Old 01-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Download Tapatalk Notifier?

Why am I suddenly getting pop-up messages that can't be closed telling me to download Tapatalk Notifier "to be notified of private messages on this forum"? And how do I stop it?

I don't have Tapatalk on my phone, even, why would I want to add it to my browser? (Besides, it's not as if I get many messages.)
Old 01-18-2020, 01:36 PM

I don't know why it's happening. But, I will say I've see it on other message boards as well.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

We do have Tapatalk loaded on the website. However, we do not control what ads they might send out.

I guess this might be a good time ask if we still have people using Tapatalk. It was installed before we had a mobile interface and really you shouldn't need it. Could you folks let me know?

In case not everyone reads ATMB regularly (or at all, I'm also going to set an announcement so hopefully more people will see it and respond.

Please tell us

1) If you use tapatalk.
2) If you are seeing this message about tapatalk notifier, whether you use tapatalk or not.
3) If you have tried the built in mobile interface and if you did and then didn't use it, why it was not good for you.

Thanks.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Okay, was just looking at Tapatalk settings in the board and I found this:

Enable Tapatalk Notifier in Chrome
Users of your forum on Chome will be notified with 'Tapatalk Notifier'. Tapatalk Notifier for Chrome is a web browser extension that notify you with a small alert when you received a new Private Message from your forum members.

I am inclined to turn this off. Do any of you use this/would you use it?

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-18-2020, 02:24 PM

TubaDiva - I do occasionally get that message when I access the board from my phone. And I do not use Tapatalk, nor do I anticipate doing so.

Hope that helps.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 01-18-2020, 02:29 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

By chance are you using Chrome?

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-18-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaDiva View Post

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
On my phone? I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea. Kinda of a techno-dolt. If you tell me how I can tell, I'll check and get back to you.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 01-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
On my phone? I'm ashamed to admit that I have no idea. Kinda of a techno-dolt. If you tell me how I can tell, I'll check and get back to you.
What kind of phone do you have? If it's an Android, Chrome is probably your default browser. What does the icon for your browser look like? If it looks like this, it's Chrome.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:26 PM

I get the notification now and then. Safari on iPhone X. I’ve never used the app and don’t plan to. It has been a while since I’ve seen it, but it pops up sporadically.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM

I am a heavy user of Tapatalk for this and for other forums (three total). I don't use the mobile version of SDMB because the print is too small, having all of my forums in one place with Tapatalk is convenient and Tapatalk is much easier to use that the mobile version of SDMB on Mobile Chrome for Android. I do not get notified of PMs or anything else, so I can't speak to that, but I've gotten the Hey this forum supports Taptalk popup the few times that I've used the SDMB mobile version, and admit that it is annoying. If there is an intent to divorce Tapatalk from the SDMB, my participation on the board would be limited. I would hope that there would be a way to disable the Tapatalk popup on the server side. But if there is no way to do that, I would certainly understand the SDMB disassociating itself from Tapatalk altogether. Such is life.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I don't use Tapatalk, but I also don't use the 'built-in' mobile interface for the Board, either. It's very rare for me to access it from my phone and I prefer the old interface anyway.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:50 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

No no no, we don't want to lose you. We're just trying to figure this out.

I am going to try to turn off the Tapatalk Notifier function in the board. If that turns off Tapatalk as well I'll turn it back on.

Jenny
Old 01-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

<confused> Lose who? I, at least, just renewed for another 2 years (getting in ahead of the original renewal date by a whole lot).
Old 01-18-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
We do have Tapatalk loaded on the website. However, we do not control what ads they might send out.

I guess this might be a good time ask if we still have people using Tapatalk. It was installed before we had a mobile interface and really you shouldn't need it. Could you folks let me know?

In case not everyone reads ATMB regularly (or at all, I'm also going to set an announcement so hopefully more people will see it and respond.

Please tell us

1) If you use tapatalk.
2) If you are seeing this message about tapatalk notifier, whether you use tapatalk or not.
3) If you have tried the built in mobile interface and if you did and then didn't use it, why it was not good for you.

Thanks.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Yes

No

Yes

If tapatalk is gone, I won't use these boards on my phone. There is zero reason to remove it.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

We're not planning to remove it. And I hope I've turned off that notification thing.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Well, Tapatalk itself seems to be working.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

I'm not sure exactly what TubaDiva just turned off. When I looked at this a long time ago, there was a script that ran that checked to see if you had a browser from a device that supported tapatalk. If you did, it popped up a one-time notification.

The way that it made sure that it was only a one-time notification was that it set a cookie. If you had a cookie problem on your end, you could end up getting constant notifications, like what the OP describes. The typical "clear your cookies, clear your browser cache" advice works for these problems.

We also had a problem that showed up only on Apple devices. It looked like some sort of bug on Apple's end. The way one user got out of it was that they tried to enter an exception to prevent the tapatalk script from running, but entered the exception wrong and accidentally blocked the entire straight dope message board. They then removed the exception, so they should have been right back where they started. But that somehow cleared the problem. So it seems like there is some weird cramp that Apple devices can get into where they aren't properly processing cookies. I have no idea if that is still the case or not with more recent Apple devices. We haven't had any recent reports of issues with it.

If TubaDiva turned off the notification script, then that should kill the pop-up too.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
What kind of phone do you have? If it's an Android, Chrome is probably your default browser. What does the icon for your browser look like? If it looks like this, it's Chrome.
It's an Android, yes, but that's not the icon. According to the almighty interwebz, it's Samsung Internet.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:31 PM

Don't have it, don't want it, don't need it, and I am sick and tired of getting notifications to download it, (like I got when I tried to log in for this session.)
Thanks.

P.S. I use a Samsung tablet. The normal display is big enough for me.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 01-18-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

For you Samsung tablet users, you've tried blocking ads? I find this:

Quote:
How do I stop adverts on my Samsung tablet?
Launch the browser, tap on the three dots at the top right of the screen, then choose Settings, Site Settings. Scroll down to Pop-ups and ensure the slider is set to Blocked.
Sorry it's been annoying. I've turned the notification off on this end.

If that is not sufficient, you probably have a cookie on this set in your system. Try clearing cookies and see if that helps.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator

Last edited by TubaDiva; 01-19-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 AM

On my iphone with Chrome, if I go to the message board, I get a information popup asking me if I want to download Tapatalk. It's easily clicked away. I am not logged in, nor do I login from my phone.

With my ipad with Chrome, I never got the Tapatalk popup. I now have my password saved on my ipad, so I am logged if if I visit the boards from my ipad.

I normally use Chrome on my MacBook. I do not sync Chrome across the devices. That is, I am not logged in to Chrome.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:25 AM

i haven't seen it for a while but i used ot get it every time i went to the board on the tablet..... i even tried to use it on one but now i just clock the "desktop version for this site" every time i come here on mobile
Old 01-19-2020, 07:02 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

I regularly access the board from my Android-based phone using Chrome. I do not have TapaTalk or any desire to use it. I have not received any messages for TapaTalk Notifier.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I use Tapatalk. I've never aeen anything about Notifier.

Tapatalk does have one shortcoming. It doesn't support polls. When I see a poll I want to answer, I load the site in a browser.

Last edited by davidm; 01-19-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I use Tapatalk almost exclusively on my phone, and I use the regular site on my iPad (not the mobile skin). I dont use the mobile version of the board, and I like that on Tapatalk I can easily move between a few different message boards.

Its not a perfect app by a long shot, but Id miss it. I use Safari on my iPad and chrome on my computer and never get notifier pop ups, fwiw.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I use Tapatalk when I'm away from the computer and want to check the board on the phone. I rarely post from it, though. And I wasn't aware of the "mobile interface". (Does that just mean the site is optimized for smartphone users accessing it via a web browser?)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:31 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I use Tapatalk to access the board on my phone exclusively. Probably about 60% of my board access is using Tapatalk. I paid for the app and everything.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:36 AM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I use Tapatalk when I'm away from the computer and want to check the board on the phone. I rarely post from it, though. And I wasn't aware of the "mobile interface". (Does that just mean the site is optimized for smartphone users accessing it via a web browser?)
Yes.

Jenny
your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 PM

I use Tapatalk when I’m going to post a picture because they do their own hosting. I haven’t run into any Notifier issues.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:37 AM

I don't use Tapatalk. I do occasionally get the small popup at the bottom asking me if I want to use it, but I say no. I may have gotten a notification for Notifier before, but it was definitely not a full screen popup.

That said, the mobile skin AFAIK, still has those problems I've tried to get fixed. Does Tapatalk work properly with spoilers and code tags?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:20 AM

My Data points;

I am currently using Brave Browser for phone browsing, which is, I beleive, a chrome based browser(whatever that means)

Tried tapatalk once a couple years ago. The experience was terrible and I immediately removed it and went back to directly viewing via browser.

The only time I get anything about the app on my phone is when I clear my cookie and other caches from my browser. It's never an issue, I just select to never see the message again and decline the offer.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:23 AM

Ack! That was supposed to say something about the board wanting me to download the tapatalk app
Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 AM

I use tapatalk to browse the forum from mobile. Tapatalk works, but the app regularly has various sorts of issues requiring occasional deletion of app data/cache etc.

I believe I have gotten the 'download tapatalk notifier'-notice, but not for a while now.

I'm not sure what, exactly, is meant by 'mobile version' of the SMDB; when I navigate to the address boards.straightdope.com on Chrome on my phone, I just see a lot of impossibly tiny text which does not really seem usable to me.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:08 PM

I never use it. I tried it long ago and didn't like the interface.

I rarely read SDMB on my phone (iPhone and Safari) but I do on the iPad. There I use either Chrome or Safari, and have never seen anything other that the 'Did you know about Tapatalk?' popup. I've not had the notification on my desktop either.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Don’t have don’t want. Chrome on iPhone works fine. I get prompted to download tapatalk when not signed in, but not when I am.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I used to be a heavy user of Tapatalk until they pissed me off enough* that I decided to ditch it. Luckily that was right about the time that the Sultantheme skin became available, so I've been using that (in Chrome, on an Android phone) ever since.

* First they started inserting ads. Which sucked because one reason I became a member was to not see ads. I also had problems with randomly getting logged out. Then, even though I had already paid once for the app, they kept pestering me to upgrade to some "VIP level". And it was constant, like every second or third thread I would open I'd get the reminder again, and there was no way to turn it off. So I just quit using it.

- The Police, "One World"
Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 PM

I'm using Tapatalk without issue. It works fully without ads or problems - I like browsing the dope with it...
Old 01-23-2020, 07:02 PM

I tried Tapatalk a couple years ago, and preferred my phone's browser. iPhone X, Safari, Sultantheme.

Usually when I go to SDMB (typically by tapping a link in a subscribed thread email) I get a popup dialog. "Cancel" to close the dialog, or "Continue" to go to the app store, IIRC. There's no popup today, but I think I've seen it as recently as yesterday.

I've never seen any Tapatalk dialog on my Windows PC using either Chrome or IE.

Last edited by Rhodes; 01-23-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

No, nothing like that my end.

I haven't been getting any annoying pop-ups, but I do have the paid version of Tapatalk which costs about a dollar per month.

Although the mobile browser version works satisfactorily, I still find reading and posting in Tapatalk to be more comfortable generally. I think most of my posts these days have the Tapatalk auto-signature that I don't bother to prevent.

But not this post, interestingly enough.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 01-24-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I just got the popup this morning. OnePlus 6T, Android 9. Easily dismissed. Have never loaded nor used Tapatalk. I was logged in.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

One point I think I wasn't clear on: the notification I asked about was received while browsing from my computer. I don't visit the site using my phone, which is why I was puzzled and asked about it.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:19 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
One point I think I wasn't clear on: the notification I asked about was received while browsing from my computer. I don't visit the site using my phone, which is why I was puzzled and asked about it.
The Tapatalk notification triggers on Chrome regardless of the device, so it will trigger on a PC.

I don't remember it triggering on Firefox. I don't think it does but not 100 percent certain on that. I know it triggers on Opera, Blackberry (anyone still use those?), iPhones and iPads. Maybe Kindle, not sure.