Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 AM

It's only half a cover, but the Run-DMC/Aerosmith cover of Walk This Way is better than Aerosmith's version.

I prefer Naked Eyes's version of Always Something There to Remind Me.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Richard Thompson -- "Oops I Did It Again"
https://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
Old 07-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Yeah, I'm sure we've done this thread before, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to repeat what I said last time. And I don't care. The Pet Shop Boys had the ability to take anthems and make them sound like they had written them. I give you Go West and Always On My Mind.

And yes, I'm perfectly fine arguing that these are now the definitive versions.

Speaking of me repeating myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
The Cowboy Junkie's version of 'Sweet Jane' is better than the Velvet Underground's version.
Someone said exactly this last time round. Was that you, Sam?

j
Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal View Post
My go to in this game is White Lion's take on Radar Love. Love Golden Earring's, but the White Lion version is just so powerful and soulful.

And a couple of Van Halen covers not usually mentioned, You're No Good (Ronstadt) and Summertime Blues (Cochrane). Summertime Blues isn't on a VH album, but there are a number of live versions out there, most notably South America 1982.
You're No Good has quite the history. It was first recorded by Dee Dee Warwick (Dionne's sister) in 1963. The following year it was a hit in the UK for Swinging Blue Jeans. The best known version, by Linda Ronstadt, was released in 1975. Everybody wanted to cover this song, including:

Tina Turner

Van Halen

Michael Bolton

Jose Feliciano

Elvis Costello
(Kind of an annoying take)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

As I always post in these threads, Wilson Pickett owns "Hey Jude."

I like Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light" better than Bruce's.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 07-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 AM

Personally I think that Siouxsie and the Banshee's cover of 'Dear Prudence' is much better than the original:

https://youtu.be/M6rrTROoZIw

Someone already mentioned Fiona Apple's version of Across the Universe, I also would prefer the Bowie, Laibach and other versions to the original.

I have something like 4 covers of 'All Tomorrow's Parties' that I prefer to the original.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM

I'm surprised we've come this far with no mention of "With a Little Help from My Friends." It's usually brought up rather quickly in these threads. Joe Cocker's version is vastly superior to the Beatles'.

I'll also throw my support behind Manfred Mann's version of "Blinded by the Light." Much better than the original.

Last edited by GESancMan; 07-26-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 AM

'2000 Man'.

I like KISS' ( Ace Frehley ) version much better than the original one from the Rolling Stones.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
You're No Good has quite the history. It was first recorded by Dee Dee Warwick (Dionne's sister) in 1963. The following year it was a hit in the UK for Swinging Blue Jeans. The best known version, by Linda Ronstadt, was released in 1975. Everybody wanted to cover this song, including:

Tina Turner

Van Halen

Michael Bolton

Jose Feliciano

Elvis Costello
(Kind of an annoying take)
I wasn't aware of the history. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time View Post
Alien Ant Farm's rendition of Smooth Criminal is way more fun than Michael Jackson's.
I like that version a lot, but I can't go so far as to say it's better than MJs in any way. It's one of MJs top 5 songs.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I like Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light" better than Bruce's.
"For You", and "Spirits in the Night" as well.

NFW on "American Woman".

Last edited by Helmut Doork; 07-26-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget "Killing Me Softly."

In 1996, the Fugees had a Grammy-winning release of this song, which is a wonderful version but, in my view, doesn't have the ethereal beauty that Roberta Flack brings to the song.

However, both releases are much better that the little-known original version of the song released by Lori Leiberman.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 PM

Frijid Pink - House of the Rising Sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40INnb6DnY
Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Ive always like Danielle Dax's and The Mission'sversions of Tomorrow Never Knows over The Beatles. The Beatles' always felt more of a production experiment than a venerated great song.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Mad World cover by Gary Jules (original by Tears for Fears)

Hurt by Johnny Cash (original by Nine inch Nails)

Common People by William Shatner (original by Pulp) No apologies -- I think Shatner's is better.

Wicked Games by Ursine Vulpine featuring Annaca (original by Chris Isaak)
Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Ive always like Danielle Dax's and The Mission'sversions of Tomorrow Never Knows over The Beatles. The Beatles' always felt more of a production experiment than a venerated great song.
Interesting. It never occurred to me that somebody might attempt a cover version of Tomorrow Never Knows. I wonder if there's a cover version out there somewhere of Revolution #9?
Old 07-26-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Common People by William Shatner (original by Pulp) No apologies -- I think Shatner's is better.
Yessssssss...well, I'm not sure I'd say it's better - Pulp's is great - but Shatner, Jackson, and Folds did a hell of a job.

Halestorm has a number of good covers...ones I think are better than the original (despite in all cases liking he originals...):

Heathens (Original by Twenty One Pilots.)

Bad Romance (Original by Lady Gaga.)

Get Lucky (Original by Daft Punk.)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Funny thing; five hours ago I told my summer school class "When I'm king, it'll be illegal to do a cover of a song unless it's 1) Different.... and 2) Better." This thread is proof it can be done.
Yes, a cover that is not different or better is just karaoke.

On that sentiment, it was suggested to me that covering David Bowie is incredibly difficult. They almost always come out as just lesser imitations. The only cover of his stuff that I could think of which is worthwhile is Chris Hadfield doing Space Oddity from the ISS. I don't think it's musically better, but is still satisfying.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:08 PM

The Grateful Dead used to play Tomorrow Never Knows. Cool version, but I don't know if I'd call it better than the original.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:16 PM

The Proclaimers - King Of The Road, said to be preferred by Roger Miller.

Smokey Robinson is said to have wept when he heard a version of Tears Of A Clown by the English Beat, but I don't know what that means.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:21 PM

I like Chris Cornell's version of "Billie Jean" a bit more than Michael Jackson's.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwgreen View Post
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXapBdTT4o"]
..........Smokey Robinson is said to have wept when he heard a version of Tears Of A Clown by the English Beat, but I don't know what that means.
Ah - yes, there is room for conjecture.

It's not a cover, but I'd love to know his reaction to A Little Soul by the English Pulp.

And yes, it was intended as an homage (see image of sleeve).

j
Old 07-26-2019, 03:38 PM

I'm a huge fan of Joni Mitchell, but I think her song Woodstock is just dreadful.

IMO the cover by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young is much better.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
I like Chris Cornell's version of "Billie Jean" a bit more than Michael Jackson's.
Alien Ant Farm's Smooth Criminal is also better than MJ's.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:17 PM

It's only a semi-cover because Kenny Wayne Shepherd performs on it, but the Five Finger Death Punch cover of Blue on Black takes the original up another notch to a most happy place.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:49 PM

Jerry Lee Lewis' "Breathless" is wonderful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGF5UbFYmK0

But X's version is sublime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjk-JLlGXrM

X also (far) surpassed The Doors with their version of "Soul Kitchen" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ikNYY0JgQ

B.B. King did his usual impeccable job on "Be Careful with the Fool," but Johnny Winter took it up another couple notches - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qcRNyW-sys
Old 07-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppenwitz View Post
Yeah, I'm sure we've done this thread before, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to repeat what I said last time. And I don't care. The Pet Shop Boys had the ability to take anthems and make them sound like they had written them. I give you Go West and Always On My Mind.

And yes, I'm perfectly fine arguing that these are now the definitive versions.

Speaking of me repeating myself:

Someone said exactly this last time round. Was that you, Sam?
Probably!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 PM

This is going to sound insane, but I don't really care: I think this version of Light My Fire is better than the Doors'. It's a cover "performed" by the animatronic animal band that used to exist at the now-defunct Showbiz Pizza Place. Unlike rival Chuck E Cheese, they didn't play "kiddie" music, they recorded dozens of rock covers by the company's in-house studio band, comprised of local Orlando-area musicians with serious chops who could actually play the hell out of the material.

I dig the Doors but I always thought Light My Fire was one of their musically weakest songs despite being best known. That cover is a vast improvement, in my opinion, especially the lead up to the outro where vocalist Duke Chauppetta belts it out far better than Morrison ever could. Chauppetta is an exceptionally talented guy; his speaking voice is 100% old-school Louisiana Italian, think Cajun but even harder to understand. But his singing voice was remarkably chamelion-like, he could sound like Bruce Springsteen one minute and Andy Partridge of XTC the next.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Someone mentioned Dylan. Probably the best cover song ever is Jimi's version of "All Along the Watchtower."
Absolutely.
Quote:
The Byrds version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" is also better than the original.
Nope. Sorry.

The Byrds' version was all over the radio when I was eleven years old. Loved it. Then a year or two later, I heard Dylan's original version for the first time, and it totally blew me away. And this was at an age when I was still listening to mostly bubblegum/teenybopper stuff, but I knew right away that Dylan's version totally outclassed the Byrds.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
This is going to sound insane, but I don't really care: I think this version of Light My Fire is better than the Doors'.
LOL. Man, that was cheesy.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

This is Pseudo Echo's cover of Funky Town (originally by Lipps Inc). One of my favourite ever 80s songs.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
......Common People by William Shatner (original by Pulp) No apologies -- I think Shatner's is better.
Hmm....

Well, it's not a disaster. I'll give you that.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
This is Pseudo Echo's cover of Funky Town (originally by Lipps Inc). One of my favourite ever 80s songs.
Oh, yes. So much better than the original.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Sadly, this is blocked in my country.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Tha was blocked. I assume this is the same song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-itlGNap4
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Revolution #9 cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Interesting. It never occurred to me that somebody might attempt a cover version of Tomorrow Never Knows. I wonder if there's a cover version out there somewhere of Revolution #9?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjfQSxcq0c

Last edited by saucywench; 07-27-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Draft View Post
Interesting. It never occurred to me that somebody might attempt a cover version of Tomorrow Never Knows.
Phil Collins attempted it. Can't really say he did a whole lot more with it than the original though.
https://youtu.be/AQCjIZKrqG0
Old 07-27-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
How can you take all of the funk out of Funky Town, replace it with New Wave synths and call it better?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash.
Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
Twist & Shout - The Beatles
Gloria- Laura Branigan
Hey Joe- Hendrix

Generally the first hit version is the best.

Respect- Otis or Aretha? Both are good.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
LOL. Man, that was cheesy.
It sounds cheesy because everyone's more familiar with the original. But if that recording had somehow come out first, the Doors' version would sound like a sloppy, muddy, tedious cover of it by a drunken bar band.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:33 PM

Leo Moracchioli does interesting heavy metal covers of famous songs on his U-tube channel. It's fun to watch his manic mannerisms, but just listening to them they are often seriously good (and I don't like metal particularly). The production and engineering particularly, the way he layers in all those tracks, playing all the instrument himself. But this cover of 'Sultans of Swing' featuring Mary Spender (another U-tube music personality) is another step above even his usual work. This is one of the best covers of anything I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0RV0kgdqJU

Footnote: seems some of the other examples given are where people specializing in *performing* songs recorded covers of songs by people who, at the time at least, were songwriters more than performers. I guess it still counts, but...
Old 07-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
Tha was blocked. I assume this is the same song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-itlGNap4
Probably, but that one is blocked for me! What a shamozzle.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
How can you take all of the funk out of Funky Town, replace it with New Wave synths and call it better?
By being exactly the right age when this version came out.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
I'm surprised we've come this far with no mention of "With a Little Help from My Friends." It's usually brought up rather quickly in these threads. Joe Cocker's version is vastly superior to the Beatles'.
Or not, depending on whom you ask:

Joe Cocker: With a Little Help From My Friends
With A Little Help From My Friends - you prefer the Beatles, or Joe Cocker?
Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 PM

James Taylor's covers of How Sweet It Is and I'm A Roadrunner are sooo much more soulful than the Motown originals ....
Old 07-28-2019, 03:42 PM

If it's not been said already, The Flying Pickett's acapella version of Only You is utterly wonderful.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRangerRich View Post
If it's not been said already, The Flying Pickett's acapella version of Only You is utterly wonderful.
Went looking for an a capella version of The Platters song. I don't think I've ever heard this song before. Who sang the original?
Old 07-28-2019, 04:13 PM

I discovered Michael Jackson's cover of "Ain't No Sunshine" today, and I like it better than the original by Bill Withers.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

B.B. King did his usual impeccable job on "Be Careful with the Fool," but Johnny Winter took it up another couple notches - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qcRNyW-sys[/QUOTE]

Quite so. Also, Johnny Winter did the definitive version of “Highway 61 Revisited,” so much so that Dylan now performs it in concert the way Winter covered it, much like he performs “All Along the Watchtower” the way Hendrix covered it.

Of course, the ultimate example of the cover exceeding the original is Aretha Franklin’s cover of Otis Redding’s “Respect.”
Old 07-28-2019, 09:14 PM

I like “When the Stars Go Blue” by Tim McGraw better than by Ryan Adams.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fIZ-2FB5a3g

I think “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” is even better with George Michael. Love them both though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKqMNDoR4o

“A House is not a Home” was Luther’s song after he recorded it. Originally recorded by Dionne Warwick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o887Doe00iM

I love the song “What Would I Do If I Could Feel” from The Wiz. I prefer the new version by Ne Yo, compared to Nipsey Russell’s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lTZqUuoPPMQ