Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM

Archaeological Hoax Cite Requested

About 40 years ago I read a book about one of the world's leading archaeologists who was being labeled a fraud or the victim of a hoax. He alleged that while traveling on a train in Turkey he met a beautiful woman who later introduced him to a friend who had a vast collection of artifacts from a previously unknown ancient civilization, one that seemed contemporary with the Egyptians and Sumerians. He was allowed to draw pictures of the artifacts, but was not permitted to take any with him when he left. For one reason or another he never saw the woman or her friend again, but he published his drawings and insisted the artifacts were genuine. The archaeological world refused to accept his story. This is where the matter stood when the book was published.

Recently I have spent hours on the internet trying to find out how it all played out, but not remembering the archaeologist's name or any of the specific details, I have failed.

Can anyone help me out? Do you know the archaeologist's name or can you provide a cite to a discussion of the incident?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
BANNED

I tried to find info on the net for you but no luck. I like these mysteries too. I do recall a similar story relating to the lost city of Troy, a German archaeologist and a woman on a train wearing a gold headpiece...
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM

Heinrich Schliemann has been accused of grabbing archaeologist Frank Calvert's work at Troy.
http://archaeology.about.com/od/anci...a/homeric1.htm

There's no mention of a woman on a train.
Quote:
at the end of the summer he dropped in on the archaeologist Frank Calvert. Calvert, a British archaeologist, was among the decided minority among scholars; he believed that Hisarlik was the site of Homeric Troy, but had had difficulty convincing the British Museum to support his excavations. He had put trenches into Hisarlik in 1865 and found enough evidence to convince himself that he had found the correct site. Calvert recognized that Schliemann had the money and chutzpah to get the additional funding and permits to dig at Hisarlik. Calvert spilt his guts, beginning a partnership he would learn to regret.

Last edited by aceplace57; 12-28-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Damn, I roughly know what you are talking about, I *think* there wa ssomething about it several weeks or so ago on fortean times in their breaking news section. Ill go rummage around there and report back if i manage to find anything.

I know the article on it had a photo of the archeologist, and a few of the sketches, I know it had some sort of illustrations.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Incredible! I was driving home today and it all popped into my mind. The archaeologist was James Mellart, the discover of Catal Huyuk in Turkey, one of the great archaeological finds of the 20th century. The episode that brought him down was called the Dorak Affair. I think it was never satisfactorily resolved.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Cool. I love the "oh yeah, that's it!" sensation. I think that's one of the reasons why Memento was such a good film.

If you know (or can find) other details you should add them to his Wiki page. It looks like he's still teaching, so it can't be all that bad (can it?).

From the sound of the story, I wonder if it's been repeated in order to bash (or prop up, religion is funny that way) Mormonism. Beautiful X, shares secrets, secrets copied down, etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

and his page had a link to the article I read online - http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0510/S00120.htm
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

I agree that it was James Mellaart.

The story is really well told in (link to Amazon.com):
The Goddess and the Bull: Catalhoyuk: An Archaeological Journey to the Dawn of Civilization

Last edited by lynne-42; 12-29-2009 at 06:21 AM.