Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
And nice job there, dishonestly trying to twist Warren's quote. Massive hypocrisy, anyone? Clearly, she used the past tense because Biden is no longer a Senator, not because they no longer hold differing views.

Bernie Sanders, throughout his entire career, has steadfastly fought against all efforts to cut Social Security, whether it be by eliminating COLA, means-testing, raising the retirement age, or any such shenanigans. He has rejected Republican efforts to claim that adequately caring for our elderly is "too expensive". Joe Biden has consistently been willing, in the name of "bipartisanship", to treat the welfare of elderly and disabled people as a bargaining chip. If you want to argue that cutting benefits to poor people in order to prevent rich people from having to pay their fair share of taxes is a good thing, go for it. If you want to argue that Joe Biden's record isn't what it in fact is, good luck with that. If you just want to keep clutching your pearls about one misleading video instead, you're just revealing that you know you can't win either of those arguments on their merits.
Huh. I was under the impression that 'means-testing' is all about taxing the rich over the poor. And raising the retirement age is not "cutting" SSI. Raising the ceiling to impose more taxes on those better off is also not taxing the rich over the poor. It's taxing those who are wealthier, isn't it?

Biden recognizes that the program is in trouble for people coming down the line, and something needs to be done to fix it for insolvency. Bernie doesn't appear to notice this.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
And if Sanders's gambit was so innocent, why did he apologize?
I'm not aware that he has. Are you conflating this with his apology for some campaign underling linking to an article questioning Biden's personal integrity, which was entirely unrelated to this Social Security issue? AFAICT, when questioned about this video "scandal", he's done what he does, trying to turn the conversation back to policy and away from this kind of sideshow bullshit.

You, like Biden, appear to have bought into the Republican framing that Social Security is "in crisis", and that we need to cut benefits in order to maintain the financial health of the program. Sanders and I disagree, and feel that the way to ensure Social Security's long-term solvency is to tax the rich.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Huh. I was under the impression that 'means-testing' is all about taxing the rich over the poor. And raising the retirement age is not "cutting" SSI. Raising the ceiling to impose more taxes on those better off is also not taxing the rich over the poor. It's taxing those who are wealthier, isn't it?

Biden recognizes that the program is in trouble for people coming down the line, and something needs to be done to fix it for insolvency. Bernie doesn't appear to notice this.
Of course raising the retirement age is cutting SSI. If the retirement age is raised to 70, SSI will be paying out less than it would if the retirement age was 65.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM

So are you going to apologize for doctoring Warren's quote, or would you like to explain why it's OK when you do it?
Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Oh yeah, while you're at it, you could apologize for falsely stating that the Motley Fool article didn't contain information backing up its headline.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 AM

Quote:

I see an ideological argument prepared to support Sanders no matter what. Nothing more. That's sad. If the situation was reversed, I'd be as willing to call out Biden for ugly tactics.
Biden IS using sleazy tactics. He's describing the video as "doctored", which to any normal person implies that the video or audio were tampered with, like for example those videos of Pelosi where the audio was altered to make it sound as though she was slurring her words. It's not synonymous with "edited"! But you're so blindly supportive of Biden that you not only don't denounce him for this lie, you repeat it yourself!
Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think it's going to backfire on Bernie, as it has on every other Democratic primary candidate who has tried to inartfully dirty up their opponents. Bernie has been no more skillful than Kamala Harris was when she tried it against Biden. You'll recall how that worked out for her.
We'll see. If it backfires, it means he didn't do it right. Hopefully the eventual nominee has this skill, because if they don't, I think they might be doomed to lose.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
Of course I would vote for dead Charles Manson over Trump.
Really? A dead person cannot be president. SO you are saying you don't want anyone to be president or you would vote for a live Manson over Trump? if so, you know Manson is a racist right? Is that what you want for president? And you actually think he would be better than Trump?
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

OK. I'm going to take some deep cleansing breaths and recite my mantra. I recommend this procedure to others.

Anyone who commits to voting Democrat in November is my friend and should be treated with respect. Most of us will be disappointed with the outcome of the primary process; all of us need to have our big person pants ready.

All of our candidates are intelligent and honest people who sincerely want to do what they think is best for the country. Focus on policies, not personalities.

Volunteering for the candidate of your choice and reaching out to actual undecided voters is an infinitely more productive and satisfying use of time than getting into message board pissing matches.

A primary is not a tea party. Rival candidates and their supporters will say and do things that piss us off. Be quick to forgive. Holding grudges only helps Trump. Let's emulate Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren, who called each other liars on national television last week and walked arm in arm, smiling, at an MLK Day parade this week.

Namaste.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course raising the retirement age is cutting SSI. If the retirement age is raised to 70, SSI will be paying out less than it would if the retirement age was 65.
No, it's not either. "cutting socsec' is reducing benefits to those already on it. Raising the age helps save SocSec, and people arent retiring as early nowadays.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Biden IS using sleazy tactics. He's describing the video as "doctored", which to any normal person implies that the video or audio were tampered with, like for example those videos of Pelosi where the audio was altered to make it sound as though she was slurring her words. It's not synonymous with "edited"! But you're so blindly supportive of Biden that you not only don't denounce him for this lie, you repeat it yourself!
Cutting the video so that the rest of it, which explains what is going on- is 'doctoring" it. Taking a sound bite out of context is doctoring. The video is doctored to show Biden saying exactly the opposite of what he meant.

Sanders should be ashamed of himself. He needs to withdraw form the race. All he is doing is assuring a trump victory by such sleazy tactics.
Old Today, 03:07 AM

Quote:
All of our candidates are intelligent and honest people who sincerely want to do what they think is best for the country.
I've added emphasis to the above important quote. It's an attempt at humor to say we'd vote for a stale ham sandwich or a dead Manson, but the simple fact is that Almost Every Single Democrat would make a Better President than Almost Every Single Republican.

Mitt Romney and perhaps one or two of the Bush Brothers are the only major GOP politicians the thought of whose Presidency doesn't make me want to vomit. Most of the GOP are totally insincere think of Lindsay Graham or Mike Pence whose hypocrisies astound. Many top Republicans are let's be brutally frank criminals. (Recall that the first two Congressmen to endorse Trump are now en route to Penitentiary.)

There may be a few sincere Republicans other than Romney and the Bushes Rand Paul and John Kasich come to mind but their ideas about what is good for America are so bizarrely wrong, they sicken even someone who might like Paul or Kasich personally.

I understand that progressives are not fond of the moderate Joe Biden. But calling him "Republican Lite" is so mind-bogglingly ignorant that I'll make a note to completely ignore any opinions from any Doper who repeats such a confused thought.
Old Today, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Here is who REALLY wants to cut SocSec:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-say...190352318.html