah, how did I forget about that guy? I agree he probably was one of the main assholes responsible for the British Asshole Invasion.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
And Boris. We don't need Boris.
We've already got one, thanks.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
We've already got one, thanks.
Twoferone?
Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The original Iron Chefs.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Murdoch/Fox owns NatGeo now. https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...nal-geographic
That article is from 2015. Since then, Disney bought most of Fox, including its stake in the National Geographic Channel.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
That article is from 2015. Since then, Disney bought most of Fox, including its stake in the National Geographic Channel.
Well, I'll be damned. I hadn't heard that. Thanks.

Though in answer to your earlier post I was responding to, if Fox and NatGeo have the same corporate parent, it still explains why talent moves from one to the other, no? If he had an exclusive agreement with Fox, wouldn't Disney now own it and decide which of its brands he could appear in? Obviously I have no idea how such an agreement would be structured, so I'm talking out of my ass.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
How the fuck does that complete wanker even look at himself in the mirror?
He probably can't see the mirror as there's a pile of money in front of it for what he gets from all of his Vegas restaurants - who knows how long the lines can get to get into Hell's Kitchen (and note this is not where they make the TV series) just so you can order Beef Wellington with either Scallops or Lobster Risotto (but, for some reason, not both).
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I'll be damned. I hadn't heard that. Thanks.

Though in answer to your earlier post I was responding to, if Fox and NatGeo have the same corporate parent, it still explains why talent moves from one to the other, no? If he had an exclusive agreement with Fox, wouldn't Disney now own it and decide which of its brands he could appear in? Obviously I have no idea how such an agreement would be structured, so I'm talking out of my ass.
Murdoch kept ownership of the Fox broadcast network, Fox News and I think the regional sports channels (but may have already sold those onto others). Disney got the movie studio, TV production studio, a controlling interest in Hulu and other stuff. So at this point the shows on Fox (like the Simpsons) are largely produced by someone else.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Doork View Post
He's also one of the cooking assholes who believes you are a shitty lowlife American tourist if you go to Vietnam and eat at well known restaurants instead of going into the jungles and befriending a secret sect who can cook you wild porcupine- Bourdain apparently didn't realize most tourists don't travel with armed bodyguards and a camera crew and an unlimited money supply to be able to do this, I guess.
I've read and seen virtually everything Bourdain ever did - this is a total distortion and exaggeration of his attitude.