Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 33,417
I don't see what's wrong with the general concept here. I object to someone being granted super-special public offices based solely on their marital status with no accountability to the public. If the president believes that his or her spouse is an appropriate person to whom to grant public policy tasks, then the spouse should be officially appointed to a named position in the executive department and should be subject to all the public participation/open government/sunshine laws that any government official or body is subject to.

Given that, I'm not quite sure I understand what Issa's proposal is. Didn't the whole Hillary Clinton health care lawsuit establish that she had to conduct public business in public?
  #52  
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Diogenes pretty much nailed it:

Quote:
Issa's only motivation is to harrass the Obama's and hope to contrive a political issue that Obama isn't being "transparent" enough. Obviously this has no chance to go anywhre -- it's not a serious or sincere attempt at real legislation (the last thing the Republicans would want is for an future Republican First couples to be saddled with this garbage). It's just about throwing rocks at the Obamas.
There has been no indication whatsoever that Michelle is going to be in charge of any policy or even be included in any policy decisions. This is pandering to the people who believed that "whitey" crap, who took her 'proud of America' comments out of context and twisted them to make her look like an angry black woman, who just really hate the fact that Barack and Michelle Obama even exist, let alone occupy the White House.

Fuckheads.

Last edited by Equipoise; 03-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.
  #53  
Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Stupid Republican Hyperbole of the Day

Call in the allies! Break out the rationing coupons! Start booking the Squirrel Nut Zippers!

WORLD WAR III IS COMING!

Quote:
Texas Sen. John Cornyn is threatening “World War III” if Democrats try to seat Al Franken in the Senate before Norm Coleman can pursue his case through the federal courts.

Cornyn, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, acknowledges that a federal challenge to November’s elections could take “years” to resolve. But he’s adamant that Coleman deserves that chance — even if it means Minnesota is short a senator for the duration.

A three-judge panel is expected to rule any day now on legal challenges to the November election.

...

Sen. Charles Schumer, the New York Democrat in charge of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, says that Minnesota gets its second senator as soon as the state case ends.
Boy, I'm getting the vague idea that Republicans really do not want Franken in the Senate, do they? If a Democrat were this obstructionist you'd hear the screaming of Republicans all the way to Mars.


This happened yesterday but it qualifies:

Michael Steel to Obama: "I'm done" [reaching out to you]

Transcript from CNN interview:

Quote:
STEELE: Look, I like the president personally, even though I think he has got a little thing about me, that I haven't quite figured out what that is.

CNN: You haven't spoken to him?
STEELE: No.

CNN: You've reach out?
STEELE: Several times, and I'm done.

CNN: So there is no bipartisanship going on there?
STEELE: Not, not that I know of.

CNN: Is there any professional jealousy?
STEELE: Not on my part. What would I be jealous of?

CNN: He's the president of the United States.
STEELE: I'm chairman of the RNC, so, what's your point? We both have leadership responsibilities and roles. I'm not equating the two. My point is: you are on your track. I'm on my track. You do your thing. I do my thing.
Like President Obama gives a shit what Steele thinks. Who does this twerp think he is? Is he taking cues from Howard Dean and Bush's close, bi-partisan relationship when Dean headed the DNC?

Last edited by Equipoise; 03-30-2009 at 02:07 PM.
  #54  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,678
Why would a Democratic President even bother talking to the chair of the RNC? He's nobody as far as the structure of the government is concerned. He doesn't represent any population at all, he's not in Congress. There's no REASON for Obama to give him the time of day.
  #55  
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Why would a Democratic President even bother talking to the chair of the RNC? He's nobody as far as the structure of the government is concerned. He doesn't represent any population at all, he's not in Congress. There's no REASON for Obama to give him the time of day.
No kidding! I had to laugh at Steele's "...I think he has got a little thing about me, that I haven't quite figured out what that is." That "thing" is probably along the lines of "who?" if someone were to ask President Obama about Steele. Steele's ego is too hilariously huge.
  #56  
Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,678
Steele seems to think he represents the Congressional Republicans or something somehow. His job is to raise money for the party and decide which national races that money should go to. It's not a governing position. It's not even an ideological position. It's a purely political position.

And I think the same of Howard Dean, if there's any thought that I'm downplaying it only because it's the RNC. Dean had the 50-state strategy. He was instrumental in growing the Democratic majority and getting Obama elected. But he would have had no reason to confer with Bush, at all. Of course, Dean knew that and never pretended that Bush was snubbing him or something.
  #57  
Old 03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
And I think the same of Howard Dean, if there's any thought that I'm downplaying it only because it's the RNC. Dean had the 50-state strategy. He was instrumental in growing the Democratic majority and getting Obama elected. But he would have had no reason to confer with Bush, at all. Of course, Dean knew that and never pretended that Bush was snubbing him or something.
I'm trying to imagine Dr. Dean whining to a reporter that Bush was snubbing him and has a "thing" about him. It's way hard.
  #58  
Old 04-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
I haven't kept up with this thread, though goodness knows I could put something here every day, it's just that I've been lazy, but these really deserved a resurrection.

Stupid Republican Bigotry of the Day

Move over Michelle! There's a new batshit lady in town! (ok, she's been around forever and has been batshit forever, but she's not as young and pretty as Bachman and so doesn't get the coverage).

Virginia Foxx: Story of Matthew Shepard's Murder A "Hoax" (VIDEO)

Quote:
As the House of Representatives debates an expansion of hate crimes legislation, Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-N.C.) has taken the rhetoric to a new level, claiming that those who say Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming for being gay are perpetrating a "hoax" on the American people.

"I also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay. This -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills," said Foxx.

A Foxx spokesman didn't immediately return a call. The Matthew Shepard "hoax" notion is a popular meme on right-wing blogs.

...
Disgusting vermin.

Oh, and...

Quote:
"Matthew Shepard's mother was in the gallery yesterday and I believe she was back today -- so I'm sorry she had to be around to hear it," Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) told Thrush.


Elsewhere, Byron York doesn't think black people are people too.

York: Obama is “Actually” Not So Popular, Because Some People Who Like Him Are Black

Quote:
Byron York has identified an important problem in our system of measuring public opinion, just the sort of thing that inspired the noble Framers of our constitution to wisely implement the three fifths compromise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron York
On his 100th day in office, Barack Obama enjoys high job approval ratings, no matter what poll you consult. But if a new survey by the New York Times is accurate, the president and some of his policies are significantly less popular with white Americans than with black Americans, and his sky-high ratings among African-Americans make some of his positions appear a bit more popular overall than they actually are.
Dave Weigel observes that all Democratic politicians are always much more popular among blacks than among whites, so it’s not clear why York would spin this as a unique attribute of Obama’s. But more to the point, what is York talking about here? How does the fact that much of Obama’s support come from African-Americans mean that he’s not “actually” popular?
I guess all the white people who supported white presidents get their popularity counted, but for some reason, black people who support a black president don't count at all.

Disgusting vermin. But I repeat myself.
  #59  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Kalhoun Kalhoun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I haven't kept up with this thread, though goodness knows I could put something here every day, it's just that I've been lazy, but these really deserved a resurrection.

Stupid Republican Bigotry of the Day

Move over Michelle! There's a new batshit lady in town! (ok, she's been around forever and has been batshit forever, but she's not as young and pretty as Bachman and so doesn't get the coverage).

Virginia Foxx: Story of Matthew Shepard's Murder A "Hoax" (VIDEO)

Disgusting vermin.
And this bitch had the nerve to say all this while Shepard's mother sat in the chamber? What the fuck kind of people DO that? What the fuck kind of brain damage are we talking about here?
  #60  
Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Merijeek Merijeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun View Post
And this bitch had the nerve to say all this while Shepard's mother sat in the chamber? What the fuck kind of people DO that? What the fuck kind of brain damage are we talking about here?
The kind that makes them angry they're not allowed to just kill fags?

-Joe
  #61  
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Squink Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun View Post
And this bitch had the nerve to say all this while Shepard's mother sat in the chamber?
Congress needs to pass a law that allows a mother in such a situation to carry an assault weapon, with a clip holding 40 rounds.

Last edited by Squink; 04-30-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: it's only a 'sitiation' until you correct the spelling'
  #62  
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Reno Nevada Reno Nevada is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
I guess all the white people who supported white presidents get their popularity counted, but for some reason, black people who support a black president don't count at all.

Disgusting vermin. But I repeat myself.
I believe that a black person's support counts for 3/5 of a white person's support. I think it is in the Constitution or something.
  #63  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
NurseCarmen NurseCarmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Zen Arcade
Posts: 8,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squink View Post
Congress needs to pass a law that allows a mother in such a situation to carry an assault weapon, with a clip holding 40 rounds.
This is a disgusting suggestion. She only would need one round. Why needlessly drive up the price of ammunition when there are already shortages?
  #64  
Old 04-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
Elsewhere, Byron York doesn't think black people are people too.

York: Obama is “Actually” Not So Popular, Because Some People Who Like Him Are Black
He also thinks black people are responsible for the recessession, since they're the only ones who couldn't afford their mortgages, or something.
  #65  
Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
The full crock is a bit more "reasonable", having a few grains of probobilium-126: its not toally off the wall.

The song goes like this: Clinton's housing laws put an end to red-lining, limiting a banks discretion in offering, or not offering, mortgages in the unsavory part of town. This put them in the awkward position of offering mortgages to people they had recently tipped. As a result, a financial debacle was inevitable. As simple as one-*-three.

(Me old man, who worked at HUD for a while, believe this right down to his toes...)

Last edited by elucidator; 04-30-2009 at 03:39 PM.
  #66  
Old 04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
filmore filmore is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,756
I think we should also require Sentate confirmation of the First Lady. Why does the president get to hand-pick who he wants in that position? We really need to vet candidates to be sure they're fully qualified.
  #67  
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,639
Totally.

You can't tell me having a First Lady named "Lady Bird" didn't massively detract from the nation's dignity.
  #68  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Acsenray Acsenray is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 33,417
We shouldn't have a first lady. Was Dennis Thatcher Britain's first anything?
  #69  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I think we should also require Sentate confirmation of the First Lady. Why does the president get to hand-pick who he wants in that position? We really need to vet candidates to be sure they're fully qualified.
Laura, having caused the death of someone, would have been right out. Has any other First Lady ever killed anyone?


Cue Starving Artist: "Hillary. VINCE FOSTER!"
  #70  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
We shouldn't have a first lady. Was Dennis Thatcher Britain's first anything?
Reactionary?
  #71  
Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
.... We really need to vet candidates to be sure they're fully qualified.
Senator Horndog (R-Hooha): Clearly, the job of thoroughly vetting the First Lady should go the Senator with the most seniority. Now, who might that be? Well, I'll be, its me! Stern duty calls, gentlemen....

Congressman Cravenlust (D-etroit): Back off, slim! I'm Chair of the Subcommittee on Urban Gentrification and Arena Acquisition, so, clearly, the job belongs to me!

Senator Horndog: What the fuck does Urban Gentrification have to do with vetting the First Lady?

Congressman Cravenlust: Nothin'. But I got a gun....
  #72  
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
....Cue Starving Artist: "Hillary. VINCE FOSTER!"
To be ruthlessly fair, I don't recall Starkers ever saying anything quite so brain-dead.
  #73  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Guinastasia Guinastasia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 51,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
We shouldn't have a first lady. Was Dennis Thatcher Britain's first anything?
And don't EVEN get me started on that Prince Phillip guy.
  #74  
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
To be ruthlessly fair, I don't recall Starkers ever saying anything quite so brain-dead.
To jog your memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
Then there were the numerous questions of propriety concerning Hillary's law practice and stock profits; Whitewater; Hillary's secret health care machinations; disappearing files; and of course, Vince Foster's odd death.
And most recently (that I know of):

Quote:
The history books are full of Clintonian skullduggery that couldn't be proven but which anybody with half a brain knows happened. Whitewater, dissapearing documents in the aftermath of Vince Foster's death which suddenly appeared in the White House living quarters, Clinton's behavior toward various women he regarded as bimbos (and which would have people screaming for prison time had he been a Republican), etc., etc. If it weren't for the blue dress, he'd be wagging his finger and denying Lewinski to this day.
That last one was a fun thread. So, ok, he's very careful about actually coming out and saying it (Hillary killed Vince, or more accurately, Hillary had Vince killed), but if you read between the lines, well...

Last edited by Equipoise; 05-01-2009 at 01:31 AM.
  #75  
Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Monster104 Monster104 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Sneaking up behind you
Posts: 2,961
Well, I for one like the general concept. Nothing wrong with more transparency and accountability in government, even if it's only the semi-official "duties" of the First Lady.

But it would at least be better to propose that any such measures take effect after the next presidential election, so it doesn't seem so blatantly targeted against Obama.

Last edited by Monster104; 05-01-2009 at 02:05 AM.
  #76  
Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
That last one was a fun thread. So, ok, he's very careful about actually coming out and saying it (Hillary killed Vince, or more accurately, Hillary had Vince killed), but if you read between the lines, well...
Yes...if you read between the lines - and you are a biased, unthinking hothead - you might come to that conclusion.

A more calm and reasoned reading of my posts reveals only that I feel many questions have been raised about the Clintons' behavior and character and curiously missing documents, and that they remain unanwered to this day. Among the questions raised by the Clintons' skullduggery is what really happened to Vince Foster. This is not the same as saying that Hillary engineered his murder.

For the record, I have never been of the slightest opinion that Hillary Clinton either killed Vince Foster or had him killed. Further, I would think - knowing my history as you do - that I'd have been trumpeting it to the heavens had I actually believed such a thing. So, so much for your critical thinking abilities, eh?

And thanks, luci. I can only imagine how it must have pained you to come to my defense (such as it was). Still, men of good character and all that . . .
  #77  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 AM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 27,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Yes...if you read between the lines - and you are a biased, unthinking hothead - you might come to that conclusion.

A more calm and reasoned reading of my posts reveals only that I feel many questions have been raised about the Clintons' behavior and character and curiously missing documents, and that they remain unanwered to this day.
Only to people that depend on glurge for their information.
  #78  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 AM
flodnak flodnak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: outside Oslo, Norway
Posts: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
We shouldn't have a first lady. Was Dennis Thatcher Britain's first anything?
Arne Olav Brundtland wrote a humorous memoir about being married to Norway's first (and so far only) female prime minister. He was expected to accompany his wife on official business from time to time, and found that his hosts had often never dealt with a man in his position before and were doing their best to wing it.

One incident I remember from the book involved a letter from Nancy Reagan, a mass mailing inviting the spouses of heads of government in friendly nations to join in her Just Say No program. Arne Olav opened the envelope to find a letter addressed to Dear Fellow First Lady:
__________________
An American flodnak in Oslo.
Do not open cover; no user serviceable parts inside.
  #79  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 AM
Broomstick Broomstick is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 26,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
Regulating the First Lady

What the hell? So, they don't like Michelle's supporting girls in high school, vegetable gardens or military families? Or they just want to know what she's doing in advance so protesters can show up? What is the "historic role of the first lady" anyway? Have they ever heard of Eleanor Roosevelt? I know that criticizing the First Lady isn't off-limits, but legislating her behavior? Why are Republicans so eager to look so fucking stupid?
I think the issue they have is that she is not a "traditional" first lady as they think would be proper, in the sense that she has an education, a law career, isn't afraid to speak her mind, and worst of all, she is a Democrat.
  #80  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Equipoise Equipoise is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Yes...if you read between the lines - and you are a biased, unthinking hothead - you might come to that conclusion.
Man, you're 5 years behind the times. I'm not a hothead, not anymore. I certainly used to be. You used to call me that and you were right, back then. Before the 2004 election I was angry, seething all the time about what was going on on a day to day basis that should have made any normal person burst multiple blood vessels. Lies, Death, Destruction. Every single day! When Bush won again, all my anger drained away when I realized that events just had to play themselves out, that people had to come to their own realization what a massive, horrifying clusterfuck Bush was, and there wasn't anything I could do to hurry it along, so why be angry? I was just making myself sick.

A couple of years later, give or take, it finally started to happen. People finally started to wake up to a bit of what many of us knew before the 2004 election, though the general public still didn't know a fraction of it. Still doesn't (for instance, ask a man on the street if he knows that billions in cash, pallets of actual American dollars, went missing in Iraq before the election, something that, had it happened on a Democrat's watch, every person in the universe would know about).

I pretty much gave up following politics after the 2004 election, and beyond happening to glance at headlines as I passed by a paper box or seeing the odd Subject Line, paid no attention whatsoever to the primaries or the Democratic convention (didn't watch one second of it except by accident when it happened to be on in a restaurant when I walked in. Michelle was speaking. I glanced up at the TV and then walked away, a far cry from recording every single second of the 2004 convention, I loved my Tivo), and why?

Because during the primaries I just assumed Hillary would win, and then up to and during the convention I just assumed McCain would win. I wasn't going to get involved, no way no how. The loss would hurt too much. Better to keep a distance from it all. Then everything changed when Palin came onboard. For the first time, I paid attention! God I love Palin. She got me to open my eyes, and boy I've had fun since. Every day is a new adventure politically. I have such joy and glee watching politics now and I'm sorry now I wasn't part of the process of making President Obama's presidency happen in the early and mid stages. I envy those people who believed from the start and all along, and made it happen. I thank them profusely and apologize for not doing my part (other than donating money).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
A more calm and reasoned reading of my posts reveals only that I feel many questions have been raised about the Clintons' behavior and character and curiously missing documents, and that they remain unanwered to this day. Among the questions raised by the Clintons' skullduggery is what really happened to Vince Foster.
Uh, Vince Foster committed suicide. And, pardon me, but the rest of that paragraph is nothing more than wingnuttery gone wild. "skullduggery" kills me! You're so funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
This is not the same as saying that Hillary engineered his murder.
Well I guess you got me there. You're right and I'm sorry. Not a lot, but a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
For the record, I have never been of the slightest opinion that Hillary Clinton either killed Vince Foster or had him killed. Further, I would think - knowing my history as you do - that I'd have been trumpeting it to the heavens had I actually believed such a thing.
Good for you then, maybe there's hope for you yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
So, so much for your critical thinking abilities, eh?
Have I ever crowed about my critical thinking abilities? I don't think so. I'm not exactly one of the most respected members of the Dope, but I have fun. You provide a lot of it. Thank you.
  #81  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
NurseCarmen NurseCarmen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Zen Arcade
Posts: 8,292
House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) released a fearmongering video, asking if Americans "feel safer" under President Obama. But one image in the video is Obama meeting with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus. Way to get the Latino vote!
  #82  
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 AM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
....And thanks, luci. I can only imagine how it must have pained you to come to my defense (such as it was). Still, men of good character and all that . . .
Sorry, Starkers, but the quotes suppled are damning. Well, darning. Clearly, you are trying to make innuendo and suggestion accomplish what fact will not. While it is true that a merciless interrogation of the wording will not support a charge that you made a direct accusation that Hillary did Foster, you tired to suggest and infer such a scurrilous thing. An inference that you know as wll as I is a staple of rightard nuttery.

I am embarassed for us both. Go lay down by your water dish. Bad Starkers! Bad!
  #83  
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,281
So what did happen to Foster and to what degree, if any, was HRC involved in whatever it was that may or may not have happened to Foster?
  #84  
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 36,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
So what did happen to Foster and to what degree, if any, was HRC involved in whatever it was that may or may not have happened to Foster?
It's a perverted story related to Monica Lewinsky and her threatened access to presidential dick.
  #85  
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
Even Ken Starr concluded that the Vince Foster conspiracy was a load. Foster killed himself. The end. No mystery. No "unanswered questions."

Starr was also unable to find single shred of dirt on the Clintons from any other aspect of the Whitewater Inquisition. He was about to throw in the towel on it when Blowjob-gate landed in his lap.
  #86  
Old 05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
So to speak.
  #87  
Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
descamisado descamisado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: At a Candlelight Supper
Posts: 6,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
So to speak.
Rim . . .BA DUM BUM!
  #88  
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Sorry, Starkers, but the quotes suppled are damning. Well, darning. Clearly, you are trying to make innuendo and suggestion accomplish what fact will not. While it is true that a merciless interrogation of the wording will not support a charge that you made a direct accusation that Hillary did Foster, you tired to suggest and infer such a scurrilous thing. An inference that you know as wll as I is a staple of rightard nuttery.

I am embarassed for us both. Go lay down by your water dish. Bad Starkers! Bad!
"Aides to Hillary Clinton were investigated for the removal of unidentified files from Foster's office before the Secret Service or FBI could secure the premises"

and

"As it happened, how the White House and Hillary Clinton in particular handled Foster's files and documents immediately after his death became an issue of much investigation itself."


Both of the above are from Wiki on Vince Foster, and they say essentially the same thing I said (though admittedly with less animus ). Even Equipoise has conceded that upon closer examination my words do not imply Hillary's complicity in Foster's death.

Hillary Clinton is a sneaky, slippery, underhanded, dishonest person...just like her husband. The fact that the files disappeared only to be mysteriously located afterward in the White House living quarters is what I was referring to.
  #89  
Old 05-01-2009, 03:01 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 46,774
There was an investigation, so there must have been facts, is that it?
  #90  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:43 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
Then why mention it? Why even bring it up, since you as fully aware as we that there isn't any there there? Unless, as I said, you are trying to achieve by innuendo what you cannot accomplish by facts.
  #91  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16,840
The 'there' which was there was to remind people of Hillary Clinton's long record of dishonesty, chicanery and file/evidence manipulation.

Interesting information regarding the disappearing Foster/Whitewater files and Hillary's chicanery with regard to that subject can be found here.

Hopefully the fact that it comes from the NY Times and was written by William Safire will prevent the usual claims of partisanship that often accompanies attempts to highlight one of the numerous Clintonian wrongdoings.

As far as my comment about Foster's 'odd death', I was merely referring to the flurry of suspicious White House activity that surrounded it and not that Hillary herself was complicit in his death. As I said to Equipoise, if I'd had any reasonable belief that Hillary Clinton caused Vince Foster's death, I'd have been trumpeting it to the rooftops instead of couching it in innuendo in a scant couple of posts having to do with her unsuitability for the presidency.
  #92  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Fish Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Olympia, Washington
Posts: 5,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
A more calm and reasoned reading of my posts reveals only that I feel many questions have been raised about the Clintons' behavior and character and curiously missing documents, and that they remain unanwered to this day.
Oh, my stars. If only Dick Cheney had declassified the documents showing all the good that came from that blowjob, the ends would have justified the means.
  #93  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
William Safire? Well, can't get more non-partisan than that!
  #94  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Starving Artist Starving Artist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 16,840
Still, do you deny his credibility? Do you question the facts as he outlined them?
  #95  
Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
So, in order to support your view of this trivial incident, you insist that I carefully review the facts of this minor footnote to history. Perhaps then, I might better appreciate your stance on this utterly vapid event?

And to accomplish this end, you would have me read one of the snottiest pedants to ever tap a typewriter key?
  #96  
Old 05-01-2009, 07:37 PM
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 27,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Still, do you deny his credibility? Do you question the facts as he outlined them?
I guess I have to deny his credibility because he never bothered to write a correction AFAIK:

"Text: Final Report of the Independent Counsel in Regards to the Whitewater Investigation

Robert W. Ray
Independent Counsel

January 5, 2001

VOLUME III. -- WASHINGTON, D.C. INVESTIGATION
Part E -- The Discovery and Removal of Documents from Vincent W. Foster Jr.'s Office"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...er_032002.html
Quote:
Both circumstantial evidence (principally phone records and entry and exit logs) and testimonial evidence exist to create the inference that some people might have endeavored to tamper with 316 documents in Foster's office, or counseled others to do so.

All people involved in those conversations denied such actions. Additionally, without any direct evidence -- in particular, without testimony from anyone who claimed to have participated in any endeavor to obstruct the federal investigations – there was simply insufficient evidence or proof of any kind showing anyone committed perjury, made false statements or obstructed the due administration of justice by refusing to provide relevant records.

Accordingly, no criminal prosecutions about this aspect of the Independent Counsel's investigation will be brought. This matter is now closed.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 05-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.
  #97  
Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Jack Batty Jack Batty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Astral Plane.
Posts: 14,608
Vince Foster invented the Swine Flu.
  #98  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 36,997
I thought Hillary did, and killed Vince with it.
  #99  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Still, do you deny his credibility? Do you question the facts as he outlined them?
Nah, just as you outline them.
  #100  
Old 05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
elucidator elucidator is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,268
So, this whole Vince Foster diversion into nowheresville....is this the stupid idea for Friday, or Saturday?
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017