Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM

Why do people insist on sharing TMI?

Yesterday at work a woman decided she couldn't currently afford to spend money. That happens all the time. Nobody asked her, "why? what's up?" because honestly, nobody wanted to know.

But she went from, "oh, I cannot currently afford this" straight to, "you see my husband was convicted of molesting our three young (all under 10) children and is in prison. I freaked out over his conviction and didn't know how I could support myself, so I stole two cars and burgled a neighbors home, and so I just got out of jail for that and I'll probably never see my kids again".

Less than two minutes after she left an employee had her newspaper story/booking picture, her Facebook page, and her husband's courtroom and prison info up on her computer. We didn't need to know all this crap.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Sick today. The especially bad part is basically no audible voice, since I work in a call center.
Ginger brandy. Or something spicy with ginger and red pepper. Works every time.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

Yesterday at work a woman decided she couldn't currently afford to spend money. That happens all the time. Nobody asked her, "why? what's up?" because honestly, nobody wanted to know.

But she went from, "oh, I cannot currently afford this" straight to, "you see my husband was convicted of molesting our three young (all under 10) children and is in prison. I freaked out over his conviction and didn't know how I could support myself, so I stole two cars and burgled a neighbors home, and so I just got out of jail for that and I'll probably never see my kids again".

Less than two minutes after she left an employee had her newspaper story/booking picture, her Facebook page, and her husband's courtroom and prison info up on her computer. We didn't need to know all this crap.

Like....HUH? What now? The kids don't seem really high on her list of concerns. Two cars and a burglary? Jesus, lady, try a hobby! Or....a different one. Holy shit. Just ...holy shit.
They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I get callers who think I need to hear all about their surgeries/rehabs/jail stays, instead of just "I need a new debit card/why did my card decline/when will my next deposit be/this charge isn't mine".
Old 12-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
I get callers who think I need to hear all about their surgeries/rehabs/jail stays, instead of just "I need a new debit card/why did my card decline/when will my next deposit be/this charge isn't mine".
Yeah, I feel bad for my employees "having" to listen to the stuff people wanna share. When people start telling me stuff I stop them and explain that they don't have to tell me their personal details. They invariably tell me it is ok, to which I then explain that I do not want to hear about it. My employees are too polite (IMHO).
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
Today I was in a hotel lounge and there were no less than three TVs, all set up strategically such that you could not be facing away from one. Volumes up, no remotes around. The goddam things were sunk into the wall so you couldn't even get at the buttons on them to turn them down or off.

I'm running into this more and more. Who decided we have to be watching TV everywhere? I wouldn't complain about this in a sports bar or a few other types of spots. But lately it feels like I am just inundated with TVs, and there's no way to mute them or turn them off. I bought one of those TV B-Gone gizmos, but it doesn't work very well. Might have to invest in a hammer.
Quote:
We spent Saturday drinkshopping* in Ligonier and this topic came up. Huge televisions have become lightweight and dirt cheap. Mounting brackets make it easy-peasy to hang a tv anywhere. And cable!
What? You thought Max Headroom (TV series) was fiction and not a future documentary?

Quote:
In the future, an oligarchy of television networks rules the world. Even the government functions primarily as a puppet of the network executives, serving mainly to pass laws — such as banning "off" switches on televisions — that protect and consolidate the networks' power. Television technology has advanced to the point that viewers' physical movements and thoughts can be monitored through their television sets
Old 12-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When my workplace used to handle paternity testing, I would get calls all the time from people ostensibly wanting to schedule a test. About half of them would pour out their life story and then decide not to do the test at all. I didn't mind those, but your lady takes the cake! Those poor kids.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Also sick - and since I rarely catch colds, I'm feeling extra special whiny.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I was sitting on the toilet, and you know when you drop the kids off at the pool and there's always this one fat kid who won't come out of the van because the water's too cold? Is that too much information for you?

Last edited by cochrane; 12-04-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I actually had a coworker once who followed me into the bathroom in order to tell me a long song and dance about why she was having an issue with a program she supposedly was experienced with that someone who actually was experienced with using the program wouldn't have had an issue with, and the song and dance actually had nothing to do with the issue with the program, it was some tale about her life and needing the job and how she couldn't understand why no one in the office seemed to like her and ...

Every time she talked to any of us about anything, there was at least 10 minutes of lead-in that had lots to do with her life and nothing to do with the job. I started applying a technique I called constructive rudeness, which basically consisted of interrupting her, telling her to ask her question without the useless information, giving her the answer, and then turning my back on her.

We were all very happy when her contract ended.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Hospitals and homeless shelters are always very happy to get baby blankets.

Hats and gloves are good for using up all the left over bits and pieces you have hanging around to allow you to start something new. Of course, this means you will have to go out and look at yarn and tools and socialize with fellow crafty folks, which might not be a bad thing either.
And penguins ... someone in Australia apparently makes penguin sweaters and I saw a pic, and they are inordinatley cute.

After aruBro passed I loaded his work clothes [heavy Carhart jackets, pants and shirts] and work boots, and also any other clothing and footware of his that was in good condition into my van and I handed them out when I saw guys that could use them. I did the same with a lot of my mom's clothing [well, took it to a woman's shelter I know of]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
The cold is progressing. I’m losing my voice and I’m just generally miserable.
My favorite go to for the issue is hot tea, ginger, lemon and honey possibly with a shot of brandy. Hot mulled cider also sort of works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
You sound like Paul Simon:

"A winters day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island."
Here we are fond of quiet time, and would be sitting enjoying something hot to drink and watching the view, with perhaps a good book and some music. Being introverts together can be quite peaceful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedin View Post
Can't say I've ever seen the white cat meme. My sour is that my Ursala Kitteh had dental surgery to the tune of over $400. She's fine now and I had the money but I didn't like the thought of her going under. Also, the bronchitis that has been in my lungs since November is starting to really annoy me. I'm getting better after a trip to ED at 1:30 on a Sunday morning, breathing treatments every 4-6 hours, 15 days of Prednisone, 8 days off work. The gunk is starting to come up so I'm coughing phlegm.
Ouchies, I hope you get better soon. And you are quite right about how dangerous it is for cats to go under, we lost a healthy young gentleman kitteh when he went in for getting neutered. Very sad, but some cats do not respond well to the drugs

First world whine for me - today I used hte last of a tube of EMLA goop to numb the skin over my port, and we had to get a new scrip issued and go wait for it - there was a hella line at the base pharmacy [but at least we get it absolutely free, thanks to military service ... but still - did every guy on base have a cold or something?!]
Old 12-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

There's a woman I work with who is a dog breeder. She's not THIS bad, but every couple of weeks she sends out an email saying she'll be out of the office, needs to take one of her dogs to the vet, then will go into gory detail about what's wrong with the dog. Y'know, "gotta run one of the dogs to the vet" is really all we need to know.

Speaking of work, it's benefits enrollment season again. We have a few different options for our health insurance. Let's call them plans A, B, and C. Plan A has the lowest premium and highest deductible. Plans B and C have higher premiums and lower deductibles.

In the past, the company has always kicked in a $1200 contribution to our HSA (health savings account). This year only one plan has an employer contribution, and that is plan C. So, comparing plans B and C, I can't see any difference, other than the premiums and that C has the employer contribution. I figured out the difference in premiums between the plans, then multiplied by 26 (# of paychecks per year) and guess what? It comes out to exactly $1200! So basically if you pick plan C, the employer contribution is coming out of your own pocket. Screw that, I guess I'll go with plan B.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Unhappy people are the WORST! I don't mean people who are unhappy, I mean grow-ass fucking adults who are unhappy and want to fuck shit up for other people. Those are the worst. Fucker ruined my Christmas:

I am not my 14 y/o, P's, biodad. But I have been in his life since he was 6, and his biodad (to be referred to as Fuckwad hereafter) moved out of state back to Massachusetts a couple years ago on the cusp of P's pubescence and sees him about twice a year. So that makes me the male role model in his life, and for all intents and purposes his "Dad". And I couldn't be happier about that; he's an absolutely FANTASTIC young man.

So P has been an XBox 360, and then PS4 gamer, but expressed an interest in getting in to PC gaming (see, I told you he's a good boy). He was talking about wanting to buy a gaming computer when he saves up enough money, and we talked and I told him we'd get more bang for our buck if we build one together. (I tried to count last night and I think it would be my 7th). He was excited to start saving, and even decided to ask for nothing but Amazon gift cards for Christmas and his upcoming birthday to use to buy parts.

Well, I had a thought. I decided to spec out parts for an entry-level gaming machine with plenty of room to upgrade, and see if everybody who gets him gifts would be interested in participating and each buy him a part, or go together with another aunt or something on one if they're the more expensive ones. Everybody thought that was an awesome idea, so I made an Amazon wish list and we sent it out. So I was REALLY looking forward to seeing P open his first gits and realize the PC parts were rolling in! Like seriously, THAT is what I was looking forward to this Christmas.

P's mom also asked Fuckwad if he wanted in and/or wanted to share the list with his family as well. He said sure.

Well, Fuckwad was out to visit a couple weeks ago. Last night P said something about still wanting a computer, but not needing a keyboard or mouse.

Thafuck? Just so happens that his aunt bought those, and so they disappeared from the list.

Turns out while Fuckwad was out here, he decided to shit on everybody's pancakes and clued P in on the plan, to the point of showing him the list. AND then gave him $500.

We're still carrying on, but so much for the surprise

Fuck that guy. What a fucking asshole.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Just spent three and a half hours writing some stored procedure for SQL.

Forgot that the last thing I did before Thanksgiving was write the same code. At that time the source code accidentally got saved in a seldom used directory.
So this week, operating with fewer brain cells I went looking for anything that looked like some code, didn't find it, and then decided that it must have accidentally got erased.

One and a half hours of searching, two hours of recoding.

Then, as I went to save the final version of my code it defaulted to the seldom used directory where lo and behold sat my original code.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer_Flight View Post

So what's chapping your hide this month?
The fucking Fundies and Dominionists (the so called "religious" right) are at it again with their fucking "war on Christmas". ANNNNNDDDD there is now a supposed "war on Thanksgiving" too.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM

We get emails every two months from HR reminding staff that we are a scent free workplace.

I switched from one department to another and immediately started having bad allergic reactions - nose running non stop, itchy eyes and nose, sinuses irritated) - and could not figure out the culprit.

Until this morning, when I found out my cubicle neighbor likes to spray themselves with fancy ass rose water as a ‘refreshing pick me up!’ Asshole.

Last edited by Gloomcookie; Yesterday at 01:53 PM. Reason: Yes
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post

We're still carrying on, but so much for the surprise

Fuck that guy. What a fucking asshole.
I'm sorry. I hope it doesn't really ruin everything, despite the lost surprise. P is a lucky kid and you're sure to have a good time building the PC.

Me, I'm trying to get some work done today and fantasizing about how different my life would be if everyone actually did their jobs and didn't fuck them up.
Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

I mentioned this in another thread, but damn my family and gift giving sucks.
For Xmas our little family exchanges names for gift giving. The giftee writes what they would like on a piece of paper, paper into the hat, names drawn.
My sister drew my grand-niece's name. Grand-niece was rushed in writing her list, ended up putting down a bunch of gift cards. Sis doesn't want to by gift cards, says they're too generic. But they're what grand-niece wanted...
My mom drew my sister's name. Sis wants a Belgian waffle maker. Mom hates Belgian waffle makers, wants to buy a "normal" square waffle maker.
I kinda snapped on them both. If I ask for a unicorn, don't give me a platypus, just because you don't like unicorns / think unicorns are dumb. There's a reason I would like a unicorn and not a platypus (although a platypus would be cool).
For the past few years a couple of us have tried canceling the whole gift giving thing, suggesting like white elephant games or charity donations, but we're always outvoted.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

At least you're drawing names. Our family tried that once, and of course somebody flaked and didn't get a gift for the person they drew and now we're back to traditional "go bankrupt buying all the other adults crap they don't even want" Christmas.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomcookie View Post
We get emails every two months from HR reminding staff that we are a scent free workplace.

I switched from one department to another and immediately started having bad allergic reactions - nose running non stop, itchy eyes and nose, sinuses irritated) - and could not figure out the culprit.

Until this morning, when I found out my cubicle neighbor likes to spray themselves with fancy ass rose water as a ‘refreshing pick me up!’ Asshole.
I work at a scent free workplace too. About a month or so ago, someone hung up rubbery plastic bars impregnated with pure stank in the restroom. I waited until I was in there by myself and buried them in the trashcan under all the paper towels. If I knew who put them in there, I'd tuck some of my cat's litterbox presents in the back of all their desk drawers as thanks.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

What can the burgling neighbor not afford? Looks to me like she doesn't have to spend any money on the kids' upkeep, etc. On the plus side for her coworkers, y'all now not to lend her anything.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Scent-free workplaces?

BAH-HA HA HA HA HA HA

Someone at my workplace has seen fit to purchase some fancy potpourri (I've been repeatedly told that it cost $20!) and place it in a large bowl in the main lobby. I didn't know a scent could make your eyelids and the edges of your nostrils itch.

It smells like cinnamon brooms, if you're wondering. Smells like a whole warehouse of the damned things.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomcookie View Post

Sounds like a trip to HR should be in the works.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
My mini-rant is about one of my coworkers (soon to be former b/c she's mercifully switching teams). She's ok on a personal level, but on a professional level she is a hot damn mess. Her biggest issue is that everything she says she says in really obnoxious corporate speak that sounds like utter bullshit. It's so bad someone called me about it after being copied on the below email (some items changed to protect the witless).

Hi, overly,
We are still discussioning the architect solution for X with our innovation counterparts to identify optimized times for solutioning. In the meantime, relative to this initiative, would you please correspond with your agreement with respect to moving the needle on this critical moonshot project in advance of EOW?

Employee

The first sentence alone is jaw-dropping, which is ironic coming from someone with my handle. I'm still trying to figure out how long that would take to write or if it's possible that someone thinks in those terms.
I’m laughing because I can translate this. It’s actually kind of any easy one, although completely and totally ridiculous. The only thing is that I don’t have enough context to determine exactly what the “architect solution” and “x” is, but for the sake of translation let’s say someone recommended adding shelves to a conference room.

The translation is “We’re still trying to nail down an appointment with the contractors that are going to install that shelving in the conference room. It would help me out if you could send an email to everyone confirming you need this done right away. I’d like this taken care of this week. (Assuming I made the right guess on EOW. If you’re a cop or in the military she may want it done a lot sooner - or before she kills herself)*

A friend and I once had a contest to come up with a corporate-speak phrase that was truly impossible to parse, no matter how you looked at it. It was surprisingly difficult. The one I came up with was “You have to stay parallel with your synergy.”

*I translated EOW as End Of Week. Although there’s a chance it may mean End Of Watch. Which has two meanings, one mundane, one sort of dark.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; Yesterday at 10:17 PM.
Old Today, 01:12 AM

Don't have any eggnog to sour. *pouts*

We tried making Alton Brown's eggnog and then left it in the fridge. For more than a year. Which should be fine. But I'm scared to try it. But don't want to throw it out.

And I remember seeing a vegan eggnog substitute from a source I trust, but their website is now behind a paywall. I'm fairly certain I printed out the recipe. It's in the stack o'recipes, which is about 1 ream high.

I just printed out a recipe for zucchini banana bread again, because I can't find it.

Maybe I should sort out my recipes?
Old Today, 01:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Don't have any eggnog to sour. *pouts*

We tried making Alton Brown's eggnog and then left it in the fridge. For more than a year. Which should be fine. But I'm scared to try it. But don't want to throw it out.
Good call. You might make it mad.
Old Today, 05:06 AM

I keep starting posts in this thread, but they quickly get too long and grow tangents like branches and sometimes get complicated and less than entirely kind and also, because so much of this is my own fault, are questionably rant-worthy. The very summarized version of some of it is, I feel a little taken advantage of, but am complicit in the whole thing and suck at setting boundaries because I wish I were altruistic and generous in an unlimited and no-strings-attached way and want to make things better and easier for people, but my resources are just tapped out and there's nothing left to give and it's all insufficient and I'm overwhelmed and stressed and annoyed with myself and also really struggling physically which just complicates things in so many ways.

So instead of delving into all that, I'm going to complain about the fact that I'm trying to find good vegan Christmas cookies on Google and every list I can find is full of cookies that are also gluten free or high-protein or other things. I don't need or want them to be gluten-free or low-sugar or otherwise "healthy" in any way other than being vegan. I want them to be decadent, not vague approximations of cookies.

Also, man is baking cookies an expensive idea. I'm trying to find/pick maybe three varieties- enough to make a collection without going overboard. But I don't actually have a well-stocked kitchen with lots of (or almost any) ingredients. If I make gingerbread, I will have to buy every one of those spices. I'll have to buy cocoa powder, sugar, cream of tartar, baking powder, vanilla, molasses... all those little things that will go into the recipes and then I'll have 95% of a container of them left over forever. I don't have cookie cutters or a rolling pin or parchment paper. This is meant to be a gift for someone who has been very kind to me (and my roommate), but also has vastly more money than me, so like... of course I want to do something that they'd really like, but buying them a gift seems weird and stupid because they can buy whatever they want. But homemade vegan Christmas cookies are harder to come by and seemed doable and like a good idea when I first thought of it... but honestly less so now.

But. it's 4 AM and I can't sleep and I hurt and as I was writing this post an autopay notification came in for a sort of unexpected bill (only unexpected because I suck and wasn't thinking about it and thought I had already covered this month's bills but forgot about this every-three-months one) so... without spiraling too far down the everything-else rabbit hole, a lot of things just seem pretty dire and impossible right now and maybe it will look better in the light of day but really, actually, the more I think of it... of course I can't afford to make the stupid cookies and I won't be able to in the morning, either. So... never mind, I guess. Rant cancelled. Except that it's still annoying that it's hard to find recipes that are just vegan and otherwise regular proper indulgent cookies. So the rant stands. I'll think of something. God I hate Christmas.

Last edited by SurrenderDorothy; Today at 05:06 AM.
Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
At least you're drawing names. Our family tried that once, and of course somebody flaked and didn't get a gift for the person they drew and now we're back to traditional "go bankrupt buying all the other adults crap they don't even want" Christmas.
My gf's family does a thing where everyone brings a wrapped gift, someone opens one, the next person can "steal" from someone or open a gift. There are all sorts of rules & complications.
Meanwhile, everyone is a bit tipsy or high. One year a 13 year old nephew wound up with a mixed case of beer. I actually enjoy the game, as for some reason I always end up a winner.
Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post

Also, man is baking cookies an expensive idea. I'm trying to find/pick maybe three varieties- enough to make a collection without going overboard. But I don't actually have a well-stocked kitchen with lots of (or almost any) ingredients. If I make gingerbread, I will have to buy every one of those spices. I'll have to buy cocoa powder, sugar, cream of tartar, baking powder, vanilla, molasses... all those little things that will go into the recipes and then I'll have 95% of a container of them left over forever. I don't have cookie cutters or a rolling pin or parchment paper.
I'm really sorry things seem to be piling up on you. I've been there, and it truly sucks to feel overwhelmed by everything and I also beat myself up telling myself that everyone else in the world handles all this stuff so what the hell's wrong with me that I can't? So know that at least one other person understands and gets it...and likely everyone has, at sometime or other.

About the cookies -- yeah, they call for expensive ingredients (dried fruits, nuts, chocolate, special decorations, and stuff you have no other use for if you don't bake a lot) -- and that's before whatever replacement ingredients you need to make them vegan. If you do decide to go on with cookies, snickerdoodles are pretty cheap. They're as basic and plain as any cookie can be, little more than flour/sugar/butter/eggs and cinnamon, and I've never run into anyone who doesn't like them.

But a cheaper and easier similar present might be old fashioned home made candy.

For example, sponge candy takes only sugar, corn syrup, vinegar, and baking soda. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...nge-candy-2797

Or candied fruit peel. They take some time, but all you need is sugar and water and the peel from citrus fruit (oranges/lemons/limes/grapefruit/whatever and you even get to eat the good part yourself anyway ) Here's a sample recipe https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/19...nd-lemon-peel/

And those recipes start out vegan to begin with so no tricky substitutions to work around.
Old Today, 10:25 AM

Dear Food Maker People,

Could you please put expiration dates that are READABLE on your stuff? Oh, and put them where I can FIND THEM!
None of these 1980 dot matrix letters and numbers that are always smashed together.