Old 03-17-2018, 02:13 PM

Back story: I have a Yorkie female, under 5lbs. (spayed).
I washed her 2 wks. ago to save her the stress of the groomer. She was looking raggedy so I took her to the groomer. Picked her up and she looks gorgeous as usual. The groomer told me she has 'rice' worms and to treat her for them. My vet is closed, but I will call him Monday. What the hell is 'rice' worms? I have never heard that term. Is she catchy, should I isolate her? Anybody know?

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-17-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Back story: I have a Yorkie female, under 5lbs. (spayed).
I washed her 2 wks. ago to save her the stress of the groomer. She was looking raggedy so I took her to the groomer. Picked her up and she looks gorgeous as usual. The groomer told me she has 'rice' worms and to treat her for them. My vet is closed, but I will call him Monday. What the hell is 'rice' worms? I have never heard that term. Is she catchy, should I isolate her? Anybody know?
Likely tapeworms.
https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-tape...s-treatments#1
Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM

Holy crap. Yea we're going to the vet Monday. She takes heartworm meds. She is the worst for licking everything she comes close to. Gotta break that habit.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Holy crap. Yea we're going to the vet Monday. She takes heartworm meds. She is the worst for licking everything she comes close to. Gotta break that habit.
Our young'un is a rescue from your neck of the woods. She was treated for heartworm before coming up this way, and it did a number on her from what her foster mom told us. Our vet concurred. The treatment, thankfully, was successful so all she needs now is her monthly Heartguard.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
The flea is an intermediate host for some tapeworms species. Be sure to ask about this.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:49 AM

Yea, we do the flea pill too. She is under 5lbs, so I am really concerned. How much of this worm could her system deal with. She doesn't have a pot belly or eat much or act starved. She is not an easy feeder, very picky, in fact.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yea, we do the flea pill too. She is under 5lbs, so I am really concerned. How much of this worm could her system deal with. She doesn't have a pot belly or eat much or act starved. She is not an easy feeder, very picky, in fact.
IME, tapeworms have very little impact on the host. The ones that cause issues are hookworms and whipworms.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM

I pit the little bastid rodents that get into my coldframes in early spring to dig in seedling pots for food. I set out traps for them again, but I must be attracting a smarter variety of mice because when I checked yesterday, all the traps were sprung without any mouse corpses in evidence.

Moved the bait to the back of the traps. This time you won't escape the hangman, you little pests. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Doggone it, why is it that damn near every quick breakfast out there has cheese in it? I don't WANT cheese. I can't be the only one who doesn't buy things like Jimmy Dean breakfast sammiches and the new Ore Ida one egg thingy I just saw a commercial for because they have cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I like a fair number of cheeses, but the only kinds I like in eggs tend to be Swiss or Mozzarella or Provolone. <grump> You guys are harshing my breakfast.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Some manner of critter has taken up residence under the back steps...I'm guessing it's some kind of rodent. The neighbor's cat likes to drop by every now and then for cuddles and a chance to beat his tail on the (wooden) steps in an attempt to flush out whatever is down there. I think he caught something a few weeks ago, but he's still very interested in the steps.

(Also, that little butt wiggle a cat does prior to pouncing is freakin' adorable.)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Not that far from Hoople! Say hello to Professor Schickele for me, if you get the chance.
He will have to remain un-helloed as Hoople is almost 300 miles away.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 PM

Awwww man, another one for the "if I find a product I like, they'll quit making it" list.

There's a line of cracker thingies called Nut Thins in various almond, pecan, etc. flavors. They used to have a hazelnut version. It's unavailable on every online retailer & I haven't seen it on shelves in ages, so I know the answer... but I just threw their Q&A line a query just in case.

Poop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
Doggone it, why is it that damn near every quick breakfast out there has cheese in it? I don't WANT cheese. I can't be the only one who doesn't buy things like Jimmy Dean breakfast sammiches and the new Ore Ida one egg thingy I just saw a commercial for because they have cheese.

Don't get me wrong, I like a fair number of cheeses, but the only kinds I like in eggs tend to be Swiss or Mozzarella or Provolone. <grump> You guys are harshing my breakfast.
Nah, I'm with you. I love cheese, especially melted cheese. I love eggs.

For some reason I really prefer them not be together, though. My drive-thru breakfasts are a bacon'n'cheese biscuit or bagel .. NO EGG.
Bonus points if they don't charge the same price.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Awwww man, another one for the "if I find a product I like, they'll quit making it" list.

There's a line of cracker thingies called Nut Thins in various almond, pecan, etc. flavors. They used to have a hazelnut version. It's unavailable on every online retailer & I haven't seen it on shelves in ages, so I know the answer... but I just threw their Q&A line a query just in case.
I'm with you, too. I have grown to love Oreo Heads or Tails cookies (although I loathe Nabisco). Suddenly, they're unfindable. I mean, great, I'm not supporting Nabisco, but boo, I really like those cookies.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Kayla hates eggs, and her gripe about bífast sammiches is that she canít find one without them. But since they come frozen, we just remove the egg before nuking the sausage and cheese croissant. You could maybe adopt the same strategy with cheese?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Kayla hates eggs, and her gripe about bífast sammiches is that she canít find one without them. But since they come frozen, we just remove the egg before nuking the sausage and cheese croissant. You could maybe adopt the same strategy with cheese?
It comes in bitty pieces, as far as I can tell. Or maybe that's the breakfast bowls.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
2 eggs, scrambled, 1 slice of cheese of your choice (I use pepperjack), 1 slice deli turkey, preferably mesquite smoked, black pepper, salt (I throw in a little Maui onion salt), other spices as desired.. Tear up the cheese and the turkey into the eggs and cook in a non-stick pan.

Just an easy-peasy breakfast. Provolone would work well with the turkey too, although it might need something to balance or set it off.

Bruegger's Bagels makes sandwiches with bagels, eggs, cheese, etc. My local one is not a chain store, so it has pepperjack too. My favorite is the Rosemary Olive oil bagel with egg, turkey and pepperjack.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
2 eggs, scrambled, 1 slice of cheese of your choice (I use pepperjack), 1 slice deli turkey, preferably mesquite smoked, black pepper, salt (I throw in a little Maui onion salt), other spices as desired.. Tear up the cheese and the turkey into the eggs and cook in a non-stick pan.

Just an easy-peasy breakfast. Provolone would work well with the turkey too, although it might need something to balance or set it off.

Bruegger's Bagels makes sandwiches with bagels, eggs, cheese, etc. My local one is not a chain store, so it has pepperjack too. My favorite is the Rosemary Olive oil bagel with egg, turkey and pepperjack.
I can cook eggs. I just don't allow myself enough time in the morning before work to do it. (I am not a morning person.) That's why the microwave breakfast meals are so tempting, but so far the only one without cheese is the Aunt Jemima eggs and sausage. Which is good, but some variety would be pleasing.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 AM

Well, once again the Siamese have decided the food they swore they couldn't live without is not what they like anymore. Of course I have a brand new bag of the stinking expensive crap. So they are staring at me flipping those brown velvety tails. They don't care it's after 1 and Wal-Mart is 35min. away.
I gave them an extra treat but that does nothing to stave off instant starvation and near death they are now experiencing. Ever time I look up they blink twice, trying to not faint from hunger. At least they have quit yowling. Give me patience.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:12 AM

Dammit, I don't Uni to be snowed off. It's only a lousy sprinkling and I bet it'll all be melted by midday; yeah yeah, icy roads 'cos they don't grit 'cos this is freak weather here, people coming long distance, safety blah blah, I know...

Snow days as a kid were great, but grown-up ones suck.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:26 AM
Mere Member

Quote:
I can cook eggs. I just don't allow myself enough time in the morning before work to do it. (I am not a morning person.) That's why the microwave breakfast meals are so tempting, but so far the only one without cheese is the Aunt Jemima eggs and sausage. Which is good, but some variety would be pleasing.
I don't like Special K in principal, but I got a good deal on their microwave breakfast sandwiches once. I like them and have been eating them ever since. They always come slapped together haphazardly and I have to rearrange the cheese, egg, and sausage. The three separate fairly easily. You might have to eat two of them if you need a heartier breakfast, but you might take a look at them in the store. Believe it when the directions say to cook on a microwave-safe plate.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
I pit the little bastid rodents that get into my coldframes in early spring to dig in seedling pots for food. I set out traps for them again, but I must be attracting a smarter variety of mice because when I checked yesterday, all the traps were sprung without any mouse corpses in evidence.
We have mice under our porch and under our deck during the winter. As long as they don't come into the house I'm OK with them in both places..

We've had a bunny explosion in my neighborhood the last couple of years. There's a mama bunny living in my neighbor's garden. I suspect there's also one under our deck stairs because our dogs tend to be verrrrrrrrry interested in snuffling around it when they go out to potty. The only evidence I've seen are bunny tracks going from the under the deck to the fence separating the front and back yards. The bunny tracks stop there. My younger dog is still trying to figure out how they get into the front yard when there's no bunny hole and the gap between the fence and house seems too small for a bunny...
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Dammit, I don't Uni to be snowed off. It's only a lousy sprinkling and I bet it'll all be melted by midday; yeah yeah, icy roads 'cos they don't grit 'cos this is freak weather here, people coming long distance, safety blah blah, I know...

Snow days as a kid were great, but grown-up ones suck.
The universities here very rarely call off because of weather. As a matter of fact, I've worked here over 22 years and I can only recall one, maybe two, times they called off because of weather. When I went to college, I think they only called off once. And that was a different school than the one I currently work at.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
the gap between the fence and house seems too small for a bunny...
You would be amazed how tiny a hole a bunny can slip through.
This post is not intended to provide reliable legal advice, nor is any other post by me in this or any other thread. I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Odds are good that I'm not even licensed in your jurisdiction. If you follow what you think is advice in this post and get screwed, don't come crying to me.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, once again the Siamese have decided the food they swore they couldn't live without is not what they like anymore. Of course I have a brand new bag of the stinking expensive crap. So they are staring at me flipping those brown velvety tails. They don't care it's after 1 and Wal-Mart is 35min. away.
I gave them an extra treat but that does nothing to stave off instant starvation and near death they are now experiencing. Ever time I look up they blink twice, trying to not faint from hunger. At least they have quit yowling. Give me patience.
When the cat we had growing up decided he didn't like a food, my parents' attitude was, "he'll eat when he gets hungry enough." It was dry food, so it just stayed in the dish, and he did, eventually, eat it.

I suggest a close reading of All My Patients are Under the Bed, by Louis Camutti (sp?). There's a whole chapter in there about a woman whose (also Siamese) cat ate ONLY Japanese crab meat. This became a problem after Pearl Harbor was bombed.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
The universities here very rarely call off because of weather. As a matter of fact, I've worked here over 22 years and I can only recall one, maybe two, times they called off because of weather. When I went to college, I think they only called off once. And that was a different school than the one I currently work at.
Yeah... It's due to the rural location. The main university is business as normal, but not our mini campus. Plus the fact that no-one is in any way prepared for snow here. The main road was shut half the night, and we literally got about 2 inches. Even at the other end of England, this wouldn't have been an issue; my primary school stayed open with more.

It's all gone and no more in the forecast at least, and it's only one class to reschedule, plus a study group thing. Was all prepped and ready for it though.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:41 PM

Dog#1 (yorkie) went to the vet, no worms. I don't know what the groomer thought she saw. UGH!, $60. nothing. I oughta charge the groomer.
Got new cat foods (yes, plural). We shall see how this goes. My life sucks lemons.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:05 PM

My rant of the day: Competitive Parenting

"Oh, well...Johnny is taking pre-AP level classes, you know. In middle school. In fact, he's going to be bussed over to the high school to learn algebra! And how's your son doing in school? Of course, Johnny is taking advanced science, too. What about overlyboy? Hmmmm? If he's not in advanced math and science, it's nothing to worry about, I'm sure."

Seriously? We're playing this game now? What the fuck kind of catty bullshit is this? Jesus Christ on a cracker, we're talking about middle schoolers for fuck's sake.

Yeah, I'd be proud as hell if my kids were in AP everything and advanced everything. Overlygirl is several years ahead of her peers and I think it's fucking awesome. Overlyboy? He has to try really hard to get good grades in 6th and he works his ass off for A's and B's. And I'm proud as hell of him for putting in the work to get there. So please, go fuck yourself and your son's pre-AP classes. Yeah, it's awesome - I'm not begrudging you that. I'd be proud, too. But competitive parenting is a steaming pile of horseshit. So shut the fuck up about it. Thanks.

Love,
Overly
Old 03-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Pre-cooked egg patties

Then all you need is a bagel, biscuit or muffin, cheese and meat of your choice.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:32 PM

I've got something I need to get off my chest.

I spent two hours yesterday trying to convince a seventeen year old girl to not kill herself. She was raped by a family member not very long ago. When her father found out he kicked her out of the house and called her a lying whore. She came to me because I'm friends with her sister, and she she knew I used to be into heroin. She was looking for a lethal dose. I refused to hook her up, and tried my best convincing her to keep fighting and live.

They found her body this morning. She hung herself.

I keep replaying that conversation, wondering if I could have said something that would have changed the outcome. I haven't craved H for a long time, but right now I want a hit more than anything else in the world. Instead, I'm just going to go drink until I puke, and then I'll go drink some more.

I fucking hate humanity right now.

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 03-19-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post

"Oh, well...Johnny is taking pre-AP level classes, you know. In middle school. In fact, he's going to be bussed over to the high school to learn algebra! And how's your son doing in school? Of course, Johnny is taking advanced science, too. What about overlyboy? Hmmmm? If he's not in advanced math and science, it's nothing to worry about, I'm sure."

Seriously? We're playing this game now? What the fuck kind of catty bullshit is this? Jesus Christ on a cracker, we're talking about middle schoolers for fuck's sake.

Yeah, I'd be proud as hell if my kids were in AP everything and advanced everything. Overlygirl is several years ahead of her peers and I think it's fucking awesome. Overlyboy? He has to try really hard to get good grades in 6th and he works his ass off for A's and B's. And I'm proud as hell of him for putting in the work to get there. So please, go fuck yourself and your son's pre-AP classes. Yeah, it's awesome - I'm not begrudging you that. I'd be proud, too. But competitive parenting is a steaming pile of horseshit. So shut the fuck up about it. Thanks.

Love,
Overly
console yourself with the likelihood that "Johnny" won't know what to do for himself in college once he doesn't have mommy and daddy planning out his daily schedule down to the minute. That's a recipe for a total tailspin.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Pre-cooked egg patties

Then all you need is a bagel, biscuit or muffin, cheese and meat of your choice.
o.O

<eyes light up>

THANK you. That is very, very interesting to me!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post

Love,
Overly
Boy I really hate that crap. My child is perfect in every respect, but I don't go around rubbing your nose in it. I joke, I love her and whatever she does I have been and will be proud of her. But I know exactly what you're talking about. It's like these parents are keeping score how many sports can they do and keep 4.0 average. These are the kids that burn out in college. I want nothing but for my children to be happy and productive. Heck, kids put so much pressure on themselves, you add peer pressure and parental pressure, something is gonna blow.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-19-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good place DIY breakfast burritos. Some scrambled eggs. A little bacon or sausage. Diced bell peppers or onions if that's your thing. Make em up and freeze a week's worth. Unlike most breads, flour tortillas freeze and defrost really well.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post

I spent two hours yesterday trying to convince a seventeen year old girl to not kill herself. She was raped by a family member not very long ago. When her father found out he kicked her out of the house and called her a lying whore. She came to me because I'm friends with her sister, and she she knew I used to be into heroin. She was looking for a lethal dose. I refused to hook her up, and tried my best convincing her to keep fighting and live.

I keep replaying that conversation, wondering if I could have said something that would have changed the outcome. I haven't craved H for a long time, but right now I want a hit more than anything else in the world. Instead, I'm just going to go drink until I puke, and then I'll go drink some more.

I can't think of what to say to you but feel somehow I want to say something; "sorry" seems pretty petty but I am truly sorry for your friend's sister and for you. You feel like you failed but you really did do something and that is more than any of the others in her life did. Try not to get so drunk that you hurt yourself.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Sounds like a good place DIY breakfast burritos. Some scrambled eggs. A little bacon or sausage. Diced bell peppers or onions if that's your thing. Make em up and freeze a week's worth. Unlike most breads, flour tortillas freeze and defrost really well.
This is also very interesting.

So, are we now a breakfast recipe thread?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
console yourself with the likelihood that "Johnny" won't know what to do for himself in college once he doesn't have mommy and daddy planning out his daily schedule down to the minute. That's a recipe for a total tailspin.
Yeah, I work for a financial institution, and got two very pushy CopterMommies today. It was a battle to get them to shut up long enough to get through the required authentication with the kiddos (one male, one female), let alone let kiddo participate in conversation about kiddo's account.

Helicopter parenting does NOT do Baby any favors, since Baby will be completely unable to function as an adult human being out from under the rotors.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:

That is so fucking awful. I wish I had something more useful to say. It's just....so fucking awful.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 PM

So sorry C.C., that is definitely a gut shot.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Iím so, so sorry.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:50 AM
Mere Member

God, Crazy Canuck. That poor girl just had too much pain to bear. She wasn't open to hearing what you had to say. Not your fault. You tried. I'm so sorry.

Last edited by Helena330; 03-20-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 AM

Holy crap, another bomb in Texas. In the fedx facility. This is getting crazy.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 AM

OMG, C.C., I don't know what to say other than please don't blame yourself. That poor girl.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I'm so sorry. I hope her parents are charged with negligent homicide. Assholes.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are religion based free clinics in this part of the country. I don't know their mission statement, but a friend of mine went to get birth control and they refused her. She went to the state operated Health dept. and was immediately put on the pill and offered many other services. She is definitely doesnt need children, anyone who knows her story will tell you this. It pisses me right off that a clinic purportedly is in place to offer assistance and health care to people who have the greatest need could operate with religious spewing clap trap like that. Ugh!
there was a report on NPR this morning about California has "clinics" operating to assist women who are pregnant. Some of them have no healthcare care professionals such as nurses or Doctors and apparently exist to talk women into having babies. they offer no terminations nor birth control options as they don't believe in it, other places that do have health care professionals but don't offer birth control or terminations because of religious beliefs. CA wants legislation that these unlicensed facilities have to have signs that that are not licensed and the others to have signage that they do not offer any of this type assistance. These clinics are up in arms and feel it is against their rights to Free Speech and religious freedom to not disclose this information.

They in fact get coached on how to draw in women who are wanting these services in order to deny the service to them.

I have no problem with someone operating a LICENSED clinic like this but disclose up front that services will not be available. But of course it is not their goal to treat women of like mind... they want to trick and coerce the other women.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We had a liquor store dog in my vicinity. He was a huge black German shepherd type. He looked real scary. But he wasn't, at all. Big old sweetie-pie.

(Dammit, pie again?)
Beckdawreck, since you mention pie and are in Arkansas, I also saw where you mentioned possum pie on another thread). One of my friends just published a book "Another Slice of Arkansas Pie." She has written a number of food/travel books about Arkansas. I had never heard of Possum pie or chocolate gravy for that matter.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:45 PM

I have seen that book. I will check it out. Yea, chocolate gravy is some good stuff. My kids just love it with biscuits. I am gonna make some.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
These clinics are up in arms and feel it is against their rights to Free Speech and religious freedom to not disclose this information.
The Free Speech argument shouldn't hold up, since SCOTUS has held that states can force doctors to lie to patients about the dangers of abortions. One would hope that telling the truth would also be OK.

The religion is a harder case. IIRC, somewhere a woman is suing about 24/48/72 hour waiting periods as infringing on her freedom of religion, so that will be interesting if it gets to SCOTUS.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
The Free Speech argument shouldn't hold up, since SCOTUS has held that states can force doctors to lie to patients about the dangers of abortions.
Cite?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhemar View Post
there was a report on NPR this morning about California has "clinics" operating to assist women who are pregnant.
Those fake clinics and "crisis pregnancy centers" are all over the place, and some states even subsidize them. They can preach whatever they want, but I have a massive problem with them doing it while disguising themselves as genuine medical practices and using government money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Looking back, I really question the value of "advanced" high school classes...I guess it all depends on the school system. One of my high school teachers cheerfully admitted that she planned her lessons and tests so that the lowest-performing kids in the class could pass. I was placed in the highest available math courses from junior high onwards, was enrolled in AP Calculus, and maintained straight A's the entire time, only to be deposited back into pre-calculus classes once I hit college. (My AP US History course was amazing though. The teacher went above and beyond, even bringing in a university professor for essay-writing sessions.)

And [[hugs]] to Crazy Canuck. That's just...
Old 03-20-2018, 06:58 PM

Well I have a sad face today. The lil'wrekker and 3 friends are flying to the beach for spring break. She will have a blast, I'm sure. I was hoping for a day or 2 of her face in my vicinity. She will be back the weekend.