Old 08-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I definitely wish we could all agree that a season is no less than 10 hours of material.
Damn brits with their six epi "seasons".
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 PM

I had no knowledge of this series or the comics it was based on until this thread appeared. Many thanks to the OP for the introduction.

I watched one episode per night (I am not a binger). I thought episode four was the best one, as it contained the aforementioned dolphin scene – best in the whole series, imo - and the cheaply done, yet harrowingly effective (if slightly prolonged) Flight 37 sequence.

The main issue I had with the series is that I did not find most of the main characters sympathetic. I particularly disliked Hugh for being a consistently lying prick. I also thought his character was underwritten in terms of making his motivations clear, and that the actor failed to make him appealing.

For me, Frenchy was the best character because he had the most humanity. The Female and Starlight (after she starts understanding what she has gotten herself into) were also okay. Butcher was pretty much a one-note hardass and The Seven seemed too obviously based on DC heroes. I would have preferred more original, or at least, less well-known superhero characters (a la Watchmen). I think Elizabeth Shue was miscast in her role, but she ended up doing a decent job. Her acting in the climax of episode 8 - the bit where she meets her fate - was especially good.

Notwithstanding the show’s budgetary limitations (e.g., repeatedly using sound efx in place of visual efx to establish Homelander’s arrival), jagged editing, needless religious angle and anything else critical I have written (or might have written), the show sustained my interest, even though overall, I didn’t think it was really all that good.

I will certainly be watching season two.

Last edited by Dropo; 08-05-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropo View Post
..... I would have preferred more original, or at least, less well-known superhero characters (a la Watchmen). ....
Watchmen were hardly original, they were mostly all spoofs of DC or Charlton characters again, Owlman being Batman or Blue Beetle, Rorschach was The Question, Oxymanius =Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, Silk=Phantom Lady . The whole idea is that they werent original. But yes, more obscure.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Just finished this last night and generally liked it, but I think I more liked the concept than some of the particulars of how it was executed.

Pros:
- Watchmen-esque take on superheroes
- lots of great social commentary
- does a good job of portraying that our world with superheroes would actually be pretty fucked up

Cons:
SPOILER:

- sometimes the supes looked pretty damn cheesy
- watching "our heroes" agonize over how best to torture/murder their caged captive whose worst trait seemed to consist of being a perv (reprehensible, but nowhere near the sins of the rest of the Seven and hardly execution-worthy) lost them a lot of empathy, and that was just episode 2!
- the ending felt like it came out of nowhere and I'm not sure it made much sense. No, I wasn't surprised the kid was still alive, but the whole Billy/Becca/Homelander story seems full of holes now and how the fuck did Billy even survive that explosion, much less without a scratch, unless Homelander suddenly has truly god-like powers, pretty much in direct contravention of what they spent the whole season establishing?
- the normals seem just about as fucked up as the supes, so I guess it's just a big fucked up world anyway you look at it?

Yeah, I get it, grim/dark, and I like me some grim/dark, but relentless grim/dark is just a bit much. I'd prefer if they pulled it back from the (suicidal) edge a bit.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 PM

I think you're looking at Translucence in the most favorable light possible.

He's a peeping tom. He's got invulnerable skin. He goes around beating up or killing people who sell counterfeit 7 goods. That's just what we know (and off the top of my head). Plus, he's in on the whole scam, and whole-heartedly. He LOVES being a member of the most popular, most powerful group on the planet. Given his proclivities that we know, I don't see any reason to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything else.

Wasn't it Translucence that A-Train was talking to about A-Train killing Robin, and then laughing about her death?
Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 PM

I'm fairly sure you're right about the conversation with A-Train and I'm guessing probably right about the other parts (I have to admit I found the first episode a bit weak, so didn't pay as much attention), but I don't think it changes the feelings about that situation too much. It was more about the "good guys", who we've just started to get to know, showing a very similar level of callousness as the "evil guys" they are fighting. It's not entirely unearned or undeserved, but it killed a lot of my sympathy for those characters and their particular style of vigilantism early.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
He's got invulnerable skin.
I didn't think this part was adequately covered. Are his eyes invulnerable? What about poison eye drops? Are his sinuses invulnerable? Stick an ice pick up his nose. Is it only his actual skin that is invulnerable?
Old 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
I'm fairly sure you're right about the conversation with A-Train and I'm guessing probably right about the other parts (I have to admit I found the first episode a bit weak, so didn't pay as much attention), but I don't think it changes the feelings about that situation too much. It was more about the "good guys", who we've just started to get to know, showing a very similar level of callousness as the "evil guys" they are fighting. It's not entirely unearned or undeserved, but it killed a lot of my sympathy for those characters and their particular style of vigilantism early.
I was fine with it, maybe because I very consciously identify with the humes not the supes. But I get what you're saying; I don't think you're making an invalid point about how it affected your empathy with the Boys.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-06-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I didn't think this part was adequately covered. Are his eyes invulnerable? What about poison eye drops? Are his sinuses invulnerable? Stick an ice pick up his nose. Is it only his actual skin that is invulnerable?
Seems to be only his outer skin; that's why they were able to blow him up via suppository.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Seems to be only his outer skin; that's why they were able to blow him up via suppository.
It seems to me that they would have asked themselves at the beginning "Where doesn't he have skin?"

That's one of the few things that annoyed me about the series, but it was still enjoyable to watch. Can't wait for season 2.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duality72 View Post
Quote:
It seems to me that they would have asked themselves at the beginning "Where doesn't he have skin?"

That's one of the few things that annoyed me about the series, but it was still enjoyable to watch. Can't wait for season 2.
I think the point is that there were no good guys. Starlight is probably the only real good guy, with Hughie coming in a distant second. This is about bad people taking down worse people.

As for Translucence, I think they had to go very, very deep to get that bomb to work. And while I know they were going for effect, it shouldn't have blown him up like it did, instead just destroyed his insides. His skin should have held him mostly intact and he shouldn't have sprayed everywhere. But expecting consistency in a superhero universe is a fool's errand.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:11 PM

Gotta have the big bang! or people don't fully grok what happened. Like having those huge, loud explosions in space. Or lasers that go pewpew.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
No doubt. In the first episode he drops a plane carrying a Governor, his young son and the plane crew, murdering all of them.
Heck, the first time we meet him he causally murdered a bank robber by throwing him up in the air.

I had initially resisted watching this because I am tired of Superheroes being deconstructed. Everyone knows it is much more likely a guy with Superman's powers would probably take over the world but when the real world sucks I want the fantasy that he doesn't. That he's good. But a friend suggested we try the first episode and I had to admit I was hooked. I watched the whole season over the next few days. I enjoyed it and curious to see where it goes.

FYI if you enjoyed this story I would suggest you seek out the comic series Irredeemable. It's about a Supermanesque hero who essentially goes insane. It also has a companion series called Incorruptible about a Super villain who gains a conscience and turns good.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:

My thought was, "Okay, sure, his skin may be impenetrable, but it's still flexible, right? So just drop a giant weight on him."

Plus, I also got a personal chuckle out of Butcher's line about how stupid Translucent was, " 'Translucent" doesn't mean 'invisible', you moron!" I dealt with exactly that issue last year, when I was setting an exam. I had no idea how many people there are who don't understand the difference between "transparent" and "translucent".
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Aye; I loved that line!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Watchmen were hardly original, they were mostly all spoofs of DC or Charlton characters again, Owlman being Batman or Blue Beetle, Rorschach was The Question, Oxymanius =Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt, Silk=Phantom Lady . The whole idea is that they werent original. But yes, more obscure.
They were straight up the Charlton characters. Moore originally wrote the story for the Charlton characters but changed them slightly when DC balked at letting them go so dark.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Heck, the first time we meet him he causally murdered a bank robber by throwing him up in the air.
Not knowing anything prior to viewing, my first thought when Homelander did that was, "He just killed him?!?!" Then I thought, "Superhero universe physics", where seemingly fatal falls, injuries, etc. can be survived. By the end of the episode I was simply, "He killed the robber."
Old 08-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I think the point is that there were no good guys. Starlight is probably the only real good guy, with Hughie coming in a distant second. This is about bad people taking down worse people.
Oh, for sure. I guess I'm just more used to these types of stories having the good/bad guys doing things that good guys wouldn't do, but not resorting to full-on evil (except maybe as a last resort in the final act). Like killing a bad guy in the heat of battle because it needs doing is one thing; killing him after he's been neutralized and locked up is quite another.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I don't disagree, but as Translucent said, there wasn't really a choice. Homelander takes attacks on heroes very seriously...fatally seriously.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 PM

OK, a simple physics question here. When A-Train ran into Hughie's girlfriend, killing her in the process, shouldn't he at least gotten some damage to. You shoot a person with a bullet and the bullet gets seriously damaged (except in Dallas, of course). No invulnerability as issue as A-Train has been injured.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 PM

That's just fysics™. Fiction + physics = fysics™.

Srsly, you're right. Even if his suit and glasses were super-duper-strength materials to resist impacts as he runs, he has quite a bit of exposed skin that should be permanently bruised, if just from bugs and debris in the air.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-07-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
OK, a simple physics question here. When A-Train ran into Hughie's girlfriend, killing her in the process, shouldn't he at least gotten some damage to. You shoot a person with a bullet and the bullet gets seriously damaged (except in Dallas, of course). No invulnerability as issue as A-Train has been injured.
You can’t really be a speeding superhero unless one of your powers is invulnerability from the effects of speeding.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 AM

The other thing I didn't like about that girlfriend-getting-turned-into-a-mist scene, is that everyone made a big deal that she had one foot off the curb. As if that was the law or something - if you are off the sidewalk, you are fair game to get misted by a superhero. Don't people cross streets in that universe? Does A-Train stop at crosswalks?
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The other thing I didn't like about that girlfriend-getting-turned-into-a-mist scene, is that everyone made a big deal that she had one foot off the curb. As if that was the law or something - if you are off the sidewalk, you are fair game to get misted by a superhero. Don't people cross streets in that universe? Does A-Train stop at crosswalks?
You are supposed to be outraged by that. It was meant to be a bullshit excuse.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Media coverage, controlled by Vought, was trying to convince the public the deceased girlfriend was in the middle of the street, to partially absolve A-Train. That was part of Wee Hughie's ("Stop calling me that. I'm 6 feet tall!") issue which made him recruitable by The Boys.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Translucent came after them, and once that happened he had to die. It's not about what evil he personally did, he was onto them and if he got away they were all fucked.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Overall, I thought this was pretty damn great, but there's one thing I think they fumbled: the whole Compound V-conspiracy. So, the CIA has no inkling at all, but somehow, Starlight's parents knew it was an option to get her suped up? So, are all parents of Supes in on it, and nobody's ever spilled anything?

I mean, the origin of Supes has got to be the most well-studied thing in this universe, both from a scientific as well as an intelligence angle. I doubt the spooks would just run with the 'chosen by god'-angle. Yet, nobody ever suspects anything regarding the corporation that apparently makes all of its money with Supe marketing, but still somehow some parents just know that you can call up Vought and they'll supe up your kid?

That kinda took me out of this. Still, overall, that's a fairly minor complaint.

Oh, and one even smaller complaint: what was up with Homelander's blanket? Why was it apparently included with the material shipped out to shoot his fake childhood reminiscence, if it wasn't to be used?

Last edited by Half Man Half Wit; 08-11-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Overall, I thought this was pretty damn great, but there's one thing I think they fumbled: the whole Compound V-conspiracy. So, the CIA has no inkling at all, but somehow, Starlight's parents knew it was an option to get her suped up? So, are all parents of Supes in on it, and nobody's ever spilled anything?

I mean, the origin of Supes has got to be the most well-studied thing in this universe, both from a scientific as well as an intelligence angle. I doubt the spooks would just run with the 'chosen by god'-angle. Yet, nobody ever suspects anything regarding the corporation that apparently makes all of its money with Supe marketing, but still somehow some parents just know that you can call up Vought and they'll supe up your kid?

That kinda took me out of this. Still, overall, that's a fairly minor complaint.
For comparison, in the books, the Boys know about Compound V and they use it themselves to have a fighting chance against the Supes.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh, and one even smaller complaint: what was up with Homelander's blanket? Why was it apparently included with the material shipped out to shoot his fake childhood reminiscence, if it wasn't to be used?
My guess, not based at all on my very limited knowledge of the source material, is that someone is manipulating Homelander to go over the edge (more than he already is). It might even have been Elizabeth Shue's character, though if it was, it didn't work out well for her.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

The one I didn’t get was Drakkar Noir. What was his superpower supposed to be, intimidating people into letting him play their pianos?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The one I didn’t get was Drakkar Noir. What was his superpower supposed to be, intimidating people into letting him play their pianos?
The show didn't say. All you saw was when he fought The Female. Saying anything more would be a spoiler. Mrs. D_Odds and I chuckled at his name of "Black Black", though I like yours even better.

ETA: Drakkar Noir seemed to be the only one Homelander respects of The Seven. He never talked down to him, tried to intimidate him, and when dressing down the others, Homelander paid Black Noir a compliment.

Last edited by D_Odds; 08-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
The way I remember it, it was marked DO NOT USE after he freaked out about it.

But yeah, I'm still not clear on it. He hates "re"-creating an idyllic childhood that he never actually had — which I get — but why is the blanket so much larger a trigger than anything else?

Maybe it really was his blanket from when he was growing up in the lab?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayuga View Post
The way I remember it, it was marked DO NOT USE after he freaked out about it.

But yeah, I'm still not clear on it. He hates "re"-creating an idyllic childhood that he never actually had — which I get — but why is the blanket so much larger a trigger than anything else?

Maybe it really was his blanket from when he was growing up in the lab?
I'm pretty sure they showed the blanket in a flashback to the lab.

As to Black Noir, thus far he seems to subtle comic relief. He makes people nervous.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

The blanket was the one thing that was from his real past and not the past that Vought invented for him.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM

I just finished, was fantastic. The final scene actually shocked me. I thought maybe the kid survived, but I didn't think Bucher's wife did (or that they would keep her alive - though I guess since the doctor did say Homelander not being with a loving family was his biggest mistake...).

As for 8 episodes. I'm perfectly fine with it. The pacing was really well done and I don't know if adding 2 more episodes would have messed it up. Also with streaming shows getting canceled left and right these days for cost/subscriber ratio, I'm ok with a show cutting costs by doing less episodes a season which may lead to more seasons overall.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Translucent came after them, and once that happened he had to die. It's not about what evil he personally did, he was onto them and if he got away they were all fucked.
Yup. As I understand it:

1) Translucent came to Hugh's shop and started beating him up.
2) It seems like Butcher saved Hugh's life by ramming a car into him.
3) Translucent starts winning the fight, brutally, and it sure looks like he's gonna kill Hugh and Butcher. Hugh's already seen a supe kill a human, so he's thinking that's gonna happen.
4) Hugh tries to kill Translucent to save his own life, but just knocks him out.
5) As soon as Translucent wakes up in the cage, he starts screaming about how as soon as he gets out they're all dead.
6) Hugh still plans to let him go, but sees that poster about "Keep your hands clean," decides in a rage that he's a coward, and pulls the trigger.

That scene is mirrored in the final episode, when he decides to save A-Train's life, despite having even more reason to kill him. He's decided to take a path different from Butcher's. It's a great scene of growth.

Great series. But there's one big problem with it, that I see. Women's bodies keep getting violated by supervillains in order to motivate the protagonists.

Hugh's motivation? His girlfriend is killed by a supe.
Butcher's motivation? His wife is raped and murdered by a supe.
Annie's motivation? She's raped by a supe.

They lean really heavily into the Women in Refrigerators cliche. In all those cases, I think the story would've been a helluva lot more interesting if they'd just switched one or both genders.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Great series. But there's one big problem with it, that I see. Women's bodies keep getting violated by supervillains in order to motivate the protagonists.

They lean really heavily into the Women in Refrigerators cliche. In all those cases, I think the story would've been a helluva lot more interesting if they'd just switched one or both genders.
They’ve improved a little bit over the source material, which is just so bathed in misogyny, racism, and homophobia that I’m actually impressed that they produced something that is only this much problematic.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
They’ve improved a little bit over the source material, which is just so bathed in misogyny, racism, and homophobia that I’m actually impressed that they produced something that is only this much problematic.
Yay?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

I agree. Although I'll argue that's not Annie's motivation? Yes, although she's raped by a supe. Her motivation is she wants to be a hero. She even says it in the series, that the only thing people pickup about her speech is the rape. But the speech itself is about more than that. It's about trying to be a good person, even if it's outside of the Christian lifestyle.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yay?
I know, right?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM

I will also say that while that's the motivation for Butcher and Hugh, it's not for any other of "The Boys" or the CIA agents. It's just something that sort of ties Butcher and Hugh together... where Hugh can move forward from it, but Butcher can't. Mother's Milk, Frenchie, the CIA woman who recruits Butcher (Marjory?) have different reasons.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moojja View Post
I agree. Although I'll argue that's not Annie's motivation? Yes, although she's raped by a supe. Her motivation is she wants to be a hero.
Yeah, but it's her central conflict.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Butcher thinks she was raped, but in the show the video evidence leans towards consensual. We might find out next season.

Annie? That's sexual harassment, not rape. She could have walked out, but then Wave threatened to have her tossed out of the seven. It's still being a complete jerk nad it could be sexual assault, depending.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Coercing someone to perform sex acts is a form of sexual assault.

And at another point full on rape was attempted, I believe.

Last edited by Acsenray; 08-15-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Butcher thinks she was raped, but in the show the video evidence leans towards consensual. We might find out next season.
First, I'm talking about character motivation, and what Butcher thinks is his character motivation.

Second, the video evidence shows her walking professionally and poised into Homelander's office, then coming out much later disheveled and wide-eyed. She leans against the wall, looks around, realizes she's holding one shoe, puts it on, and walks off. It's Episode 7, 32:30. There's no way we're supposed to understand that scene as evidence that she wasn't raped.
Quote:
Annie? That's sexual harassment, not rape. She could have walked out, but then Wave threatened to have her tossed out of the seven. It's still being a complete jerk nad it could be sexual assault, depending.
It is not a defense to a rape allegation to say, "After I threatened her livelihood, she was down with it."

The FBI's definition of rape includes oral rape:
Quote:
“The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”
Old 08-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

This is not the place for a debate on precisely what constitutes precisely which sex crime. Drop the hijack.

(and a thank you to the poster who reported this hijack promptly, so it could be nipped in the bud. I came in here dreading a three-page trainwreck of back-and-forth)
Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 PM

OK. I loved this series and I loved Preacher. What graphic novel should I read to prepare me for the next awesome show? I've been reading East of West, which was optioned by Amazon, and I'm loving that. What are some others?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
You didn't? I saw it coming from the moment I found out his wife had been pregnant. It was fairly obvious from that point on.
I think you're being a little loose with the word 'obvious.'

Yes, I'm not surprised that Homelander's kid was alive. There was nothing to make that obvious though.

I was a little surprised to see that Butcher's wife was alive. Homelander's demonstrated cruelty through the first 6 or 7 episodes make it most believable that he could have killed Butcher's wife to cover up his rape.

The final episode doesn't show if Butcher's wife was raped or not; but it's looking like she was not.

And finally I was very surprised that Homelander, for all his faults, wasn't the reason his wife disappeared, and I thought he actually showed a little humanity by making sure he saved Butcher. Homelander wanted Butcher to know he wasn't the villain in this case, and even brough him to show him that his wife was still alive.

You really think all of that was obvious? I don't think so.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
OK. I loved this series and I loved Preacher. What graphic novel should I read to prepare me for the next awesome show? I've been reading East of West, which was optioned by Amazon, and I'm loving that. What are some others?
Have you read The Sandman by Neil Gaiman? Netflix is supposedly going to be making a series.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup. As I understand it:

1) Translucent came to Hugh's shop and started beating him up.
2) It seems like Butcher saved Hugh's life by ramming a car into him.
3) Translucent starts winning the fight, brutally, and it sure looks like he's gonna kill Hugh and Butcher. Hugh's already seen a supe kill a human, so he's thinking that's gonna happen.
4) Hugh tries to kill Translucent to save his own life, but just knocks him out.
5) As soon as Translucent wakes up in the cage, he starts screaming about how as soon as he gets out they're all dead.
6) Hugh still plans to let him go, but sees that poster about "Keep your hands clean," decides in a rage that he's a coward, and pulls the trigger.

That scene is mirrored in the final episode, when he decides to save A-Train's life, despite having even more reason to kill him. He's decided to take a path different from Butcher's. It's a great scene of growth.

Well, there was that one guy whose
SPOILER:
penis snapped off inside the Ice Queen when she climaxed...