Old 02-11-2020, 12:10 PM

What was the insult regularly used by the characters in the British series Red Dwarf?

SPOILER:
"Smeghead!"
Old 02-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Off topic, but this is obviously the right place to ask...

I just bought a used copy of The Best of C.M. Kornbluth (1976).

Did I do a good thing, there?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

And thanks to everyone who posted the answers to their trivia questions, especially CalMeacham, who reminded me that The Fabulous World of Jules Verne is a thing. And a thing that I want to watch but had forgotten about.

Can I see the entire thing on YouTube, or anyplace else for free?
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
And thanks to everyone who posted the answers to their trivia questions, especially CalMeacham, who reminded me that The Fabulous World of Jules Verne is a thing. And a thing that I want to watch but had forgotten about.
I didn't realize I was expected to include the answers right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
On the BBC series Blake's 7, the first time Blake referred to the "seven," who were the seven?
SPOILER:
Blake, Avon, Vila, Gan, Jenna, Cally, and Zen (the ship's computer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Another Blake question, although this one is a little easier: of Blake and his crew, all of the men were referred to by their last names, and all of the women by their first (or only) names - with one exception. Who was the exception?
SPOILER:
Vila Restal - the others are, IIRC, (men) Raj Blake, Kerr Avon, Olag Gan, Dev Tarrant, (women) Jenna Stannis, Dayna Mellanby, "just" Cally, and "just" Soolin.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey, I didn’t mean to make anyone feel bad. Take it as a compliment all your questions are so interesting that we want to know the answers.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Off topic, but this is obviously the right place to ask...

I just bought a used copy of The Best of C.M. Kornbluth (1976).

Did I do a good thing, there?
I think so. I've got a copy, myself.

This is part of the "The Best Of..." series that Ballantine Books started circa 1970 with The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum (with intro by Isaac Asimov!) and kept up for the next ten years, continuing on when they changed the brand to Del Rey books. They spotlighted a lot of authors, notably little-known ones like Raymond Z. Gallun, but also well-known ones. I recall when I first came across The Best of Cordwainer Smith, and it blew me away. I had read "Scanners live in Vain" and :"The Ballad of Lost C'mell", but hadn't realized that they were part of a complete "Future History".

After the series lapsed in the early 80s, they rarely reprrinted violumes. When the movie The Last Mimzy came out in 2007 they reprinted The Best of Henry Kuttner, and they also reprinted The Best of Lester Del Rey in a large-format paperback, but I'm not aware of any of the others that have been put back in print -- you have to buy used copies of the old ones. I own all of them now except The Best of Philip K. Dick.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Can I see the entire thing on YouTube, or anyplace else for free?
You can find it on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSl2FekEuaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpV9jZGkZI

I think it's complete.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-11-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It’s a book club edition, publisher credited as Nelson Doubleday, which I think owned Ballantine Books back in the day.

I also have a 70s hardcover of The Best of Henry Kuttner, who’s probably my favorite soft SF/fantasy writer of the mid 20th century.

So, is Kornbluth a good’un? I saw a recommendation for “The March of the Morons,” either here or at some other blog/website where I hang out with you nerds.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Bless your nerd soul!
Old 02-11-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It’s a book club edition, publisher credited as Nelson Doubleday, which I think owned Ballantine Books back in the day.

I also have a 70s hardcover of The Best of Henry Kuttner, who’s probably my favorite soft SF/fantasy writer of the mid 20th century.

So, is Kornbluth a good’un? I saw a recommendation for “The March of the Morons,” either here or at some other blog/website where I hang out with you nerds.
"The Marching Morons" is good. I'm sure that Ed Neuemeier was familiar with it, because he lifted its catchphrase "Would you buy that for a quarter?" and updated it with inflation to "I'd buy that for a dollar!" in his script for RoboCop. I suspect the people who made the film Idiocracy might have known about it, too.

Kornbluth was an impressive writer of short stories, many of them exhibiting his dark wit. (He also co-authored several novels with Frederick Pohl, which I'd recommend, as well).

His "Little Black Bag" is a classic. It's in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, and has been adapted three times for television.

Interesting and very odd guy, who died at the early age of 34. You can read about him here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_M._Kornbluth

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-11-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks, read it. i wouldnt spend a whole five dollars on fiction unless i went to the minimal effort of googling the writer. i am remarkably parsimonious.

Was just curious as to your (and others) take on the guy.

And I’ll start with “Little Black Bag.” Thanx again!

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 02-11-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, read it. i wouldn't spend a whole five dollars on fiction unless i went to the minimal effort of googling the writer. i am remarkably parsimonious.
I'm wrong on a detail -- they reprinted The Best of Cordwainer Smith as The Rediscovery of Man. I hadn't realized that it was the same collection under a different name -- http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?27382

Not to be confused with the NESFA collection called The Rediscovery of Man. The NESFA edition contains all of Smith's Future History stories except for Norstilia (which got its own book -- it's a novel, after all), including the previously unpublished version of "War No. 81-Q" -- http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?36843

The Ballantine/Del Rey/Doubleday version actually only contains about half of the stories. For most of the rest you had to buy the Ballantine/Del Rey/Doubleday book The Instrumentality of Mankind --http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?42105

And you still wouldn't have the three stories in the Ace paperback Quest of the Three Worlds. -- http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?27185

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-11-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

5.) Before they appeared in Star Trek, James Doohan and William Shatner both appeared as regular cast member in what other TV show?

SPOILER:
Both were in the Canadian version of Howdy Doody, which was different from the US production. That show also introduced a magical box that could travel anywhere in space and time, which was probably the origin of the tARDIS.
Amazingly, there's another answer.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I am truly impressed.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:15 PM

Here's a little quiz i made up a few years ago; you're welcome to use any of the questions you like: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...highlight=quiz
Old 02-11-2020, 05:36 PM

Characters in WATCHMEN were replacements for existing comic-book superheroes; Doctor Manhattan swapped in for Captain Atom, and Nite Owl for the Blue Beetle. What character with a doubly-phallic name was the original for Ozymandias?

SPOILER:
Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt
Old 02-11-2020, 06:51 PM

In which Star Trek (original series) episode do we see Sulu in the captain's chair? And why is he there, given that Kirk and Spock are on the bridge at the same time?

SPOILER:
Is There in Truth No Beauty? He's there because Spock, who's been driven temporarily insane, has shoved him him there.

In Lois Lowry's novel The Giver, which character is referred to as a "girl", rather than a "female"?
SPOILER:
Fiona. This only happens once, so it may be just an error on the author's part.

In the film and TV versions of Alien Nation, Detective Francisco uses different first names. They are...
SPOILER:
Sam in the film, George on TV.

From which Hugo Award-winning novelette does the following exchange repeatedly occur:
"You have a purpose."
"Therefore I serve."

SPOILER:
"The Secret Life of Bots", by Suzanne Palmer

Last edited by Dendarii Dame; 02-11-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Somebody post a trivia question about the late Buck Henry’s teevee show Quark (1977).

I don’t know enough about it, just that I’m in love with the Bettys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(TV_series)

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 02-11-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 02-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
3. This major flop was the reason that Hollywood avoided big-budget science fiction films for twenty years. Name the film.
4. What science fiction television show had the greatest number of individual episodes? (And, no, it's not Doctor Who)
4 is Space Patrol with > 1000 episodes (900 are 15 min long). Doctor Who is second I believe.

Brian
Old 02-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
On 3rd Rock from the Sun, when Dick meets the Big Giant Head, they discover that they have an unusual experience in common. What was it?
SPOILER:
They both had journeys disrupted by a strange creature attempting to sabotage the vessel in which they were traveling.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Somebody post a trivia question about the late Buck Henry’s teevee show Quark (1977).

I don’t know enough about it, just that I’m in love with the Bettys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(TV_series)
Richard Benjamin was in Made In America with Whoopi Goldberg, who was in Jumpin' Jack Flash with Stephen Collins, who was in ST: The Movie with William Shatner.

Quark is 3 degrees from Shatner.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
3. This major flop was the reason that Hollywood avoided big-budget science fiction films for twenty years. Name the film.
4. What science fiction television show had the greatest number of individual episodes? (And, no, it's not Doctor Who)
3. Just Imagine an SF/musical featuring the long forgotten El Brendel. The movie had a major budget, but failed miserably (though the sets were reused).

4. Captain Video. It's hard to come up with an episode count, but it ran 5 (and in the first year 6) episodes a week for almost six years. That hits around 1500 episodes, though I have no idea if it went on hiatus in the summer. It was unlikely to have been reruns, given the era.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 02-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendarii Dame View Post
In which Star Trek (original series) episode do we see Sulu in the captain's chair? And why is he there, given that Kirk and Spock are on the bridge at the same time?

SPOILER:
Is There in Truth No Beauty? He's there because Spock, who's been driven temporarily insane, has shoved him him there.
IIRC, he was there in at least one other episode. I think it was "Errand of Mercy" as the Enterprise was returning to Organia to confront the Klingons. Kirk and Spock were both off the ship, and it was a Scotty-less episode.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:21 PM

In the original Star Trek series, Spock is occasionally seen using a hand held computer. What type of computer is it? Bonus question. when was it invented?

SPOILER:
it's an E6B aviation circular slide rule - invented in 1937
Old 02-11-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
On 3rd Rock from the Sun, when Dick meets the Big Giant Head, they discover that they have an unusual experience in common. What was it?
kaylasdad99 answered this, but there's some added context. When the Solomons meet the Big Giant Head, he's just gotten off an airplane. He says that there was a creature on the wing of the plane, and Dick says "the same thing happened to me!"

It's a reference to "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", from The Twilight Zone. William Shatner (the Big Giant Head) was in the original episode, and John Lithgow (Dick Solomon) played the same role in the Twilight Zone movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Yep. AKA Morgan Brittany, who played Pam Ewing's crazy half-sister Katherine Wentworth, who "killed" Bobby Ewing at the end of Season 8. The TZ episode was "Valley of the Shadow."

Very good!
A few years ago I saw an episode of The Twilight Zone (but not "Valley of the Shadow") and something about the little girl must have looked familiar. I looked her up on IMDb and discovered that Suzanne Cupito took the stage name Morgan Brittany when she grew up. I hadn't even known that she acted as a child.

Checking now, she worked pretty steadily from childhood into adulthood. While we're discussing trivia, it looks like she portrayed Vivien Leigh three times. I suppose the similarity is pretty striking.

Hasn't acted since 2007. Was never super famous; kinda surprised anyone else still remembers her.

Quote:
Which one of the Bettys is the clone?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 PM

Miramanee's Amerindians aside, what is the connection between Star Trek and the 1937 classic Lost Horizon?

By my count, 13 actors (male and female) guest starred on both Star Trek: TOS and the original Lost in Space. Name at least five of them.

By my count, 26 actors (male and female) guest starred on both Star Trek: TOS and Adam West's Batman, mostly as villains and villainesses. Name at least ten of them.

Two of the guest stars on the original Lost in Space would go on to star in one of the most popular shows of the '80s. Name them.

(Answers will be given below tomorrow.)
Old 02-11-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
In the original Star Trek series, Spock is occasionally seen using a hand held computer. What type of computer is it? Bonus question. when was it invented?

SPOILER:
it's an E6B aviation circular slide rule - invented in 1937
I knew the answer to this before I saw the spoiler. IIRC, they were (probably still are) used to calculate air- and groundspeed. I always told myself the technology of the 23rd century had just developed something similar for calculating matter/anti-matter ratios and such.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 PM

TOS sets like Enterprise corridors and the courtyard on Cestus III often turned up in what other Desilu series of the period?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
By my count, 26 actors (male and female) guest starred on both Star Trek: TOS and Adam West's Batman, mostly as villains and villainesses. Name at least ten of them.
Frank Gorshin
Julie Newmar
Lee Merriwether (if we're counting the Batman movie)
Sherry Jackson
Yvonne Craig

I may think of more, but some of them would be guesses.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Frank Gorshin
Julie Newmar
Lee Merriwether (if we're counting the Batman movie)
Sherry Jackson
Yvonne Craig

I may think of more, but some of them would be guesses.
Very good. Lee was in both the movie and the series as different characters, only one of which was evil (Catwoman). In the other (a King Tut episode), she was a girlfriend of Bruce Wayne.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
A really hard one: What is the SF connection between Mr Ed, Star Trek, and Family Affair?
Horse Cock?
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Horse Cock?
The answer was given on Page 1.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Very good. Lee was in both the movie and the series as different characters, only one of which was evil (Catwoman). In the other (a King Tut episode), she was a girlfriend of Bruce Wayne.
Was Ted Cassidy ever on Batman? I can vaguely remember B&R climbing a wall and Lurch sticking his head out a window to chat with them.

ETA: And since I'm guessing, Ted Gehring?

Last edited by Robot Arm; 02-11-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Horse Cock?
That's your answer to everything.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Was Ted Cassidy ever on Batman? I can vaguely remember B&R climbing a wall and Lurch sticking his head out a window to chat with them.

ETA: And since I'm guessing, Ted Gehring?
Cassidy is on the list, but I don't see Gehring.

Keep going....
Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Cassidy is on the list, but I don't see Gehring.

Keep going....
Malachi Throne!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
Malachi Throne!
Good!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 AM

Correction: 27 familiar actors guest starred on both TOS and Batman.

I'll give you a clue: Not all of them had speaking roles.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:51 AM

What was the name of the government council of Phools?
SPOILER:
The Plenum Moronicum from Memoirs of a Space Traveler by Stanislaw Lem
Old 02-12-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Correction: 27 familiar actors guest starred on both TOS and Batman.

I'll give you a clue: Not all of them had speaking roles.
... And one more brings the total to 28. If you can find more, my hat's off to you.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which one of the Bettys is the clone?
Each points to the other. Simultaneously, they both say, "She is!"
Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Each points to the other. Simultaneously, they both say, "She is!"
And they do it adorably.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:05 PM

And here are the answers....

Quote:
Miramanee's Amerindians aside, what is the connection between Star Trek and the 1937 classic Lost Horizon?
A very young Jane "Amanda" Wyatt was one of the inhabitants of Shangri-La. I mention Miramanee because, according to Memory Alpha, Kirk compares her village to Shangri-La in "The Paradise Syndrome' and I didn't want to sidetrack anyone.

Quote:
By my count, 13 actors (male and female) guest starred on both Star Trek: TOS and the original Lost in Space. Name at least five of them.
The complete list, according to IMDb, is:

Stanley Adams
Michael Ansara
Michael J Pollard
Liam Sullivan
Malachi Throne

John Crawford
Ted Cassidy
Sherry Jackson
Bart LaRue
Arthur Batanides

Charles Dierkop
Janos Prohaska

I shouldn't have counted the thirteenth name, since he was in ST VI, and not TOS, but I'll give it anyway: Robert Easton. My mistake.

Quote:
Final count, 29:

Frank Gorshin
Malachi Throne
Ted Cassidy
Yvonne Craig
Lee Meriwether

Sherry Jackson
Julie Newmar
Joan Collins
Meg Wylie
Angelique Pettyjohn

Roger C Carmel
Alyce Andrece
Rhae Andrece
Leslie Parrish
Nancy Kovack

Theodore Marcuse
John Crawford
Marianna Hill
Grace Lee Whitney
Teri Garr

Michael Pataki
Stanley Adams
Sid Haig
Elisha Cook, Jr
Charles Dierkop

Laurence Montaigne
Lloyd Haynes
Gene Dynarski
Billy Curtis

I'll add one more, not from TOS but from ST V: Bill Quinn.

Quote:
Two of the guest stars on the original Lost in Space would go on to star in one of the most popular shows of the '80s. Name them.
You'd have to be a real die-hard LiS fan to get this one: Daniel J Travanti and Michael Conrad, "Frank Furillo" and "Phil Esterhaus" on Hill Street Blues.

That's all, folks!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

H.G. Wells' stories and Jules Verne's don't overlap all that much. Wells wrote about a Time Machine, Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. But there were two sets of novels in which each of them covered the same science fiction idea, in their very different ways. One was "The Trip to the Moon" -- Jules Verne is From the Earth to the Moon (and its sequel, Around the Moon) and Wells in The First Men in the Moon.

What is the other science fiction trope they both wrote a novel about?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
That's your answer to everything.
Hey, they offer me free beer, I'm there.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
That was...interesting to see...but overall pretty awful.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
H.G. Wells' stories and Jules Verne's don't overlap all that much. Wells wrote about a Time Machine, Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. But there were two sets of novels in which each of them covered the same science fiction idea, in their very different ways. One was "The Trip to the Moon" -- Jules Verne is From the Earth to the Moon (and its sequel, Around the Moon) and Wells in The First Men in the Moon.
Genius take on Verne vs. Wells (bonus! It’s a comic!):

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=231
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, they offer me free beer, I'm there.
That's MY answer to everything.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Final count, 29:

Frank Gorshin
Malachi Throne
Ted Cassidy
Yvonne Craig
Lee Meriwether

Sherry Jackson
Julie Newmar
Joan Collins
Meg Wylie
Angelique Pettyjohn

Roger C Carmel
Alyce Andrece
Rhae Andrece
Leslie Parrish
Nancy Kovack

Theodore Marcuse
John Crawford
Marianna Hill
Grace Lee Whitney
Teri Garr

Michael Pataki
Stanley Adams
Sid Haig
Elisha Cook, Jr
Charles Dierkop

Laurence Montaigne
Lloyd Haynes
Gene Dynarski
Billy Curtis
The Riddler’s henchman Whitey — who took point on kidnapping King Boris, and who had the right height and build to masquerade as Batman after personally springing the end-of-episode trap on our heroes, and who fared better than the Riddler in the final fight scene, and so why the heck is he the henchman while the guy who leaves clues is the boss? — was played by Roy Jenson, who’s also been seen ritualistically pledging allegiance to the flag as Yang chief Cloud William: Guardian of the Holies, Speaker of the Holy Words, Leader of Warriors, and All That Stuff.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
why the heck is he the henchman while the guy who leaves clues is the boss? .
He knows the rules.