Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, you could just turn it off.
yaeh, I teried taht onec. It ddint' wrok uot wel.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
yaeh, I teried taht onec. It ddint' wrok uot wel.
Yes, it did. "I" and "It" are both spelled all proper-like.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, you could just turn it off.
I'm sorry eschereal, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM

How NOT to troll the Straight Dope

Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Stop being a crusty old marine, Bo.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 PM

Hey HEY hey... who are you calling a marine?

Wait; that is what HD thinks is the scandalous thing, right? The "marine" label?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 PM

I'm pretty sure it's the "uppity woman of the wrong party" part.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:12 PM

I doubt his little brain gets that far in justifying himself.

Anyway, turns out he's a liar.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=308
Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Lest you think H-D is worth engaging, I urge you to reconsider -

In response to this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
An excerpt from a recent Facebook post from the father of a student at MSD High School...
Quote:
If reading another long well written blog post is not your thing, here is a short quiz you can use to determine if you are a gun fetishist and a sociopath:

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, do you rush to the Internet to defend the rights of the weapon?

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, is your first thought that you hope there will be evidence of mental illness? (credit given if its your second thought with your first thought being please let is be a Muslim)

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, do you run out to buy more military weapons?

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, are you pre-armed with poorly sourced, easily debunked alternative facts in defense of your arsenal?

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, do you spend time correcting the terminology people use in describing the weapon?

When someone kills a large number of children using a military weapon, do you like to bring up how the long dead founding fathers support your views? (Do you object to a standing army as strenuously as they would? Can you name any of them?)

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, I would highly recommend you do some serious soul searching. But who are we kidding, you are not capable of that. You would have to have one to be able to search it.
https://www.facebook.com/eric.ronkin...73776982643808 (public link, no account or login required)
H-D responded with this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
My responses:

No, but I do defend my right to keep and bear arms pretty much always.

No, but I do see it come up in the discussions afterwards often enough to notice some correlation.

No, but I do make purchases fairly steadily and regularly. If anything, I delay after a shooting spree (and the ensuing gun control debate) because I know that demand, and thus prices, often spike.

No, but I do certainly notice that the RKBA advocates are generally more knowledgeable and factual on the subject than the gun control advocates.

Sometimes, if their mistakes are serious enough to affect the discussion in some significant way, and very occasionally just to poke a little fun at the other side's ignorance, if I'm in a particularly foul mood. Oftentimes I try to educate.

Not particularly, as I think there are generally better arguments to be made, but it's probably come up a few times. And yes, I can name quite a few of them.

You acknowledged that the first paragraph was hyperbole, but the last paragraph was just shitty too. Fuck that guy, having his kid being in a school shooting couldn't have happened to a more deserving asshole.
*bolding mine*
Old 02-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

HurracaineDitka is also falling for the Lysenko-ism of the Republicans and the NRA.

There is no other way to describe it, he does believe that is one finds statements from the scientists that show bias or flaws in a report that then it is justified to stop all research on guns. One should wonder who elected the NRA to dictate what should be researched or not.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...nap-story.html

No, numbnuts, what was needed was to remove the researchers that showed bias band then continue funding research. Otherwise it is Lysenkoism, plain and simple.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post

*bolding mine*

'Reprehensible' doesn't even begin to cover that.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:

*bolding mine*
Just in case anyone thought he might actually have a soul.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM

He also sympathizes with the OK City bomber, IIRC. He's not worth engaging IMO; wish I had recognized this earlier than I did.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Remember kids, HurracaineDitka would be seen as the voice of reasonable and responsible gun owners!

CMC fnord!

Last edited by crowmanyclouds; 02-24-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Incredible. Fucking guy has the nerve to claim he's engaging in "civilized" dialogue.

I'd ask him what he believes his god will do with his "soul" when H-D is done with it. But they both can get bent if I give a damn.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM

HD said anyone who has a problem with him should take it to the Pit. Then when Revenant Threshold pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant Threshold
I quickly checked, and it doesn't look like you've ever posted in the Pit thread about you. It doesn't seem like a good place to discuss things with you.
Ditka replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka
You are correct. I try to not post in the Pit at all. If you want to "discuss things" with me, we can do it here, and be part of the civilized world
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...0&postcount=60

What a hypocritical douchebag.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Whoops, I owe you an apology, HD. You're absolutely correct, and through inattention I misrepresented you. I'm sorry about that.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Whoops, I owe you an apology, HD. You're absolutely correct, and through inattention I misrepresented you. I'm sorry about that.
?
I've been wooshed, no?

Last edited by bobot; 02-24-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:35 PM

Nah, sorry. Should have quoted the GD post I was replying to.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post
Nah, sorry. Should have quoted the GD post I was replying to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuricaneDikta
But the father, yeah, fuck that guy with a rusty spoon. We crossed the line where I felt it was appropriate somewhere between him saying I'm a sociopath and him saying I don't have a soul.
And, as HD calls out this father who had a child in a school shooting, saying that the father deserved to have his daughter in the school shooting for having the audacity to have an emotional reaction afterward, he proves the father right.

Last edited by k9bfriender; 02-24-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: properly attributing quotes
Old 02-24-2018, 06:30 PM

How the hell did he NOT get a warning for that?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
And, as HD calls out this father who had a child in a school shooting, saying that the father deserved to have his daughter in the school shooting for having the audacity to have an emotional reaction afterward, he proves the father right.
And HD takes the commentary personally even tho it isn't and then DOES personally target the father, using the child as a pawn.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-24-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
How the hell did he NOT get a warning for that?
Did anyone report it? I dropped after that thread pretty fast, given that troll boy started it. Looks like some people stayed in it.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:37 AM

I didn't report it; I thought generally statements that so-and-so deserved to be harmed or killed were a-ok in the rules so long as the target wasn't a board member.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM

The oh so polite and reasoned Hurricane Shitka has decided to tie his argument for arming teachers to the fact that Utah allows teachers to carry weapons in school and they have never had a school shooting fatality.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=849352&page=9

So his solution is that all the other states should follow Utah’s model. But I fact checked the asshole. He’s right about Utah. But he neglected to mention that almost half other states have never had a school shooting fatality, excepting suicides. And one of the suicides happened in Utah.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=440

And when you go through the list of fatalities and eliminate single fatality “grudge” shootings, shootings between adult faculty, after hours parking lot incidents and things like the time a 6 year old accidently shot and killed a classmate - the list goes up to MOST of the states. Most states have never had a multiple fatality shooting incident inside the building during school hours.

But this butthole wanks on and on and on about how Utah is doing it right and we all must imitate Utah. If Utah really did have an exemplary record, it might be because most of the states population in is thrall to a cult religion that encourages incest and inbreeding and therefore their entire population is too inbred and retarded to shoot straight. Its easier to back up than his theory.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
The oh so polite and reasoned Hurricane Shitka has decided to tie his argument for arming teachers to the fact that Utah allows teachers to carry weapons in school and they have never had a school shooting fatality.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...=849352&page=9

So his solution is that all the other states should follow Utah’s model. But I fact checked the asshole. He’s right about Utah. But he neglected to mention that almost half other states have never had a school shooting fatality, excepting suicides. And one of the suicides happened in Utah.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...&postcount=440

And when you go through the list of fatalities and eliminate single fatality “grudge” shootings, shootings between adult faculty, after hours parking lot incidents and things like the time a 6 year old accidently shot and killed a classmate - the list goes up to MOST of the states. Most states have never had a multiple fatality shooting incident inside the building during school hours.

But this butthole wanks on and on and on about how Utah is doing it right and we all must imitate Utah. If Utah really did have an exemplary record, it might be because most of the states population in is thrall to a cult religion that encourages incest and inbreeding and therefore their entire population is too inbred and retarded to shoot straight. Its easier to back up than his theory.
That was a great refutation. But I doubt you'll see anything more than a trite acknowledgement, since it's clear to me he doesn't really honestly debate, he just looks for opportunities to nitpick.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:43 AM

Utah is full of right-wing people who think like Hurricane. "Despicable right-wingers Good; Libtards Bad." For Hurricane the "thinking" gets no deeper than that.

I tried to engage him respectfully, thinking he might be sincere and sentient. But he is not. If he is sincere, then he is very very stupid. If he's of average intelligence or better, then he's some sort of troll, thinking that the kleptocrats will give him some bread crumbs as reward if he pushes their filthy politics.

I don't know why Dopers bother with him. Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter are paid to offer up despicable opinions and offer much better recreational-outrage per minute-wasted ratios than HurricaneDitka could ever aspire to.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Did anyone report it? I dropped after that thread pretty fast, given that troll boy started it. Looks like some people stayed in it.
I did. Not to mention the thread was closed, so Jonathan Chance most likely noticed it.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-25-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 PM

He supports Nazis for money. He supports torture for money. Ditka's an evil sonofabitch, make no mistake.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:54 PM

Presumptuous fucker. Thinks he speaks for 'us'.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Resurrecting this thread on account of this OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
The February jobs report was very good, showing the economy added 313,000 jobs. This is the sort of news that I'm sure is met with delight in the White House (and I suspect with dismay by more than a few Dopers).
Just because conservatism has turned into 'screw the liberals and Dems, even if it screws America too' doesn't mean we're your fucking mirror image, HD.

We're quite the reverse of you. We know that Obamacare basically screwed us politically in 2010, 2014, and 2016. And you know what? It was worth it, because it made America better, it meant that tens of millions of people could get insured, and tens of millions more didn't have to worry about their health insurance being rendered meaningless by a 'pre-existing condition.'

So take that fucking attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine. For us on the left, it's not about whether we win or lose, it's about whether the people of this nation and the world win or lose.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:17 PM

With just about every post, it's more and more clear to me that HurricaneDitka values pissing off liberals much more than normal human decency, like not carrying water for someone who bragged about violating the consent of teenage girls. I got a mod note for snark suggesting the same in his latest Elections thread, so I'll confine my criticism to this one.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM

It was clear from the start with that guy. That's why he posts provocative, wrong shit only in forums where he can't be called a douchebag. (And if you come too close, you'll be noted or warned, as you have seen.)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It was clear from the start with that guy. That's why he posts provocative, wrong shit only in forums where he can't be called a douchebag. (And if you come too close, you'll be noted or warned, as you have seen.)
And where have we seen that behavior before?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM

It took me WAY too long to realize there was a link in your post!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
He does seem to have a mod particularly protective of him.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Engaging with someone who presents, at best, a facsimile or someone arguing in good faith is not my idea of a fun time, but I also don't understand why people indulge the "woe is me" and "o hai guys what should I do" trolls, or voluntarily go swimming in icy water, or eat Tide pods, or pursue any number of other unpleasant and/or pointless activities.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
One mod over there is too aggressive for his own good. One mod out of a mod team still doesn't spoil the brew though.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, it does appear HD gets the same affirmative action that Shodan gets. Not clear why anyone would think that raises the tone here.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Will no one stand up for those poor Russian saboteurs?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Relax everybody and don't believe anything you read until you smell the vodka on their breath.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:40 AM

I've been reading the "FBI announces ongoing Russian attacks against American electric grid, water processing, air" thread, where Hurricane is making a fool of himself.

He obviously knows nothing about power plants, nothing about the electric grid and nothing about computer security, yet has a fervent opinion that, I suppose, the deep-state Clintonists in the FBI are exaggerating the threat from Russia. (Is this because, with traditional allies turning to socialism and rejecting Trump, it is Russia which has become America's new kindred spirit?) Switch things so that Obama had been dragging his feet one can be sure Hurricane would take the opposite of his present stance in the debate.

I think Hurricane is neither a troll nor is he clinically stupid. If we met him in real life and discussed something non-political he might seem good-spirited and intelligent. But some of his "brain wiring" — a sequence of trained Pavlovian reflexes — leads him to defend Trump and right-wingism reflexively. His subconscious directs his conscious opinions and he doesn't even know it.

I met a guy like this, a retired Navy CPO (who, by coincidence, actually did specialize in nuclear power plants). Soft-spoken, good-spirited, and intelligent. Once that CPO made a typical right-wing complaint about some "abuse" he had suffered from a government bureaucrat. I've suffered government abuse myself, but his example was faulty; I pointed out that his complaint focused on a policy that was clearly necessary; that bureaucrat was doing his job correctly and the valid complaint would be if he had acted differently! The CPO grinned and nodded his head. But I'm sure the Pavlovian synapses remained intact.

TL;DR: Hurricane is NOT a Russian troll. He deserves our pity, not our contempt.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:12 AM

He may well deserve pity, but rare is the occasion when life is fair so contempt it is.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I've been reading the "FBI announces ongoing Russian attacks against American electric grid, water processing, air" thread, where Hurricane is making a fool of himself.

He obviously knows nothing about power plants, nothing about the electric grid and nothing about computer security, yet has a fervent opinion that, I suppose, the deep-state Clintonists in the FBI are exaggerating the threat from Russia. (Is this because, with traditional allies turning to socialism and rejecting Trump, it is Russia which has become America's new kindred spirit?) Switch things so that Obama had been dragging his feet one can be sure Hurricane would take the opposite of his present stance in the debate.

I think Hurricane is neither a troll nor is he clinically stupid. If we met him in real life and discussed something non-political he might seem good-spirited and intelligent. But some of his "brain wiring" — a sequence of trained Pavlovian reflexes — leads him to defend Trump and right-wingism reflexively. His subconscious directs his conscious opinions and he doesn't even know it.

TL;DR: Hurricane is NOT a Russian troll. He deserves our pity, not our contempt.
Pretty spot on there, except for the intentional/subconscious part. He takes delight in INTENTIONALLY disrupting a discussion with his disregard for any cited source not acceptable to him. I think Fox is the only one on his approved list, and of course, it's on no one else's. He has an almost Clothahump ability to accept anything the POTardUS does as awesome and faultless. Head in the sand stuff.

Last edited by Morgenstern; 03-17-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Pretty spot on there, except for the intentional/subconscious part. He takes delight in INTENTIONALLY disrupting a discussion with his disregard for any cited source not acceptable to him. I think Fox is the only one on his approved list, and of course, it's on no one else's. He has an almost Clothahump ability to accept anything the POTardUS does as awesome and faultless. Head in the sand stuff.
I believe HD when he says he doesn't approve of some of Trump's behavior and actions. He's said this on several occasions. But he'll tolerate and rationalize everything to date as long as he 'gets the things he wants'. To my understanding, those include: lower taxes at any cost, lower restrictions on national park lands (bizarrely obsessive priority, IMO), guns and more guns. There are probably more 'things that he wants' but he's rarely very specific about what they are. Maybe because at the top of his desirable outcomes list - and he's said this flat out - is that he enjoys the fact that Trump upsets liberals/progressives.

That's the reason I find myself questioning HD's integrity in so many discussions. Some of his positions come from a legitimate traditional conservative outlook. But a disproportionate amount is based on pissing off progressives purely for the reflexively vindictive pleasure of it all. In short, HD's a smarter C'hump with improved rhetorical skills.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 03-17-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I believe HD when he says he doesn't approve of some of Trump's behavior and actions. He's said this on several occasions. But he'll tolerate and rationalize everything to date as long as he 'gets the things he wants'. To my understanding, those include: lower taxes at any cost, lower restrictions on national park lands (bizarrely obsessive priority, IMO), guns and more guns. There are probably more 'things that he wants' but he's rarely very specific about what they are. Maybe because at the top of his desirable outcomes list - and he's said this flat out - is that he enjoys the fact that Trump upsets liberals/progressives.

That's the reason I find myself questioning HD's integrity in so many discussions. Some of his positions come from a legitimate traditional conservative outlook. But a disproportionate amount is based on pissing off progressives purely for the reflexively vindictive pleasure of it all. In short, HD's a smarter C'hump with improved rhetorical skills.
Based on his posts, I think he very mildly disapproves of mistreatment of women, racism, bigotry, etc. I think he disapproves much more strongly of anything that has a chance to make liberals happy, and values making liberals angry far, far more than opposing bigotry, racism, and mistreatment of women.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

It's not an unfamiliar refrain, at this point.

"It doesn't matter who Trump is, or what sins and crimes he committed, as long as he appoints Supreme Court Justices who love guns, fetuses, executions and Jesus—and who hate gays, transwhatevers, atheists and Moozlems— as much as I do."
Old 03-17-2018, 04:14 PM

As far as I can tell, he just wants to argue the other side. You can cover his argument up one side and down the other with facts, figures, and rebut it until the cows come home and it will not matter. I have no idea what he will accept as "correct" or "truthful". Has he admitted to Fox anywhere?

He gets very stuck on pedantics. Something must appear in a certain word, or phrase, or it's not true. I almost hate to argue around him, because he engages, but he stops discussion cold. We end up spending pages or whether "healthcare" is insurance or a sysadmin can shut down a nuclear plant.

I'm not convinced he even cares about Trump. He just wants to argue. Maybe we should charge by the quarter hour.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
lower restrictions on national park lands (bizarrely obsessive priority, IMO)
That's a bugbear for a lot of western conservatives. There's a lot of hate for the various federal agencies that own much of the land out there. The whole Bundy situation was rooted in it.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 03-18-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
As far as I can tell, he just wants to argue the other side. You can cover his argument up one side and down the other with facts, figures, and rebut it until the cows come home and it will not matter. I have no idea what he will accept as "correct" or "truthful". Has he admitted to Fox anywhere?

He gets very stuck on pedantics. Something must appear in a certain word, or phrase, or it's not true. I almost hate to argue around him, because he engages, but he stops discussion cold. We end up spending pages or whether "healthcare" is insurance or a sysadmin can shut down a nuclear plant.

I'm not convinced he even cares about Trump. He just wants to argue. Maybe we should charge by the quarter hour.
I think this is the particularly insidious part of his rhetoric. The explicit mistrust of generally fact based media and the attempt to dismantle trust in an entire outlet because an opinion piece got the caliber of a weapon used in a crime wrong. As if caliber was instrumental in any way to the report. It's got that wafting stench of fascism about it, masquerading as golly-gee-wiz pedantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
That's a bugbear for a lot of western conservatives. There's a lot of hate for the various federal agencies that own much of the land out there. The whole Bundy situation was rooted in it.
So the typical lunatic right wing fringe that likes to pretend they are the wild west cowboy pioneers. Fruitcakes, the lot.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 03-18-2018 at 10:42 AM.