Old 09-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Hot Flashes, AKA, is this FINALLY menopause?

I'm fifty, and feel like I really deserve some menopause, but up until two months ago, my periods were running like a German train, so I wasn't thinking it was even close by. Then I got three periods close together. I expected irregular periods to be less frequent, not more frequent, and I was also dealing with my mother being in hospice, and her death three weeks ago, so I've been under plenty of the kind of stress that can make your periods irregular.

Then I started to get these episodes of being kinda warm, but they were not at all what I expected hot flashes to be like. I thought you'd just be sitting there, then you'd suddenly be so unbearably hot you needed to jump into a cold shower.

This is more like thing that normally make me warm, like exertion, or sitting be a window in the summer, make me more uncomfortably warm than usual, but it isn't unbearable, and passes pretty quickly. So I don't know if those are nascent hot flashes, or just wishful thinking.

TMI ALERT: (men might not want to read on)

My breasts are a little tender. Both of them, so it's not worrying me too much. If it were just one, I'd see a doctor. It's nothing bad: on a scale of 1-10, where 10 is 1st trimester pregnancy, and 4 is how they felt when I had my first periods during puberty, this is about a 1.5.

If someone tells me this sounds like menopause, I'll do a happy dance.

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 09-17-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM

It sounds like what I went through for a little over a year before menopause finally hit. My doc said I was "pre-menopausal" and not to worry too much but just keep an eye on things. As it went on I started missing periods and the warm episodes became definite hot flashes. Doc told me until I went a good 5 - 6 months without a period, I wasn't fully in menopause. So - sounds like your train is finally getting ready to leave the station - YAY!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:42 PM

HAPPY DANCE!

I feel so ridiculous when I buy pads. I just hope people think they are for my daughter.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:43 PM

BTW, what does a full-fledged hot flash feel like?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:49 PM

That is peri- menopausal symptoms you're having..It is starting to happen. But don't buy into the hype too much..It doesn't have to be horrid..deal with the symptoms as they come about and it all gets better with time.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 PM

Two years ago (48yo) I began waking up a few nights a week soaked in sweat-- as in, wetter than running a marathon in the Sahara. The last year or so PMS has gotten really awful and I bleed like the proverbial pig.

My mom was still having a period at 65-freakin-yrs old and had a hysterectomy. Believe me, I ain't gonna wait that long if the plumbing is still going.

I believe today's approach is not to medicate for pedi-memo; at least that's my doc's outlook.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post

My mom was still having a period at 65-freakin-yrs old and had a hysterectomy. Believe me, I ain't gonna wait that long if the plumbing is still going.
If I'm still having periods at 65, I'll rip it out with my bare hands.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Yup, sounds like you're in peri-menopause. It can go on for years.

You're not officially past menopause until you've gone a year without periods. I seem to remember mine becoming more frequent as well. Then less frequent. Then, eventually, nada.

I take an anti-depressant that has the side effect of masking pre- and post-menopausal symptoms. So while I got night sweats (just what they sound like) I don't think I ever had a full-on hot flash. Just brief episodes of feeling like I ought to be able to heat the house.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Ok NOW men stop reading.

Horrible zombie apocalyptic type visions
Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM

65!! Jeez..I would die..that cannot be normal!
Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
65!! Jeez..I would die..that cannot be normal!
The Bell Curve says it's not.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm 47, I have a fibroid that's making my periods (which have been, up to now, almost non-events) horrible, my mother died of ovarian cancer, and I am so ready to rip everything out. The only saving grace is that my gyno just told me that yes, indeed, I CAN stay on the pill with no breaks for as long as my body lets me go without bleeding and thus put off periods indefinitely. Or until my body says "yep, let's do it now."

That said, I'm nervous about menopause for a couple reasons:

1 - the side effects sound icky. My mom complained of hot flashes and... other stuff (she was vague); that said, she had more period side-effects that me her whole life. Should I worry?

2 - I like sex. Will that change post-menopause or if I do just rip everything out with my bare hands one of these days (or, y'know, get it all removed surgically)? I'm not ready to give up that part of my life. I read different opinions of this and would very much like some first-hand reviews if anyone is up for it.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:43 PM

I've been having occasional hot flashes since last summer, but no menopause so far. I may not actually get there, since I just went to the doctor's on Friday about my fibroid, which will be removed in the near future--whether just the fibroid or a hysterectomy, I don't know yet. I won't decide until after another appointment next week.

I'm 53.

My mom was another one of those ladies who was still having periods past 60: I remember that she was seeing doctors about it, when she finally stopped without medical intervention. We've been having a lot of phone conversations about these things lately, which will drive my dad out of the room after he tells Mom, "Tell her I said 'Hi'."
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

As mentioned above, menopause does not start until you have gone without a period for an entire year. Prior to that, you are in peri-menopause.

Here is a fun list of 66 peri-menopause/menopause symptoms.

I went through about a year-and-a-half to two years where I would just randomly have one of the symptoms on that list for a few weeks, and then it would disappear, and a few weeks later another symptom would appear. Night sweats, insomnia, acne, facial hair, breast soreness, accidents/bruising, hot flashes, vaginal irritation, dizziness, tinnitus, abdominal bloating, palpitations, gastrointestinal distress...

I am finally in full menopause, and the symptoms have dissipated somewhat, although reading that list, I'm recognizing some things that I hadn't really associated with menopause.

I hadn't noticed that facial pallor/facial flushing one before. Just last week I wondered why my face had suddenly turned a whiter shade of pale.

I never felt like any of my symptoms were severe enough to require treatment. I just amused myself playing menopause bingo.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 AM
Mere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I'm 47, I have a fibroid that's making my periods (which have been, up to now, almost non-events) horrible, my mother died of ovarian cancer, and I am so ready to rip everything out. The only saving grace is that my gyno just told me that yes, indeed, I CAN stay on the pill with no breaks for as long as my body lets me go without bleeding and thus put off periods indefinitely. Or until my body says "yep, let's do it now."

That said, I'm nervous about menopause for a couple reasons:

1 - the side effects sound icky. My mom complained of hot flashes and... other stuff (she was vague); that said, she had more period side-effects that me her whole life. Should I worry?

2 - I like sex. Will that change post-menopause or if I do just rip everything out with my bare hands one of these days (or, y'know, get it all removed surgically)? I'm not ready to give up that part of my life. I read different opinions of this and would very much like some first-hand reviews if anyone is up for it.
I had a surgical menopause at 50 for cancer reasons. The only thing that really bothered me were the hot flashes, and even they weren't that bad. It was like a wave of intense heat, but not so bad that I sweated and would fade pretty quickly, like two minutes. I was most uncomfortable when they happened at night and I felt like the bedclothes were suffocating me. I took a soy supplement that made them disappear.

As for your second question, my sex life barely changed. The most noticeable was that I was drier so we became connoisseurs of lubes. Also, my vaginal tissue changed and was tighter so we had to make sure I was loosened up (toys and/or fingers), but I can't say this was detrimental and neither would Mr. H. Actually, the foreplay got better.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Everyone's an individual and experiences are not all the same, so don't panic from this, but ... I hate to say it, but 2-3 years after menopause my sex drive practically vanished and arousal is more difficult. Once I'm back in the US for real, I'm DEFINITELY going to see if I can get some Flibanserin, since that seems to be at least partly helpful.

It hasn't exactly affected my sex life, since my husband is patient and I persevere, going the "fake it til you make it" route. So I'm still wearing lingerie, making saucy remarks to my husband, and having about the same amount of sex as always. But my enjoyment is down a lot, and it sucks.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I'm only 45, and SO done with having periods.

I'm looking forward to menopause. Especially the hot flashes(yes, I know, I say that now) but I'm always cold. My body creating its own heat, no matter the temperature? Sounds wonderful.

I still get horrible cramps, bleed like I've been stabbed, and my boobs hurts 3 weeks out of every month. I still get pimples some months too. That's not fun at my age.

A few years ago I had everything checked out because my periods had become pretty bad. The ultrasound had shown thickening of the uterine walls, so the did an internal test to make sure everything was fine, which it was. They suggested a few options, but really I just wanted to know things were ok. But ya, I'm done. Bring it on.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Menopause is such an individual thing, it's hard to call any 'rules'. For me it was periods getting further and further apart, and a few nights of chucking the doona off in the middle of winter (no sweats, crazy homicidal moods, or unusual facial-hair growth).

You'll be OK....it might take a few months or a few years. Be just grateful for having lived long enough to experience menopause.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Mine was surgically induced via a thyroidectomy. I was 47. Everything just stopped in its tracks after that. No hot flashes, nothing. However, my perimenopause started in earnest probably in my late 30s. My first clue was my period suddenly appearing all over the place, sometimes for a day, sometimes for a week. Can't tell you how many "oops" incidents I'd had before it finally dawned on me to have something on me at all times. Hormonally I was a beast but otherwise the whole thing was uneventful.

But yes, physically, menopause brings on drier-than-the-Sahara stuff. Vaginal tissue becomes much thinner, too, so it makes things doubly painful. It also deadens one's sex drive, thanks to plummeting hormones. If maintaining a sex life is important to you, you have to be very diligent combating it.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:31 PM

I'm easily chilled, always have been, and I love heat. But hot flashes don't feel like stepping into pleasant heat, it's a flush of heat that's suddenly coming from under your skin (for me all over my body) and it's distracting no matter what you're doing. I barely slept 4 hours a night for nearly 3 months till I got on HRT, no matter how tired, drunk or medicated I was. And at work the distraction was even worse.

It would be great, in my mind, for men to read this thread and others like it so they can understand what our experiences are like and perhaps be supportive. Plenty of men think they're supposed to icked out by period and menopause discussions b/c that's how they're told to respond. Any man who's ever cleaned his own fished or hunted game animal is unlikely to be icked out by discussion like this on his own.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:

My doc put me on norethindrone instead of one of the cute little pop a pill out normal birth control pills ... not entirely certain what the actual difference is, I don't speak pill-speak well enough to just read up on them and tell you what the deal is.

Pre hysterectomy it was freaking HEAVENLY to simply not bleed at all - with the form of PCOS with hell-cramps, either skipping totally or bleeding out with golfball sized clumps of yech and blood [ys I know it is all endometrial lining, but it looks like BLOOD, so blood it is. Deal with it.] just having a bottle of blessed agony-stopping was wonderful.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Maybe you'll be like me. When I turned 50 I just stopped. As for hot flashes, my entire adult life has been pretty much one solid hot flash so I didn't notice anything much worse than usual. The bad part is watching my hair fall out. Not a good look on women.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohjonen View Post
Maybe you'll be like me. When I turned 50 I just stopped. As for hot flashes, my entire adult life has been pretty much one solid hot flash so I didn't notice anything much worse than usual. The bad part is watching my hair fall out. Not a good look on women.
When I was a teenager, I had Roseanne Rosannadanna hair, I kid you not. It calmed down a little when I was pregnant, but perked up again after I stopped breastfeeding, although it never got quite back to the RR state. Thank gawd. It still looks thick and curly, but it is sooooooo much more manageable.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 PM

One thing about aging is that my migraines have become much more manageable. They don't really hurt more than stress or sleep-deprivation headaches about 75% of the time. They are migraines, though, according to more than one doctor, including a neurologist and a psychiatrist, who said that if the only medication that makes them go away is a triptan, they are migraines. And it's true. They laugh at OTC pain meds, and narcotics make them WORSE. If I let them go for days, which happened once because my stupid insurance company refused to refill the prescription, I start to get disturbances in proprioception, and lose depth perception-- my vision doubles, and then my brain starts suppressing one eye at a time.

After that weekend, my doctor wrote a letter to the insurance company, and they worked out a solution. But the point is, my migraines aren't like when I was a kid-- totally debilitating: all I could do was lie in bed with an ice pack in total darkness, and hope I didn't throw up. I didn't get my homework done until my aunt intervened, and started calling me in sick for half a day after a migraine. Now I can function for at least an hour with one, so if I get one and am far from home, it's manageable until I get to my sumatriptan.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:40 PM

Bumping this because, at 48, I am now smack dab in the middle of menopause. I've not had a period since last October - yay me!! I can't describe how liberating it is. I can make plans and not have to wonder or hope that Aunt Flow won't make an appearance.

The hot flashes - OMG the hot flashes!

Mine literally started overnight. It starts with a wave of nausea which means I have less than a minute for the heat to start. Then there's a combination of incredible fatigue, elevated temp, headache and feeling like I have the flu and I need to go lay down right now or I'll die. It lasts about a minute or two and then just goes away. It's incredibly draining.

TMI warning for dudes!

You know, when you have your period, there is a slight smell of iron when you go to the toilet? Well, it's kind of always like that, now. Is this 'normal'? Is it just me?

Gah - hot flash!!!

Phew. I find that, if I'm sitting right in front of a fan when it starts, it doesn't get quite as bad.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM

Those are bad flashes, I'm sorry they're hitting you so hard. Mine were almost always at night, all night. It's crazy how it feels the heat is coming from under your skin rather than at you. I lasted 5 months before finally getting a RX for an estradiol/norethindrone daily (spelling may not be exact) that let me sleep through a night again.
I'm afraid that if I had started it sooner I could have staved off some of the cognitive loss.
If you go for a smear test this year, don't say menopause. I saw a new doc, I mentioned to the intake staffer that I thought I was in menopause and that became the basis for the Dr's misdiagnosis that cost me several hundred dollars and a hellish biopsy that turned out to be unnecessary.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:27 PM

I have had two hot flash experiences. I'm just 41, though. I think they were ovulation-induced (yes, that's a thing).

I'm looking forward to menopause, but I really really hope I don't have to deal with hot flashes. I think they should be renamed "hot and creepy-crawly flashes", because that would be more apt. If it was just feeling hot, it wouldn't be so bad. But the two hot flashes I had were also accompanied by itchiness and antsiness...like I had restless leg syndrome all over my body.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
...like I had restless leg syndrome all over my body.
YES. Thank you. I'm past menopause, but still get a strange thing happening. I feel a strange and unpleasant sensation in my chest, and the only way to describe it is that it feels like the sensation you get in your calves if you have restless leg syndrome. Then, precisely thirty seconds later, I get a hot flash. It's a mild hot flash nowadays, not like the ones I got back when I was fifty-two.

When I got full-on hot flashes years ago, it was like someone opening a blast furnace against my face, throat and chest. It was not to be mistaken for just feeling a little warm or sweaty.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Around 47 I started bleeding like crazy every period. As in, was glad I worked from home. After much blah blah, time passes, yadda yadda, I got an IUD. No periods in the last 1.5 years. Recommend!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsomniaMama View Post
Around 47 I started bleeding like crazy every period. As in, was glad I worked from home. After much blah blah, time passes, yadda yadda, I got an IUD. No periods in the last 1.5 years. Recommend!
My last period lasted 18 days. By the end I was surprised I was still alive. How much blood can one person lose before they just die?!

For the last year or so before my last period I was on Tranexamic acid because I had Menorrhagia.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 PM

P.A. at my doctor was asking me a few questions when we were going over things because of my big life threatening blood glucose scare. She thinks I'm peri-menopausal. On the very same day the traumatic, giant upset over cutting half my hair off. Not pleasant to hear that day. I'm not looking forward to things progressing. My oldest Sister tells me horror stories. Gah!
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
P.A. at my doctor was asking me a few questions when we were going over things because of my big life threatening blood glucose scare. She thinks I'm peri-menopausal. On the very same day the traumatic, giant upset over cutting half my hair off. Not pleasant to hear that day. I'm not looking forward to things progressing. My oldest Sister tells me horror stories. Gah!
See, that's another frustrating aspect of it - your menopause may be nothing like that of other women in your family. There's simply no way to prepare for it until you find one foot in it.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
Bumping this because, at 48, I am now smack dab in the middle of menopause. I've not had a period since last October - yay me!! I can't describe how liberating it is. I can make plans and not have to wonder or hope that Aunt Flow won't make an appearance.

The hot flashes - OMG the hot flashes!

Mine literally started overnight. It starts with a wave of nausea which means I have less than a minute for the heat to start. Then there's a combination of incredible fatigue, elevated temp, headache and feeling like I have the flu and I need to go lay down right now or I'll die. It lasts about a minute or two and then just goes away. It's incredibly draining.
Mine are similar, but not as bad as yours. No nausea. But I do feel unwell and feverish. Then a wave of heart rises up through me, and often I sweat. Once my glasses fogged up. It lasts for longer than two minutes.

Truth be told, I've had occasional hot flashes since I hit puberty, especially when I'm over tired or in a different time zone. But they are much more frequent (daily) than before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatyGimpy View Post
TMI warning for dudes!

You know, when you have your period, there is a slight smell of iron when you go to the toilet? Well, it's kind of always like that, now. Is this 'normal'? Is it just me?
I have not had that. But I've been on an IUD for a couple of years that mostly ended my monthly bleeding before actual menopause.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I found it became extremely hard to orgasm. Going on estrogen fixed that problem, though. (That's not why I started estrogen, but it was a nice bonus.)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 AM

I'd forgotten that I contributed to this old thread.

I did have a hysterectomy in Oct. 2017, so obviously I stopped having periods a year and half ago. But I decided to keep the ovaries for hormone reasons, and apparently they are still spitting little eggs out into nowhere once in a while. Technically, menopause hasn't happened yet; I still have hot flashes every now and again. Not as bad as some described--just a sudden flush of warmth on my face and throat for no reason, more often at night but sometimes when I'm just sitting watching TV or at work.

Oh, well, as long as the bleeding's stopped. With the fibroid, it was getting horrifically heavy near the end.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy PickleSniffer View Post
It sounds like what I went through for a little over a year before menopause finally hit. My doc said I was "pre-menopausal" and not to worry too much but just keep an eye on things. As it went on I started missing periods and the warm episodes became definite hot flashes. Doc told me until I went a good 5 - 6 months without a period, I wasn't fully in menopause. So - sounds like your train is finally getting ready to leave the station - YAY!
That train is a JERK!

6 months without a period and then two in a month! FUCK THIS SHIT!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:49 AM

The irregular periods are what I warn my pre-menopausal friends about. IRREGULAR DOESN'T MEAN LESS FREQUENT. In my case, I’d have two or 3 periods 2 or 3 weeks apart, then I’d skip 8 weeks. Then another one two weeks later.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
The irregular periods are what I warn my pre-menopausal friends about. IRREGULAR DOESN'T MEAN LESS FREQUENT. In my case, Id have two or 3 periods 2 or 3 weeks apart, then Id skip 8 weeks. Then another one two weeks later.
I've always been like clockwork, and that appears to be holding true in perimenopause. What that means is my cycle has been slowly and steadily shortening: 26 day cycle, hold for 2 years...24 day cycle, hold for a year....and now I'm down to 21 freaking days for the last 4 months or so. I anticipate a stretch of one long continuous period before it's over.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Hot flashes feel like literal hell. Plain and simple.

And they do not stop post-menopausal.I haven't had a period since September of 2005, and I still get a hot flash every once in a while.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post

Here is a fun list of 66 peri-menopause/menopause symptoms.
OMG, kill me now.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I'm 60 now, and still get an occasional mild hot flash.

Back in my late 30's/early 40's, I was on Depo-Provera for a few years, so no periods! Somewhere around age 44, I got off the Depo, and my doctor did some kind of blood test to determine if I was in menopause. It turns out I was! I haven't had a period since I was 38 or so.
(Don't hit me! )

I've had hot flashes over the years, but they weren't that bad. I still have a libido, but it is much less now. Like others are saying, everybody is different.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
I'm 60 now, and still get an occasional mild hot flash.

Back in my late 30's/early 40's, I was on Depo-Provera for a few years, so no periods! Somewhere around age 44, I got off the Depo, and my doctor did some kind of blood test to determine if I was in menopause. It turns out I was! I haven't had a period since I was 38 or so.
(Don't hit me! )

I've had hot flashes over the years, but they weren't that bad. I still have a libido, but it is much less now. Like others are saying, everybody is different.
I knew I'd read about a blood test for menopause but my Dr acted like I was nuts when I mentioned it. Here's the news on one recently approved - https://labtestsonline.org/news/fda-...test-menopause
Old 05-09-2019, 10:17 AM

I started getting symptoms around the age of 50. Mostly hot flashes and an irritable feeling. The hot flashes were only at night. I went on HRT. Best thing ever. I was finally able to sleep. Hot flashes were waking me up 3 to 4 times a night. I would feel the heat starting at my feet and shooting up into my chest. I'd wake up and my chest would be slick with sweat. I'm now 57 and still taking estradiol pills. I'm at a lower dose now. My doc wants me to wean off of them within this next year, but I feel so much better when I'm taking them. I'm also afraid of my face turning into a prune if I stop! I still get an occasional hot flash at night but nothing like before. Sex is still good. But lube is a must.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
OMG, kill me now.
#6 "crushing crashing fatigue" Yeah that's it! It's like I've suddenly caught the Death Flu and will soon die.

#46 "increased flatulence" yep...

#49 "changes in body odor" Aha!!
Old 05-09-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW, what does a full-fledged hot flash feel like?
Sometimes you just get "warm flashes" and that's it. Not everyone has the furnace-heat dripping-sweat level of hot flashes.

BTW - what you're going through sounds a lot like what I experienced. I've never had more than "warm flashes" but I have had horrible insomnia issues.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Sometimes you just get "warm flashes" and that's it. Not everyone has the furnace-heat dripping-sweat level of hot flashes.

BTW - what you're going through sounds a lot like what I experienced. I've never had more than "warm flashes" but I have had horrible insomnia issues.
Yes, sometimes I get a "warm flash". Actually mostly I've had "warm flashes". But when the Hot flash strikes it's like I'm being hugged by satan himself.

Someone else mentioned that it starts in their feet - same with me. My very first warm flash I was sitting at the computer and suddenly wondered why my feet were so hot. I thought I was having a stroke or something because suddenly my feet were on fire. It didn't go any further than that and then the next day - boom! Satan hug!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:28 PM

My hot flashes started out like yours, very mild, but eventually escalated to full fledged HOT flashes...as in, I'm sitting in a meeting & suddenly I'm boiling hot, sweating, & short of breath. I look around to see if anyone else looks hot, but nope it's only me. Then after a few minutes it's gone, only to return again when I least expect it. This went on for years until I finally went in for hormone replacement therapy.

So the hot flashes suck, but the lack of periods makes up for it. And my periods were all over the map at first (after a lifetime of every 28 days, no exception outside of pregnancy). They became irregularly long or short, or closer together, or farther apart. Eventually they stopped completely. Welcome to the Club!!
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Normally I wouldn't comment on a thread like this, being male and all, but my beloved just went through the "never ending period." She missed one, then had one that slowed to a trickle but went on until the next one hit full force. Fortunately for her, it actually stopped this time. She made an appointment with the OB-GYN while the never ending one was still going on, but by the time the appointment actually happened it was over. They suggested an endoscopy, which she would definitely get if she were still bleeding. As is, she wants to hold off until it starts again (which it hopefully won't).
Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or you might have one like I did. My period stopped sometime in the fall (September or October, I think) about seven years ago except for one that happened, oh, about 8 months later, which is when (I think) I started getting hot flashes.

All I really remember of it all is that for several months the spring and summer after I stopped having a period, I'd wake up in the middle of night in a puddle of sweat. I don't recall anything happening during the day, though. By Christmas about 15 months later, I was done.

The only real difference I've noticed since then is that my internal temperature seems to be set higher than it was; used to be I'd feel cold when working in an office environment, now I have a fan on half the time.

May your menopause experience be as easy as mine was. I have no idea how I got off so lucky, but I'm grateful.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
The irregular periods are what I warn my pre-menopausal friends about. IRREGULAR DOESN'T MEAN LESS FREQUENT. In my case, I’d have two or 3 periods 2 or 3 weeks apart, then I’d skip 8 weeks. Then another one two weeks later.
Geez, that sounds like what happened to me when I started having my period. My mom had me keep track of it on a calendar. I was a late starter (about 14, I think).

My period wasn't particularly periodic. The cycle averaged out to 43 days, 21 (give or take, I forget the exact numbers, but those are close). My entire first semester of college, I didn't have one at all. And they'd last either 3-5 days with heavy bleeding or go for 2 weeks of spotting. Pure hell trying to figure out when or if I'd need to carry supplies, and at least once in high school I got caught without. My only warning was the low ache in the abdomen, and that never started before I started bleeding.

I regard the easy menopause I had as just compensation for the nonsense at the beginning.

Last edited by Morgyn; 05-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.