Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

And in today's "Good guy with a gun in the classroom" episode, we have:

Quote:
At approximately 1:20pm March 13 at Seaside High, Dennis Alexander, a math and administration of justice teacher who is also a Seaside city councilman and a reserve officer for Sand City Police Department, accidentally discharged his firearm during a gun safety demonstration.

According to a statement from Seaside Police, no one was seriously injured in the incident, although Seaside Police Chief Abdul Pridgen says a male student was struck in the neck by "debris or fragmentation" from something overhead, and was transported to the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula for treatment.
Update:
Quote:
Sand City Police Chief Brian Ferrante says that Alexander had his last gun safety training "a little less than a year ago." He says his department will do an administrative investigation of the incident once Seaside PD completes its investigation.

Ferrante adds that Alexander has been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of his department's investigation, which will determine if any of the department's policies regarding the safe handling of firearms were violated.
Further update (it just gets better and better, folks):

Quote:
Diffenbaugh, in a follow up conversation, says it's against state law and district board policy to have a non-authorized individual carry a firearm on campus, and that Alexander was not authorized by the school district to have one.

"We'll need to revisit protocol to make sure all staff members understand that is the policy," Diffenbaugh says.
And folks think arming teachers with a few hours' training is a great idea....
Old 03-14-2018, 11:13 AM

Well, at least we would have fewer students shot on purpose.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

The price of freedom, man.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:33 PM

nm

Last edited by eschereal; 03-14-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:50 AM

ICWMI,
In a separate incident in Alexandria, Virginia on Tuesday, a school resource officer — a five-year veteran of the Alexandria Police Department — accidentally discharged his weapon while inside George Washington Middle School. No one, including the officer, was injured. “I just think it was an accident that happened, and we’re going to investigate it and find out, and we’re going to move forward,” Capt. D.C. Hayes told NBC Washington.
He thinks it was an accident. Or maybe it was intended to be ironic, happening on student walkout day.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
ICWMI,
In a separate incident in Alexandria, Virginia on Tuesday, a school resource officer — a five-year veteran of the Alexandria Police Department — accidentally discharged his weapon while inside George Washington Middle School. No one, including the officer, was injured. “I just think it was an accident that happened, and we’re going to investigate it and find out, and we’re going to move forward,” Capt. D.C. Hayes told NBC Washington.
He thinks it was an accident. Or maybe it was intended to be ironic, happening on student walkout day.
There are no accidents.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Dennis Alexander’s gun went off around 1 pm while he was teaching a course about gun safety. He was pointing his gun at the ceiling when it went off, and pieces of the ceiling hit the ground.
Maybe he ain't the right guy for this job.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Maybe he ain't the right guy for this job.
He had one job to do. One job.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
I'm gonna wall'o'text the living shit out of the following Mike Spies New Yorker piece because a.) paywalled and b.) this shit needs to be wall'o'texted - all her fucking putridness needs to be comprehensively laid out to bask in a vulture-ridden Death Valley sun.
[Moderating]
Unfortunately, your wall of text is in hella violation of the board's rules regarding copyright, to which I now refer you. Please limit direct quoting of works under copyright to a representative sample, and summarize additional points you want to address in your own words.
[/Moderating]

Last edited by Miller; 03-15-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"In 2010, 91 percent of the children killed by guns around the world were American, where, according to the data, 19 children die from or are treated for gunshot wounds each day."
http://www.newsweek.com/guns-kids-th...e-death-627209

Let that sink in. From around the world, in war zones, to drug gangs to fascist governments, 91% of all children killed by guns die here in the Land of the Free.

Sickening.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post

Let that sink in. From around the world, in war zones, to drug gangs to fascist governments, 91% of all children killed by guns die here in the Land of the Free.

Sickening.
You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

How many of those "children" are 17 1/2 -year old gang members?
Old 03-15-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Do you consider 17 1/2 year old people "children" or not?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
[Moderating]
Unfortunately, your wall of text is in hella violation of the board's rules regarding copyright, to which I now refer you. Please limit direct quoting of works under copyright to a representative sample, and summarize additional points you want to address in your own words.
[/Moderating]
Ack.
Got it.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I don't know - how many?

Plus you can probably totally count those as DGU since they were defending themselves from other 17 1/2 year olds with guns.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM

The FEC is investigating whether the NRA acted as a conduit for Russian financing of the Trump campaign. The allegation has been previously reported, but the fact that the FEC is investigating is new (at least to me).

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...eled-money-nra

NRA members: if it is determined that the NRA facilitated illegal campaign financing, will you renounce the organization? I know that NRA membership has made its peace with the obvious racism of the group. Would selling out the country to a foreign rival be a bridge too far for you fierce defenders of our freedoms?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
NRA members: if it is determined that the NRA facilitated illegal campaign financing, will you renounce the organization? I know that NRA membership has made its peace with the obvious racism of the group. Would selling out the country to a foreign rival be a bridge too far for you fierce defenders of our freedoms?
Nah...
Old 03-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post

Sickening.
I read the study, and the 91% number is actually presented as:

Quote:
International studies indicate that 91% of firearm deaths of children aged 0 to 14 years among all high-income countries worldwide occur in the United States, making firearm injuries a serious pediatric and public health problem in the United States.
Still horrifying, IMO, but makes more sense.

ETA: cite

Last edited by krondys; 03-17-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added cite
Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
International studies indicate that 91% of firearm deaths of children aged 0 to 14 years among all high-income countries worldwide occur in the United States, making firearm injuries a serious pediatric and public health problem in the United States.
OK, now having more information about the demographics of the study, I withdraw my comment about 17 1/2-year old gang members.

But for the record, I consider anyone over 14 a youth or a minor, not a "child".
Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 AM

Do you need more bullets from an AR-15 to kill a minor as you do to kill a child?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Do you need more bullets from an AR-15 to kill a minor as you do to kill a child?
I'd want at least an AR-18 or AR-21 for killing minors myself!

CMC fnord!
Somehow I'm sure no one will get that joke.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM

But to kill old age pensioners you must have at least an AR-62.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
Better known as the A-AR-P.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
And if it is hordes of hippies that are coming at you, nothing beats the AR-420.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
And if it is hordes of hippies that are coming at you, nothing beats the AR-420.
Any Stoner rifle would be sufficient.

CMC fnord!
Old 03-17-2018, 02:08 PM

I think a Grock-9mm would stop them cold. You might not even have to fire a shot.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The FEC is investigating whether the NRA acted as a conduit for Russian financing of the Trump campaign. The allegation has been previously reported, but the fact that the FEC is investigating is new (at least to me).

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...eled-money-nra

Anyone? Any NRA members want to comment on this? Granted, it's still under investigation, but if it does turn out that the NRA passed money from Russians to the Trump campaign, will you continue to support the organization?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I think a Grock-9mm would stop them cold. You might not even have to fire a shot.
The number of deaths from a Gronk are not inflated
Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batano View Post
The number of deaths from a Gronk are not inflated
Hey, Rob had nothing to do with Deflategate!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 AM

Apparently, a gun really ups the ante in sibling disputes.

A nine-year-old boy shot his 13-year-old sister in the head during a fight over a video game controller. The girl is dead.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post

A nine-year-old boy shot his 13-year-old sister in the head during a fight over a video game controller. The girl is dead.
Just another example of the pernicious nature of video games!

CMC fnord!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Just another example of the pernicious nature of video games!

CMC fnord!
If they hadn't had such easy access to video games none of this would have happened.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post

Shouldn't this be in the Good News thread? That Mississippi girl won't be hogging the game controller anymore.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

IOW, a successful DGU.

The gun user is the Good Guy by default, right?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM

A gun was just laying around? I guess that's just the price you pay to be prepared to immediately attack the roving bands of home invaders that currently have the country scared senseless.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
A gun was just laying around? I guess that's just the price you pay to be prepared to immediately attack the roving bands of home invaders that currently have the country scared senseless.
I can hear it now:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHugger
This was an irresponsible gun owner. We can't enact any regulations or laws that will impede the responsible, good guy with a gun because idiot's children are killing themselves.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 PM

2 Students Disciplined For Going To Gun Range Outside Of School Hours

Quote:
An attorney from a New Jersey gun organization association announced that a lawsuit may be pending after a school disciplined two students for going to a gun range outside of school hours.

There was no threatening context to the pictures or anything that would otherwise cause alarm.

The principal said that Muro’s post was not accurate; however, he said he would not elaborate further and say what exactly was inaccurate because the matter involved high school students.
I'll be interested to know what inaccuracies they're declining to specify, but I'd bet a significant amount that the story is essentially what has been published.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
2 Students Disciplined For Going To Gun Range Outside Of School Hours

I'll be interested to know what inaccuracies they're declining to specify, but I'd bet a significant amount that the story is essentially what has been published.
There seems to have been a rather acrimonious school board meeting related to this issue on Monday night. It doesn't clear things up very much, but it certainly does seem to suggest that the school had some sort of rule against students using guns even when not on school property. Here's another story on the meeting.

It sounds like the school did have a silly policy, and seems to have suspended the students for posting pictures of themselves at the gun range (although the school board refuses to confirm or deny the suspension). The policy has now apparently been altered, but it looks like it will take some time for the outrage to die down.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 AM

My understanding of FERPA is that the school can't release information about student disciplinary matters, so we're probably not going to get more details from them. Have the students or their parents made any statements on the issue? I see lots of quotes from third parties, but no confirmation of the facts of the matter.

If the story is as presented in the original report -- the students just posted pictures of themselves at a range after school hours -- then yes, this is stupid. I'd like to get more facts though.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
If the story is as presented in the original report -- the students just posted pictures of themselves at a range after school hours -- then yes, this is stupid. I'd like to get more facts though.
The Asbury Park Press reports (my bold):
Quote:
School Superintendent Craig Wigley said information circulated on social media about the incident was “incorrect," and noted that school officials were unable to talk about the incident because of the students' privacy rights.

Wigley and school board attorney Chris Supsie said the school’s weapons policy was not invoked, and no student has been disciplined under it. The superintendent added that no rights were violated but that the school district's weapons policy would be modified for clarity.

<snip>

Supsie said the district's existing policy is being clarified so that it would apply to a student who performed a criminal activity, even off-campus, using a firearm; was found to possess an illegal firearm; or brought any firearm onto school property or a school bus.

School board President Robert C. Klaus II said the board was not anti-gun, and noted that he as well as a subset of the board are members of the National Rifle Association.
So, I'd still like to find out more about this case. Is it really a case of a school overreacting and violating a couple of Amendments, or is it a case of students being punished for something else and third parties glomming onto the case to advance their agendas? Unfortunately, we may never know since the school can't divulge details and the families apparently aren't talking.

---------------------

On an unrelated note, I posed this question based on reports that the FEC had launched an investigation into allegations that the NRA had acted as a conduit for Russian funds to the Trump campaign:
Quote:
Anyone? Any NRA members want to comment on this? Granted, it's still under investigation, but if it does turn out that the NRA passed money from Russians to the Trump campaign, will you continue to support the organization?
It turns out that the reports of the FEC investigation were premature. TPM has isued a correction, saying:
Quote:
News broke late last week that the Federal Election Commission had opened a preliminary inquiry into whether Russians illegally channeled money to the National Rifle Association to support Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.

But the FEC’s move, which came after a complaint from a Democratic group, amounts to little more than a standard response, experts say. It will likely be months before the matter moves up through the appropriate channels and the controversy-averse panel of commissioners votes on whether to launch a formal investigation. And they’re highly unlikely to vote to do so.
So, the FEC probably isn't going to take up the case. I hope the allegations are being looked into, and ISTR that Mueller's team was supposed to have taken an interest. But, in the interest of accuracy, it should be noted that the earlier reports saying the FEC was investigating were incorrect.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 AM

YouTube has started removing some gun videos. So some producers of gun-related videos are taking their content to Pornhub.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntent=20180322

Great. So now when I'm searching for fetish porn I have to be careful I don't run into any really crazy shit.

Check out the haircut on the guy pictured in the linked article. The shaved head used to be the sign of the white supremacist. Now it's the "fashy" cut. I really hope those assholes don't start ruining porn for the rest of us. I mean this somewhat seriously: porn sites tend to be some of the least political and judgemental places on the internet. We got a good thing going here, people! Don't let it get screwed up!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
YouTube has started removing some gun videos. So some producers of gun-related videos are taking their content to Pornhub.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ntent=20180322

Great. So now when I'm searching for fetish porn I have to be careful I don't run into any really crazy shit.

Check out the haircut on the guy pictured in the linked article. The shaved head used to be the sign of the white supremacist. Now it's the "fashy" cut. I really hope those assholes don't start ruining porn for the rest of us. I mean this somewhat seriously: porn sites tend to be some of the least political and judgemental places on the internet. We got a good thing going here, people! Don't let it get screwed up!

(A) YouTube had already started de-monetizing some gun-oriented channels last year. This had them turn to advertising/sales and which now is being also frowned upon. There is some concern that mere collectors’/instructional content will go with the bathwater.

(B) Sorry to tell you but from what I gather Alt-Righters ARE increasingly showing up in porn sites. Because why wouldn’t they.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Just a couple of stories about good guys with guns that suddenly weren't.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3859814

Quote:
A Texas man who slaughtered eight people — including his estranged wife — with an AR-15 rifle during a cookout last year was extremely drunk when he committed the murders,
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.3846659

Quote:
Police say the victims were helping Fadal's mother move furniture on Sunday morning when Fadal fatally shot both of them with a rifle "for no apparent reason" just outside his gated compound in Seguin, KSAT reports.

The Straits' three young sons, who are between 7 and 10 years old, witnessed the shootings from the back seat of the family's car, the outlet reports
Old 03-23-2018, 11:16 AM

But they were other-wise law abiding citizens.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Just a couple of stories about good guys with guns that suddenly weren't.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3859814

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.3846659
If there were some gooder guys with guns present, they probably could've stopped or at least limited the damage done by the formerly good guys with guns.

Also, if the age for owning guns were lowered properly, those kids in the back of the car might've been elevated to good kids with guns and helped out.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:08 PM

Some religious dudes in Oregon have filed an initiative petition for a law to oppose (restrict or ban) assault weapons and +10 magazines. Merits of the question notwithstanding, a state legislator posted to a FB group the phone numbers and home addresses of the petition sponsors, urging group members to contact them.

Now, this information is not particularly difficult to find. The state has an issue database that is publicly accessible, which is where he got it. But most people are not going to go to that much effort.

In other words, the legislator is saying “these people want to take your toys away – here is where they live.” This sounds a bit like "stochastic terrorism": suggesting or hinting at mischief and hoping the bad shit goes down.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Virginia CCW holder threatens to shoot US Congressman and staff
Quote:
“Scott is having an event this Saturday. I am going to get my shotgun and do something about this. I will just handle this myself," Godwin allegedly said to a Taylor staffer. He then pointed to two staffers in the room and said, “You two are next," authorities said.

Godwin is expected to appear in a federal courthouse in Norfolk, Va. on Friday afternoon. The maximum penalty for threatening a member of Congress is 10 years in prison.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:07 PM

I wanted to post this in the Gun Good News thread, but I couldn't find it.

Raymond Tensing, who shot and killed an unarmed motorist for a minor traffic violation; lied about it; was charged with murder; and enjoyed two hung juries; has been awarded $350,000money he'd never have gotten if he hadn't shot and killed that nigger. If this isn't Good News for Gunmen, what would be?
Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Positive Gun News of the Day, have at it.