Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

I need hard science fiction and fantasy trivia quesstions

I've been given the task of preparing 30 HARD trivia questions from the fandom world.

Television
Film
Comics
Literature

So can you all help?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:38 PM

Just testing the waters - are these too hard, too easy or just right?

1) (Lit) In the 1980's two SF authors independently wrote novels about space elevators in the same year. Who were they and what were the novels?

2) (TV) Which Babylon 5 character name references a Star Trek injoke
Old 02-10-2020, 10:55 PM

Probably way too easy, but:

1) Comics. What manga dealt with the adventures of orbital debris collectors? Planetes

2) Books) What novel gave the phrase, "Think of it as evolution in action." to the science fiction community? Oath of Fealty.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 PM

3) Here's the pseudonym - give me the real name
a) Paul French
b) Lyle Monroe
c) Don A. Stuart
d) William Tenn
Old 02-11-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Some of these questions are very intriguing. So why are only a couple of you including the freaking answers?
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Just testing the waters - are these too hard, too easy or just right?

1) (Lit) In the 1980's two SF authors independently wrote novels about space elevators in the same year. Who were they and what were the novels?

2) (TV) Which Babylon 5 character name references a Star Trek injoke
SPOILER:
1) Arthur C. Clarke and Charles Sheffield; The Fountains of Paradise and The Web Between Worlds
2) Garabaldi, the B5 security officer shares a name with the Italian revolutionary who led the group known as the "Red Shirts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
3) Here's the pseudonym - give me the real name
a) Paul French
b) Lyle Monroe
c) Don A. Stuart
d) William Tenn
SPOILER:
a) Isaac Asimov
b) Robert Heinlein
c) John W. Campbell, Jr.
d) Philip Klass

Last edited by Andy L; 02-11-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

3. This major flop was the reason that Hollywood avoided big-budget science fiction films for twenty years. Name the film.
4. What science fiction television show had the greatest number of individual episodes? (And, no, it's not Doctor Who)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
3. This major flop was the reason that Hollywood avoided big-budget science fiction films for twenty years. Name the film.
4. What science fiction television show had the greatest number of individual episodes? (And, no, it's not Doctor Who)
4 is Space Patrol with > 1000 episodes (900 are 15 min long). Doctor Who is second I believe.

Brian
Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
4 is Space Patrol with > 1000 episodes (900 are 15 min long). Doctor Who is second I believe.

Dark Shadows had 1,225 episodes.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
3. Just Imagine an SF/musical featuring the long forgotten El Brendel. The movie had a major budget, but failed miserably (though the sets were reused).

4. Captain Video. It's hard to come up with an episode count, but it ran 5 (and in the first year 6) episodes a week for almost six years. That hits around 1500 episodes, though I have no idea if it went on hiatus in the summer. It was unlikely to have been reruns, given the era.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Here are a few off the top of my head

1.) The submarine Nautilus featured in two of Jules Verne's novels -- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island. What is the third Verne novel that had a submarine in it?

2.) Verne made Captain Nemo an Indian prince (as portrayed in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but that was at the urging of his publisher. What was Nemo's original nationality to have been?

3.) Which two iconic science fiction series got their start in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories?

4.) Aliens arrive on earth in Flying Saucers in the movies The Thing (from Another World), The Day the Earth Stood Still, and This Island Earth, but what else do the spaceships in these three films have in common?

5.) Before they appeared in Star Trek, James Doohan and William Shatner both appeared as regular cast member in what other TV show?

6.) This film featured a giant creature invading a city and being attacking in turn by biplanes, years BEFORE King Kong. What was the film?

7.) Robert Heinlein was given a plot by John W. Campbell for a story, which he wrote into a full novel and Campbell published, After his death, Campbell's own story using that plot was published. Name both stories.

8.) Jules Verne wrote a sequel to this story by Edgar Allan Poe

9.) Who was Austin Carter?

10.) Who was Geoffrey Avalon?

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-10-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Here are a few off the top of my head

Sure that one is SF?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Sure that one is SF?
Yes. It's fantasy, too.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
5.) Before they appeared in Star Trek, James Doohan and William Shatner both appeared as regular cast member in what other TV show?
Slattery's People?

Which two TV series had leading characters with the first names Harriman and Heywood?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Now with Answers!

1.) The submarine Nautilus featured in two of Jules Verne's novels -- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island. What is the third Verne novel that had a submarine in it?

SPOILER:
I'd forgotten, as I said, that the Terrible in Master of the World could submerge, so I have to ad that one.

I had the submarine in For the Flag in mind. It was memorably brought to the screen in the 1958 Czech film marketed in the US as The Fabulous World of Jules Verne.

The last Verne work with a submarine is his play [iJourney Through the Impossible[/i], which was long thought lost. It has been published (in English by Prometheus Press) and at long last re-staged after over a century since its previous production. It has scenes set aboard the [Nautilus.

2.) Verne made Captain Nemo an Indian prince (as portrayed in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but that was at the urging of his publisher. What was Nemo's original nationality to have been?
SPOILER:
He was supposed to be Polish, fighting for Poland's independence. His publisher didn't want to alienate European readers. Apparently he didn't care about losing British readers by making Nemo an Indian prince, rebelling against the British crown.

3.) Which two iconic science fiction series got their start in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories?

SPOILER:
That issue has both the first installment of E.E. Smith's Skylark of Space and the first half of the story of Anthony Rogers by Philip Nowlan. A year later he was brought to the comics page as "Buck Rogers"

4.) Aliens arrive on earth in Flying Saucers in the movies The Thing (from Another World), The Day the Earth Stood Still, and This Island Earth, but what else do the spaceships in these three films have in common?

SPOILER:
All three are based on science fiction stories -- Farewell to the Master by Harry Bates, Who Goes There! by John W., Campbell, and the novel This Island Earth by Raymond F. Jones. In all three stories, the alien ship is NOT a flying saucer. In Farewell to the Master and This Island Earth the ship is ovoid, and in Who Goes There it's said to resemble a submarine. The ships were changed to flying saucers because of the "flying saucer" craze that began in 1947.

SPOILER:
Both were in the Canadian version of Howdy Doody, which was different from the US production. That show also introduced a magical box that could travel anywhere in space and time, which was probably the origin of the tARDIS.

6.) This film featured a giant creature invading a city and being attacking in turn by biplanes, years BEFORE King Kong. What was the film?

SPOILER:
Winsor McKay's early animated cartoon The Giant Pet, based on an episode from his strip "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend" https://criticalcommons.org/Members/...s/the-pet-1921

7.) Robert Heinlein was given a plot by John W. Campbell for a story, which he wrote into a full novel and Campbell published, After his death, Campbell's own story using that plot was published. Name both stories.

SPOILER:
The Heinlein story was "Sixth Column, later retitled The Day After Tomorrow. The Campbell story was All, printed in the posthumous collection The Space Beyond.

8.) Jules Verne wrote a sequel to this story by Edgar Allan Poe

SPOILER:
The Sphinx of the Icefields was Verne's sequel to Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, his only novel. H. P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness is, arguably, anopther sequel.

9.) Who was Austin Carter?

SPOILER:
"Austin Carter" was a character in Anthony Boucher's mystery novel Rocket to the Morgue. The novel is a roman de clef of the Southern California SF writing community in the 1940s, and Carter is a thnly disguised Robert Heinlein.

SPOILER:
Similarly, Geiffrey Avalon is a character in several of Isaac Asimov's "Black Widowers" series, based upon the real-life "Trapdoor Spiders" club, of whgich Asimov was a member. Many of his fictional characters are thinly disguised version of real-life members. In this case, Geoffrey Avalon corresponds to L. Sprague de Camp.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-11-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
And thanks to everyone who posted the answers to their trivia questions, especially CalMeacham, who reminded me that The Fabulous World of Jules Verne is a thing. And a thing that I want to watch but had forgotten about.
I didn't realize I was expected to include the answers right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
On the BBC series Blake's 7, the first time Blake referred to the "seven," who were the seven?
SPOILER:
Blake, Avon, Vila, Gan, Jenna, Cally, and Zen (the ship's computer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Another Blake question, although this one is a little easier: of Blake and his crew, all of the men were referred to by their last names, and all of the women by their first (or only) names - with one exception. Who was the exception?
SPOILER:
Vila Restal - the others are, IIRC, (men) Raj Blake, Kerr Avon, Olag Gan, Dev Tarrant, (women) Jenna Stannis, Dayna Mellanby, "just" Cally, and "just" Soolin.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

SPOILER:
Both were in the Canadian version of Howdy Doody, which was different from the US production. That show also introduced a magical box that could travel anywhere in space and time, which was probably the origin of the tARDIS.
Amazingly, there's another answer.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I am truly impressed.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Characters in WATCHMEN were replacements for existing comic-book superheroes; Doctor Manhattan swapped in for Captain Atom, and Nite Owl for the Blue Beetle. What character with a doubly-phallic name was the original for Ozymandias?

SPOILER:
Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt
Old 02-10-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

The delicate balance here will be coming up with questions that are significant trivia, so to speak. Asking what's the first word on page 30 of the first edition of Return of the King is difficult but not especially interesting.

Here are a couple that may be too easy, but definitely deal with interesting bits of SF lore:

Who is the only person to win the Hugo award for best novel three years in a row? (NK Jemisin; ask for the author's first name, Nora, to make it harder)

In whose likeness was the World Fantasy Award trophy made until 2015? (HP Lovecraft; to make it harder, ask in what year the trophy was changed).

Who wrote "A True Story," a second century Greek novel whose protagonist traveled to the moon?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
The delicate balance here will be coming up with questions that are significant trivia, so to speak. Asking what's the first word on page 30 of the first edition of Return of the King is difficult but not especially interesting.
So you're saying "what have I got in my pocket?" is unfair to ask?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Who wrote "A True Story," a second century Greek novel whose protagonist traveled to the moon?
Something stirring in the dusty cobwebs of my teenage memory tells me it was Lucian of Samos. Correct?

Which 16th/17th-century astronomer also wrote a novel about a trip to the Moon?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:27 PM

What was the name of the short story that became a cult SciFi movie, starring a Canadian wrestler?
How do you get a stubborn bomb to return to the bomb bay?
In the book A Clockwork Orange, how old was Alex deLarge in the beginning?

Eight O'Clock in the Morning by Ray Faraday Nelson. The movie was They Live.
Teach it Phenomenology.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:01 AM

In the novel A Clockwork Orange, what is the derivation of the word Nadsat?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:30 AM

The star of the syndicated Canadian show Police Surgeon also had a featured role on a network SF series. Name the actor, the character, and the series.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
The star of the syndicated Canadian show Police Surgeon also had a featured role on a network SF series. Name the actor, the character, and the series.
The star of the British show Police Surgeon also had a featured role on a SF series. Name the actor, the character, and the series.

SPOILER:
Ian Hendry, who was the credited star of the first season of The Avengers, playing Doctor David Keel. Bit of a stretch, since the show didn't have any science fiction in it until the 4th season, but I couldn't resist the similarity.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 02-11-2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
The star of the British show Police Surgeon also had a featured role on a SF series. Name the actor, the character, and the series.

SPOILER:
Ian Hendry, who was the credited star of the first season of The Avengers, playing Doctor David Keel. Bit of a stretch, since the show didn't have any science fiction in it until the 4th season, but I couldn't resist the similarity.

Although your country of origin correction is correct, your answer is wrong. Ian Hendry was the star of the greatest SF TV show ever made: The Adventures of Don Quick.

(OK, maybe not the greatest )
Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF Hefel View Post
Although your country of origin correction is correct, ...
No correction intended. There were two different shows called Police Surgeon.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
No correction intended. There were two different shows called Police Surgeon.

Sorry. I had never heard of the Canadian show. I didn't realize you were proposing a parallel question.

Ian Hendry is a great answer to a SF trivia question. He was also a star of the SF movie Doppelgänger. (Mr Hendry's selection process for work was somewhat impaired.)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWF Hefel View Post
Although your country of origin correction is correct, your answer is wrong. Ian Hendry was the star of the greatest SF TV show ever made: The Adventures of Don Quick.

(OK, maybe not the greatest )
The correct answers are Sam Groom, who played "Jerry, the Technician" on Irwin Allen's The Time Tunnel.

The Canadian series was alternatively known as Dr Simon Locke.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 AM

What TV series had a robot called Rhoda, and how was she (it) controlled?

BONUS POINTS: Name the series original stars.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

How many novels did Martin Caidin write starring his bionic Steve Austin character?

Four - Cyborg, Operation Nuke, High Crystal and Cyborg IV

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 02-11-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:40 AM

In what Warner Bros. cartoon was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century parodied?:

What SF parody featured a character named Dr Flexi Jerkoff?
Old 02-11-2020, 02:50 AM

Asking the meaning of acronyms could be useful--the meaning of KITT, KARR, ALF, VICI, CHOMPS, etc. (Knight Industries Two Thousand, Knight Automated Roving Robot, Alien Live Form, Voice Input Child Identicant, Canine HOMe Protection System.)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Alien Live Form
Nitpick: Life, not live.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Nitpick: Life, not live.
Thought I corrected that--the phone already changed it once.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:52 AM

In Dark Star, what did the astronauts' portable life support units consist of?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:12 AM

James Doohan was in an episode of Twilight Zone with an actress who would later play an important role on Dallas. Name her.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:20 AM

In 2001: A Space Odyssey, on what date did HAL first become operational, and what does HAL stand for?

SPOILER:
The correct reply to the first question is "in the book, or in the movie?" HAL became operational on January 12th; 1992 in the movie, 1997 in the book.

The second question is easier, Heuristically Programmed ALgorithmic Computer.

Quote:
James Doohan was in an episode of Twilight Zone with an actress who would later play an important role on Dallas. Name her.
Would that be Suzanne Cupito, by any chance?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:27 AM

On 3rd Rock from the Sun, when Dick meets the Big Giant Head, they discover that they have an unusual experience in common. What was it?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
On 3rd Rock from the Sun, when Dick meets the Big Giant Head, they discover that they have an unusual experience in common. What was it?
SPOILER:
They both had journeys disrupted by a strange creature attempting to sabotage the vessel in which they were traveling.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Would that be Suzanne Cupito, by any chance?
Yep. AKA Morgan Brittany, who played Pam Ewing's crazy half-sister Katherine Wentworth, who "killed" Bobby Ewing at the end of Season 8. The TZ episode was "Valley of the Shadow."

Very good!
Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 AM

Complete these lines in Plan 9 from Outer Space: "Imagine a ____ __ _________ is your Sun" and "Now go on. Take off into your _____ _____ ___________."
Old 02-11-2020, 03:50 AM

One of the actors featured in Robinson Crusoe on Mars would go on to become an iconic TV star of the '60s. Name him.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:12 AM

A really hard one: What is the SF connection between Mr Ed, Star Trek, and Family Affair?
Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 AM

Easy one: On Star Trek, what did the various fixtures on the walls of the Enterprise's corridors consist of?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Okay I'll bite. Who is is Geoffrey Avalon?

There is a character by that name in the Black Widowers stories by Asimov. These are usually not fantasy or science fiction. Is it that the character is loosely based on L. Sprague de Camp?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay I'll bite. Who is is Geoffrey Avalon?

There is a character by that name in the Black Widowers stories by Asimov. These are usually not fantasy or science fiction. Is it that the character is loosely based on L. Sprague de Camp?
Yes. de Camp wrote both fantasy and SF (In fact, he wrote The Science Fiction Writer's Handbook).

If you think the fact that the Asimov stories are themselves mysteries, and not themselves SF/Fantasy, and therefore don't qualify for this trivia test, then you and I have different standards for what constitutes Appropriate Material, and you probably wouldn't like the one about Austin Carter, either.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 AM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

"According to Tolkien (in some of his earliest writings on the topic), which two Vala were most sympathetic to, and often aligned with Melko?"

SPOILER:
Makar and his sister Meássë
Old 02-11-2020, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

If that's your standard, then you might as well ask trivia questions about Half a Sixpence.

And I've no idea who Austin Carter is.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 02-11-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Besides the Jules Verne novel alluded to above, a submarine figures prominently in a fourth literary work by Verne, as well. Name it.