Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Nope! I said stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
March begins with me failing to completely tighten a jar of pickles in my lunch bag. Which I somehow managed to knock over in my car! On my passenger seat. This shit will never come out.

I now drive a pickle car.

My husband said to leave an open package of pastrami and rye bread. The car will smell amazing!
Old 03-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Mere Member

Jayrey, I'm so sorry about your kitty! Have you joined the Facebook lymphoma group? There are a lot of knowledgeable people. Someone might have some other options for you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/feli...ma/?ref=search
Old 03-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Jesus, it is raining (again). Our streams and ponds are over their banks. No worries with house cause we are high on a hill, but there is one road we worry about. I got lil'wrekker on the road back to school early. She didn't like to do it, but I insisted.
I was hoping to set out some onions this week and plant some greens. It appears it will be too wet. Alas, Arkansas is having a wet spring. How depressing. I dont feel well so that makes it worse. I am going to the doctor first thing in the morning.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:29 PM

It snowed another foot on Friday, biggest snow year in Calgary since 1962, and I seem to get 0 days of skiing in a year now rather than the 30-50 that I used to get so I am not excited. Topped off a 14.5 hr day and 60+ hour week on Friday with a nasty phone call from a client that will never be satisfied with anything, as I climbed out of the truck to start the shoveling.

Also a big fuck off to google for skipping the audio jack on the new phone I had to get yesterday.

My cat or dog are not dying, I am not putting any family members in rehab, and no one has died, so I will just bow out to the true rants up thread.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM

I am not sure, but a long work week, another foot of snow and no fun time sounds like a legit rant to me.
Hope next week is better for you!
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Jesus, it is raining (again). Our streams and ponds are over their banks.
Tell me about it. Went to check my trail cam for deer and hogs yesterday.

Trail Cam
Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 PM

I no longer have a dying pet, but even if I did a long workweek with all that snow would still be rant worthy.

Lucky's passing was calm and peaceful. Except for the part where my BB told the vet that he couldn't pay someone to kill his cat and burst into tears. As this was after the part where he had already signed the paperwork and given her a check, and AFTER the part where Lucky had gotten his injection and was in the process of dying, the vet looked at me, I nodded and she left. (didn't leave the property in case I needed her, just got out of the way.)

Holding an unconscious cat is different than holding a dead one.

His veins weren't collapsed, so he only had to get 1 stick.

Simple was weird all of yesterday, but today his eyes almost popped out while he was trying to remind us that Lucky needed his old sick cat treats so Simple could have the leftovers.

Buttercup is now at the vet because she ate Lucky's bed and we don't want to lose her from blockage. Surgery is probably going to happen in the morning if she doesn't take a HUGE dump in the night.

Westley is glued to my butt. I just went in to pee and had to shove her away from the toilet paper.

In other news, Missy is OK with hunter green towels, but hates garden green towels. She is OK with rose colored towels, but blue ones are not acceptable. Its fun to me to wake up and do the towel search, others are not as entertained. (this morning, there were 2 red kitchen towels on the bed, 1 bath sheet in the living room, and 2 face clothes on the kitchen floor. Rose colored, but the kitchen would not look nearly as nice with rose, so she's not going to win this one. Maybe.)
[/U]

[/SIZE]

Last edited by flatlined; 03-04-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post

Trail Cam
Nice!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Is this where we rant at ourselves for being a dumbass?

Took Mo for our weekend Sonic breakfast - sausage burrito, tots, cherry lime-aid for me, two strips of bacon for her. Got home, out of the car, and instead of using my elbow to press the door lock like I usually do, I thought I'd use foam drink cup. Yeah, cherry lime aid all down the car door.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 AM

Holy crap I have done that very thing. If any went in the door, like down the slot the window goes up and down in, your window will now stick. I had a door with electric windows ( which I guess everyone does) and it took a major operation to clean it all out.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

I am out of snacks.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 AM

C'mon, I know everything got a bit messed up due to weather last week, but that excuse melted on Saturday. Am I working today or not? It's in 7 hours, and I have class this afternoon, which finishes 20 minutes before work would be starting, 15 minutes drive away. I can make it, but only if I know I need to. I can't make it if I have to mess about. This is a student rep job, you know I have other stuff to do, that's sort of the point.

Yes, I know the college was closed due to snow last week, but maybe checking today's events should be some kind of priority? I said I could work the shift over a week ago, no reply from the organiser. Asked for confirmation on Thursday, no reply. The coordinator seems to think you're desperate for people for the shift, but she doesn't have any of the details, and she can't authorise shifts for your events.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
My husband said to leave an open package of pastrami and rye bread. The car will smell amazing!
I would instead eat the pastrami and rye, then continue to bitch about the smell!
And yes it still smells.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I no longer have a dying pet, but even if I did a long workweek with all that snow would still be rant worthy.

Lucky's passing was calm and peaceful. Except for the part where my BB told the vet that he couldn't pay someone to kill his cat and burst into tears. As this was after the part where he had already signed the paperwork and given her a check, and AFTER the part where Lucky had gotten his injection and was in the process of dying, the vet looked at me, I nodded and she left. (didn't leave the property in case I needed her, just got out of the way.)

Holding an unconscious cat is different than holding a dead one.

His veins weren't collapsed, so he only had to get 1 stick.

Simple was weird all of yesterday, but today his eyes almost popped out while he was trying to remind us that Lucky needed his old sick cat treats so Simple could have the leftovers.

Buttercup is now at the vet because she ate Lucky's bed and we don't want to lose her from blockage. Surgery is probably going to happen in the morning if she doesn't take a HUGE dump in the night.

Westley is glued to my butt. I just went in to pee and had to shove her away from the toilet paper.

In other news, Missy is OK with hunter green towels, but hates garden green towels. She is OK with rose colored towels, but blue ones are not acceptable. Its fun to me to wake up and do the towel search, others are not as entertained. (this morning, there were 2 red kitchen towels on the bed, 1 bath sheet in the living room, and 2 face clothes on the kitchen floor. Rose colored, but the kitchen would not look nearly as nice with rose, so she's not going to win this one. Maybe.)
[/U]

[/SIZE]
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:07 PM

overlyboy has received lunchtime detention for playing video games in class on his school-issued chromebook. That's not even my rant. This is his first detention, but I do know the chromebook has been a distraction before, so this was not a shock. I'm not happy, but that's not my problem.

See, the problem is he will learn absolutely NOTHING from this. I talked to the teacher who advised me that I can't remove the games from the chromebook. Doing so will require that I remove the apps he needs to do his schoolwork. I can't confiscate his chromebook for that same reason.

But the real kicker is that when my son was telling me tales of his friends' experiences in detention, I learned that the expectation is that kids will bring their lunch, sit quietly and, oh - bring their chromebooks. To do "homework." Which usually devolves into the kids playing video games. Honestly, what the fuck. I try not to be THAT parent, but I sure don't want my kid actually having an incentive for getting detention. If you're going to punish him, do it - don't give him a nice cozy, quiet place to play video games.

Anyway, I don't plan to totally freak out today, but since he used his screen time at school, he sure the hell doesn't get more here. And it just kills me that detention is so fucking comically ineffective. I don't want them to bring back corporal punishment, but for fuck's sake, either make it mean something, or just have someone talk to him. Don't tell him he's being punished only to let him do what got him there in the first place.

Last edited by overlyverbose; 03-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post

Trail Cam
Old 03-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
overlyboy has received lunchtime detention for playing video games in class on his school-issued chromebook. That's not even my rant. This is his first detention, but I do know the chromebook has been a distraction before, so this was not a shock. I'm not happy, but that's not my problem.

See, the problem is he will learn absolutely NOTHING from this. I talked to the teacher who advised me that I can't remove the games from the chromebook. Doing so will require that I remove the apps he needs to do his schoolwork. I can't confiscate his chromebook for that same reason.

But the real kicker is that when my son was telling me tales of his friends' experiences in detention, I learned that the expectation is that kids will bring their lunch, sit quietly and, oh - bring their chromebooks. To do "homework." Which usually devolves into the kids playing video games. Honestly, what the fuck. I try not to be THAT parent, but I sure don't want my kid actually having an incentive for getting detention. If you're going to punish him, do it - don't give him a nice cozy, quiet place to play video games.

Anyway, I don't plan to totally freak out today, but since he used his screen time at school, he sure the hell doesn't get more here. And it just kills me that detention is so fucking comically ineffective. I don't want them to bring back corporal punishment, but for fuck's sake, either make it mean something, or just have someone talk to him. Don't tell him he's being punished only to let him do what got him there in the first place.
That is seriously, just wrong. You need to go see the principal. They should have a pencil and a book and paper. Chromebooks are fun. Do they really believe these kids will not play on them. I am not anti computer or anything, but there is a time and place for everything.
Our school was real relaxed about kids bringing their iPad and phones. Until it turned into a thing, and the whole school walking like zombies thru the halls looking at their phones.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Shouldn't the thread title be The Snides of March (minirants)?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
That is seriously, just wrong. You need to go see the principal. They should have a pencil and a book and paper. Chromebooks are fun. Do they really believe these kids will not play on them. I am not anti computer or anything, but there is a time and place for everything.
Our school was real relaxed about kids bringing their iPad and phones. Until it turned into a thing, and the whole school walking like zombies thru the halls looking at their phones.
Yeah, I'm not sure whether I'm more annoyed at my son for not paying attention and contributing or the school for insisting they use devices that are a known distraction. I've asked his teacher to confiscate the thing until it is required for classwork if it causes future problems, but she thinks it's "too harsh" and has indicated that that is an accommodation that they would make for a child under an education plan for a learning disability. She won't take the damn thing away without an education plan approved by the special school district that explicitly says my kid has a learning disability and needs to use something else, even though I've offered to provide a note to file indicating that they can take it away when and if they need to.

The whole learning disability thing is really concerning to me:
1. They treat common discipline issues the same as a learning disability, which in my head attributes unnecessary gravity to the issue takes making a mountain out of a molehill to a whole new level and makes discipline too difficult for the school to effectuate.

2. If they do treat my son as though he has a learning disability because I just want him to be forced to pay attention, that waters down the resources for those who have actual learning disabilities and need more guidance.

3. My kid has actually been tested for learning disabilities at one point for similar reasons and I do not want him misrepresented in the system.

One final rant I have, also about the school...despite being the best school district in the state, they still use an abstinence only sex ed course taught by a fucking faith based organization. In a public school system!

I had to have a talk with my son about condoms because he interpreted his sex ed class to mean that if you had sex with anyone you'd probably get an STD, so he decided he was too scared to get married later. This has been a big issue for lots of parents in the school district and I wish the district would fucking get it together. Teach the kids facts, not bullshit. Yes, I fully expect to have conversations with my kids about sex no matter what they're taught, but they hadn't even covered things like masturbation and wet dreams. I'm pretty sure my son is scarred for life having to talk to his mom about it (my husband is too prudish to bring it up since he never had the talk with either of his parents), but at least he's got more information. What the fuck is wrong with people?
Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM

Mg bank ran my rent check through twice on the same day, throwing my balance negative. I got paid Friday, after it happened, and I'm still $20 in the hole until they finally correct the error.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 PM

It takes a special kind of person to crash a vehicle with a top speed of 1.5 mph. That would be me. Vehicle in question was a Tennant floor-cleaning machine, borrowed from the rich guy with the 2 bizjets and 4 helicopters next door to the aviation museum where I volunteer. They kindly lent it to us to clean up our hangar, and we (I) promptly managed to punch a hole in the front of the thing during a misjudged turn. Shitfuckdamn.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 03-05-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
and that's exactly what happened. stepped out for a few then came back home to find another fucking door tag.
Yep, that's what FedEx does- deliver door tags, not packages. I swear they hide in the bushes until I step out for a minute.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure whether I'm more annoyed at my son for not paying attention and contributing or the school for insisting they use devices that are a known distraction. I've asked his teacher to confiscate the thing until it is required for classwork if it causes future problems, but she thinks it's "too harsh" and has indicated that that is an accommodation that they would make for a child under an education plan for a learning disability. She won't take the damn thing away without an education plan approved by the special school district that explicitly says my kid has a learning disability and needs to use something else, even though I've offered to provide a note to file indicating that they can take it away when and if they need to.

The whole learning disability thing is really concerning to me:
1. They treat common discipline issues the same as a learning disability, which in my head attributes unnecessary gravity to the issue takes making a mountain out of a molehill to a whole new level and makes discipline too difficult for the school to effectuate.

2. If they do treat my son as though he has a learning disability because I just want him to be forced to pay attention, that waters down the resources for those who have actual learning disabilities and need more guidance.

3. My kid has actually been tested for learning disabilities at one point for similar reasons and I do not want him misrepresented in the system.

One final rant I have, also about the school...despite being the best school district in the state, they still use an abstinence only sex ed course taught by a fucking faith based organization. In a public school system!

I had to have a talk with my son about condoms because he interpreted his sex ed class to mean that if you had sex with anyone you'd probably get an STD, so he decided he was too scared to get married later. This has been a big issue for lots of parents in the school district and I wish the district would fucking get it together. Teach the kids facts, not bullshit. Yes, I fully expect to have conversations with my kids about sex no matter what they're taught, but they hadn't even covered things like masturbation and wet dreams. I'm pretty sure my son is scarred for life having to talk to his mom about it (my husband is too prudish to bring it up since he never had the talk with either of his parents), but at least he's got more information. What the fuck is wrong with people?
OMFG the sex ed business is really bad. Go to the school board with that. Or call the local paper.

And getting a disability designation can follow your kid forever. My 19yo. had her ears operated on in first grade. She was never deaf or hearing disabled. A teacher or aide or someone ( couldn't find the culprit at the time) put on a report, and I quote" child cannot respond because she cannot hear me". My child had 2 layers of bandages and stocking cap on to keep everything in place. This is why she couldn't hear. Nobody called to say this was a problem, Ever.
First day of second grade, I walked her in with all her supplies, Teacher says "Oh no Ms.Wrek, your child will start her day at the hearing lab, Every. Day. I say she's not hearing impaired. Go to office, talk to many people. Stomp and holler.Took a week to straighten out. Every year of grade school, same thing, Every.Year.
Highschool was fine.
Went to enroll in college, just guess what was in her transcript?
Don't let that sit.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Shouldn't the thread title be The Snides of March (minirants)?
Next year you can get up and start the thread. This year you can suck it.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yep, that's what FedEx does- deliver door tags, not packages. I swear they hide in the bushes until I step out for a minute.
it isn't the door tag that irritates me (y'know, other than the delivery window being 9 am-8pm and showing up in the ~20 minutes I had to be gone) but the fact that I had no option to have it held at the depot so I could pick it up. I'm used to missed deliveries since there's no one else at home to receive them, but usually it's available for pickup at the depot a couple of miles away. Not with FedEx Ground.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, fun with the dog. Ours had a lump just above his ass (below his tail). Vet looks at it and says "Those tend to be cancer". So he's had surgery ($1200) and now we're waiting to get the results back to find out if it really was cancer. If so they may recommend radiation treatments.
Update.
The pathology report said it was most likely adenoma then added a bunch of weasel words and said they couldn't rule out a carcinoma. So it's probably good news. Unless it isn't.

So my wife took doggy to a cancer specialist who recommended another surgery to further remove any cancer missed by the first surgery. So what would we gain by spending $2500? We might be able to further refine the pathology. We might manage to remove everything and not have to worry about it. Or we might be in the same boat we are in now.

One thing I am sure of is that if it is a carcinoma they will never be sure that they removed everything because of the way it grows into surrounding tissue. I am not inclined to put my doggy through a second ass surgery on a bunch of "maybe's". He's 9 or 10 years old (rescue so we're not positive), I'd rather he have quality of life than more surgery followed by possible radiation/chemo.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Can I join in?

I had me a two for one foot operation three weeks ago. I had some extra mutant bone removed (thanks genetics) and a plantar faciatisisisisis release. The first two weeks of recover I couldn't put any weight on and and had to use crutches (which were a complete fail) but ultimately ended up on a scooter most of the time. I was lucky to work from home most of the time but I made Mr. Jynxster take me out for dinner once in a while. I went back to work last week. I dragged that god-forsaken scooter with me to work for a week because it was too painful for me to hobble long distance. I saw my podiatrist three days prior to surgery and then every week after.

When I went back last week, I mentioned that I was still having difficulty getting around and hauling myself and my scooter across the crappy parking lot at work (and sometimes across the street because if you arrive after 0600 then parking lot that is actually in front of my building fills up and I have to park WAY further out).

My podiatrist was like "Oops my bad, do you want a temporary handicap parking pass? We can totally get you one of those. You should have said something." I contemplated long and hard about the merits of whacking him upside the head with my cane, but then ultimately decided that I didn't want to lose my security clearance, my job and my dignity. I could have totally used that thing from the get go!

However, in an effort to be grateful for the present and not the past, I merely smiled and took my paperwork thinking I will just zip down to the DMV after work on Monday and limp out with my shiny parking pass. Lord and Lady was I stupid! The podiatrist also scheduled me some PT and they called super fast and wanted me there on Monday. Fine. I will go today. And I am going today; to drop off my request so they can MAIL me the pass in UP TO 15 DAYS!

*sob*
Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Doctors and Vets. Jesus H.Christ! The human condition just floors me. Why do I even try?
My UTI is actually a full blown kidney infection. 3 bottles of pills. I am trying to read the fine print on these pills to make sure they won't have a reaction to my other meds and insulin. Cause I don't effing trust docs and pharms to know or care. Fine print gives me a migraine. I hate my non-existent life..

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-06-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Update.
The pathology report said it was most likely adenoma then added a bunch of weasel words and said they couldn't rule out a carcinoma. So it's probably good news. Unless it isn't.

So my wife took doggy to a cancer specialist who recommended another surgery to further remove any cancer missed by the first surgery. So what would we gain by spending $2500? We might be able to further refine the pathology. We might manage to remove everything and not have to worry about it. Or we might be in the same boat we are in now.

One thing I am sure of is that if it is a carcinoma they will never be sure that they removed everything because of the way it grows into surrounding tissue. I am not inclined to put my doggy through a second ass surgery on a bunch of "maybe's". He's 9 or 10 years old (rescue so we're not positive), I'd rather he have quality of life than more surgery followed by possible radiation/chemo.
Good decision. My little guy had a mass cell tumor removed from his chest almost three years ago. Report from Pathology said the margins were not clean. I took him to another vet where they did over $900 worth of blood and staging tests. Offered me chemo, radiation or do nothing. I decided to do nothing and the damn thing never came back. Here's hoping for the same outcome for your fellow.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Hurray! My biopsy was only Psoriasis. Was 99% sure before hand, but needed to be 100% sure.

Never had it before, have had this patch on my hip for 2 years and my now former doctor had just repeatedly blown it off and told me to put hydrogen peroxide on it.

So then, to the ass cream!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Okay, you guys got it worse than me, but...

I cannot get my glasses adjusted properly! I've developed a sore spot behind my right ear where the earpiece is pressing. I took it back to the shop so they could put my glasses in their fancy-schmancy little heater doohickey and do a professional reshaping, but the guy just took them in his hands and twisted them around. Well, hell, I can do that at home!

So I have been bending the damn things around but my ear is so tender now I near about yelp when I touch it. I need to take some time off from wearing these glasses, but gee, I can't seem to find a week when I don't need to freakin' SEE.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxster View Post
Can I join in?

I had me a two for one foot operation three weeks ago. I had some extra mutant bone removed (thanks genetics) and a plantar faciatisisisisis release. The first two weeks of recover I couldn't put any weight on and and had to use crutches (which were a complete fail) but ultimately ended up on a scooter most of the time. I was lucky to work from home most of the time but I made Mr. Jynxster take me out for dinner once in a while. I went back to work last week. I dragged that god-forsaken scooter with me to work for a week because it was too painful for me to hobble long distance. I saw my podiatrist three days prior to surgery and then every week after.

When I went back last week, I mentioned that I was still having difficulty getting around and hauling myself and my scooter across the crappy parking lot at work (and sometimes across the street because if you arrive after 0600 then parking lot that is actually in front of my building fills up and I have to park WAY further out).

My podiatrist was like "Oops my bad, do you want a temporary handicap parking pass? We can totally get you one of those. You should have said something." I contemplated long and hard about the merits of whacking him upside the head with my cane, but then ultimately decided that I didn't want to lose my security clearance, my job and my dignity. I could have totally used that thing from the get go!

However, in an effort to be grateful for the present and not the past, I merely smiled and took my paperwork thinking I will just zip down to the DMV after work on Monday and limp out with my shiny parking pass. Lord and Lady was I stupid! The podiatrist also scheduled me some PT and they called super fast and wanted me there on Monday. Fine. I will go today. And I am going today; to drop off my request so they can MAIL me the pass in UP TO 15 DAYS!

*sob*
I was on crutches for almost a month after my foot surgery before the idea of a scooter ever entered my mind. I had no idea they existed until I saw another patient zipping around on one in the waiting area. Luckily our local medical supply store rents them out for something like $15 a week Rented mine and had it for maybe the next month or so.

My doctor never offered a handicap placard, probably because I wasn't working nor driving. If I'd asked, I wonder if I could've gotten one by virtue of being a passenger.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:04 PM

It shouldn't rain inside the refrigerator, should it?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Ok so I rent a car last month for a week, ( from Dollar)in Milwaukee, to drive from the airport to Madison. I receive a letter saying I went through tolls in Illinois.WTF! I call and they said the car went through a toll on the 15th of February and I was to prove where I was. I told then I could have my mom call them. I spent most my time with her. (83 on Valentineís Day). I have to say I lost my shit. Then apologized wasnít their fault. Found a restaurant receipt for that day in Madison. Hope thatís good enough. Bloody wankers.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 PM

I am so fucking tired of Winter, just get the hell over. I've been making good progress on getting in shape. But with My knees, walking is about the most active activity I can do, and I've been doing a lot of it. On the treadmill. Step, step, step on the stupid treadmill, watching stupid TV, all winter long. I'm struggling to maintain motivation, and I just want to get outside for a change.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
It shouldn't rain inside the refrigerator, should it?
Oh no! That's bad.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 PM

I tend to agree that rain in a fridge is probably not a good thing. Look at it on the bright side, though...at least its not on fire.

Buttercup, the kitty bed eating idiot dog is now recovering from surgery and is wearing the cone of shame. She ate an entire thick, plush, padded 14 inch bed and it got stuck. Getting that fixed cost WELL over the cost of having the idiot dog put down, but even though we are upset with her, we paid it and are happy that she will recover. Can't be too upset, though. The sweet, well-mannered hound just lost her job along with her kitty and was expressing her grief in the only way she knew.

But anyhow, she almost killed herself and scared us to death. I have no sympathy for her now. The cone of shame stays on until the vet approves removing it!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Mere Member

Flatlined, if at some point you develop sympathy for Buttercup , I have one of these for my cat and a friend uses them on her dogs. They're less unpleasant than the cones of shame. She raises the food and water bowls, but it's easier for her dogs to eat, too.

e-collar
Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
My doctor never offered a handicap placard, probably because I wasn't working nor driving. If I'd asked, I wonder if I could've gotten one by virtue of being a passenger.
I don't know what the laws are in your area, but here in Ontario I had no trouble getting one for my mother when I was driving her around, due to her age and heart condition. I just asked her doctor to sign a simple form, and the placard arrived in the mail shortly after. IIRC, it had no reference to me or to my car, but was strictly assigned to her, who had never owned a car or driven in her life. I could legally park in handicapped spaces as long as she was with me.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I was on crutches for almost a month after my foot surgery before the idea of a scooter ever entered my mind. I had no idea they existed until I saw another patient zipping around on one in the waiting area. Luckily our local medical supply store rents them out for something like $15 a week Rented mine and had it for maybe the next month or so.

in ca you can as a passenger but they can only use it if youre in the car....
Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
in ca you can as a passenger but they can only use it if youre in the car....
Very true. I was a helper for a disabled lady at one point, and the parking placard was linked to her personally. Any car she was in, if she had it with her (always did), was eligible for handicapped parking.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:06 AM

Apparently weíre now ok with the promotion of woo so long as itís from long-standing members.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Cite?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:57 AM

Heh, interesting. That would make sense that the placard would have to follow me and whatever vehicle I'd be in.

I'm probably going to be going through a similar operation with my right foot at some point, so I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Apparently weíre now ok with the promotion of woo so long as itís from long-standing members.
?!?!?
Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:

So yeah, renting a scooter. About that. That rant (for me) would have gone into the February rants. Let me tell you the Great Scooter Ordering Debacle of Feb 2018.

I go in for my last pre-surgery consultation two days before I have surgery. We start talking about post operation mobility (or complete lack there of) and my doc (I can now call this a pattern) says oh I can get you a prescription for a scooter. Hold up, you can be prescribed one? How cool is THAT! So he writes me a prescription and says he will fax it over to scooter store A and call them 1st thing in the morning. So I call them on Tuesday at 9 am. No prescription. Call doctors office. They re-fax. Call scooter store A and they finally have my prescription but they have to check with my insurance to see if its covered. I wait, and wait and finally they call me back at 3pm, they don't accept my insurance. BUT we will send it over to scooter store B.

Wednesday AM I call scooter store B do they have my prescription? Nope. I call my doc's office. They fax over my prescription. I call scooter store back. They tell me they finally got it and they accept my insurance and they deliver to your house. Great. Now we are getting some where. Then they say well someone will get back to you in the next 24-48 hours to determine if my insurance pays for it and if they have any in stock or they need to order one. Dude, my surgery is tomorrow. I need this processed today. I get told, "your doctor didn't say that it was for a quick turn around so he needs to send us an updated prescription.

At this point I was less than 24 hours from surgery. So i just let them do what they do. I ordered one from amazon. $150 for a hot pink scooter with a basket. Arrived the day after surgery. Scooter store B finally called me back the Monday after I had my surgery at 7 pm and left some garbled message about an order. They called back 2 weeks later to see if I still needed the medical device. I declined to talk to them because then I might just feel like telling them where they can put their scooter and scooter ordering process.

Now the Great Scooter Ordering Debacle of Feb 2018 has nothing to do with the Great Scooter Using Debacle of Feb 2018. Using that thing with an up-to-the-knee boot on:
1. Maneuvering it around tight corners - physically have to pick up the back end to get it to go with out scratching walls;
2. Going up and down curbs or up a single step - Mr. Jynxster has to either be in front of me to catch me or behind me to make sure I don't fall ass over tea kettle. Ask me about the one time he just blithely walked to the car forgetting about me and I did my level best to take out some of our front shrubbery because I thought he was there.
3. Back up out of small spaces - Option A: try to keep the scooter straight as possible while looking behind you. Option B: Physically picking up the scooter, balance on one leg and move it in the opposite direction.
4. Kneeling on that scooter, even with extra padding hurts!
5. Getting the scooter in and out of the car. We have an SUV, however it still inst tall enough. We have to unscrew the handle bars and slide them down every time to get it in and then reassemble when it comes out.
6. The amount of people who tell me "That looks like so much fun. I would love to try that." Good. You go get the surgery and deal with all the mobility issues and pain and uncomfortableness and then you come back and tell me exactly how much "fun" you had.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:22 AM

I am actually going to have to retract my rant from yesterday about getting the handicap placard and quite possible the DMV. I will however replace it with a rant from when I went to the store to buy shoes.

Retracted Rant:
Upon parking in a non-handicap parking spot but relatively close to the door, I exit my vehicle and start to turtle my way to the front door. I sense motion behind me but I am concentrating on not falling over so dont really see who/what it is. A guy, straight out of central casting for Sons of Anarchy, complete with tats, motorcycle club jacket, long grey hair, 6 ft + and burly, whips open the door for me with a wink saying "I saw you and wanted to make sure I got the door for you. I will get the other one too." I enter the DMV, notice I can go to the express lane and their is no one ahead of me. I walk right up to what must have been one of the following; zombie, robot, recent recipient of a frontal lobotomy, or someone who had traded their sense of humor/all togetherness to the debil for the winning lottery numbers, then lost them. You know; typical DMV worker. However, she processes my transaction in a very timely manner, only costs me $5 and then she hands me a temporary temporary handicap placard that I can use right away! The form that I filled out made it sound like I would have to wait. My permanent temporary placard will come in the mail. Time spent in DMV - no more than 10 minutes. As I begin to move towards the exit I see another movement in front of me. A handsome young man, late teens/early twenties, jumps out of his chair and runs to the door - to make sure he opened it for me. He says "I saw you and wanted to make sure I could do this for you." I thanked him profusely and had thanked the other nice gentleman as well. I think I got in my car and cried. I have been out in the public the last 2 weeks and this was the first time I saw people go to an extra effort to help me. Most of the time I approach a door or go down an aisle and people look surprised and irritated that it takes me more time to get to everything and the fact that with my cane I take up a little more room than the average bear and they actually have to move out of the middle of the damn aisle or door.

New Rant.
Because my stooopid boot is higher on the bottom than all of my normal shoes, I need to go and waste money to buy a shoe (yes they come in pairs, but I will only be using one) that wont kill my hip so I can even out my gait. I got to the shoe store. I try on 50 million shoes. I finally settle on 2 pairs of the less hideous things I can find. Me, my cane and my boot along with two pairs of shoe boxes, slowly make our way to the register. A woman is browsing the socks, tights, etc that are at the beginning of the queue to the register but she is not quite in line. She hears my shuffling zombie foots steps (clink, thump, drag....pant, pant) takes one look at me and then fast walks to the register to make sure that she can check out before I do. Really??????!!!!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Do tell.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:37 PM

My teeth have been shifting slightly over the years (I had braces in high school) and apparently they finally reached some movement threshold recently, because my goddamn mouth HURTS around one noticeably crooked tooth. It's that old pain from my teenage years, familiar as hell, that some of you might know when they tighten the braces.

Still unemployed (workin' on that!) therefore still no health/dental insurance. So, Advil it is, I guess.

Goddamn it I'm already scrawny and have a poor appetite; I don't need one more disincentive to eat. I miss the bouncy boobs I had back when I was consistently happy every day. That was a long time ago.