Old 01-28-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
...Like you undoubtedly feel about your children and grandchildren...
I don't have children or grandchildren. Or nieces/nephews, for that matter (I'm an only child). I used to be sad about this-- now I'm kind of glad.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:12 PM

Me too, not having children was the right call.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Do you have strategies (successful ones) for keeping your sanity in these troubled times?
On dealing with others, stepping away from the crazy, now matter how long Iíve known them. And when I meet new crazy, I make it clear Iím not interested.

On dealing with myself, learning to make an effort to avoid negative thinking. Itís especially important in the morning in those first minutes/hours after waking up.

When some people get upset over something, they canít stop dwelling on the indignation. They might call it ďdoing the slow burn,Ē but Iíd say theyíre just fanning their own flames. Anyone who considers themselves an adult should have more control over their own thoughts.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:48 AM

At this point, where I believe we are past the point of return, I take cold comfort in having been right. When hurricanes and tornados ravage red state America, at least I can say to myself "we tried to tell you." I think at this point, that's all we have.

Quote:
...“I always thought climate change was a bunch of nonsense, but now I really do think it is happening,” said White, a 65-year-old Trump supporter, as she and her young grandson watched workers haul away downed trees and other debris lining the streets of her posh seaside neighborhood last week, just as Hurricane Michael made landfall 700 miles away in the Florida Panhandle.

...An Elon University survey taken in early October, after Florence hit, showed that 37 percent of Republicans believe global warming is “very likely” to negatively impact North Carolina coastal communities in the next 50 years. That is nearly triple the percentage of Republicans — 13 percent — who felt that way in 2017.

The percentage of Republicans who felt climate change is “not at all likely” to harm the state’s coastal communities dropped by 10 points over the past year — from 41 percent in September 2017 to 31 percent now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6d6_story.html

Last edited by madmonk28; 01-29-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:30 PM

Sanity may be overrated but it's better than going stark raving bonkers, which ain't funny.

Compartmentalization helps maintain my mental bubble. I do not watch TV or news vids. I do not observe political events. I read headline aggregators online and then proceed to sites of written and musical arts. I definitely don't argue politics because no attitudes will change. Tiddlywinks are more rewarding.

I read of a fellow who only reads newspapers when they're a decade old so he has some perspective on which reports are relevant. UFOs and crop circles haven't made headlines lately. Did the coverup work?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:24 PM

I click on a news aggregator every morning, to see if today is the day they dropped the big one, sort of half-hoping it is. Most days I scrollll through the headlines without clicking on any for more pointless details. Journalism is now so bad, the details I want are in the last paragraph, if there at all.

I keep my sanity by refusing to Hate or Fear, the two things the media spends the most effort coercing me to feel.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Four simple words.

"This, too, shall pass."
Yup. My late mother used to say this. She wasn't necessarily a fount of great wisdom, but she was right about that.

In a similar vein:

"The Good Ole Days weren't always good,
And tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems...."

- Billy Joel
Old 01-31-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Me too, not having children was the right call.
Me three. For a while I was sorta concerned that I'd missed out. Now I'm kind of glad.

If we can just make it another ~35 years or so before the world comes to an end....
Old 01-31-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Troubled times? What troubled times? It's just more of the same. The next regime will be idiots, too.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Troubled times? What troubled times? It's just more of the same. The next regime will be idiots, too.
If denialism is working for you to run out the clock, who am I to argue?
Old 01-31-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I wish I could be a denier, but reality keeps intruding, in spite of my efforts to avoid encountering it.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

I do my best to avoid Outrage Culture. Most of the news these days (especially on the internet) is designed more to get people riled up so the site gets more traffic than to actually impart any facts. I assume everything I read is biased and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, I'm angry about a lot of stuff that goes on, but I can't really affect it. Sad, but true. So I keep my head down, try to be kind, help when I can on an individual level, and focus on the things that I enjoy.

Like somebody mentioned upthread, I also try to keep the mantra, "This, too, shall pass" in mind. In many ways things are a dumpster fire now, but that won't last. It never does, if for no other reason than humans always want what they don't have. The pendulum will swing again, and things will get better. I keep telling myself that, anyway.

Also, cat videos. And real cats. They help a lot.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I wish I could be a denier, but reality keeps intruding, in spite of my efforts to avoid encountering it.
I really believe that we got where we are because of denialism. We turned a blind eye to racism in order to get along, we didn't challenge the anti-democratic movement rising in our country and we let virulent anti-intellectualism prevent us from taking action on climate change. I think that it's important that we call a racist a racist and embrace the shithole that is life in the 21st century.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Denialism? Everyone's an asshole. The current asshole hasn't done anything negative for my lifestyle. In fact, my investments are doing better than I have any right to expect with the current asshole.

I don't agree with a wall, but it doesn't affect me (and I have an immigrant spouse). It sucks that families are separated, but it doesn't affect me.

I don't deny of this crap, but it doesn't affect me, so why should my sanity suffer? And remember, the topic here is "sanity," and not something as simple as preferences.

There's no reason to lose my sanity, because everything is essentially status quo.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Denialism? Everyone's an asshole. The current asshole hasn't done anything negative for my lifestyle. In fact, my investments are doing better than I have any right to expect with the current asshole.

I don't agree with a wall, but it doesn't affect me (and I have an immigrant spouse). It sucks that families are separated, but it doesn't affect me.

I don't deny of this crap, but it doesn't affect me, so why should my sanity suffer? And remember, the topic here is "sanity," and not something as simple as preferences.

There's no reason to lose my sanity, because everything is essentially status quo.
I kind of want to be there when you Google climate change.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 PM

These days, I find that fast forwarding through Stephan Colbert's monologue is a coping strategy.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
These days, I find that fast forwarding through Stephan Colbert's monologue is a coping strategy.
Yeah, I've stopped watching it. It started out being cathartic, but eventually became too depressing.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I don't have children or grandchildren. Or nieces/nephews, for that matter (I'm an only child). I used to be sad about this-- now I'm kind of glad.
My only son died 11 years ago. As sad as that is for me I am so relieved that he will not have to endure whatever comes in the future.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:29 PM

My deeply-felt and well-earned sense of perspective. "This too shall pass" applies to every single thing in life, the good along with the bad.

There have been better times than now, but there have been a lot worse times within living memory. The world managed to make it through nuclear standoff for 40 years or so. It was tough for some people to decide to raise a family during that time, they didn't want to subject children to instant annihilation or worse, post-nuclear survival. When that ended some people thought it would be the millennium. When Obama was elected, some people thought it was the millennium. It's never the millennium, and it's never the end of the world.

I think the worst aspect of current American politics for many folks is that some people whom they hate are winning and thumbing their noses at everything those people hold dear. Those people should remember when they were winning and thumbing their noses at the losers. Everything goes both ways. That's all it is.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
My deeply-felt and well-earned sense of perspective. "This too shall pass" applies to every single thing in life, the good along with the bad.

There have been better times than now, but there have been a lot worse times within living memory. The world managed to make it through nuclear standoff for 40 years or so. It was tough for some people to decide to raise a family during that time, they didn't want to subject children to instant annihilation or worse, post-nuclear survival. When that ended.....
Are you sure it's ended?.....
Old 02-04-2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolL View Post
Are you sure it's ended?.....
The threat of global thermonuclear war, probably yes. The more likely threat today is limited-scope cheap dirty suitcase bombs. Doesn't change my point in the slightest.

Last edited by Roderick Femm; 02-04-2020 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:18 AM

My ex-wife and I lived with her parents for a year or so in Tokyo. They were both children during the war, but both saw their homes burned down during the firebombings of that city. Both lived through the poverty of the war and postwar periods. They saw democracy come out of military government.

One of my students here in Taiwan was a boy when he saw the Taiwanese army handcuff a line of people together and drive them into the ocean, facing being shot or drowning. It’s a much better world for them as well.

I think that America is going through a harder time than what people expected, but it’s still not that bad, comparatively speaking.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
My ex-wife and I lived with her parents for a year or so in Tokyo. They were both children during the war, but both saw their homes burned down during the firebombings of that city. Both lived through the poverty of the war and postwar periods. They saw democracy come out of military government.

One of my students here in Taiwan was a boy when he saw the Taiwanese army handcuff a line of people together and drive them into the ocean, facing being shot or drowning. Itís a much better world for them as well.

I think that America is going through a harder time than what people expected, but itís still not that bad, comparatively speaking.
To be honest, I think youíre really underestimating the extent of the problem, itís not that the US is going through a difficult time, itís that Pax Americana is ending precisely at precisely the time when climate change will create tensions and competition for resources. The tensions that created Trump are nothing to whatís coming.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:36 PM

UN chief warns ‘a wind of madness is sweeping the globe’
Quote:
UNITED NATIONS — U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Tuesday that “a wind of madness is sweeping the globe,” pointing to escalating conflicts from Libya and Yemen to Syria and beyond.

At a wide-ranging news conference, he said, “All situations are different but there is a feeling of growing instability and hair-trigger tensions, which makes everything far more unpredictable and uncontrollable, with a heightened risk of miscalculation.”

The U.N. chief also expressed great frustration that legally binding U.N. Security Council resolutions “are being disrespected before the ink is even dry.”

Guterres singled out Libya where he called the current offensives by the warring parties “a scandal” — coming soon after world powers and other key countries adopted a road map to peace in Berlin on Jan. 19 that called for respect for a U.N. arms embargo, an end to foreign interference in the fighting by rival governments and steps toward a cease-fire.

The secretary-general also expressed “enormous concern” at the escalation of attacks in Idlib, Syria’s last rebel-held province with a population of 3 million, and said the U.N. is “particularly worried” that the escalation now includes the Syrian and Tukish armies bombing each other. He again urged a cessation of hostilities “before the escalation comes to a situation that then becomes totally out of control.”

[Other problem areas listed]

The secretary-general stressed that global problems “feed on each other.”

“As economies falter, poverty remains entrenched. As future prospects look bleak, populist and ethnic nationalist narratives gain appeal,” he said. “As instability rises, investment dries up, and development cycles down. When armed conflicts persist, societies reach perilous tipping points. And as governance grows weak, terrorists get stronger, seizing on the vacuum.”

Guterres said that this year — as the United Nations marks its 75th anniversary — he will press “to break the vicious circles of suffering and conflict and push for a surge of diplomacy for peace.”
Yes, there have been seriously troubled times in the past. And we're heading into more and bigger storms. With a narcissistic toddler at the helm.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 02-04-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:26 AM

That (paywalled) article refers to conflict among nations, and I notice greater belligerence at a more individual level, too. Everyone seems to be saying, “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it any more!” It used to be that only the fanatics were fanatical, and now everyone seems to be looking for a fight.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love... and a global tragedy to put things back into perspective. Come on, coronavirus!

As you can see, my sanity’s long gone in these troubled times.