Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM

Does "MADE IN AMERICA" ever indicate a desirable product outside of the U.S.A.?

If you ask most citizens of the U.S.A. about imported, sometime exotic, consumer goods then certain stereotypes immediately come to mind. German cars are well engineered. Italian cars are exciting and sexy. Japanese cars are reliable and an excellent value for money. Swiss watches have an entirely mythology surrounding their legendary qualities. Chinese goods may give you a bit of cancer but are dirt cheap. The list goes on.

Is the opposite ever true? Does a non-U.S.A. resident ever look at something, see the "MADE IN U.S.A." label and think "Yes, I trust that. I know what I'm getting and it has (desirable trait X).) We ship our pop culture, movies and TV shows around the world and American farmers feed a fair number of people globally but as far as finished, manufactured goods, I'm not really thinking of any.

What say ye of the global Dope community? Do manufacturers in the U.S.A. do anything well?