Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Mr. PoopyButthole always was a fucking liar.
I have bad memories of him.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Just over two years since the last episode. Isn't that six months longer than Mr. PoopyButthole promised? (Or maybe that was the 'end of season 2' promise, come to think of it.)
If we take the criteria of last episode to first episode _really_ aired (rather than third series april fool exception, so episode 2 of that season), then we have:

Season 1-2 = 1 year 3 months
Season 2-3 = 1 year 9 months
Season 3-4 = 2 years 1 month

I'd take episode 1 to episode 1 (real, so 2.2), then its

Season 1-2 = 1 year 7 months
Season 2-3 = 2 years
Season 3-4 = 2 years 3 months

Last edited by Smid; 05-31-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
I have bad memories of him.
You just have to be different, don't you?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:35 PM

I've watched every episode from seasons 1-3 so many times I can recite every one of them, verbatim, by heart (though I can't always burp on command as necessary ).

Gettin' antsy here!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Gettin' antsy here!
Hopefully not in your eyes.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 AM
SDSAB

1. Get ants in your eyes
2. Run your ad on Interdimensional Cable
3. Profit!!!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
Cartoon Network's announced the release date for season 4: November 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdk61KN1to
Old 06-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Expectations are going to be HIGH.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:41 PM

You misspelled "fans".
Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM
SDSAB

Dan Harmon breaks down some iconic RAM moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfHd8MF0ExU
Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
You misspelled "fans".
Both can be true!
Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm rewatching the show and honestly, some of the season 1 episodes are great. I'd barely remembered some of them.

I wish I knew a show as good as this. Just love it.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM

If anyone needs an immediate fix, pick up the game Trover Saves the Universe. It's not Rick & Morty, exactly, but it's completely Rick & Morty. Watch some clips on YouTube, you'll understand what I mean almost immediately.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
If anyone needs an immediate fix, pick up the game Trover Saves the Universe. It's not Rick & Morty, exactly, but it's completely Rick & Morty. Watch some clips on YouTube, you'll understand what I mean almost immediately.
I missed this somehow, thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I'm rewatching the show and honestly, some of the season 1 episodes are great. I'd barely remembered some of them.
Once it gets going, it is as good quality as the rest of the seasons. The first episode is in effect a completely different show, trying to set up the whole show, but losing the characters. First few weren't quite as good. To me the Cronenberg episode is the first great R&M episode

Quote:
I wish I knew a show as good as this. Just love it.
First three seasons of Community, also Dan Harmon's show.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Is anyone currently watching or recording the Adult Swim 11 PM showings? I have a specific reason for asking - I moved and got a new DVR last month. Luckily, Adult Swim currently has all the episodes in rotation. However, the last few recordings (starting Saturday night, I think), have been blank. As in 30 minutes of a black screen with no audio. It's not a DVR or channel issue - the Bob's Burgers episodes on that channel an hour earlier are recording fine, every other show on the DVR is recording fine. No Parental controls are turned on. Haven't remembered to watch it live at 11 to see if anything happens. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 AM
Charter Member

Adult Swim's released the first clip from season four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlgZi1UHk_E
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 AM

This totally fucking rocks! Except for Jerry. Jerry sucks.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
This totally fucking rocks! Except for Jerry. Jerry sucks.
Pffft, you probably don't even like human music either.

I totally agree with the rocking

Last edited by BobBitchin'; 07-20-2019 at 04:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos L Halper View Post
Adult Swim's released the first clip from season four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlgZi1UHk_E

Oh man. . .Oh, geez. . . like, I dunno if I should watch this, knowing, like, I won't see any more until November. What. . .what if I REALLY wanna see more new stuff, an-and there isn't any?

Fuck it, I'll watch it.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
Pffft, you probably don't even like human music either.
I'm into grindcore and death metal so I'd bet there's plenty of people who would say that no, I don't like human music.

Seriously, tho, I fucking hate Jerry. Kill him off now. Or just write him out of the show, like maybe he and Beth get divorced and then we only have to see him like once or twice a season in cameos. Fucking hate him. In real life, no one wants to be around a Jerry on purpose.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm into grindcore and death metal so I'd bet there's plenty of people who would say that no, I don't like human music.

Seriously, tho, I fucking hate Jerry. Kill him off now. Or just write him out of the show, like maybe he and Beth get divorced and then we only have to see him like once or twice a season in cameos. Fucking hate him. In real life, no one wants to be around a Jerry on purpose.
I wouldn't go that far. He's a necessary comic foil to Rick and the other characters. That said, Jerry seemed to be a "regular guy" surrogate for the audience in the beginning but as the series has gone on, he has gotten a lot more unlikeable. You want to feel sorry for him at times but then you remember how weaselly he is. Also, Jerry is reminding more of George Costanza with each episode. He's even starting to sound like him.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
I wouldn't go that far. He's a necessary comic foil to Rick and the other characters. That said, Jerry seemed to be a "regular guy" surrogate for the audience in the beginning but as the series has gone on, he has gotten a lot more unlikeable. You want to feel sorry for him at times but then you remember how weaselly he is. Also, Jerry is reminding more of George Costanza with each episode. He's even starting to sound like him.
Oh, I get his role in the pantheon. But yeah, he's gotten more craven, more weaselly, more stupid with each season. I really thought they were going to be bold and have the divorce go thru, make him an occasional bit player. If they'd have done that for 2-3 seasons and THEN brought him back in as a regular, with some personal growth shown, it could have been seriously cool TV. But they went back to the original formula, prolly because it helps/enables Harmon's "story circle" that apparently has to be adhered to at all times.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Jerry seems a pretty necessary part of the dynamic, to me. You've got Rick--supremely confident--contrasted with Jerry--supremely insecure. Morty has these two potential role models to choose between.

That's over-simplifying it massively, but even so: without Jerry, they'd need to introduce some other uncertain, fretful, anxious adult character to keep the balance. Uncertain, fretful, anxious Morty has been designed to be the character with an arc: he starts out like his father. Will he remain that way, or be influenced by Rick? Will he go as far in the 'confident' direction as Evil Morty? Or find something in between?

I mean, isn't that the plot of the show?

Last edited by Sherrerd; 07-20-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Morty has these two potential role models to choose between.
No. This dynamic does not exist in the show. No one wants to be like Jerry. Jerry doesn't even want to be like Jerry.
Quote:
That's over-simplifying it massively, but even so: without Jerry, they'd need to introduce some other uncertain, fretful, anxious character to keep the balance.
Morty is the uncertain, fretful, anxious character that balances Rick. That's the whole point of his character; the fun is watching him grow as a person and in watching Rick grow as he becomes less like himself because of his fondness/need for Morty.

Jerry is superfluous except as a source of stupidity and as something to hate; he is a permanent and irredeemable foil. And again, in real life, people do not hang out with Jerrys on purpose: they are a drag.

ETA: Nice edits while I was typing my post.
Quote:
I mean, isn't that the plot of the show?
IMO, no.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-20-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Jerry is superfluous except as a source of stupidity and as something to hate;
I thought that was his purpose on the show.
Quote:
And again, in real life, people do not hang out with Jerrys on purpose: they are a drag.
So, just like in the show, then...
Old 07-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Jerry doesn't push MY buttons, but I get it.

At my house we call that a GILLIGAN. A character so bad any reasonable person would kill them rather than be subject to their stupidity.

It also covers bad writing, like when the make Sheldon (TBBT) clueless just for a joke.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd:
Morty has these two potential role models to choose between.
Quote:
No. This dynamic does not exist in the show. No one wants to be like Jerry. Jerry doesn't even want to be like Jerry.
Morty is the uncertain, fretful, anxious character that balances Rick. That's the whole point of his character; the fun is watching him grow as a person and in watching Rick grow as he becomes less like himself because of his fondness/need for Morty.

Jerry is superfluous except as a source of stupidity and as something to hate; he is a permanent and irredeemable foil. And again, in real life, people do not hang out with Jerrys on purpose: they are a drag.

ETA: Nice edits while I was typing my post.
I get that you hate Jerry. (Also that you apparently feel that edits made while you are typing constitute a personal assault on you. That doesn't strike you as a rather self-involved reaction? At all?)

But, yes, a person's father is at least a role model to be rejected, if not a role model to be followed. It doesn't make psychological sense for someone's father, in a nuclear family, to be summarily dismissed as "superfluous" by members of that family. They might hate him; they might despise him. They might declare that he's "superfluous" as a way of demonstrating their contempt.

But their contempt comes from the fact that they feel he's failing to fulfill the role he should fulfill. The fact that there is such a role means that the father is not superfluous; the expectations about that role are there whether the father meets them or not. The father is important, whether in a negative way or a positive way.

That's human psychology. And this show is successful, in part, because it doesn't ignore human psychology.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
Jerry doesn't push MY buttons, but I get it.

At my house we call that a GILLIGAN. A character so bad any reasonable person would kill them rather than be subject to their stupidity.
At least Gilligan was a nice guy. Jerry, as I mentioned in my previous post, is a COSTANZA. That's a character who's not only stupid but also a weasel and a coward.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I get that you hate Jerry. (Also that you apparently feel that edits made while you are typing constitute a personal assault on you. That doesn't strike you as a rather self-involved reaction? At all?)
No. I wrote that so that it would be clear that I quoted you before you made those edits; to be clear that I did not alter the text in a quote box.

ETA: I disagree with the rest of your post. The character is stupid and the show would be better without him, IMO.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-21-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:26 PM

My $.02 that nobody asked for: I like Jerry. I like to hate him. The meseeks episode wouldn't be nearly as great if not for him. And he chose the SENSIBLE problem for them to solve! He just sucked SO much, hilarity ensued.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:01 PM

Yep, Beth and Summer were the ones who asked for non-quantifiable things. Jerry's request was simple and direct.

Rick doesn't hate Jerry for his negative flaws. Rick hates Jerry because he's an average person who he can't easily get rid of. He cares for Beth, Morty, and Summer in his own way, and so for their sake he tolerates Jerry. But Jerry is mediocre, and mediocrity is probably the thing Rick loathes most in the entire universe.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]
Quote:
Quoth Sherrerd:

(Also that you apparently feel that edits made while you are typing constitute a personal assault on you. That doesn't strike you as a rather self-involved reaction? At all?)
I don't know where you're getting that from, but wherever it is, put it back. Bo in no way said or implied that your edits were a "personal assault". This post right here, though, just might be.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 AM

I don’t hate Jerry, and I’m glad he is on the show. It seems to me that most often when there is some kind of dispute over an ethical dilemma, Jerry is the more ethical one than Rick.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:53 PM
SDSAB

Yeah, Jerry often fulfills a useful dramatic or comedic purpose and the show wouldn't be the same without him. I've never wanted to kill him the way I have, say, Daphne's brother on Frasier.

Thanks for the link, Santos!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
[Moderating]

I don't know where you're getting that from, but wherever it is, put it back. Bo in no way said or implied that your edits were a "personal assault". This post right here, though, just might be.
To keep any discussion of moderation out of this sub-folder, I responded in the appropriate sub-folder:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...9&postcount=68
Old 07-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That's the whole point of his character; the fun is watching him grow as a person and in watching Rick grow as he becomes less like himself because of his fondness/need for Morty.
As they introduce each of the opening scenes into a different episode, it will be interesting if that is C-147 Rick picking a new packaged Morty in a future episode.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:13 PM

Wrong thread

Last edited by bobot; 07-22-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM
SDSAB

Happy Ricksgiving, beyotches!

:: gives hand sign ::
Old 08-31-2019, 01:34 AM
SDSAB

In Doper culture, not commemorating Ricksgiving is a dick move.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Well, god damn!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Exquisite LSD.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:41 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Wow, never saw that before!
Old 09-04-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Whoa!
Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM
SDSAB

The RAM line producer has died: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/tv-sh...ntl/index.html
Old 09-24-2019, 02:36 PM

Dang; that sucks. RIP Mr. Mendel; you done good.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-24-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Adult Swim's released a new Rick and Morty season 4 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw6BrzB1drs
Old 10-07-2019, 10:14 AM

So 5 new shows on 10 November is the take-away I got from that trailer. The shit in it looks good, but I'm very disappointed in just 5 new episodes.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Thought I'd post this here since it may not warrant its own thread:

Current listeners will already be aware, but if there are any former listeners of Dan Harmon's "Harmontown" podcast, you may be interested to know that the podcast is coming to an end this December. I've been a regular listener almost since the beginning. It's probably for the best, since Dan himself has often seemed bored with it (and I think he is busier these days with Rick and Morty and other projects), but they still sometimes have some chaotically fun shows (like last week's episode). I will miss it.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
So 5 new shows on 10 November is the take-away I got from that trailer. The shit in it looks good, but I'm very disappointed in just 5 new episodes.
Some people have been saying "Do we have to wait another two years to get another five more?"

My reaction is: "If you're lucky just two years, and if VERY lucky FIVE more."

Seems to be solidly in the realm of diminishing returns, and I suspect it from the end of Season 2 when it took that long to do Season 3.

So what else is Harmon doing nowadays? Tell me its the movie to accompany the six seasons...

Last edited by Smid; 10-08-2019 at 11:03 AM.