Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
What the hell does Bernie Sanders have to do with anything? Are you even trying to make sense?
He's conflating age with political alignment. Admittedly there is a correlation, particularly when you focus on the sort of ancientness that includes being out of touch with the development of language use over the past forty years.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:55 PM

@ OP — I don't know if you set higher standards for females, but Lily Allen is a rather popular female singer. I don't know if she uses Twitter, but she and her producers have e-mail.

I think you should set your sights higher than a minor sportscaster.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Hell, nine years ago Cee Lo Green hit #2 on the Billboard charts with Fuck You, which is, imho, a fantastic song.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Not concerned about it , just wondering what other people think. I should note that she tweets all kinds of stuff not related to her job. Some people have a personal twitter and one for their job, she only has 1 twitter account.
Couldn’t possibly be less bothered.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care. I would be surprised if he doesn't follow her on twitter. I think her boss is in Charlotte and she's in Raleigh. Also it was interesting a few weeks back she said she has a roommate, not too surprising since I would think her pay is pretty low. Her roommate works for the Canes doing promotions at the home games. this is her roommate , she also does other sports jobs.

https://www.abbylabar.com/
This, on the other hand, bothers me. Dude....
Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Yeah, it seems creepy how you say you aren't bothered by it, but you want to know if her boss knows, and also that you are connecting this discussion to the fact that you know she has a roommate, and you know who it is, and what her job and her Twitter account is. At best, you seem weirdly paternalistic toward her.

If you are bothered by it, it is perfectly ok to tell her that. I would suggest something like, "Hi. I'm a fan of your sportscasting, and have been following you on Twitter. I'm bothered by your use of the F-word, and the fact that it is on your page. I just thought you might want to know. I will/will not (you choose) be continuing to follow you."

If you aren't bothered by it, but you're just surprised, it makes perfect sense to have a thread about that here, but seems very odd to make a point of asking if her boss knows. It almost sounds like you're threatening to tell on her, or as I said, being paternalistic.

And I think gathering personal tidbits about someone from their tweets and listing them out as personal knowledge about them is the sort of thing that can make women feel wary about how the internet treats women.

Last edited by eschrodinger; 02-12-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM

She's a hockey writer who writes for The Athletic. Neither hockey fans nor The Athletic subscribers (I am one) care about someone using the word fuck. It appears in stories as well.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

OP, I think your interest in this reporter is more concerning than the appearance of a swear word on her Twitter page.

Besides which, I don't see how this particular Twitter account is owned, run, controlled, supervised, or anything by her employer. Tons of people have Twitter accounts that mention their jobs, have commentary on work-related stuff, and mix in personal inanities that have nothing to do with work. See, for example, her questions about whether she should buy adult-flavored oatmeal. Or about the Star Wars cantina band getting stuck in her head.

It isn't her work email. Just leave her alone.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
OP, I think your interest in this reporter is more concerning than the appearance of a swear word on her Twitter page.

Besides which, I don't see how this particular Twitter account is owned, run, controlled, supervised, or anything by her employer. Tons of people have Twitter accounts that mention their jobs, have commentary on work-related stuff, and mix in personal inanities that have nothing to do with work. See, for example, her questions about whether she should buy adult-flavored oatmeal. Or about the Star Wars cantina band getting stuck in her head.

Yes, but ... my employers have always stressed that if my social media audience knows I am affiliated with the employer then they expect me to adhere to workplace standards (at least not embarrass them), especially if I also use that account for work/professional purposes.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:13 PM

I forgot to mention the threesome I had with her and her roommate last week.

BTW, I don't care what people say about me on this site. Say nice things, bad things, etc. does not matter to me.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:

BTW, I don't care what people say about me on this site. Say nice things, bad things, etc. does not matter to me.
That is a good way to go through life.

You ancient person you.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 PM

I care what friends and relatives say about me. But I am pretty sure none of them post here.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I care what friends and relatives say about me. But I am pretty sure none of them post here.
Again, more power too you.

Seriously, you don't have to convince me. You shouldn't care what I think about whether you care what I think about you.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Oh, you might also want to stay away from the twitter account of Paul Bissonnette, the color analyst for the Arizona Coyotes radio.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
He's conflating age with political alignment. Admittedly there is a correlation, particularly when you focus on the sort of ancientness that includes being out of touch with the development of language use over the past forty years.
OK, but Bernie Sanders is 79 years old. He predates the baby boom generation.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 PM

I don't really get why a person who works at a sports writing job that drops 'fucks' into articles having a 'fuck' on their home page would be a big deal. Clearly it's part of their brand, and like other people have said it's likely she plays up the swearing. And I agree that the obsession with this particular reporter comes off extremely creeepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
OK, but Bernie Sanders is 79 years old. He predates the baby boom generation.
And on the other side of the political spectrum, Trump uses significantly worse language than Bernie Sanders does - if any politician is used to mean 'supporters are cool with bad language', Trump makes more sense as an example than Sanders.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Yes, but ... my employers have always stressed that if my social media audience knows I am affiliated with the employer then they expect me to adhere to workplace standards (at least not embarrass them), especially if I also use that account for work/professional purposes.
Sure, if your employer told you, that’s a matter between you and your employer.

What is bizarre is for your social media friends - or even non-friends - to question whether your boss is okay with something you wrote.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 PM

It doesn't impress me very positively, but I'm a half a century older than she is. Given my perception of her age cohort that follows her, I'm inclined to think it is a good career move. Nothing bad appears to have followed, and she did get attention, which is now the coin of the realm..
Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 PM

I'm with the OP. I think it shows an incredible lack of class and is disrespectful to the fans of the team, especially the young kids.

I'm certainly not a prude. I'll use that language in private settings with friends and in my personal capacity when dealing with people who are not offended by it (such as on the SDMB).

But I think it shows a general degradation of society in general when that sort of language is out there for all and sundry in a professional context.

Further, the criticism in this thread seems absolute as if using that language is acceptable in all circumstances. If there is a limiting principle from many of the arguments, I don't see it.

If I am giving a presentation in front of a room full of people and am running ten minutes late because of the weather, I don't think anyone here would defend me if I rushed into the room with 80 people waiting, shaking rain off of me while stating "Fuck me like a whore on rent day, it sure is pretty goddamn wet out there."

So what is the standard? That it is social media instead of in person?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Further, the criticism in this thread seems absolute as if using that language is acceptable in all circumstances. If there is a limiting principle from many of the arguments, I don't see it.
Ahem. Me, in post #23:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
All depends on context and placement. An F bomb in front of kindergartners is a different thing than an F bomb on your Twitter account, where 99% of your followers are adult sports fans.
Or, "know your audience."
Old 02-13-2020, 05:14 AM

I for one don't think the OP did anything wrong. Informing her of the potential issue is perfectly fine. I might have worded it differently, but it's not a big deal. There is a potential issue there with potential customers getting offended, and thus the boss might care.

I agree the word isn't that bad, but it still has a reason to be forbidden--so that kids have something they can say to be a bit rebellious. It's a lot better than the 13 year olds who think they're being edgy by saying the n-word.

It's good for society to have some minor taboos that aren't actually that bad when broken. Not only for kids being rebellious, but so we also so we can express ourselves. "This is so bad, I'm willing ot break this taboo" is useful communication.

Plus apparently saying actual curse words while being hurt alleviate pain more than other words. So it's good to keep them around.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
If I am giving a presentation in front of a room full of people and am running ten minutes late because of the weather, I don't think anyone here would defend me if I rushed into the room with 80 people waiting, shaking rain off of me while stating "Fuck me like a whore on rent day, it sure is pretty goddamn wet out there."
Were I in your audience, I might later point out to you that "whore" has been replaced in polite society with "sex worker". Other than that, meh.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I agree the word isn't that bad, but it still has a reason to be forbidden--so that kids have something they can say to be a bit rebellious.
That is a fucking stupid reason for making a word taboo.
Quote:
It's a lot better than the 13 year olds who think they're being edgy by saying the n-word.
There's a lot of air between saying "fuck" and being a little racist. Like, a whole fuckload of air.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but ... my employers have always stressed that if my social media audience knows I am affiliated with the employer then they expect me to adhere to workplace standards
I don't know what you do, but her workplace is hockey games and wherever she writes the articles.

Quote:
But I think it shows a general degradation of society in general when that sort of language is out there for all and sundry in a professional context.
Never understood why when a single person does something that someone doesn't like, they mumble about society.

Quote:
Further, the criticism in this thread seems absolute as if using that language is acceptable in all circumstances.
I'm getting more of a 'know your audience'/'this is her audience' vibe here.

Quote:
Maybe not. If those 80 people were waiting to see Jeff Ross and he walked in and said that, they'd laugh.
Unless you're a sportswriter, I'm not sure that comparison has anything to do with anything.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

The word gets printed in newspapers, FFS. Maybe not in headlines. But it's right there in the Washington Post if you search.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care.
Really? My guess would be that she didn't reply because its weird as fuck that somebody is contacting her about it.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Really? My guess would be that she didn't reply because its weird as fuck that somebody is contacting her about it.
Weird as fuck, and with the roommate comments, creepy as fuck.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I asked her what her boss thought about it. I guess since she did not reply I assume he doesn't know or doesn't care. I would be surprised if he doesn't follow her on twitter. I think her boss is in Charlotte and she's in Raleigh. Also it was interesting a few weeks back she said she has a roommate, not too surprising since I would think her pay is pretty low. Her roommate works for the Canes doing promotions at the home games. this is her roommate , she also does other sports jobs.

https://www.abbylabar.com/
Giving off a bit of a creepy vibe.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I for one don't think the OP did anything wrong. Informing her of the potential issue is perfectly fine.
Asking a stranger what her boss thinks of her behavior is creepy.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I agree, the roommate thing is creepy as hell. And the question about whether her boss knows about it is something I would assume is an implied threat to go over her head to inform the boss about it.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:03 AM

I may have to go buy some pearls so I can clutch them. Mark me down for the "not a big deal in that context, but not appropriate in other contexts" group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
@ OP — I don't know if you set higher standards for females, but Lily Allen is a rather popular female singer.
That's debatable (the "rather popular" part and, if you're in a snarky mood, the "singer" part. I'm pretty sure she's female unless I've missed a memo).
Old 02-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
F-bombs bother you, but you don't mind posting misogynistic sexual comments on a public forum?

This is an excellent example of the type of boy's-locker-room style comments that we are trying to get rid of around here. Please do not post anything like this again.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
So you think that a sports reporter dropping F-bombs when her fans like that kind of language shows 'a general degradation of society' from the good 'ol day when people would line up to shout racial slurs and death threats at a six-year old child daring to go to a white school?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm certainly not a prude. I'll use that language in private settings with friends and in my personal capacity when dealing with people who are not offended by it (such as on the SDMB).

Pssst.... you're a member of a message board that has a moderator sticky attached to the top of one forum that is literally titled, "Listen up, motherfuckers!" Talk about society being degraded! Someone should tell TPTB what that mod has been up to!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
So you think that a sports reporter dropping F-bombs when her fans like that kind of language shows 'a general degradation of society' from the good 'ol day when people would line up to shout racial slurs and death threats at a six-year old child daring to go to a white school?
I'll be surprised if you ever get UV to acknowledge the realities of the 1950s.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:27 AM

OP is being quite sexist. You would never do this to a male sportscaster. Are you going to tell her to smile, too?

Finding it jarring that she used the word is one thing. Do you not see how weird your response was?
Old 02-13-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Okay, so what? Not everyone falls under the same circumstances. Are you upset your work place doesn't allow you to curse while representing them? Tough nuggets - neither does mine. The fact she does doesn't ruffle my feathers, nor should it yours.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 PM

Remember when I said I don't care what people say about me on here? That includes the moderators.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

You could just admit the world has passed you by, you know.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Remember when I said I don't care what people say about me on here? That includes the moderators.
Oh, I see. This isn't a reasonable person recognizing that they shouldn't be unduly influenced by the whims of others. This is a person bound and determined not to change even if they happen to be terrible.

That's less admirable.

And yes, I know, you don't aspire to be admirable.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Okay, so what? Not everyone falls under the same circumstances. Are you upset your work place doesn't allow you to curse while representing them? Tough nuggets - neither does mine. The fact she does doesn't ruffle my feathers, nor should it yours.
I was responding to Ravenman's statement:

Quote:

My point is that one cannot assume that all employers will ignore content posted to a Twitter account not owned, run, controlled, supervised, etc., by the employer.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
I'm certainly not a prude.
You and I clearly have very different concepts of what a prude is.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"You can say anything you want about me, but I'm not going to stand idly by and let an obscure journalist use the F-bomb on her twitter page!"
Old 02-13-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My point is that one cannot assume that all employers will ignore content posted to a Twitter account not owned, run, controlled, supervised, etc., by the employer.
And I was responding to the comparison to her Twitter page being like a work email address.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
You and I clearly have very different concepts of what a prude is.
It's like a dry shriveled-up plum, right?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM

I'm so upset by all these comments I feel I have no choice but to drink some skim milk. Or maybe 1%.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
It was OK, they were well dressed and wearing hats!

(That would be a Starving Artist reference for you youngins!)
CMC fnord!
Old 02-13-2020, 05:15 PM

Let me know when she calls someone a cunt.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM

She's been called a cunt by some Canadians.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
She's been called a cunt by some Canadians.
I see how that's an argument for thinking that all of Canada is terrible, but it doesn't really reflect on her personally.
Closed Thread