Old 11-27-2019, 03:30 PM

Adam Schiff for VP? 2024 Candidate?

I don't know much about Adam Schiff other than that he's laid out a clear and convincing impeachment case and he seems to be remarkably even keel. I think it's fair to say his stock with Democrats has been on the upswing recently. Even in the nearly certain event that the Republicans acquit Trump in the Senate trial, Schiff will still he the guy that dealt a significant blow for the good guys.

He turns 60 in June. He's in excellent health. He can think on his feet and explain complicated topics clearly.

I admit my ignorance of his policy positions, and I don't know if he's been involved in any major scandals. He's been in Congress since 2001, so I'm sure he's got a few skeletons in his closet

So, what say you? Someone's running mate in 2020? The AG if the Dems win? A candidate in 2024 if the Dems lose the next election?

If Biden gets the nomination, I don't see him picking a safe white guy. Warren-Schiff has a ring to it, though. But if the past four years have taught me anything, it's that I don't know shit about politics.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 11-27-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:32 PM

I agree, definitely an impressive figure and a possible VP candidate, especially if the Presidential candidate isn't a white male.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:44 PM

Wiki tells me he's a former Assistant US Attorney and has served on the Judiciary committee. He consistently votes for defense spending. He voted to authorize the 2003 invasion of Iraq and later came to regret it. He worked to repeal the 2001 AUMF.

I might personally prefer a liberal firebrand, but a somewhat moderate, pro-defense VP with a good knowledge of Judiciary and intelligence issues might be a good complement to a more progressive and inspiring POTUS candidate.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 11-27-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:49 PM

He's far more valuable where he is than as VP. Maybe attorney general, mostly because that office (among most) needs a good shot of integrity and morale-boosting.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:05 PM

Good point, don't mind me.

If he were to run for VP, he'd have to decide whether to stay on the ballot for his Congressional district at the same time. Didn't John Edwards take some heat for running for his Senate seat and VP at the same time?

Schiff got 78% of his district in 2018. So either he's reeeeeealy awesome or it's a safe Democratic seat. Still, if he drops out of the running for Congress to run for VP, and the Dems lose, then we're facing a Congress without a potent anti-Trump fighter. Instead, he could stay in Congress hoping for AG or something if the Dems win. If he gets on the Warren Cabinet, there would be a special election for his seat, but I would think it would stay Blue. If the Dems lose in 2020, he spends the next four years beating on Trump and running for 2024. He'll only be 64 in 2024.

So maybe the smart move is for him to stay put. Hmmmm.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:07 PM

Good member of Congress but tremendously unlikable fellow. Defensive Indifference's numbers suggest otherwise, but that's my personal take.

Last edited by Personal; 11-27-2019 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:27 PM

He’s too polarizing by virtue of his role as a leader of the impeachment to be a good VP candidate.

Plus, he’s from California. To the extent that old-school beliefs still exist about picking a geographically advantageous running mate, a Californian is not too valuable since the state is largely a democratic lock already. It also means that he is not constitutionally eligible to run with fellow Californian Kamala Harris.

And, while Jewish, he’s a white male, so I don’t see him helping somebody like Buttigieg or Biden. In fact, unless the nominee is Booker or Harris, I expect the running mate to be a person of color.

My guess is that he’s angling to be the next speaker after Pelosi is done (in securing her current position, IIRC, she agreed to step down in a few years). He’s done an excellent job of ensuring that he’ll be a popular name amongst the Democratic Party when the time comes to decide on a new leader.

Last edited by Moriarty; 11-27-2019 at 09:28 PM.