Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:36 PM

Local sportswriter has F word on her twitter home page.

see it here. https://twitter.com/SaraCivian

For a job page I think it's very unprofessional. I asked her about it and she did not reply. It would be OK for a personal page. She's around 27. Anyone think it's OK for a business page? I assume her boss knows about it but maybe not.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 PM

Huh. She’s local to me, too. Couldn’t care less that she has that on her page and I think it’s kind of weird that you contacted her about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM

I dunno if it's appropriate, but I approve of it wholeheartedly. The word 'fuck' completely lost its teeth in the nineties, to the point where I find it implausible that anybody younger than fifty is offended by it anymore. The only reason that saying it is considered literally worse than murder by the MPAA is because the MPAA is entirely composed of crusty ancient dudes. It would be a fine thing if society would wake up and smell the intensifiers and shift their focus to words that have retained their offensive quality, like 'moist'.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 PM

one thing about the MPAA is they only allow you to rate movies if you have kids.

Would it be OK to put the F word in your email signature at a business?
Old 02-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
one thing about the MPAA is they only allow you to rate movies if you have kids.

Would it be OK to put the F word in your email signature at a business?
Wanna define "Okay"? That's the sort of thing that's dictated by factors like "how does your boss feel" and "do you sell to a lot of ancient people".
Old 02-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
Couldn’t care less that she has that on her page and I think it’s kind of weird that you contacted her about it.
I agree with this. It’s not racist, not sexist, Doesn’t espouse or promote any harmful thing or idea, so why get on her case?

“Fuck” the curse word, cursing in general, and fucking the act are healthy things that shouldn’t be censored or censured by society. Kids would grow up with healthier ideas about sex of it weren’t treated as a shameful taboo subject.

She didn’t curse at a customer of the business after all.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-11-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 PM

So putting F word in a business email is OK if you don't sell to anyone over the age of 40? or 30?

I really cannot imagine at any job I had that cursing in a business email would be OK. I expect it would get me fired if the email was to a customer or potential customer.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So putting F word in a business email is OK if you don't sell to anyone over the age of 40? or 30?

I really cannot imagine at any job I had that cursing in a business email would be OK. I expect it would get me fired if the email was to a customer or potential customer.
Well, sure, but you're not a sportscaster.

But, here's a fun excerpt from a deposition (both the witness and his lawyer were sanctioned)

Quote:
MR. BODZIN: I'm going to ask the question again and I'll ask it a different way so as to make sure that I'm not characterizing this witness's testimony.
THE WITNESS: Get his [Ziccardi's] permission.
MR. BODZIN: I don't need his permission.
THE WITNESS: Yes you do.
Q. My question is in submitting loans originated by HTFC for purchase by GMAC, was it HTFC's policy that so long as there was an appraisal that supported the value of the property, it was not up to HTFC to report to GMAC flip activity?
MR. ZICCARDI: Same objection. Go ahead.
A. My attorney just told you to get fucked and so did I.
MR. ZICCARDI: No.
THE WITNESS: Okay. That's for the record.
Q. First of all, your attorney didn't tell me that. You told me that and now you can answer the question.
A. Go get fucked.
Q. You're not answering the question?
A. I did answer your question.
Q. No, that's not an answer to the question.
A. That's my answer to your question.
Q. Okay.
A. My attorney very nicely told you that he objects. Fuck you. And I'm telling you on behalf of my attorney, fuck you.

GMAC Bank v. HTFC Corp
., 248 F.R.D. 182 (ED PA 2008)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Again, it's all about the environment, the expectations, and the responses. Who you expect to see the email - are they old? Are they your boss? Are they customers who are old?

I for one have both sworn and heard my boss swear at work - and I'm in my forties and my boss is older. We're just not old enough to freak out over that kind of swearing. That's for OLD people to freak out about.

But, that said, business emails are all about putting a mask on - pretending to be somebody you're not (and who few people are). This very often can include putting on airs - and inappropriate or not, there are word choices one will avoid in such situations.

If I was a sportswriter in my twenties then fuck, my mask might include more swearing than I would no normally.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:10 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:

Clearly, you have never worked at an advertising agency. Ad agencies are fueled by caffeine and foul language (though the bad language in emails is nearly always limited to internal recipients).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 02-11-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 PM

And of course, it’s the single most versatile word in the English language. It’s a super word!
I’m not sure there’s a single word class that it doesn’t fit.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

She writes about professional hockey. Doubtful anyone cares. We hockey fans are a profane bunch (even when we are old or, as was said above, "ancient"). I resemble that remark, so what?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
She writes about professional hockey. Doubtful anyone cares. We hockey fans are a profane bunch (even when we are old or, as was said above, "ancient"). I resemble that remark, so what?
When I had hockey season tickets, my friends and I said the unofficial NHL motto is "Fucking bullshit." Watch every player who gets a penalty. Nine times out of ten of them says this. I loved it when we'd be watching a game on TV, and the camera has a close-up on the player in the box, and you can read his lips.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:04 PM

The President of the United States called his impeachment "bullshit" and you're concerned about someone saying the word "fuck" on Twitter?
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The President of the United States called his impeachment "bullshit" and you're concerned about someone saying the word "fuck" on Twitter?
To many people (in america, at least) "fuck" is a magic special word, with a higher level of "strength" than many other swear words. Sort of like how "shit" is stronger than "crap" - despite them being synonyms.

And yes, this is all completely arbitrary. The notable thing about "fuck" is that while it used to be The Worst Word Ever, in the late eighties and early nineties rebellious children overused all to hell, to the point the nobody growing up in that era could take it seriously anymore. It's the most rapid defanging of an offensive word I'm aware of.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 PM

Not concerned about it , just wondering what other people think. I should note that she tweets all kinds of stuff not related to her job. Some people have a personal twitter and one for their job, she only has 1 twitter account.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Not concerned about it , just wondering what other people think. I should note that she tweets all kinds of stuff not related to her job. Some people have a personal twitter and one for their job, she only has 1 twitter account.
Couldnít possibly be less bothered.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 PM

And it’s not a business email. It’s Twitter. It fits in perfectly well with the platform and the topic she’s discussing.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:

You contacted her about it, though. I’m curious about what you said.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 PM

I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care. I would be surprised if he doesn't follow her on twitter. I think her boss is in Charlotte and she's in Raleigh. Also it was interesting a few weeks back she said she has a roommate, not too surprising since I would think her pay is pretty low. Her roommate works for the Canes doing promotions at the home games. this is her roommate , she also does other sports jobs.

https://www.abbylabar.com/
Old 02-11-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care.
And I assume that she thinks that you are a creep that should mind their own business.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
And I assume that she thinks that you are a creep that should mind their own business.
Yeah, asking a sports related question is fine. But some rando dude asking about her personal life does come off as creepy.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:37 PM

Oh dear, a HOCKEY writer, has the F-word, on her twitter page? Oh my.

Don't ever watch an interview with John Tortorella.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care.
I canít believe a female sports writer didnít reply to some random dude criticizing her on Twitter.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care. I would be surprised if he doesn't follow her on twitter. I think her boss is in Charlotte and she's in Raleigh. Also it was interesting a few weeks back she said she has a roommate, not too surprising since I would think her pay is pretty low. Her roommate works for the Canes doing promotions at the home games. this is her roommate , she also does other sports jobs.

This, on the other hand, bothers me. Dude....
Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Yeah, it seems creepy how you say you aren't bothered by it, but you want to know if her boss knows, and also that you are connecting this discussion to the fact that you know she has a roommate, and you know who it is, and what her job and her Twitter account is. At best, you seem weirdly paternalistic toward her.

If you are bothered by it, it is perfectly ok to tell her that. I would suggest something like, "Hi. I'm a fan of your sportscasting, and have been following you on Twitter. I'm bothered by your use of the F-word, and the fact that it is on your page. I just thought you might want to know. I will/will not (you choose) be continuing to follow you."

If you aren't bothered by it, but you're just surprised, it makes perfect sense to have a thread about that here, but seems very odd to make a point of asking if her boss knows. It almost sounds like you're threatening to tell on her, or as I said, being paternalistic.

And I think gathering personal tidbits about someone from their tweets and listing them out as personal knowledge about them is the sort of thing that can make women feel wary about how the internet treats women.

Last edited by eschrodinger; 02-12-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Giving off a bit of a creepy vibe.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I agree, the roommate thing is creepy as hell. And the question about whether her boss knows about it is something I would assume is an implied threat to go over her head to inform the boss about it.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:03 AM

I may have to go buy some pearls so I can clutch them. Mark me down for the "not a big deal in that context, but not appropriate in other contexts" group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
@ OP ó I don't know if you set higher standards for females, but Lily Allen is a rather popular female singer.
That's debatable (the "rather popular" part and, if you're in a snarky mood, the "singer" part. I'm pretty sure she's female unless I've missed a memo).
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 PM

I'm not sure how her roommate's relevant.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
I'm not sure how her roommate's relevant.
Probably isn't. But I liked what she wrote on her site's homepage. Sounds like she'd be worth reading, if I followed hockey.
ďIt may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.Ē
― Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens
Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM

I say fuck all the time. No, not at work in the office, although I did from time to time at my old job. Not around patients or customers, but to coworkers, sure.

I don't see what the huge deal is. If her boss knows about it and doesn't care, why gripe about it? Other people can make personal choices regarding whether they'd want to listen to someone who says it, and that's their right. But complaining to her about it when she obviously knows and wants it there just makes you come off like a Karen.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Looks like it's just a personal account that's verified, and she posts work stuff on there too. Not that it matters.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM

Guess I forgot many people here think Sanders is too far to the right. So a little bad word doesn't bother most people here.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
So a little bad word doesn't bother most people here.
All depends on context and placement. An F bomb in front of kindergartners is a different thing than an F bomb on your Twitter account, where 99% of your followers are adult sports fans.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Guess I forgot many people here think Sanders is too far to the right. So a little bad word doesn't bother most people here.
It doesn't twist my knickers or make me fall on my fainting couch.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What the hell does Bernie Sanders have to do with anything? Are you even trying to make sense?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
What the hell does Bernie Sanders have to do with anything? Are you even trying to make sense?
He's conflating age with political alignment. Admittedly there is a correlation, particularly when you focus on the sort of ancientness that includes being out of touch with the development of language use over the past forty years.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
He's conflating age with political alignment. Admittedly there is a correlation, particularly when you focus on the sort of ancientness that includes being out of touch with the development of language use over the past forty years.
OK, but Bernie Sanders is 79 years old. He predates the baby boom generation.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 PM

I don't really get why a person who works at a sports writing job that drops 'fucks' into articles having a 'fuck' on their home page would be a big deal. Clearly it's part of their brand, and like other people have said it's likely she plays up the swearing. And I agree that the obsession with this particular reporter comes off extremely creeepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
OK, but Bernie Sanders is 79 years old. He predates the baby boom generation.
And on the other side of the political spectrum, Trump uses significantly worse language than Bernie Sanders does - if any politician is used to mean 'supporters are cool with bad language', Trump makes more sense as an example than Sanders.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:28 PM

Who cares enough to write nanny notes to the person?

If you find her offensive, why follow her to the point you know what her living arrangements are?
Old 02-11-2020, 08:31 PM

If you're old enough to be on Twitter, you're old enough to see the word "fuck".
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
... Iím not sure thereís a single word class that it doesnít fit.
I was going to reply that it isn't used as a conjunction. But I guess conjunction is its most time-honored usage.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 PM

She's the best source of news about the Hurricanes. She goes to most road games. Local paper stopped covering road games a while back, can't remember when. She tweeted about her roommate so she must not mind people knowing that.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
She's the best source of news about the Hurricanes. She goes to most road games. Local paper stopped covering road games a while back, can't remember when. She tweeted about her roommate so she must not mind people knowing that.
Bolding mine. What exactly are you suggesting here? How is this relevant to your topic of cursing on twitter?

Last edited by kayT; 02-12-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 AM

Have you also called the local police to report that teenagers are dancing?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:43 AM

One of the few accounts my Canes related business follows and I have no problem with her at all.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:11 AM

I think the OP feels the way I did years ago when I saw a commercially produced greeting card for a mistress to send to her married lover. Right there at Walgreens.

I thought, "I know this sort of thing goes on all the time, but now it's sanctioned by business?"
Old 02-12-2020, 06:27 AM

"F word"? Seriously? Which fucking "F" word?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
"F word"? Seriously? Which fucking "F" word?
"Out of all the English words that begin with the letter F 'fuck' is the only work that is referred to as the F-word"
Closed Thread